Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine being home on a Saturday night watching TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol "SNL was never funny". Some of y'all are spoiled and don't realize it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Les Os posted:

When Lorne croaks y’all think the show goes with him? Who would they get to replace him, Dennis Miller? That’s like Attila the Hun replacing Napoleon at the Battle of Algiers

lol I understood this reference, coochi-coo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

huh posted:

I've never understood the saccharine ending to this show. The music, the hugging and celebrating each other's existence, the waving to the audience. It just seems so contrived. Also, I am Australian.

That's an actor thing. They do that at stage plays too.

And consider the cast has been working together probably pretty hard for a few days at least and I'm sure it feels great when it's over.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Roleplaying Dad posted:

I'm too old to stay up for SNL anymore anyway. Nothing beats falling asleep before midnight.

I can't even make 11 these days.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

Like everyone else, I cannot stop forgetting this exists. I thought Paramount+ was bad but it has at least five interesting things like the Star Trek franchise, Twin Peaks, Ninja Turtles, Detroiters and Review. What does Peacock have?

Premier League, if you're into that kinda thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

Who is the single biggest star to ever come out of SNL? Gotta be Eddie Murphy, right?

Bill Murray.

Murphy was a huge star, but he fell pretty hard and never recovered.

Murray's been trucking along since the 70's as a star.

Will Ferrell has to be in the top five.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

Sandler is top 5 as well.

Yeah, for sure.

I'm trying to think of another top 5. Mike Meyers? Martin Short? Billy Crystal?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

steve martin

Only a guest, never a cast member, I think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I almost made a separate thread for this, but somebody please explain Steve Martin to me.

He can really play the banjo! And juggle.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

Also Bill Hader, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler. They're still prime.

I'm trying to think of it in terms of overall career and influence. Tina Fey might make that list.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

He's also a big art nerd, a few years ago he gave a talk at an Institute around where I live and people got mad because he didn't like, recite every line from The Jerk or whatever

I saw him during a tour of a studio in LA in like 1979. Just walking down the hallway. He held my baby sister. He had gray hair.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

That's my logic as well. Bull Heder is funny as hell and Barry was a good show but Eddie had three straight films open at #1 before he turned 30.

Murray's been consistently headlining films from the 70's on, and over the last few years I assume he gets paid nicely for the smaller roles and cameos.

He was never the mega star Murphy was during his run, but he hit pretty big stardom from the Ghostbusters - Groundhog Day window or so.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

Eddie was supposed to be in Ghostbusters but turned it down to do Beverly Hills Cop

In the Murray role I assume?

Beverly Hills Cop was great. That was Murphy going to the next level.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

Nah, Winston.

And Beverly Hills Cop was originally written for Stallone and was a much more straight forward cop action movie. However, Stallone added so much to the script that the budget went way out of control so he bailed and made Cobra instead. Once Eddie came onboard, they added all the humor into the script.

edit: Good lord, Cobra made $160 million, how was there no sequel

Cobra was awesome and I too was waiting for the sequel that never came. Smelled like a franchise.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

sure okay posted:

Modern SNL thread: Lets talk exclusively about ancient SNL

lol no one watches that poo poo!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

covidstomper58 posted:

Don't get me started about Dan Akroyd and John Belushi. I mean I'll watch Continental Divide if it's on but I'll criticize it for the mass media implications it presents. Thankfully this hasn't come up in a while.

1941/Neighbors double bill

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The King Tut song: You have to remember, it was 1977 or whatever. TV was a vast wasteland of whitebread lameness. Heck, TV went off the air - there was no TV after like 1AM, it just turned to static after some patriotic song! It was different time, a less funny time. And so, this white dude with gray hair singing about King Tut (The mummy and associated items from King Tut's tomb was big news around then too, hence the topical satire) had America rolling. It was making fun of something in the news, with a historical/cultural edge.

Questions? Comments?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

Anyone who gets a meeting with Lorne has to wait outside his office for like an hour and a half no matter what, because he's a petty shithead

It's funny that at least two parodies of Lorne have made it to film: The much more famous Dr. Evil, and that character from the Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy. I think the KITH character came first.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overall those quotes make him seem like a good, but complicated guy. Probably with rear end in a top hat tendencies.

Anyone who gets that kind of power is inevitably going to be perceived as an rear end in a top hat by some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shyduck posted:

Speaking of books, Jay Mohr's memoir about his 2 years on SNL was an interesting read. A lot of behind the scenes stuff but also he got into the mental health struggles he endured while on the show. For instance, he once had a panic attack during a live recording and literally sprinted out of the building and to his apartment.

Did he talk about how much work is involved in putting a show together? I've always assumed it's a lot of work for all involved, but I don't know.