Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I saw an ad on YouTube once because I was using a boomer computer and it was some Nestle image campaign or something. I muted it immediately and looked away. Pretty scary experience overall, so I'm not thrilled about this development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

I just started getting pop ups on chrome that I can't close until a timer runs down. Guess I'm moving to Firefox now. Every now and then, I'll watch YouTube on my phone or somewhere else without ad blockers or sponsorskip. Every video is something like 25 percent ads. It's a joke.

Vivaldi is a good Chromium based mobile browser with ad blocking already build in. Never seen a YT ad while using it.

Firefox mobile was somewhat of a trash fire a year or two ago when I tried it last. Very slow and buggy. Dunno how much it has improved since then.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

goatface posted:

The collapse of the online marketing industry would destroy a lot of things. Some of them might even be missed.

It would be absolutely apocalyptic. Something like 80% of the modern Internet is financed through ads. We'd all have to go outside or paint an aquarelle or whatever people used to do in the past

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be honest: running something like YT costs a shitton of money and it needs to be financed somehow. Since creating a good public video platform is unrealistic for so many reasons, a monthly subscription fee is probably the best we gonna get. You pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate + some markup and the company doesn't molest you with pointless ads or sells your deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammer or the Trump 2026 campaign. It's an ok deal

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, I was speaking hypothetically. I have no idea how exactly YT Red works. I don't really care enough about YT to pay for it.

I'm kinda fine with how it's implemented in Spotify though. You actually pay the company for the services you use and in exchange they don't do any shady poo poo to you and have an incentive to improve service quality instead of building another skinner box that will make your life worse. (Admittedly, Spotify doesn't really have a lot of data on me that they can sell so I don't worry about it. But with anything related to social media I would probably need some kind of independent auditing that confirms that data isn't sold or used for nefarious purposes like marketing)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dropping hard truths itt:

The janitors at the TSMC factory or the electrical engineers at Intel or the cafeteria staff at the YT offices are not gonna get up at 6am every day and work their lovely jobs for 8 hours without some compensation(especially not if it's just so people can watch Anime dating game LPs for free)

They want some money for the tedious work and none of you nerds click on ads or vote for candidates in the ads. Actually, you are freeloading off bonzi buddy and malware blasted boomers who are hoarding various cheap juicers and herbal supplements in their basement

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you stay too long on the couch watching Netflix you can get thrombosis and die. It's no joke

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

i love how regressives and other dumb freeze peaches people scream about censorship, yet here we are with users choosing to self censor with weird code speak like that "red" or unlive.

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Finally got locked out on Firefox. Was just clicking the go away buttons. What's the workaround again?

The workaround is to read a book or build a squirrel feeder

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Netflix reports a huge bump in subscribers after limiting account sharing and adding ads for lower tier subscriptions and the bump was much bigger than they expected. Their stock is soaring.

Prepare for more enshitification everywhere cause enshitification is working out really well for the stock holders

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rent should be high enough so landlords don't need to live off of tips

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Everyone keeps saying that Google collects a shitton of data and knows everything about you, yet I get nothing but worthless poo poo ads for depression therapy apps and medical deodorant all day. I don't know how they manage to stay in business

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think they genuinely don't give a poo poo. Someone with an ad blocker is just a useless expense to them that they are probably even happy to avoid

The only exception is during the growth/pre-revenue phase or if their business model relies on user generated content/community engagement

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This is so humiliating, it feels like it's more about power and dominance than about profit

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is there a patent for a feature where it shows you four of your most pathetic Google searches and then you need to circle the most pathetic one with your remote and type "I'm a bad and worthless human being and everyone only pretends to like me out of politeness and I will never feel good again" and if you make a typo you have to start again? Billionaires would pay to place these, cause, let's be honest, once your net worth reaches $10 billion, money doesn't do it anymore but this could

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

If you aren't getting the adblock warning it's because ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE at google has calculated that they'll make more money from not banning you :nsa:

If you got the warning it means their psychological model shows you are a spineless worm and will give in and turn off the blocker

Still haven't received anything as of today morning on Vivialdi mobile :smugdog:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Xun posted:

How do you have your Vivaldi mobile configured? I'm really annoyed at how android Firefox handles tabs but Vivaldis adblock isn't as good as ublock.

Nothing special, I just use it straight out of the box. I'm never logged into YT though and usually open links in a new private tab.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Firefox definitely has its problems. Some sites don't work in it (probably lack of testing with it, since its marketshare is so small) so you do have to keep an alternative browser around anyway. And it's also getting enshittified, just like everything else. Currently it's the completely unsolicited bloatware features they tack on all the time. Like, a couple of weeks ago they added an "auto translate this page" popup every time it detects a non-english language and since I always use it in private mode I gotta click through it three times(for each language I speak) after every time I restart the browser. The design decision behind that is mind boggling and worrisome.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hope one day they will do a reboot of Mad Men set in 2023. Millennial Don wears a beanie and a mustache and instead of alcohol he is micro dosing shrooms and doing DMT during bathroom breaks and on one of his trips the machine elves give him the idea of the snarky rear end in a top hat Wendy's Twitter account

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Croccers posted:

I want to know, do these Senior Dev people browse the internet themselves without ad blockers?
Forgot to re-enable my ad blocker yesterday and got a quick glimpse of the current state of online advertising

(Photovoltaic: This is the most expensive mistake people make)

I don't have a house or any idea who could possibly benefit from me seeing this crap between news articles.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Yeah for real, letting these companies monopolize what are basically the essential basics of the modern web is a bad move
A simple executive tax could easily cover a public YouTube for the world to use.

There is already a public youtube and it's called rutube and it's really great. It's the best

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, Youtube has turned off the starting page if you open it in a private tab. You just get a message to turn on cookies and activate some settings to get it back and you have to do that every time you open it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The General posted:

Just wait until somebody does this

Sounds like a cool forums feature. Before you can quote a post, chatgpt would give you a short quiz to check if you actually read it. I hope you are seeing this JEFFREY. The incidents of people replying to posts without reading them are through the roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Is it difficult? Wouldn't any decent screen capture software easily do it? If the video is showing on your screen and the audio is coming out of your speakers, seems it shouldn't exactly be hard.

IIRC the image is decrypted on the monitor itself, so Windows could at best only capture an encrypted image. Usually it just shows up us a black blank image in the screen recording.

But as many other people itt already said, there many ways to get around the scheme. It's far from perfect and now only serves to deter the least motivated pirates.