Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Martin short is a very unfunny man who famous people really want me to think is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Jiminy Glick was pretty funny to teenaged me when it came out.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he was born and bred to be the face of canada at epcot

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I fuckin’ loved The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley when I was a kid. A nice one two punch of kooky with Pee Wee’s Playhouse on Saturday mornings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VsIkoyAR4

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

haljordan posted:

Steve Martin dressing up like an Egyptian and dancing around was apparently a monumental moment in comedy history, pop culture is fuckin' bizarre.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7267772520500186410

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i think i just saw worse - Colbert with Covid, delivering his monologue from home in front of a (pretty lovely looking) curtain and no crowd told to laugh.

haljordan posted:

Steve Martin dressing up like an Egyptian and dancing around was apparently a monumental moment in comedy history, pop culture is fuckin' bizarre.

great prologue for the Reagan 80s - just dumb entertainment with a solid dose of racism

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Vegetable posted:

Martin short is a very unfunny man who famous people really want me to think is funny
this is a very terrible opinion

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Martin Short is fine but only in small doses. Only Murders In The Building does a fantastic job of never QUITE giving us Too Much Martin Short.

As for the King Tut song, it has a legit satirical point it's trying to make which puts it head and shoulders above most of the milquetoast common-denominator writing on SNL these days.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
SNL had some well-defined competition for the 14-24yo demographic in the 80s/90s. On one of the few nights of the week when kids/teens could hang out or stay up late with some more freedom, you had some option for programming to watch that was 'edgy'.

Music centric metal heads were tuning into Headbangers Ball at the same time on MTV. Fox was doing Mad TV. You had USA UP All Night for campy movies with comedy hosts. The weirdos were watching whatever late-night PBS, TNT, or TBS had to offer as counter programming.

Does any channel have anything in that window, anymore? I vaguely remember Fox trying to do the ADHD line-up on Saturdays around the SNL timeslot as their Adult Swim thing. Is Adult Swim's Saturday Anime schedule (?) still a big thing when it's airing live?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Martin Short is fine but only in small doses. Only Murders In The Building does a fantastic job of never QUITE giving us Too Much Martin Short.

no, i watched the first season of this and several episodes had too much martin short

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

martin short is an incredible entertainer. as a master of ceremonies or as a guest on a talkshow, he's truly top tier.

as a comedian exclusively he's just ok.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
snl is a victim of its own success. imagine watching like happy days then turning on snl. it would blow your mind. but now everything is unfiltered and uncensored that snl has no more space or boundaries to push on a major network. so they leaned heavy into silly stuff but even that was done better. so what can snl do other than bow out? all this was true 25 years ago.

they get celebrity guests and that's it. but social media has occupied that space too. the music industry is zombified so who can they feature? it's a dead format.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Agreed, it's Short's best performance in years.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
You know a better weekly show for guest celebrities to show up and have a chance to play against type?

Law and Order.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

watching that Turn On video posted a couple days ago reminds me, it's time to bring back The Television Wheel (AKA the original XBOX)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meqonUzc-pI

Joel left MST3K to bring us this masterpiece

e: episode begins about 12 min in if you don't want to watch the prologue

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does any channel have anything in that window, anymore? I vaguely remember Fox trying to do the ADHD line-up on Saturdays around the SNL timeslot as their Adult Swim thing. Is Adult Swim's Saturday Anime schedule (?) still a big thing when it's airing live?

its a zombie timeslot for new max originals. they spent a shitload on original animes that keep getting delayed (uzumaki is totally coming out you guys) and adult swim is a just a rick and morty production pipeline now

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I thought the Rick and Morty guy got outed as a horrible sex pest? Are they just posting through it? I never watched but I assumed they canceled it when that news broke

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

great big cardboard tube posted:

I thought the Rick and Morty guy got outed as a horrible sex pest? Are they just posting through it? I never watched but I assumed they canceled it when that news broke

They fired and replaced him

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The funniest thing about Steve Martin is that he’s such a socially-awkward introvert off-camera that it’s been said “to be alone in a room with Steve Martin is to be in an empty room.”

I’ll also go to the mat for Only Murders in the Building, it’s been a very fun mystery comedy series.

It’s also the only boomer-detective-show I’ve seen where all the jokes are at the expense of boomers

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jelly posted:

this is a very terrible opinion

Why? Because it doesn't take into account the feelings of people with bad taste it might hurt?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The King Tut song: You have to remember, it was 1977 or whatever. TV was a vast wasteland of whitebread lameness. Heck, TV went off the air - there was no TV after like 1AM, it just turned to static after some patriotic song! It was different time, a less funny time. And so, this white dude with gray hair singing about King Tut (The mummy and associated items from King Tut's tomb was big news around then too, hence the topical satire) had America rolling. It was making fun of something in the news, with a historical/cultural edge.

Questions? Comments?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

haljordan posted:

He's also a big art nerd, a few years ago he gave a talk at an Institute around where I live and people got mad because he didn't like, recite every line from The Jerk or whatever
When asked why he kept making Father of the Bride movies, Steve Martin said something like “it gets me more money so I can buy more art.”

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

haljordan posted:

He's also a big art nerd, a few years ago he gave a talk at an Institute around where I live and people got mad because he didn't like, recite every line from The Jerk or whatever

When someone mentioned this to him, he reportedly went, "Well, EXCUUUUUUUSE MEEEE!"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Back in my day people were saying SNL wasn't funny, but they kept watching it in case there was a Celebrity Jeopardy skit.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

haljordan posted:

This remains the greatest thing ever written about SNL (and perhaps TV in general):

https://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/47548/

Whoa that’s a great read thanks for sharing. Crazy how in 1995 random New Yorkers were getting prank calls from Sandler & Farley. Then they got fired at the end of the season?! Incredible time capsule of someone trying to shame Farley into calming down during meetings when his clips are probably the only thing anyone looks at from that season in present day.

Still weird how Lorne Michaels is a gatekeeper for 50 years for American comedy with huge cultural impact, not because of talent but mostly just being there when the place opened. Didn’t know until that article mentioned it his penchant for surrounding himself with young assistants he sometimes marries.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It's okay. I'm not watching it because it's not funny to me but if it makes people chuckle and they enjoy their time watching it then I'm happy for them

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Anyone who gets a meeting with Lorne has to wait outside his office for like an hour and a half no matter what, because he's a petty shithead

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Friend of mine likes watching old SNL episodes due to how weird some of them end up being. He sent me a clip of a sketch from the Phil Hartman era which is about a family after eating Thanksgiving dinner, where they sit on the couch, talk about how much they ate, undo their belts, and each fall asleep. There are absolutely no jokes throughout the entire thing.

But the YouTube comments are nothing but people saying, "Man, what a classic! They don't make sketches this good anymore!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if i catch anyone enjoying snl, that’s it, they’re toast

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Gavok posted:

Friend of mine likes watching old SNL episodes due to how weird some of them end up being. He sent me a clip of a sketch from the Phil Hartman era which is about a family after eating Thanksgiving dinner, where they sit on the couch, talk about how much they ate, undo their belts, and each fall asleep. There are absolutely no jokes throughout the entire thing.

But the YouTube comments are nothing but people saying, "Man, what a classic! They don't make sketches this good anymore!"

makinnnnnnnnnnnggggggg copieeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
snl would've been canceled in 1980 if it weren't for eddie murphy, and it would've been canceled in 1996 if it weren't for will ferrell

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

snl would've been canceled in 1980 if it weren't for eddie murphy, and it would've been canceled in 1996 if it weren't for will ferrell

And the woman producing SNL in 1980 had to basically be forced to take Eddie, she wanted Robert Townsend instead

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 17, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DaveWoo posted:

Who’s keeping it alive now?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Who’s keeping it alive now?

Indifference and inertia

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GolfHole posted:

It's kind of amazing how big that character became considering the first appearance bombed hard.

Anyway, I liked the Google interview bit in the new episode. Though, "Character takes an embarrassing poo poo" is a punchline SNL uses a LOT in the last decade.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Gavok posted:

Anyway, I liked the Google interview bit in the new episode. Though, "Character takes an embarrassing poo poo" is a punchline SNL uses a LOT in the last decade.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

GolfHole posted:

You likea da juice?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

haljordan posted:

Indifference and inertia

yeah pretty much lol

seriously, though, the current cast really is missing any kind of breakout stars right now; the closest i can think of is james autsin johnson, who does good political impressions but who really wants to hear trump rambling for the four hundredth time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

I like how people use hilarious 30 Rock scenes to demonstrate that SNL isn’t good.