Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Why do you need a personalised shopping experience? If I'm looking for shoes, I select my shoe size and maybe narrow it down to a style. I don't need the website to track me across the entire internet and fill that in for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I use it in work because we're not allowed to install anything else. Its fine but I wouldn't want to use it for personal browsing.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

verbal enema posted:

I've seen one (1) ad in my life that ever caught my attention and it was for some badass collapsible steel staff thing

Should bought it....

The only time an "advert" worked on me was the Pica Pencil that Laura Kampf and Adam Savage use, but that's because its actually a good pencil and I was in the market for a decent mechanical pencil at the time.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

This has now become a recurring thing whenever I check YT (like 12 hours apart, at breakfast & before bed usually). Updating filters fixes it every time, but if it's just the one tab incognito is fine.

Ad servers can eat my whole butt. Literally every content creator I follow has made the same statement about how they just do it for fun, YT isn't their job & doesn't pay squat anyway, and if you WANT to pay them there's a patreon/ko-fi/merch store/whatever.

The filter list that uBlock uses for the new YouTube fixes is called "Quick Fixes", and gets updated every 12 hours, you probably just happen get updates just before they're pushed to you normally.

shirunei posted:

half of the goons still posting here have a boomer's familiarity with tech tho

Fairly certain there's GUIs for it, its not exactly hard to use though.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I think people who use command line stuff regularly needs to understand that they are weirdo freaks who don't realize how poo poo command line stuff is. Well they don't need to understand that they just should shut the gently caress up and not suggest command line solutions to the majority of people when other options exist. Yep.

If you're too stupid to type "yt-dlp" and past in the link of the video you want downloaded, you don't deserve to download the thing. gently caress, I'm fairly certain that if you drag the link of a video onto the yt-dlp exe it'll just download the thing without any typing.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm running Linux Mint with their version of Firefox + uBlock origin and am always logged in, not had any ads yet at all. :shrug:

Are they more heavily focused on the USA cause i'm in the UK?

Literally the same as you, Mint with Firefox and uBO in the UK and I don't get ads, but I have been getting the no adblocking popup now and then. The last time I saw it it was on strike 3 of 3, so I guess the next time it shows might be interesting. I think if you don't use YouTube much and you're lucky with the filter updates you'll never see it as the filters update every 12 hours.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
uBO updates them every 12 hours, you only need to update manually if YouTube has updated their blocking in the time between your filters updating.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Elukka posted:

Fun fact you can take the video id from the url of a short and paste it in the place of a video id in a normal video's url and then you get it in regular video format.

I like how shorts are just a worse UI but TikTok is popular so YouTube wants to be like TikTok.

To add to this, I use the Redirector plugin to do that for me automatically.

https://einaregilsson.com/redirector/

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently YouTube adds a 5 second delay to the loading time if you're running Firefox. Because that's a perfectly normal, none evil thing to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/17ywbjj/comment/k9w3ei4/

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Croccers posted:

From the comments it sounds folks are saying it's lazy code who's job is to make sure an ad is up for 5 seconds.

Why does the code not appear if you pretend to be Chrome then?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Croccers posted:

You read through this nerd crap and figure it out
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/17ywbjj/comment/ka08uqj/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

There's no doubt that Google is up to poo poo for sure, but Firefox and Gamer GX don't have a 5 second pause atm on my PC so :shrug:

I started getting it over the weekend, I just figured the site was being useless, didn't think it was intentional though.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I've tried a private Invidious instance too but I never used it as I want my subscriptions, plus the recommendations on YouTube have actually been very mildly useful recently for what feels like the first time in years.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The reason that videos play in lower quality on PC is because you're using a browser to access the content. As the content is, likely, "protected" with Widevine you're limited to level 3 protection which only allows lower resolutions. If you have hardware you can get level 2 or level 1 access which then allows you to watch the higher resolution content.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'm forced to use Edge in work and it now does that on the main window too. It shouldn't matter but it annoyed the hell out of me until I found out how to turn it off.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Mebh posted:

Finally got round to setting up revanced properly, where you basically download an old .apk and then run it through the manager to modify it yourself. Fascinating process that makes you feel way more tech savvy than you actually are.

Have to turn auto updates off on my phone though so it never updates and goddamn, I did not realise that nearly every single android app updates a few times a week. It's nuts.

You can go onto the app store for individual apps and select just those to not update, that's why I've done.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They must have changed something over the weekend as my Kodi plugin stopped working and I've seen people say that other things they use for accessing YouTube are having issues too.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

pyknosis posted:

I wanted to rewatch Star Trek TNG a few weeks ago but the only stealing methods I could find (do we still get banned for talking about this?) were absurdly large file size 4k remastered versions.... it was almost inconvenient enough to make me pay for Paramount Plus.

That's jut how it is. 1GB an episode would be okayish 1080p quality, and there's what, 176 episodes? You're going to be downloading a lot of data simply because of how many episodes there is.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

goatface posted:

I know torrents still exist, but it really feels like a technology of the past. Like you're getting stuff off Kazaa or something.

I'll admit it took some setting up, but I have a program that I give a list of TV shows to and I point it at my torrent client and my media centre software and it handles everything. I just turn the TV on and the shows are there, ready to watch from the comfort of my couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
If you're really command line averse there's always been GUIs for it, I've never used any though because I'm a Linux user/masochist.