Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bloopsy posted:

Lol what

Brave was started after Brandon Eich got booted from mozilla because he donated to anti-gay causes and political candidates. (Not anti-trans, but this was 15 years ago before trans panic became the new chud obsession.)

Brave itself was all about being the crypto browser. They have/had their own crypto-coin (which they used to steal money by allowing people to "donate" to content creators, then just keeping it until said creators actually did something to get it). They integrate a bunch of crypto-wallet and market stuff (and then did stuff like replace links to other crypto markets with their own affiliate links).

Don't use brave. Not because it's founded by a conservative (half the other software you use was made by libertarian techbros). But because they've done some untrustable poo poo in the past and shown themselves to be grifters.

edit: oh, looks like they've moved on from crypto grifting to installing a VPN service without consent

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

On launch it imports your bookmarks/passwords and can sync them to a free account like Google does.

As a dedicated Firefox fan, I will say this: firefox's password management kinda sucks and you should get a password manager. Bitwarden is good and free, 1password is even better but has a subscription, and keepass is free and good if you are enough of a nerd.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

I've never had an issue except for occasionally when Firefox won't know to autofill something. But it is quick to get into the list of stored passwords in those occasions. My friend kept telling me to use LastPass up until they were hacked.

So the basic problem is, in firefox every saved password is keyed to a website address and you can't change the address. So when your bank goes through a merger or the power company changes from billing.powercompany.com to account.powercompany.com, you can't easily update the saved password. Multiple urls using the same identity is also impossible.

Secondly, firefox saved passwords are not locally secure* unless you use a master password, but that feature in firefox is pretty annoying because it has no timeout / grace period. Log in to 3 things in a row, type your password 3 times.

*ie, if someone can read your hard drive, they can read your passwords

And yeah, don't use lastpass.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Microplastics posted:

This thread has lots of various solutions listed in it, with various levels of effort-to-effectiveness, but I'm a lazy goon who can't be bothered to pick through them. Has anyone compiled a handy list?

Here's the list:
1. get Firefox
2. install ublock origin
3. if youtube gives you poo poo about adblock, do this:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Solefald posted:

Hey friends. Please don't post links to obvious scam/spam sites??????????? :thanks:

you're not the boss of me, I'm gonna win that ipod one of these days!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've found if you watch a lot of youtube with adblock you occasionally have to clear cookies to reset the lock-out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jisae posted:

Lately I've noticed that volume is no longer consistent video-to-video so in order to hear anything I have to jack the volume up and then get spooked by how loving loud any windows/discord notifications are. Personally I'm using firefox and ublock but my partner has a paid youtube subscription and the volume issue is also present for them.

Volume being inconsistent is on whoever uploaded the videos. Someone didn't normalize the volume so it's too quiet, or compressed it hot to be louder, or whatever. Youtube doesn't mess with that, they just re-encode to their preferred formats.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

There's no way to extract video without javascript since yesterday

there's no way to view 99% of large sites without javascript

if you're gonna block javascript in ublock -- and I do this, it's great, you can cut out so much bullshit -- you have to be willing to twiddle the red & grey boxes until the site works again

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AutismVaccine posted:

I had for the first time a chair ad appear in the video list on the right side.

Is this new?

I am running FF with UBO Noscript Sponsorblock and some cookieblocker.

Ublock Origin and every other ad block runs on filters that have to get updated by people when companies like Google change poo poo. It takes a few days sometimes, particularly when Google starts slow by only showing the new ad to 10% of viewers or whatever.

You can add a custom rule like you did, or just wait.

Waiting is my general recommendation because a filter you make today sometimes causes problems 3 years later when they use "sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope" for something that's not an ad and it breaks the layout. And you've long since forgotten.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EVIL Gibson posted:

The new Ask AI option with the preloaded request to "summarize the video" is a life saver for those videos.

The videos that do:

• is narrated by a person with a super thick accent
  • is narrated by a person with a voice to put you to sleep plus you know it includes mumbling
  • the video is artificially extended with pointless drivel to push the run time past 10 minutes . you can try to guess where the point is talked about but :shrug:
  • half of the video is literally just sponsorships, like & subscribe & hit the bell, and/or a very long outro talking about their other videos

Sponsorblock helps with the last two bullet points, but the Ask summary helps with the first two.

For those that want more details here's an example of how you can change the prompt get more details copy the following and store it as a clipboard pin (on Gboard ) so you don't need to copy and paste it every time.

I demonstration of the video 1976: Mr Buckle's BRINY ENGINE | Nationwide | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive.

Normal summary on the left with the one created by my prompt on the right

There is one downside though. Sometimes the video is so pointless and just has THE ONE FACT that the AI just gives up. I see it as the AI finding it so impossible to squeeze any more information out of a low effort video that it can be compared to squeezing blood out of a rock

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are AI Video Summaries Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Link Like Nigga Close The Tab Haha.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PhazonLink posted:

how the hell are you guys still get ad leaks? i dont get them and I have autoupdate disabled for ublock?

if you have auto-update disabled for ublock the extension, that's not the same as auto-update of ublock's filters

PhazonLink posted:

like do I technically have a better UX because I used youtube unlogged in?

yes. I don't have ads leaking through, but most of the time I have to watch videos in private windows. If I watch them while logged in I get blocked by the "adblockers violate youtube TOS" message.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Google's coming for Revanced and Newpipe now:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/youtube-will-start-blocking-third-party-clients-that-dont-show-ads/

dunno how that's gonna work out for them

Revanced might have some trouble, being a hack of the official youtube app means they're more limited in options. AFAIK only thing they have to fetch video is the official API that the yt app has. But newpipe has multiple options, including being the chad web scraper and just parsing youtube's website.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

R.L. Stine posted:

newpipe owns but pretty much 99% of my youtube consumption is poo poo like 'thunderstorm and rain cottage ambience' and 'haunted crypt sounds 10 hours' because my tinnitus is severe and gives me full blown panny attacks when i'm reading at night. i should just rip the audio

Magnetic North posted:

I had no loving idea how to rip the audio out of YT vid.

yt-dlp -f 251 "youtubevideourl"

(if you want to be fancy, add --embed-thumbnail --remux-video mp4 before the youtube url to get cover art)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

What's the reason why they wouldn't use DRM on everything? I assume it has something to do with the costs associated with rolling it out, authenticating, various server overhead, potential customer problems, paying additional staff, licensing tech if they don't do it completely in-house, etc. Those costs, or potential costs, must be significant. Probably easier to just continue an arms race breaking such tools, as with ad blockers?

When I first discovered it, I was shocked how many titles from various sites can be downloaded with yt-dlp, no DRM on that stuff at all. Yet, random videos on (for instance) Tubi will have DRM enabled, most others don't. Just kinda interesting.

No to licensing cost -- widevine DRM is owned by google.

I'd put it mostly on avoiding customer problems. Youtube got where it is by being the most convenient, no barrier place to watch video.

Secondly, it'd add overhead during the encode process (when the video gets uploaded and converted into yt's formats). Less than the encoding itself, but people upload a lot of video to youtube. Google designs custom video encoding chips to handle it.

Third, it wouldn't help in their quest to make everyone watch ads. If you can watch a "free with ads" movie on youtube with ublock, you don't see ads!

And lastly, in the long term it doesn't do any good. All DRM is breakable, one way or another. There are pirate releases of streaming shows. The higher-protection encryption on like Netflix and HBO 4k streams is difficult, but not impossible. The low-protection version is pretty trivial by comparison and if google turned it on for all youtube I think you'd see automated tool appearing pretty quick. "The more you tighten your grip, the more pirates will slip through your fingers."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

Is it difficult? Wouldn't any decent screen capture software easily do it? If the video is showing on your screen and the audio is coming out of your speakers, seems it shouldn't exactly be hard.

This is why netflix won't give you 4k streams on PC unless you're using Edge, with TPM turned on, and connected to a display with HDCP HDMI. And windows will block screen recording.

OTOH breaking HDMI protection is not difficult, so yeah you can feed video from anything that can watch the high-quality streams into a capture device. But that sucks. You lose quality by re-encoding, and have audio sync worries, and no subtitles, blech. The real pirates are attacking the encryption itself, finding ways to recover the keys and decrypt the whole thing. Now you don't have to capture and reencode anything, you have the full quality video exactly as Netflix made it, but without DRM.

susan b buffering posted:

I think pirates generally just capture the decoded stream from memory rather than recording their screen though.

I dunno what they're doing now, but until pretty recently they were using Nvidia Shields because they had a flaw that allowed an attacker to read from the protected enclave. No capture needed, just start the stream on a shield and grab the key, then download the entire thing and decrypt. gently caress waiting around for 8 hours capturing every episode of the new season, slurp up that whole thing in 20 minutes.

Then all the content providers revoked keys for the Shield, so people who paid $150 for the best streaming device now have pumpkins that are limited to 1080p basic streams.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you are using a half-decent torrent program you can tell it to:
1. only download some files
2. prioritize some files to download them first when possible

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Microplastics posted:

I recently discovered magnetdl.com which, last I checked, didn't even need a VPN to get to

LMAO you don't need a VPN to get to torrent search sites. You need the VPN to download a torrent without the MPAA seeing that you are downloading their poo poo.

Torrents are extremely public. It's simple to monitor stuff like the list of IP addresses downloaded Madame Web last week. They then look up which ISP owns 192.420.6.9, go to that ISP, and say "who was using that ISP on Thursday the 18th?" At which point there are 3 answers:

1. you have a major ISP like Comcast or Verizon, who says "It was Microplastics, who lives on 22 Butts St."
2. you have a small and cool ISP like Sonic who says "Do you have a subpoena?" and then turns around and sends you a letter saying "if you download anything else we'll kick you off"
3. you have a good VPN, who says "we have no idea who was using that IP on the 18th, we don't keep records".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

steinrokkan posted:

No, exciting new tech is how things turn to poo poo. "Download a file to your drive and play it" is literally perfection and there's no need to change it

The exciting new tech for piracy is Usenet, the tech that's older than anyone ITT.