Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You know, while I'm not sure that episode was exceptionally good, but I do feel like it was exactly the episode I needed to see.

I was thinking recently that I might have moved on from Doctor Who. That I was finding a lot of the things I liked Doctor Who for doing from other things, that were doing it more deliberately or with more focus, and usually doing it at least a bit better. Actually approaching Star Trek in a way that didn't repel me from it (if you're a 'start from episode 1' person like me you start with Deep Space Nine, not TNG) is giving me a good dose of episodic sci-fi, if I want weirdly convoluted action and problem-solving anime's got me covered, and it turns out the kind of horror I like seeing from Doctor Who exists more in literature than it does in more visual media. (I've even started writing some myself!) Maybe, quality of the Chibnall seasons aside, I'm less interested in Doctor Who because it's sort of served its purpose for me, and I can move on. I can just embrace Doctor Who as a thing with different eras that mean different things to me and I can take or leave any particular part of it, like I do with Final Fantasy or Gundam.

And maybe that's true. But this episode's reminded me of the one thing Doctor Who does do better than all those other things I've found in the meantime: to go big and dumb, in the most enthusiastic way possible. Yeah, other stuff can be as good as Doctor Who at its best, but whose worst impulses are as fun as Doctor Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

thrawn527 posted:

I have no idea if this is true, but according to some posts on Twitter they said in some behind the scenes thing, the running around wasn’t scripted but David’s idea. And he did it about 7 or 8 times before he got too tired to do it again. :allears:

I can't blame him, because I think he recognized that this is clearly a set designed for a lot of running and mobility.

Which I think is a really good sensibility for how to design a TARDIS set, especially for an RTD tenure: if there's a downside of a lot of New Who TARDIS sets, it's that while they had a lot of places to stand, they don't often have a lot of room to move, which is disappointing for a show that likes to get really active and mobile. I feel like only Eleven's first console room was all that good at actually being an interesting space for the actors to move around in; the Nine/Ten and Thirteen sets had space, but not much to really do with it outside of watch someone noodle around on the console. And the Twelve set was great for a lot of interesting framing and prop work, but was clearly kind of a pain to actually traverse.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Boxturret posted:

Isn't the end of time when he becomes everyone in the whole world, Obama specifically?

Yes, and in the process becomes one of the most powerful cards in Magic's Commander format.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaz-L posted:

I will say it was a bit difficult to get a handle on the score in this episode, it played a bit like Gold's Greatest Hits at times.

The one I really noticed was the 'Doctor and Donna save the day' scene in the spaceship seemed to be using the Eleventh Doctor's theme.

Gaz-L posted:

Turns out deleting the words 'at the end of turn, sacrifice this' from cards is very powerful.

Also, it honestly feels like the Doctor Who villain deck was the one designed to appeal specifically to pre-existing Magic players, since it's the one with not just really weird card dynamics that only make sense to people who know the game really well, but also a bunch of reprints of big-deal cards. ...but because it's also the deck that appeals to fans of every era of the show, it also means it's really sought-after on that side, and the end result is REALLY jacked-up prices. Which is unfortunate, it looks like a really fun deck.

Oh well, I have the Twelve/Thirteen deck, so I get the joy of beating people to death with the worst episodes of the show. The abortion metaphor from Kill the Moon shouldn't be allowed to be a power card like this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Khanstant posted:

I got all four, hoping to play with my family at christmas. Just got sleeves for em just haven't gotten round to sleeving or yet so I'm still not sure what each deck is like.

A general pitch of what every deck's main 'thing' is:

Fourth Doctor: A whole lot of focus on Sagas, cards that gain different effects with every turn they're on the field. (Its Sagas are all named and themed on famous multi-part stories, it's very cute.)
Tenth Doctor: Outright use of the pre-existing 'time travel' mechanic, with a lot of funkiness about playing combos out of sequence.
Thirteenth Doctor: A bunch of stuff that works with the new 'Paradox' keyword, with cards that proc their effects if another card is played form somewhere other than the hand. It loves convoluted ways to get cards in weird places and then use them.
Villains: A lot of outright destruction, as well as both board and graveyard control.

From what I've gathered from both playing and learning from friends who are more into Magic than me, the Thirteen deck is probably the most powerful of them all 'out of the box', although it's also probably the most high-skill. Meanwhile the villain deck, as I said, has a lot of individual cards that are really big deals in both its reprints and originals, but if it doesn't hit those cards specifically then it struggles to get going. (EDIT: However, all of them are pretty good, both compared to each other and other precon Commander decks.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 27, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd recommend finding other ways to learn the basics (MtG Arena's tutorials are good), but if you're into Doctor Who then I think the decks are actually decent introductions to complex Magic/Commander decks, because they go through a lot of effort to accurately reflect moments from the show. It's hard to wrap your head around the Foretold Soldier just looking at it, but then you realize that its whole thing is just a card game version of how his weird monster gimmick actually worked. It can be a bit of a 'jump in the deep end and try your best' experience, but if that's a way you learn then it can do you well.

It also helps that the decks are actually good. Like, this isn't just softballing you a deck that's easy to learn but would fold the instant it entered a real match, they can actually throw some punches if you play well.

I'd probably put it at a good 'middle step' for learning. You don't want to learn the game's basics with them specifically, and it'll be a bit of a task to learn how to pilot them, but they're a good deck for your first time at a casual local event.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pops Mgee posted:

I just realized we're going to have to watch Tennant bite it a second time. :sadwave:

Yeah, but this time he will want to go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A minor detail I just realized about the latest episode, that I really appreciate: not only was the 'don't assume the Meep's pronouns' exchange really pleasingly brief in terms of showing the show's heart is in the right place on this, it actually provides a little bit of foreshadowing.

'The Meep is the genuine article' is a funny joke, but it's a little too grandiose for the Meep as it had appeared up to that point. ...which only makes sense, because the Meep's self-image actually is way higher than it's putting on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

lines posted:

Personally I don't have much sensitivity to my old name - I mean I never get called it really now, but it doesn't make me wince. With that caveat for me personally what they did with Rose in that regard actually worked for me quite well. I hadn't considered this issue with it being Trivia, though. Frankly I'm very ill-humoured at the thought of that.

Yeah, if anything Rose and Donna's response actually read as very realistic; Donna actually gets upset and tries to comfort Rose, but Rose is more just modestly annoyed at it. Those guys and that name don't really hold any power over her, but her mother doesn't quite recognize that. I can definitely see someone's relationship to their deadname not working in the same way, if there's trauma or emotional abuse related to it, but for someone like Rose it makes sense that it doesn't.

What I do think, though, and why I'm ultimately not surprised in that trivia point, is that a trans person's deadname or previous life/appearance is something only interesting to the cis people around them. It's ultimately voyeurism, wanting to see something you're 'not supposed to', and even if that scene was handled well, I have confidence that if a trans person actually wrote the story, they wouldn't have included it. (They probably would've included the misgendering scene between Donna and Sylvia, though, that was very good.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There's no speculation because RTD himself admitted that Disney+ has input into the scripts, he even gave a vague example of them telling him to change a particular scene because it wasn't jolly enough or some such thing. He tried to handwave it away by saying something like "if you're doing a show in the UK these days, you're going to get input from American TV companies all the time", which isn't exactly reassuring.

Given this is RTD Who we're talking about, changing a scene for 'not being jolly enough' is either concerning, or hilariously baffling. If it's a scene that's supposed to be really dark, that sucks but also doesn't quite make sense... but if they looked at Russell T. Davies doing a 'happy ending' scene and decided it wasn't happy enough, what the gently caress are you expecting?

All that said, Rose's treatment is giving me hope. She is exactly the stuff that Disney sands away from their own productions; if that got through, I can't imagine Disney's input is gonna stop much of anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MikeJF posted:

But ugh, Disney is probably going to try to fit this into one of their standard demographic target boxes and Doctor Who doesn't really fit theirs.

I feel like, if Disney was smart about this (a big if), and has the clout to get Who spinoff shows made for them, Doctor Who might work to be 'their version' of how Paramount is doing Star Trek. Several different types of show and story in a unified setting, often aimed at different audiences.

Ostensibly they also have Star Wars for that, but they've never successfully used Star Wars for that, since they keep wanting to grab the same audience of 'Star Wars nerds'. ...And are perhaps right on that, because even before Disney went all 'Disney' on it, Star Wars has never really managed to have a wide swathe of different genres be successful.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Edward Mass posted:

FINALLY had a chance to watch it. Knowing the twist in advance, I can say it was Fine, which is better than most of 13's run.

Also...how old is Rose Temple supposed to be? Because she looks older than would be possible, given Donna got married in 2009/2010.

15-ish, but the actress is now 20. Drift of a couple years if we assume the episode is exactly taking place when aired, but not too bad.

It's TV, teenagers are always played by 20-somethings.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Actually, something else that probably factors with Rose seeming older to people, which is something that's occurred to me in general in my life since I know a lot of trans people:

Our mental frameworks for 'how people age' are so unconsciously cisnormative that they just sort of... break when faced with trans people. Not only are you going to be looking at/for markers from both sexes when doing so, HRT just puts in a hell of a lot more subtle work than you expect, and basically means that there's often a whole-rear end second puberty somewhere in that person's history, and you don't know when!

Again, Yazmin's at a regular 'TV Actor Playing A Teenager' age (in fact I'd say she's younger than even they tend to be; my ballpark for TV Teens is like mid-20s), so obviously she is older than she's playing. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised if her height and stronger facial features are just throwing people's age estimates completely off in that way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Much like the Doctor, Time Lords and the Master are a bunch of liars. Time Lords told the Master this for ~rEaSonS~ and needed to tell him this lie to distract him.

I think this is actually why the Timeless Child reveals didn't really have much impact for me: why the gently caress am I supposed to trust these people!? Every source involved is a compulsive liar every other day of the year, why is this one reveal supposed to have impact?

Writers, please stop giving your integral infodumps to your cast's biggest liars. That wasn't even the only time that happened that year.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Slyphic posted:

It kind of half assed the whole new-doc post regen stuff with Tennant mostly just ignoring it with the two lines about "I guess I say that now" and it was lame. If you're not going to do it proper, just leave it for Ncuti.

It might be worth looking for the Children in Need short, Destination: Skaro. That's sorta where they put the 'post-regeneration wobblies' and immediate reactions this time, and I think it works.

It kinda sets up that '14' (I'm not committing to calling him that earnestly until we get Ncuti and learn if he really is) is... almost a little upset. Which I think is interesting, and it sort of reads that a regeneration has an element of excitement or anticipation to it for a Time Lord. That yeah, maybe saying goodbye to your last face and personality might be sad, but becoming someone new has its appeal and value... and so becoming someone you've already been feels like a goddamn ripoff.

Or maybe I'm letting my watchthrough of Deep Space Nine affect my approach, because that's basically the Trill.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
In my experience, you can usually tell fake leaks by them reading less like a thing the people in charge would actually do, and more like what a particular type of fan would want to see happen. It's like how every single Nintendo Direct leak flops because you can immediatley tell exactly the era of Nintendo the person writing it grew up with, and how they never include the weird little sideline announcements of 'I guess that's for someone even if I don't know who'.

This is one of those, because the idea reads like a very specific type of Doctor Who fanfiction.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Senor Tron posted:

Moffat did a lot of his own thing, but the biggest occasion of his run with the 50th special was all about wrapping up the the Time War and was probably the most RTD feeling thing he did.

I feel like a bit of a double-edged sword for Moffat is that he didn't really have 'one overarching thing', like RTD had the Time War and Chibnall had the Timeless Child. Moffat just found a new big, weird thing to do every season or so.

It does stop his tenure being pinned down as being about a singular thing that could be thrown out or undone, but it did instead show that he only had so many ideas for big crazy poo poo. (Which was also true of RTD, but 'it's the Daleks again' was at least generic enough to be less noticeable.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I was thinking during part of this that if The Star Beast felt like RTD going Full RTD Whimsy, this feels like his really solid attempt at Moffat Horror. Especially, like, Capaldi-era Moffat Horror, really feels like some of Jamie Matheson's scripts. (Who I just found out wrote a book this year, and I wish I could buy it!) I wish that led to me having an idea of how The Giggle could be doing a Chibnall-style episode, but I'm not really 100% sure what kind of episode in his run felt distinctly 'Chibnall' in style, especially in the context of what's clearly a 'contemporary London in chaos' episode, which distinctly wasn't a Chibnall thing, he did that quite rarely.

The best I can think without veering into just being bitter and angry at the overall quality is 'Chibnall Historical'. He had a very particular style of doing historicals most of the time, where the aliens and time travel mostly take up the sidelines while the core story is just a pretty good, broadly accurate period drama; I'm thinking Rosa, Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders. In fact, I'd say one of his worst episodes is when he did a historical episode that was mostly about the aliens.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 3, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, something I've been chewing on about the last episode. I don't think it's a mystery, or a big mistake, but more just something I noticed that was never nentioned.

Does the ship captain being a skeleton sound weird to anyone else? I'm not an expert on Space Science, but I feel like a body wouldn't have decomposed in the vaccuum of space, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am not as familiar with the 13 era, and it seems like they all ended up mostly okay.

Everyone in Thirteen's TARDIS got through okay, if a little bit off-kilter by the end; Chibnall actually did make a point that even if you are 'fine' after that sort of trip, it's something that changes you or faces you with poo poo that's gonna leave you with some personal questions to answer. If I recall correctly, Jacob Anderson's character (if you count him as a companion) actually got off better. And of course, Clara basically got an ending so wish-fulfillment that it feels kinda weird it's never come up since.

EDIT: Honestly, every time I come back to mentioning non-Timeless Child stuff about Chibnall's run, it's the epitome of 'sounds good on paper'. Pretty much nothing he tried ended up working, but none of them sound like just inherently bad ideas.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 4, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

Hell, Ker-blam's message basically boils down to, "Amazon is awesome, but maybe they go a little bit too far sometimes?" which is a line in a speech Joe Biden will give within one month of this post. By that standard, it's positively left of center for the Chibnall era.

As much as I don't like Kerblam, I think its message is positively salvageable compared to the worst of Capaldi.

The best you can do with Kerblam is to find a message against corporate overreach that's not really as angry as it should be. The best you can do with Kill the Moon and In the Forest of the Night is claim that they don't have a message because the one that's there is too awful.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think that script's making a misdiagnosis argument.

It's making it really loving poorly, and given the guy's other scripts I'm not inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

(My least favorite part of the Twelfth/Thirteenth Doctor MtG deck is that Forest of the Night is the reference for several cards, but they're all land and land management cards, so they basically only torment me; at least the Lunar Hatchling is a problem for everyone else.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Boxturret posted:

I want to like Bashir because he's best friends with Garak, but so far there's too many episodes without Garak.

You're objectively correct, but you might have the wrong thread.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am rewatching bits and bobs from NuWho now that I am back on the bullshit, and I forgot just how unforgivably horny Amy was for the Doctor for most of Series 5.

This is mostly unrelated aside from you reminding me, but earlier this year I found out that Karen Gillan's married to one of the guys from the Youtube channel Britanick, and I still can't completely wrap my head around it.

Like, those two things aren't in the same continuity. Doctor Who actors shouldn't be in the same universe as people I saw on Cracked, that's absurd.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Sometimes, sci-fi can let you cloak really lovely views and ideas in enough metaphor and abstraction to seem profound or prescient. I feel like the emotional origin point of that recurring 'computers with dead people in them' might be some serious Old Man Yells At Cloud thing, but it plays really well sometimes; I genuinely love Dark Water's pitch on the Cybermen because of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Ncuti’s first season of 8 episodes is already in the can. They’ve just filmed the 2024 Christmas special (which for once will actually have real Xmas decorations and wintery trees in the background, not just July pretending to be cold.

I know that modern TV production leans towards less episodes per season, but hearing his first season is only gonna be eight episodes is still disappointing.

I once saw a tweet pointing out that all the most popular shows on streaming had 20+ episodes per season, and that what people really want is 'hundreds of episodes, 30% of which are the worst poo poo you've ever seen in your life'. And even if RTD v1 Who was never that big in season order, it's definitely got that spirit to it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jisforjosh posted:

We're definitely in a universe now where myth and superstition are real. Why else would UNIT place the Toy maker's box in the deepest vault in SALT

It might also explain why going by the next trailer, we're going up against Literal Goblins. It'd actually be a pretty neat angle for a season of the show, seeing a Doctor have to deal with stuff that explicitly just doesn't follow 'real' logic.

...it also brings the amount of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure stands the Doctor just dealt with to five; six if you call the Giggle itself to be Survivor, which is a bit too much of a stretch for my liking but I can see it. (And seven if you also count Spice Girl, which you should.)

gently caress that was a good epsiode, though. I actually had a thought at one point that they were going to swing that the Toymaker was from the same 'outside the universe' that the Timeless Child was from. Which I'm actually a little disappointed they didn't do, because that'd tie a lot of things up weirdly well: the Toymaker was originally supposed to be a Time Lord, so it'd come full-circle in a very weird way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MikeJF posted:

Tardis wiki credits Donald Tosh on the Time Meddler DVD commentary: they're apparently talking about the Monk and mention that the Toymaker was also intended behind the scenes to be of the same race as the Doctor, back when it was very undefined what the Doctor was. Was well before the Time Lords were named in The War Games.

Yeah, it's perhaps not exactly right to say that 'he was supposed to be a Time Lord', but he and the Monk were originally planned to be the same species as the Doctor, and that species just didn't have a name at the time.

Weirdly, expanded universe stuff actually did stabilize to calling the Monk a Time Lord, but the Toymaker as a nebulous something else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wolfechu posted:

I liked the little hints that the Toymaker is a little bit... well, racist. But only slightly. The outrageous comedy accents, the "you must be used to sunnier climes" thing. Kinda hints at his previous story.

It's such a clever way to do it: 'oh, the reason he was a racist caricature the other time he turned up is because the character himself is racist'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You know, I can't really knock writers saying the Doctor just sneaks in a bunch of inconsequential adventures when we're not looking. If I had a time mavhine, I would ABSOLUTELY use it to procrastinate about the important stuff like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know it’s often a logistical thing with filming, but I do really like having an actual moment between the actors instead of the usual regeneration scene.

Hey, it works for Kamen Rider!

Also, anyone who thinks Gatwa was undermined by Tennant wasn't watching. One of those Doctors was definitely upstaging the other, but it was NOT Tennant!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

For the BBC? Nothing!

MikeJF posted:

For Disney+, on the other hand...

There also might be some problems there on reruns/regional broadcasts/later releases, right?

I know that's a problem that hit one of RTD's previous musical numbers, the I Can't Decide scene. (And my brain wanted to say it also caused issues with the Hartnell story The Chase, but a quick scan of the Doctor Who wiki says no.) Disney's got no shortage of money to pay for licensing, but they've also established a pattern of taking a show/movie off their service, so there could be a future where it goes somewhere else, and things get complicated.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 11, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Infinitum posted:

Add that to factors like Doctor Who not airing on the public ABC channel here in Australia anymore, with it only being available via D+ as they keep raising the price more and more, and.. welll.. yeah :filez:

I was actually working for a political party at the time this news came about, and shared it around as 'the weirdest thing that might be politically relevant'.

Seriously, any party that stands up for 'Doctor Who on Sunday nights on the ABC' surely wins at least a few votes, that's a more Australian institution than most TV actually made in Australia.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MikeJF posted:

The ABC should get special first rights to BBC stuff damnit it's tradition :colbert:

:britain::hf::australia:

Infinitum posted:

What good is a King if we don't even get Doctor Who out of it? :australia:

I genuinely believe you could at least get a rogue senate seat running on a platform of Australian media independence and local ownership with the argument of this, and 'The Simpsons should be on Channel Ten'.

I don't know how you'd enact that platform, but I do think you could get into office with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have had a thought about the 'myths becoming reality' situation possibly being a focus: while that's very cool on its face, a lot of its immediate potential is distinctly Earth-based: going into various real-world culture's myths, urban legends and folklore. That's absolutely very cool, and there's ways you could stretch that a little further out both in space (pull in some Martian myths from alien theorists) and time (not only is historical very natural, but there's merit in 'what does the Bigfoot myth look like in the 24th century'), it'd struggle to do a lot of classic Doctor Who alien stuff, it wouldn't really carry a lot of fun to go 'here's an alien planet you've never met before, now meet their weird demon-analog myth'.

But what you could do is play with the ideas of the fact that major longstanding Who aliens would have myths. The Cybermen probably don't get to play of course, but there's some solid potential in meeting an Achilles-style ancient warrior hero of the Sontarans, that the Ood probably have some kind of boogeyman, that even the Nestene Consciousness has some kind of superstition. Hell, as outwardly single-minded and robotic as the Daleks want to seem, we know they've got enough internal abstract thought to have myths, rumors and superstitions, let's see what they believe in!

...and then I realized that we already know that last one. Hell, it was a favorite of RTD's. And yet we've never had an entire episode about it.

What if we actually get an episode about the Doctor having to meet the Doctor that the Daleks have nightmares about?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've had a thought about the Fugitive Doctor's TARDIS being a police box. I believe its exterior is only visible in Fugitive of the Judoon, but I do think this logic plays anyway:

What if its chameleon circuit isn't broken? That was an earnest form of camouflage, because the chameleon circuits actually do know that blue police boxes just have a small chance of turning up wherever the hell, and nobody really questions it.

Basically, the Doctor time paradox'd their way into all TARDISes looking like police boxes sometimes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

I basically only use YouTube to listen to albums by 70s Japanese singer-songwriters,

I think that might actually be why. I watch a lot of stuff on Youtube, and my recommendations rarely ever go rogue, and certainly not with more than one recommendation among hundreds. If anything I feel like it's over-focused for me, it feels weird when a 26-view Pokemon video turns up on my recommendations, that is... concerningly confident.

If I had to guess, the algorithm wants a certain amount of variety so that it can show you more of its stuff; for a fairly regular Youtube user it'll have a lot to work with and be able to get things fairly accurate, but for someone whose entire watch history is old Japanese music and then apparently specifically current Doctor Who, it's gonna grasp at whatever straws it's got to get any variety at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I randomly decided to start watching season 1. In The Wild Blue Yonder, 10-2 carries around a bottle of salt. In Rose, 9 casually has plastic explosives.

In fairness, Nine just came out of a war.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

lines posted:

I will admit by the way that the first time I wanted the episode I didn't notice he didn't have trousers on. Was just too engrossed in the story and in his performance.

Honestly, even setting aside the question of if he should've been wearing trousers, it is fun that they never call attention to it. It's just sort of background detail to the scene, no more important than what anyone else is or isn't wearing.

In my mind it's also something of a contrast with The Christmas Invasion, where the robe Tennant was in (and its satsuma) was something of a recurring plot beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

Paradise Towers was good! It has a lot of problems that the show had around that time, but it is one of the McCoy stories I always enjoyed in spite of any flaws. Time and the Rani however.... oof.

We need that Gillian Anderson as the Rani story that Gatwa suggested, just so that the Rani gets a story that we can unreservedly call 'good'.

It'd also give me an excuse to try building a Magic the Gathering deck around her, she might genuinely be the best looking card in that whole set.