Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Why does the code not appear if you pretend to be Chrome then?

chrome has more features for tracking and reporting back what you click on. gotta polyfill that for other browsers

e: oh, wait, no it looks every browser has some form of hyperlink auditing now. loving webdev

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they doing something with video buffering now? If I play a video in Chrome with uBlock Origin fully up-to-date it buffers every 10s or so and rarely recovers. Do it in a incognito window and it plays fine after the adverts have shown.

got some bad news for you about chrome and ublock origin in the near future

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Can it import ancient tabs, I've been cultivating a few for a couple years now and never know when I might read them or order those stickers.

tab people usually don’t know this, but you can save all of those as bookmarks

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Kestral posted:

Is there a decent YouTube adblocking solution on iOS? I rarely use YouTube on mobile, but just now I went to check something on there and was served a 60-second ad on a 2 minute video, and that’s really the last straw for me.

haven’t had a single issue in safari on ios or mac. not sure if it’s because of the extensions i was already using—wipr and vinegar—or if it’s because i use cloud identity for all of my personal google stuff. maybe work your way up that list and see how it goes?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Microplastics posted:

This thread has lots of various solutions listed in it, with various levels of effort-to-effectiveness, but I'm a lazy goon who can't be bothered to pick through them. Has anyone compiled a handy list?

sure thing buddy, here’s that list for you:
  • don’t use chrome

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Nettle Soup posted:

The inbuilt youtube autocaptions are so poo poo. Yes, just censor or entirely miss out any even slightly offensive or naughty words. Great. I'm sure those who are deaf or deafened will thank you for that. It's great that they exist at all, but it also drives me mad.

anyone who’s ever interacted with deaf people knows they hate to swear and are absolutely terrible at it :dumb:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Seven Force posted:

I figured they had given up for at least a while because I haven't seen ANY adblock notice in a month or so

morale is dire over there right now. can’t imagine anyone assigned to this nonsense has their heart in it. plus with the way google works internally anyone with the talent to keep this garbage going will inevitably be promoted to the next big shiny project. it’s a death sentence to your career otherwise

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

sponsorblock sounds like a good idea in theory, but if you’re purposefully watching stuff that needs sponsorblock you’ve probably already inflicted irreversible psychic damage on yourself

still time to save what’s left though

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

https://www.sophiajt.com/youtube-addiction-one-month-sober/
:thunk:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

think of it as your chance to find freedom and live a better life

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Zero VGS posted:

Funniest outcome would be that AI is ultimately turned into a tool to utterly obliterate all ads on all apps, block serving ads, blur out product placements, cut out all sponsors like SponsorBlock but without any crowdsourced intervention, advertising companies like Google fold and we get Dot Com Bubble 2.0

The only surviving advertisements are the clips Adam Sandler movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHY_5psG5w

people gotta stop using chrome for that

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

best place to get your star trek is through a little something called star trek complete series in stardate watch order

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Khanstant posted:

I tried typing this and it just selects different desktop icons. That website is busted

skill issue

step 1.) install a package manager
  • chocolatey for windows
  • homebrew for mac
  • reevaluate your life choices if you’re using linux and don’t know how to do this already

step 2.) install yt-dlp and ffmpeg
  • windows:
    code:
    choco install yt-dlp && choco install ffmpeg
  • mac:
    code:
    brew install yt-dlp && brew install ffmpeg

step 3.) read the manual
  • if you’re too dumb to do that just type:
    code:
    yt-dlp "YOUTUBE URL GOES HERE"
  • for example:
    code:
    yt-dlp "youtube.com/watch?v=LmD_67RPVmQ"

step 4.) use your package manager to keep all your stuff updated
  • windows:
    code:
    choco upgrade all
  • mac:
    code:
    brew update && brew upgrade

it’s that easy. you just type this stuff into your terminal. video will download into whatever folder you run the command in

e: fixed some curly quotes :argh:

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

R.L. Stine posted:

how to download a youtube video for people who rarely have a reason to use command line: begin by installing centOS

excuse me i think you mean almalinux
:goonsay: