Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The_Franz posted:

Apparently networks were flooded with calls from church lady types who were incredibly offended by the show, and some network executive in Cleveland found it so unpalatable that he immediately pulled the show and went to the test pattern during the first commercial break. He then proceeded to call networks in timezones further west and persuaded them not to air it either.

It's like the ending of Halloween III Season of the Witch in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
SNL, SCTV, and National Lampoon's will always feel like they've got a strange free-flowing crossover with one another.

I talked about this in another thread, but take the following: Peter Ivers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ivers

Musician, host of new wave/punk scene, roommate of NL creator, close friend of Belushi. After his death, another friend of Ivers (Harold Ramis) ended up doing a TV thing called The Top for a local LA TV station. The description of that is as follows:

quote:

In the immediate aftermath of Iver's killing, Jove was offered help by Ramis, and together with Flattery, created and made "The Top" for KTLA. The show was a mixture of live music, videos and humor. Performers on the series include Cyndi Lauper, who performed "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and "True Colors". The Hollies performed "Stop! In the Name of Love" and The Romantics performed "Talking in Your Sleep" and "What I Like About You". Guest stars included Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. The host was Chevy Chase, who—dressed as a "punk" of the era—got into a physical altercation with an audience member during the opening monologue. He immediately left the taping. The producers then got Andy Kaufman to fill in for Chase and recorded the host segments at a separate, later, session. It was to be the last professional appearance by Andy Kaufman before his death. "The Top" aired on Friday January 27, 1984 at 7–8 pm. It scored a 7.7% rating and a 14% share.

It just feels like this kind of social/professional space was a lot more fluid and active in that time than I noticed or knew.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
SNL had some well-defined competition for the 14-24yo demographic in the 80s/90s. On one of the few nights of the week when kids/teens could hang out or stay up late with some more freedom, you had some option for programming to watch that was 'edgy'.

Music centric metal heads were tuning into Headbangers Ball at the same time on MTV. Fox was doing Mad TV. You had USA UP All Night for campy movies with comedy hosts. The weirdos were watching whatever late-night PBS, TNT, or TBS had to offer as counter programming.

Does any channel have anything in that window, anymore? I vaguely remember Fox trying to do the ADHD line-up on Saturdays around the SNL timeslot as their Adult Swim thing. Is Adult Swim's Saturday Anime schedule (?) still a big thing when it's airing live?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
You know a better weekly show for guest celebrities to show up and have a chance to play against type?

Law and Order.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

haljordan posted:

He's also a big art nerd, a few years ago he gave a talk at an Institute around where I live and people got mad because he didn't like, recite every line from The Jerk or whatever

When someone mentioned this to him, he reportedly went, "Well, EXCUUUUUUUSE MEEEE!"