Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Really tired of this 'Its going to end civilization'.

No. Its not. Its not AI. This is not something that'll ever be capable of being self-ware. It doesn't even understand what it tells users. At best it will cause major damage because some executive or government moron will take it at its word.

AI as it exists is nothing more than a buzzword and marketing hype. Calling it an LLM or even a Chat Bot is more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Good then get rid of now before they get better.

But there's money to be made and venture capitalists to fleece!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Eyes Have It posted:

I wish people felt that strongly about taking action to limit environmental damage or far right violent wackjobs intent on spreading their poison.

This. AI is sooooo dangerous but actual work on curbing greenhouse emissions? That sounds like work.

10th hottest summer in a row you say? Unusual you say? Maybe ChatGPT can solve this one, too!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

You don't salute the drunk E-3. Officers don't throw hands.

Well, you don't salute enlisted geese anyways. That's obviously the Wing's Command Chief Master Sergeant. He's furious cause he saw hands in pockets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can geese NJP people?

Obviously.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

You read too much stuff like that you're gonna bum yourself out in short order

Sherman burning us out from beyond the grave!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Of course he can only hire lawyers who are truthers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"We're gonna need your resume before you visit the prostitute"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
There's a couple replica Me-262s running around out there

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah wrong Messerschmitt. Me-262 was a turbojet, no T-stoff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Has Eric Adams lost the mandate of heaven?

He's caught America's Mayor disease.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Make sure to leave out Rip Its and Liqueur for Veteran Santa when he comes down the chimney
Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow vets, hug your DD-214 tight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

I went to go see some poor jrotc kids freezing their rear end off in their uniforms in mid-40 degree rain marching down the street, while I was warm and dry under an awning. Happy veterans day indeed

Did that Friday at my kids school, holy crap they can't march to save their lives

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

If they could march they’d be in the band

Touche.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Blackhawks can’t let the Ospreys be the only airframe getting fed.

Like spores, Helicopters have to regularly seek blood sacrifices to spread their seed and create new helicopter offspring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

unfortunately for better or worse spacex is on the hook for America's manned space program for their return to the moon. NASA needs something that can lift a lot of cargo to the Moon and is reusable, and Starship's in-flight refuelling capability will allow them to do that. SLS can get people to the moon but it doesn't carry any sort of landing capabilities onboard, and a LM style thing that is towed out to the moon by the SLS isn't really capable for building any sort of permanent moon base.

Their refueling capability is yet to be proven, so I'm not counting chickens before they hatch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

That's basically everything about our current moon program except the rocket that's expected to launch like once a year. (Though admittedly it is the one novel thing. )

Yes, but SLS has proven it works. Including the Command Module and all the main systems.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

he was the best thing in the entire show.

Seriously, nobody could outact that guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Spirit Otter posted:

yea, the slave ship speech wouldve had the slavers on the upper deck wanting to kill slavers

Not to mention is speech in the funeral parlor. Dude could act and they did him raw by tossing him off the show.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheWeedNumber posted:

Holy poo poo

Taking bets its due to a recent diagnosis....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1726354676189147489?t=qeNodErnS7O_YZZ40_Dxag&s=19

RIP to a real one. I had no idea he was still alive. I know Richard Jordan passed decades ago.

"Andrei, you've lost ANOTHER actor?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah was bummed when he retired but in retrospect gotta respect him for going out on top rather than accepting inferior output, amazing respect for his audience. Also glad he quietly lives his life popping up here and there but feels no need to embarrass himself by getting addicted to social media & trying to have hot takes on everything like Stephen King.

Don't blasphemy Stephen King like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That guys not gonna last.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Its bad to conflate Block Chains (100% useless garbage) and Cypto (Entirely a scam) with cryptographic signatures. One is a real, well developed, and useful technology, that has minimal impact on computing speed and cost, and the other is entirely a scam.

Meh, yes, however Blockchain is also largely not nearly as valuable as was promised, since its really just an append only database - we've had that forever. Blockchain and Crypto largely are tied at the hip for being useless marketing buzzwords.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hypnophant posted:

so no need for a blockchain then

e: blockchain doesn't solve any of the actual issues with supply chains/medical data/logistics etc, which are invariably problems arising because of data entry (or fraud at the point of data entry). blockchain does make data entry problems highly resistant to ever being corrected, though

Basically yes. In fact Blockchain is an absolute pain because it largely returns to being a single point of failure rather than truly distributed, and if anything wrong gets put in, it cannot be undone without forking the chain.

Blockchain is kinda dumb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Vic mignogna (voice actor most known for his lead role in Fullmetal Alchemist) just lost a really bad anti-slapp case in Texas filed by similar yahoos.

Feels like a dry run if I let my conspiracy brain go wild.

Yeah I don't think it'll be the same case.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1726989224073896365

Just the biggest fuckin' punchable nerd to ever have nerded.

He really, really, really wants to be John McAfee

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump just burped out his "health report" on that other social media channel. He still has the best brains, better than most with tears in their eyes, has excellent health and will be bigly stamina-full for a very longer time, plus he even managed to lose weight from his previous 215 pounds. Not linking to anything because gently caress him and everything he touches.

Worth reminder that doctor that made that report is super bad at diagnosing those things. He's a fixer doctor - he writes what he's told and pockets a fee.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Isn't Binance the last leg holding up *super-scarequotes* "legitimate" crypto?

Its one of them yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ah yes, lets replace the corrupt guy with the sexpest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is the CEO all these other CEOs want to emulate. Genius/s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

k now this poo poo really is over, the punt has been called

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1730283332091424895?t=Iv_4pN3l39npFF6wcLuTGQ&s=19

he probably still holds a few four-stars or some weak bullshit that can get quick votes, but writing was on the wall that Republicans would've joined democrats to end the hold rule

He likely hoping the rule change won't happen based on this, and he can immediately go back to doing stupid blockading again after it fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1730259739869581639

Gee, I wonder if he might have something he wants to hide from the FTC.

....yeah I cannot imagine the courts will even remotely consider this.