Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Once we unlock a decent heavy machine gun (I haven't got quite that far in the game myself), let's do the classic AC build: midweight biped, machinegun and blade, cluster missiles on one shoulder and grenade cannon on the other. For old times's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

I've always thought of the classic build as having an energy weapon instead of a machine gun, for the cost savings.

Sure, that doesn't apply in this one, but old time's sake, you know?
Specifically I'm talking about this fellow - I think the closest we can get is a mashup of MELANDER and MELANDER-C3 parts with the SHADE EYE head, carrying a 6-pack of missiles, EARSHOT shoulder grenade launcher, laserblade, and the CHANG-CHEN machinegun - unless there's something I haven't unlocked yet that's closer to the good old MG/AR-1000, I have no idea of work-life balance and am myself still pissing around in the ice field in plain NG.

[edit]If I can suggest a second build, take any combo of heavy-ish frame parts that you like, boosters optimised for kicking as much as you can, two gatling guns like we saw in the trailer and on the shoulders, a couple of the second biggest machine guns we can field, probably the CHANG-CHEN again.
Modus operandi is to stick to your target like glue, holding down both fire buttons and kicking whenever you need to reload, save ammo, or whenever you feel like it.
AC name: BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 3, 2023

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Please consider also for an arena fight: fast & agile frame, krsv and whatever missile that has a large AoE, ECM jammers, and pulse shield expansion. Frame has to be painted light grey with one red arm.
Yo, Buddy. You still alive?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AC name: LOADER 3.11 FOR WORKGROUPS

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Alula boosters, because gotta go fast.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Fists only?? Surely fists, kick and pile driver would be more fun, and those unlock pretty soon.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

But enemies in pve tend to react extremely quickly to your shots, so it's a pain in the rear end to land a hit. But when you do, the plasma gun hits like a truck.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How about for a near-melee build: coquillet and haldeman on the the right arm and shoulder, blade of your choosing and ashmead on the left arm and shoulder, and some legs that are really good for kicking?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 10, 2023

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Actually, all this got me thinking about an actual build. Parts should be available soon...

THE BUS
I can't remember what unlocks when, but if one of the below isn't available then substitutions suggested below. The idea is to pelt things with missiles while closing in, let loose with the guns, run the target over when possible and when you get a stagger, smash them with the piledriver. Beep beep, get out of the bus lane, nothing stands in the way of public transport.
Colour scheme is lots of yellow, some black, a light coating of brown rust on the body and heaps of brown rust on the weapons. Bright red lights.

Possible swaps if stuff above doesn't all unlock at a suitable time:
Zimmerman for haldeman
JVLN alpha for another bazooka
10-pack missiles for anything, really
Generator and FCS per your own preference

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I had a hell of a time getting the final "hidden" unlockable from the Swinburne mission, and I have no idea how to pilot a tank effectively, so seeing that build shown off by a competent player would be neat.

If anyone really, really wants to see punching, there's a video of a japanese public pre-release event where they fished some guy out of the audience to try the game, and punching ensued.
Video contains spoilers and shows a thing or two that we won't see until chapter 3, however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxO8uDaHNT8&t=3783s

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Short, controlled bursts is the way to go- unless you're in a boss fight, in which case just hold down the trigger and never let up.
The key to machine guns is really range, though. Somewhere between AC3 and last raven they dramatically reduced the projectile velocity of machine guns so you don't hit poo poo unless you are right up in your target's face, and for the most part that's still true in AC6. Ludlows, fast legs, a blade and unbridled aggression were the key to me beating the next boss we're going to see.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Good job, Crow, get some rest.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

For the next gooncensus, I want whatever boosters we've unlocked that give us the best assault boost thrust. Because we should be doing more assault boosting. especially because we should be able to unlock the boost kick right about now, right?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I get the feeling that Rubicon is fairly far away from the busiest areas of inhabited space, so the corps can probably get away with a bunch of stuff and push around the local sherriffs. I'd expect there's a bunch of corruption and looking the other way, and if anyone calls for backup it's probably going to be a while (both in terms of distance and organisational red tape) before it could arrive.
The planet's basically a backwater forming mining town that used to be full of riches, but is now ruined after everything burned down and the few impoverished survivors are getting bullied by the corps who are out prospecting for any residual pockets of resources that might have survived. I'm only partway through the game, but wouldn't be surprised if there's a seven samurai/magnificant seven-style mission somewhere in the game where you get hired to protect a RLF outpost against a corp enforcer squad.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I know we are a little way off, but speaking of what's coming in terms of the PCA, can I pretty please request some fancy editing when they arrive in the "steal the survey data" involving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1nrFkLgsE

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

also requesting that you deal the finishing blow to the battleship by kicking it in the bridge, just to show that such a thing is extremely possible

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

Gotta use the Bu/TT

I want some butt blade action.

Also I don't think Ziya is dead, she didn't do a death scream or have her comms stop mid sentence, she finished all of her words after her machine was down.

I won't get a chance to watch the video for a few days so spoilers ahead in case it's not yet unlocked: I'd like to request the laserblade on the back shoulder to supplement the pulse blade requested earlier.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, it's nice to see someone deal with the BAWS arsenal mission in a more sensible way than I did when I played, which was to deal with all the aboveground enemies pretty well, then completely panic in the last setpiece. All strategy was thrown to the wind and I just unloaded like a madman into the melee dude's shield to bruteforce him down, while managing to dodge just enough of the sniper fire to survive by the skin of my teeth.
We need to do a double handgun build at some stage, they are a hell of a lot of fun :blastu:

[edit]
Next time we do a mission for the redguns, please colour all our handheld ranged weapons red.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 11, 2023

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do with the two blades. I accidentally took this combo into one of the grid 86 missions and it was amazingly fun right up until i hit smart cleaner :gonk:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BOOST KICK

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Boost Kick and Weapon Bay are already unlocked.

Well, that's what i get for posting before finishing the video. Carry on then.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Honestly, the next patch should be nothing but better, more visceral kick animations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

HereticMIND posted:

Still waiting for that ADA certified build.

We'll get the parts for it in a few missions' time, so I'm still going to spoiler-tag the below in case you care about that sort of thing.
Here's my take on it:

Check that boost speed: we don't need no goddamn legs to go fast. Stick to your target like glue, never relent: pincer them between a hail of laser fire from one side, pursuit missiles from the other and a rain of verticals from above. Your choice of core expansion to suit your own tastes.
Those laser handguns are just so drat good - I try to experiment with different styles of weapon, but when I need something dead right now I always find myself coming back to some variation on the laser gunslinger. :blastu:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I went in with twin Ludlow SMGs, pulse blade and vertical missiles on a mostly-nachtreiher frame. The fight was pretty awesome and tense, albeit post-patch. I didn't use verticality enough and got nailed by the flamethrower combo on my first try, but finished the bastard off with a boost kick no less on my second attempt.
I never found either of the logs despite searching in the water heaps - guess I'll have to go back and get them...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh drat it, yeah, I failed to think about colouring because i got too invested in the gunslinger aspect and themed the paint job more around that. Please adjust as required.

Difficulty wise AC6 is considerably easier than the souls games I've played, and I'd also argue easier than most of the older AC games as well, especially with the checkpoint system being incredibly forgiving. If you want to make it harder, don't use checkpoint reassembly (or don't use checkpoints at all), go for s-ranks, but it's not mandatory.

The interesting balance they've struck with this game is that like early-game souls enemies, all the basic enemies in this game go down in a few shots max and you can sweep through and annihilate them, if you get careless they still do enough damage to mess you up.

I only know post-patch balteus but it feels like a fair enough fight. The boss of the first mission is worse, i think, simply because you're limited to squishy old Loader 4, attacking a flying enemy with a melee weapon is not the most intuitive course of action, and it's pre-tutorial. It was still fun, though, but i also have Stockholm syndrome and didn't really mind last raven's difficulty all that much.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm not sure about actively trying to come up with terrible builds, i think it's just pure chaos of people picking individual bits of gear with basically no group coordination. The ones I've put forward, at any rate, aren't thought through very much beyond what i think might be fun to see in the hands of a skilled player we just need the wrecker parts from grid 086 to build THE BUS now, right?

But yeah, trying half the stuff that we've seen here in, say, last raven would have made the game look like some kind of kaizo romhack. AC6 is probably the most newbie-accessible game From have made since metal wolf.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

There are some pretty gnarly melee weapons that we have yet to unlock. I was going to suggest a brawler build with a laserblade, ashmead, kikaku, and maybe a shotgun and songbirds because I'm not a complete monster- but perhaps we should hold off on this gimmick until we have basho, spring chicken, a laser slicer and maybe double trouble
poo poo, choosing between melee weapons is going to be hard.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Songbirds. Let's go.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've never used the napalm launcher (I'm suspicious since the napalm guns in previous ACs are... not good) but given the mission I think you're on I can see the difficulty of dealing with the build.
I also hosed up my build and accidentally went in with one handgun, one songbirds and two blades on a nachreiher core. No problem with invincible rummy, but the cleaner really hosed me up given that I'd loaded up with two melee weapons with a low-defence frame. Or do you think I could have done it on that setup?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

If Crow gets banned and brought back another 4 times, does that mean he gets to use back cannon weapons without having to kneel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Also everyone go give Natural 20's AC6 LP some love. Him and Yorkshire Tea will probably finish their run of the game before me and CJakes do :v:

Life is conspiring to prevent me from playing the game any faster than all of you are - I'm trying to avoid getting too far ahead of where i am ( just blew up the ice worm)