Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I asked a friend...

Drop in quality - Twice Upon A Time to The Woman Who Fell to Earth. Nothing against Jodie, everything against Chibnall.

Rise in quality - Inferno to Terror of the Autons. Inferno could have been told in half the time and the monster was weak.

Inferno does run long, but it's still a strong story despite it's length. It's not like The War Games where you could chop half the episodes out and have an amazing story instead of just a good one that ends perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Apparently two more lost episodes have been confirmed! Except they're in the hands of a private collector who refuses to let anyone see them.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/11/lost-doctor-who-episodes-found-owner-reluctant-to-hand-them-to-bbc

Sounds like one of the episodes is part of The Dalek's Master Plan, too...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

It just seems so incredibly strange that they are keeping them hidden and I don't understand why.

There's certain collectors of media who prefer a dragon's hoard rather than preservation. They like that they have something precious that no one else is can see. It's fucky lovely both on a personal level and in terms of preventing things from being lost.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

A Good Man Goes to War: Amy asks the Doctor if he has any kids or had any kids and he says no. But the last time I saw him have a kid, he said he had had kids before!

He disowned them between The Doctor's Daughter and then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Gosh, by the end Moffat really didn't know what he was doing, did he?

"Clara is trying to be the Doctor and it kills her," was a strong story that led to some great moments and then ended on a complete shart. I think the tragic companion fate worked better with Bill, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I always find this kind of thing fascinating. Every now and then a modern movie or show will do a black & white cut/conversion for a special edition or release and it rarely ever works. Presumably because it’s missing this kind of intentional garishness just to get every shade of color to look “right” in grayscale.

Proper black and white photography is a lot more complicated than taking your digital footage and cranking down the saturation. But a lot of modern "black and white" films are just that and it looks awful. If you want to see it done right, look at The Lighthouse which put in the hard work of doing it right and it looks amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

Already seen at least one person mortally offended by it. "Vandalizing Genesis of the Daleks".

Get the gently caress out of here. I particularly liked when the Doctor even says this is messing up the timelines and canon, showing RTD knew exactly who this would upset.

Davros building a Dalek before surviving the bombing throws a lot of really good material off. But it was fun so who cares.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised I've not seen more discussion of this but RTD has said that this is Davros going forward now as a permanent change. They wanted to get away from portraying someone disabled/scarred as evil.

Personally if this was a show aimed at adults I'd feel that was a little silly but seeing as it's a kids show, and that the change happened in a Children in Need special, I think it's great. Wibbly, wobbly.

Hm. On the one hand, I like the thematic and visual connection between creator and creation. But the depiction of disability as a sign of villainy has been a concern about Davros for a while. Right now I think I like the old design better, but I'm not going to get upset about it, especially if RTD is trying to wipe things a bit clean for a more accessible show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

It's not just Davros, either. The number of disfigured and disabled villains in the series is pretty high. Sharaz Jek, Magnus Creel, the Master, hell even Morbius. And it's almost always their disfigurement is a result of their own hubris, or it's what made them evil to start with.

Probably no more so than any other media that's been going this long - it's rife in things like 2000ad too - but it still rears its head in the new series now and then. I think it's a positive change the way RTD is talking about it, and there's nothing to stop them bringing back post-accident Davros any time they feel like it.

Oh absolutely, it's an old trope that gets dragged out a lot and it shouldn't be used like it has been. With Davros, though, it provides a visual design tie with the Daleks that I think is significant and just because the use of something as a common trope is harmful doesn't mean that all instances of it must be scrubbed.

But it's not a big deal and if RTD wants to do a soft reboot of some of the rougher Doctor Who elements and just roll with a new version of the show, cool. Long running franchises often benefit from that kind of shake up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

Is the davros series that big finish did a while ago worth checking out? I think it takes place before he become the davros in genesis.

Absolutely. I, Davros is fantastic.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's very good, though you probably want to check out Davros (the play) as well since there's a lot of interconnectivity.

And that's also an amazing one. I think if you heard one of them without the other you wouldn't be lost, but they play off each other well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Shaban has mentioned in interviews that his agent originally rejected the role for him, feeling that it was just "a monster" part, but when Shaban read the script himself, he saw the richness of the character and told his agent to get him that part, since he wouldn't ever be offered to play a character like that.

Sil was a legit great villain and it's a shame they haven't brought him back in some form with the new series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Skaro is Earth’s second moon that has always been there.

Skaro being a dragon's egg is a step too far.

Davros1 posted:

There's a Time War boxset that does this, I think

Yes, the first 8 Time War box set, and it's great. When things started getting scrambled I was going, "Wait, wasn't it something different?" It worked really well.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 19, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Or maybe, you know, it's a hell of a lot easier on the actor and more feasible as the stage crew to have Davros walking around instead looking menacing instead of in the travelling machine with hours and hours of makeup, especially in HD?

Considering it's Doctor Who, I think there's going to be plenty of actors who have to deal with extensive make up along with machines with bumpy nodules on them rolling around the sets.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Here's a handy tip that has served me well. If somebody says,"<x> has become too "woke"" then you can safely never listen, acknowledge or care about anything they ever say ever again for the rest of eternity.

Insomniacs have become too woke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For the sixtieth anniversary, I give you the two more horrifying words possible: "Extended Version".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgDsJTemvk8

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That sure was a Russell T. Davies episode of Doctor Who and I am here for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Honestly, I thought it was a decent but not great episode (however, all hail the Meep!). It's a bit sloppy, a bit too pat in the resolution, and gets kind of clunky. It's the kind of thing that characterized a lot of the Russell T. Davies era. It wasn't a brilliant episode, but it had several great moments that helped carry it. The episode's biggest strength is that after Chibnall and even most of Moffat, this is such an enormous step up.

I think when it was announced that Davies was coming back I said something like, "His highs were rarely as high as the show could be, but his lows were never that low." And that's where this fell for me: good Doctor Who but not an all-time classic.

Genuinely love the Meep, though. Fantastic design in both forms.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I hope we get more of badass unit science lady and her rocket launcher inspector gadget wheelchair. She owned.

My impression is that she's going to be the face of UNIT when RTD needs it and I'm good with that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

That's my favourite too. Hoping Ncuti's doctor goes for something classy like that

I am positive they're not building that monster standing set and using it for three episodes. Ncuti will use the new Tardis interior for at least one season.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I really liked the new intro and outro lol. Was wondering what the almost percussive vocal element added was, I dig it.

I guess someone had to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Saw a couple people in a Discord I’m in who watched that episode and didn’t realize Rose was trans. It’s baffling.

I didn't realize it until the end. It's just not brought up in the show until that point which is good for representation but not so good for theming.

Edit: Okay, I couldn't hear what the bullies said so I just filled in generic bullying and moved on and the misgendering was such a tiny slip that it passed right by.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 26, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clouseau posted:

"President-Elect" Obama, as if that is a specific office.

But he was going to announce how to fix the global economy!

Honestly, the Master turning everyone on earth into copies of himself probably solely in order to make a terrible pun was a fun, totally absurd concept and I was fine with that as a level of Doctor Who crazy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phy posted:

Also would like to see more of the polite nonlethal space lobsters

They're very rubber monster but in a way that works on the show.

Warthur posted:

Yes, two more then Gatwa time. Unless more shenanigans happen...

I'm kind of hoping we get a multi-Doc episode with the two of them since they are both cast, but it would be unfair to Gatwa to have to share the spotlight on his first episode...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Astroman posted:

--"the boss" has 2 hearts

The boss doesn't have two hearts, they're interested in someone who has two hearts. And since the villain of part three has been very prominent in the promotional material, I think we can be pretty confident in who they are.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Creature posted:

There's something quite endearing about how seriously they take it.

From an on-set report in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine:

:3:

Okay, that's weird and gently caress watching Chibnall again to confirm it, but given how the show was produced at the time, I could see it. Stories tended to jump right over the Tardis arrival so there weren't a lot of Doctor coming out and poking around bits. Maybe a quick insert of her popping her head out, but they had to quick cut to the action...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

Every season requires a Tardis bottle episode to stretch the budget for more content

Somehow true for the show's entire history back to the sixties.

But, yeah, you don't need to hang around the Tardis. My point was that in the Chibnall era they always seemed to be jumping right into things and skipping the small moments, so she really might have never had a moment on screen where she gets to fiddle with things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Well that's up to the writer.

The budget probably had more to do with it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Really good episode. Thumbs up. The special effects look off, but that kind of body horror twisting is so hard to do even when you have all the money in the world that I think they did a really good job on Doctor Who's budget.

If anything the biggest problem with Wild Blue Yonder is that it's "just" a really good episode of the show and not something extra special for a special event like it was intended to be. But if that's the worst thing about an episode of Doctor Who then it's still in the top 5% of stories.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never bothered to finish Flux, can someone give a quick summary of whatever the newest episode references before I watch it?

A bunch of the universe got messed up by the flux which was an evil timelord thing to gently caress up the universe and then the Doctor stopped it from growing but nothing got undone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chibnall couldn't write a plot to save his life. He couldn't maintain consistent characterization from scene to scene, let alone across the series. His show was basically "big" moments and action scenes with no meaning or weight behind them. As much as we rightfully complained about RTD's tendency to go so absurdly big that the threat lost all meaning, it was often in service to bringing out character moments. Chibnall just kept throwing things around and none of it made sense. Even less so than Doctor Who usually does.

Oh god, I just remembered the guardian angel alien dogs that everyone on earth has that never were around before who just got blown up and no one cares and they didn't really matter.

Clouseau posted:

Speaking for myself I fell off in late Smith and came back for Capaldi and I think it's a very good run of episodes. And his last season has Bill, who is an absolute kick rear end companion.

The last Moffat season was his second best. And when he was on he was really on; Heaven Sent is a good contender for best Who story ever. But there were some rough patches to get there...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaroff posted:

There’s a very very tiny part of me wondering if there’s any truth to these missing episode rumours, and next weeks episode is going to nonchalantly drop in a clip from a missing Toymaker episode.

They found one clip from a missing Toymaker episode, but it's that clip. [monkey's paw curls]

Jerusalem posted:

how passive a character he made the Doctor (that's Doctor 101, they are NOT passive!)

That was one of my legit fears when they cast Jodie Whittaker. Not because I thought the casting was wrong but because I was worried that the writer would be lovely and write a female Doctor as more passive.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

RTD trolling? Sure, but I bet he has specific plans for “The Doctor is from somewhere else”.

The timeless child is who the War Doctor regenerated into.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

RTD posted on his instagram that the final scene was the only scene Bernard Cribbens shot. So he won't be in the final special. :(

He also revealed that when he asked Cribbens to make an appearance, Cribbens' response was "I'm going to need to see the script."

:(

If anyone wants his last full episode performance as Wilf instead of this nice cameo, though, the third Tennant box set that Big Finish released has a story called "No Place" that he's in quite a bit. Also, it's currently discounted because they know how to time these things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Ya that was really good. It felt like an unaired episode or something. It just sounded really familiar and I could picture it and everything.

Since Doctor Who is sixty years old with way too much material, it is something that has been touched on a few times. Not the HADS specifically, but just the Tardis winds up someplace and sits there for a very long time as civilization goes on around it until the Doctor shows up to recover it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Damnit, now I've been spoiled for an upcoming episode! There will be a helipad in one of them!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

Arthur Darvill could have totally sold a mini-Rory rant about how many times he's died or been plastic and maybe next time he finds out Amy is his great-great-grandmother or something and he'd just as soon not take the chance.

It's telling in the Moffat run that he can see the Doctor repeatedly killing himself for over a billion years to save Clara but not the Doctor repeatedly visiting retired companions. "He never did that before" isn't a great excuse on a show like this, that wouldn't still be on the air if it weren't about "the Doctor can do that?!"

"The Doctor visits all his old companions all the time, it's just that swinging by for tea and a pleasant conversation isn't exciting television," is a way better approach.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Is there anything good in the Chibnall era? I think I bowed out after a few episodes because it was really quite... boring.

Village of the Angels does a good job of bringing the Angels back in line with their original, scarier portrayal. Unfortunately it's one of the Flux episodes so it ends with a cliffhanger that doesn't make sense and is just resolved with a "none of that mattered".

Power of the Doctor is an alright story that brings a bunch of people back in nice cameos and has fun with the Master. It's a bit of a mess, but an enjoyable one.

Everything else, skip it. It ranges from "this wasn't thought out very well" (Rosa, It Takes You Away, Demons of the Punjab) to "maybe they should hust cancel the series again for a decade" (Ker-blam, the rest of Flux, The Timeless Child).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Oh and Orphan 55 is maybe the worst episode of the revival show and is probably top five for the show as a whole so that's notable.

It did not feature the Doctor saying that giant, faceless corporations weren't the problem, so it wasn't even the worst of the season.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So much is going on that Barton's humiliation goes unremarked on by anybody. His company is presumably toast following his press conference appearing to be him losing his mind and declaring he was going to wipe out all humanity...

I think Elon Musk did that last week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

Spyfall 1 is where Chibnall lost me, and not for any one good reason. Just the slow buildup of disinterest finally crushing it. I very clearly remember watching the car/motorcycle chase scene and thinking "this looks great.... and I don't care"

I remember having almost the same reaction to the chase scene. I was trying to give the show a chance since some people said they liked Spyfall and I'm watching that scene going, "This looks like it was very tricky and expensive to film and it's utterly meaningless." It's a perfect example of my thesis that Chibnall had big moments but couldn't string them together into a good story because he didn't care about the bits that linked them together.