Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Oh my Giddy Aunt, am I actually excited about Doctor Who again?! I fell off after I saw the writing on the wall about Chibnall's run being Not Good™ (which was after I had fallen off because of Moffat, so same as it ever was, I suppose)

I'm excited to have RTD back, excited to see the Doctor and Donna together again, and very excited for Ncuti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

10: I'm 903-years-old!

Man, kinda crazy to think back to when he was that young.

Just a drip in the pond compared to, I dunno 4 billion years in a confession dial.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

No no, he went and picked up Rory to avoid that.

I knew someone was going to make a Rory joke.

Tornhelm posted:

RTD is gonna RTD, and apparently Disney Plus has some sort of creative input into the shows, so if you go in expecting stuff to be like 1 level above all the other trash Disney Plus shows like She Hulk & Secret Invasion you might enjoy yourself.

I like most Disney+ shows (Secret Invastion was a rare occasion where I didn't watch past episode one though) so I think I'll be fine.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Should’ve used the wax Tom.

I remember CRACKING up that they used Wax Tom as the figure for the last shot of the 50th with all the doctors lined up.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Love that the console room is well lit again, and love the size and verticality. But also it reminds me how much I miss Capaldi's console room with the book cases, it felt like a very lived in/used space.

I loved the wood panel console that 4 used in his later years. Felt very much like a place I'd like to sit and drink some tea and catch up with a very old time lord in a funny scarf.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

That was loving DELIGHTFUL. Just good old fashioned fun Doctor Who.

I cackled when The Doctor asked the Meep about pronouns and when told that they always "The Meep" and he response "Oh I do that.":

Tennant and Tate back together is just wonderful, and I am sad probably won't get a tone of time with Rose but I adore her.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dabir posted:

Wasn't quite spinning, more sort of just hovering alongside the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg92hfbjyyA

While I don't much care for any of the Chibnall run (which considering I disliked almost every episode he wrote before he was showrunner, kinda saw it coming) but goddamn, Dhawan NAILED it. I also love that they just used a little plastic figure for the people he shrinks with the tissue compressor rather than any extravagant effect lmao

I do hope he comes back, so we can have a modern Master who menaces more than just one specific Doctor (excluding Simms coming back for the last Capaldi episode I suppose)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

rewatching and I think my favorite line has gotta be Donna calling The Meep "Mad Paddington"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the people mentioned in that huge wall of spoiler text has said they have zero interest in ever revisiting their particular role, and from what I've read I don't get the impression that the words "unless I get the right script/amount of money" were lurking around unsaid.

The other person mentioned is likely tied up due to being cast in a big production on a major streaming service, so I'm guessing their ability to pop up in an episode of DW is very limited, to say the least.

Some people are hoping that Capaldi is lying, but I don't get the impression that he is. He did his time on the show and he's happy with it and doesn't want to do any more and that's perfectly fair. I would have loved to see his Doctor one more time but I don't think it's in the cards.

Smith could go either way.

Really I think that rumor doesn't hold much weight, but I am very curious as to why they are keeping aspects of this story so secret when it seems like the big thrils are The Giggle

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Barrowman always gave me weird vibes as it was. The only time I've truly enjoyed an episode with him in it was Empty Child/Doctor Dances.

and with the exception of Children of Earth, I don't like ANY of Torchwood.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I HATED Clara when she was with Matt Smith and was deeply unenthusastic about her sticking around with Peter's run, but goddamn the two of them had great partnership chemistry and they found a good arc for her character.

I do think a lot of my hatred in that first half series was because Amy and Rory were my first companions, so them leaving was a big slot to fill. Certainly not Jenna Coleman's fault though. Just Moffat not understanding her until she was with a different Doctor.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Clouseau posted:

Yeah that kicked rear end, a lot of kids are going to have hosed up dreams for a bit.

Truly bizarre to watch this show with an actual budget, especially since I've been rewatching the first season(2005).

I watched a clip from End of the World today and was like "Good lord, look how far we've come"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hefty Leftist posted:

i stopped watching doctor who right when Capaldi took over because i got tired of Moffat's writing - starting watching again when I heard RTD was back and i've loved it so far. i thought the first episode was just okay because i never really liked the Big Dumb Emotional End of the World thing from RTD but this one was much more my thing. they've got me back on board for Ncuti

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i've only seen criticisms that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!"

Moffat's run with Capaldi is super hit or miss, but Capaldi is able to outshine most of the problems with the writing. Chibnall was just so bad at it that Jodie never got the chance to shine as brightly as Capaldi (although I love her a bunch despite how bad her scripts often were)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Oh wow that was just a good old fashioned run around some corridors episode of Who. Classic stuff done very well, with some nightmarish body horror...for the kids.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Love that my YouTube algorithm is bringing up the right-leaning clickbaiter videos about how Doctor Who is dead when this episode happened and shows that it is just as Doctor Who as loving ever.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really hope we get some solid "life isn't ruined by the doctor" happy endings for the companions going forward because most of the Modern ones tend to have awful poo poo happen to them at the end. Martha escaped mostly unscathed (Well she got stuck with Mickey, so maybe not) and they've fixed Donna's ending, but the first RTD and Moffat eras was just MEAN to companions whenever possible. I am not as familiar with the 13 era, and it seems like they all ended up mostly okay.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I liked both, but vastly improved the latter. He *really* came into his own in his second season. Riding a tank into an axe fight playing a bitchin' solo. Aging rock star fit twelve so well it's hard to imagine why they even tried anything else.

"Anyone for Dodgems?" is one of the greatest Doctor entrances ever put to screen.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

"Of course the real question is: Where did he get the cup of tea?"

"Conclusion: "I'm definitely having his chair!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am rewatching bits and bobs from NuWho now that I am back on the bullshit, and I forgot just how unforgivably horny Amy was for the Doctor for most of Series 5.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rewatch note: Man, Moffat really was into having 11 show up, give a big braggadocious speech about how he's the best and they should all run away only for it to immediately bite him on the rear end. Both Pandorica Opens and A Good Man Go To War play out almost exactly the same. A Good Man Goes to War has a slightly more upbeat ending with it's big reveal, but still.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Also lets not gloss over probably the single worst costume design of the series - Hyph3n

Make up and costume departments apparently both on loving strike. "Yeah nah, we don't have face prosthetics. A bit of grey lipstick'll do the job! Quick someone kill an Ewok and shove it on her head!"

Very obvious tail-attached-to belt. Tail looks like it comes out of the middle of her back :lol:

100% get Doctor Who is usually on a shoe-string budget, but :laffo: that's just straight up someone's budget fursona costume.

Is...Is this from a 13 episode? Because if you told me this was like a Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy episode I'd believe you. L M A O.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Creature posted:

That was a real ‘can you believe this poo poo??’ moment. 😄

Check that first shot of the Doctor in the Christmas trailer. Spinning around in a club wearing a floaty skirt. :2monocle:

While Ncuti would have zero issue rocking a skirt, I am fairly certain that's a good ol' Scottish kilt.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Donna negotiating salary and benefits with Kate the moment she was offered a job opportunity ruled too.

Donna finally gets a solid job with good pay (and doesn't have to give away the money this time)

Also I knew the spoiler about the end and yet, I was still surprised and touched by the scene with Donna's family at the end. Lovely way to wrap that up.

Onward to Ncuti who looks to be a wonderful Doctor already.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

We're definitely in a universe now where myth and superstition are real. Why else would UNIT place the Toy maker's box in the deepest vault in SALT

I am kind of surprised they didn't show 14 hear and react to that, because I was like "WAIT A SECOND"

and if they have Ncuti going up against myths and legends due to it, I am gonna love this series (but please put in some funky old Who monsters too for fun RTD)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Creature posted:

Especially the introduction of that weird robot guy. It felt very ‘here’s the gang!' to me.

The robot dude felt SO Sarah Jane Adventures to me that I immediately went "Hmmm, spinoff"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So I first watched it on my TV which has less than desirable sound, but rewatching the Spice Girls dance scene, I just notice they threw in a goddamn clown horn when Toymaker exits at the end and it's so loving funny

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Kind of shocked that since this story deals with the first televised video, they had the restraint not to show some monitor or screen somewhere with the Magpie logo

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I got some "Doctor Who is dead, it's over" videos recommended after Wild Blue Yonder, which I felt was quintessentially Doctor Who and what the show is all about but because the Doctor maybe likes fellas now, it's all over.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I think he was about 70% of Hot Fuzz level of camp. Like he was clearly directed to play it big as Rassilon but he didn't have the same sort of malicious glee that characterised Simon Skinner.

I don't think anything can top Simon Skinner though. "I'm a SLASHER...of PRICES!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Updog Scully posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxH2xTBV43s

Gatwa casually vaulting over chimneys while delivering quips. Already top tier.

Also google Doctor Who for a fun surprise

I know he gets several outfits from the photos they've released, but lordy, I really like his jacket a lot as a signature Doctor look.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

What's really gonna be tough is getting the Christmas episode, then having to wait until April for more.

RTD is a master of torture. A concentrated dose of weekly Who before a short break then a long break? Truly an evil mastermind up there with The Master and Davros.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

watching a bunch of the 10 era and I had a thought: What are some NuWho villains you'd like to see RTD bring back? I know they are probably gonna cool it on the Daleks and Cybermen for a bit, but I was thinking it'd be cool to see some of the monsters from RTD's first run that maybe got one go around to come back. Personally, I'd love to see the Racnoss come back. Just loving scary big rear end spider people. (maybe a little less screaming than the queen was doing)

I know Chibnall used them but the Judoon coming back would be cool too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm of two minds about The Boneless, I thought they were fantastically creepy villains but I also absolutely adore the Doctor "banishing" them and would be more than happy with that sticking.

The Racnoss is a cool concept that I don't think the show was really in a place to execute well: the Racnoss Queen, perhaps as a result of the limitations of her make-up and how they could shoot her, wildly overacts in a way that I found annoying, with the multiple camera cuts and her wrenching her head to the side constantly and falling back on hissing with her teeth clenched just felt cheap and campy in a not very fun way.

The Scorpion Lady from Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror had a similar issue which is why I think it was a make-up/shooting issue, unless the actor was trying to emulate the Racnoss for some reason.

I wouldn't mind seeing The Wire again, if only because I remember RTD once being asked about Big Finish and suddenly getting hyper as he talked about how they could do a story about The Wire: "Who is The Wire? Where is The Wire from? What is The Wire doing now? Tell me more about The Wire!" :allears:

The Stooky Bill stuff in The Giggle felt very Wire-esq and I agree, would love to see that kind of a thing again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I remember being mildly disappointed that he turned out to be space pollen giving them really bad dreams, but goddamn Toby just kills it.

"Now there's a delusion I'm not responsible for."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Whybird posted:

I want to see that dude with the forehead hatch from Dalek come back as an antagonist. "Human who knows about the existence of time travel and wants to use that information to advance humanity (but will create a nightmare technodystopia future in the process)" is a cool as hell idea.

and considering how unceremoniously the Doctor kicked his rear end out of the TARDIS, he could certainly be holding a grudge

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I always found Amy saying "you definitely may kiss the bride" to the Doctor at her wedding TO RORY was the weirdest goddamn thing. At the time of originally watching it, I chuckled about it because I like how the Doctor responds to that, but the actual act of it is mega hosed up.

I liked Amy and Rory a lot, but that first season was a touch rough when it came to their character development.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I adore that he has his old Doctor hairstyle back. Having the short curly look he sported in Day of the Doctor always felt kind of weird. Give me a mess of wild hair for the wild alien man who likes jelly babies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m on Runaway Bride. A couple thoughts:

1. They mentioned Narys in The Star Beast. I thought they were going for a Maris-style joke like in Frasier, but I forgot she was actually in The Runaway Bride.

2. Who schedules their wedding on Christmas? Is this a British thing?

I let out a hearty guffaw at the continuation of the Narys hate from Runaway Bride in Star Beast.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Tangential, but this conversation reminded me of Missy's,"Oh.... how did SHE get in there!?!" reaction to Clara being inside the Dalek shell :lol:

Missy in that episode is probably my favorite Michelle Gomez performance. Her dancing to the Daleks shouting exterminate? Chefs kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Well it just wouldn't be Christmas without ol' Rusty's Doctor Who special!

This'll be my first time watching a Rusty Christmas Special as it airs (I came into the show with Eleventh Hour, so I had to go back and retroactively watch them) and I am kind of excited. Hoping for more Runaway Bride than Voyage of the Damned tho.