Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Matinee posted:

I think that’s a smart idea.

I’ve always found it weird to have actors’ first episodes make them act out of sorts, when they’re trying to establish their take on the character. Eleventh Hour dealt with it well, Christmas Invasion and Deep Breath very much did not imo.

Just hit the ground running in pre-broken-in shoes.

I was actually saying "man, Big Finish must be ticked that this series is serialized. There isn't any point to really insert a mid-term adventure for them. They could maybe sneak in a few when they were being thrown around time from the coffee, but that's a stretch for anything more than one audio. Well, at least it is Doctor/Donna so they can just do Tenth." And then the bi-regeneration and I was like Big Finish is eating good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TinTower posted:

The new DWM's comic takes place between the end of The Star Beast and the cold open of Wild Blue Yonder.

I should never underestimate their mastery of slipping in stories nowadays.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The irony is that the prophecy from Trial of the Time Lord is now sort of true. The Doctor did split around his 12th regeneration.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reddit's speculation on The One Who Waits is wild. A contingent is convinced it's Susan because the Doctor never came back for her after abandoning her on a destroyed Earth.

I think it's the The Beast Below.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In 2015, most social media sites changed their algorithm to focus on engagement. The algorithm is showing you inflammatory poo poo because a techbro with no sense of right or wrong wants you either mad or addicted to right wing bullshit. Left wing stuff tends to be too dry and based on fact for that to work since left wingers tend to actually back up their arguments and use evidence. Right wingers just do inflammatory stuff because their stuff is all culture war clickbait poo poo. If you don't constantly block it without watching until the algorithm realizes you aren't a mark, you get that poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ya know, I've noticed a lot of people have been bringing up issues with the bigeneration because they feel it hurts Ncuti. I also see that a lot of the individuals bringing up the concerns are black. This includes a friend of mine. And I can't help but notice that the concern seems to be rather "tut-tutted" in a lot of places I go to online. Reddit, especially. More than once I saw someone try to lecture that "black people aren't oppressed in Britain and it's all about classicism," which is not true. There is a lot of racism in Britians. Seems a little gross how the concern is not really being addressed. Feels almost like the kind of behavior that would push people away. That's just my feelings, but it something I've seen a few times.

Just one example is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/18g5hh2/spoilers_as_a_black_whovian_the_introductions_of/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

guess that's something Ncuti and Capaldi have in common

(Give us our sweary Doctors teaming up though)
(See also, Four and Seven swearing)

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1734641230817243502

Does X Rated mean something different in England?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

What do you think Clive is up to these days?

You haven't gotten to the end of the episode yet, have you?

Edit: They have had him be a companion to Rose in some audios set on Rose's World, if you do want to see him again. But that series didn't last long.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah right. It’s been like fifteen years since I saw the episode last.

Nah, I forgot that happened to when I rewatched it a few years ago. So, I get it.

I watched The Talons of Weng-Chiang yesterday. It was...SUPER loving RACIST. Holy poo poo. Just so casually racist. Like it was a matter of fact. It actually was astounding. Like, it was like walking into a different world. And the villian was definitely a white guy in bad makeup. Holy loving hell was that uncomfortable...

...And yet the serial was pretty good in spite of it. I never watched Tom Baker before. I could listen to that man read me the phonebook and be enterained. His companion was some warrior woman and that was fun. And the Jago and Litefoot characters were fun. I completely get how Big Finish did 7 seasons out of them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maybe the Vampires come back and we have a war in heaven.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Watching some more classic who recently.

I really enjoyed City of Death and this Romana was a very cute companion. I like the idea of the Doctor having another Time Lord. She's also kind of cute. So, is Tom Baker, if we're being honest. Man's voice is rather soothing, let's leave it at that.

Ark in Space reminded me a bit of Alien meets The Thing and yet it predates both. Yes, The Thing is a remake but the original was a generic alien on Earth story without bodysnatching. I found Sarah Jane rather great as a companion and the cheesiness of the special effects were wonderful. I also thought the aliens were rather interesting in concept. Normally, they're only animal parasites but, after absorbing one of the best and brightest on Earth, basically get a jumpstart on millions of years of intelligence evolution. Rather novel.

Caves of Andronzani was a somber affair but a good one. A nice political drama with an air of morbidity that made Peter Davidson's departure work so well. This truly felt like the Doctor was going to die, even though I knew he wasn't. Quite a bit of the magic of theatre, isn't it? To know one thing but choose to believe another. Strong performances all around and I can even forgive the silly floating heads as charming.

I just finished Horror at Fang Rock. Rather good story. It wasn't standout but it was solid. The mystery worked well, especially as it was a foe from the rogue's gallery that I never heard of before. They got no NuWho revival. The supporting cast added a good bit of tension to this slow burn thriller about an unknown, unseen killer. The effects on the Rutan were a bit lacking in a way that took me out of it. It looked like a ball of snot. For some reason, the cheesiness didn't save that one. Still, a wonderful tale.

Frankly, I must say Classic Who has been a wonderful time. My friend says I have been watching literally only the best of it so I have a biased opinion. Perhaps that is true, but I also saw the first episode of the sixth Doctor once so I know there are stinkers.

Honestly, and this might be daft, but why don't they do four parters again? It gives the story so much time to breath and grow. Ah, but I bet it's the budget. The show is awfully expensive to produce. And the budget for these old serials wouldn't do nowadays. Alas, the age of streaming services pumping infinite money into a show to get subscribers is dead. NuWho may have benefited from that on that blasted mouse's network

Why am I talking like this? Oh God, I'm doing that thing again where I mimic the cadence of a doctor I liked. Oh, that's insufferable of me. Could be worse. I also did this when Matt Smith was one and, well, you remember how he spoke.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

(this is a joke about the rumor that Martha Jones was a Rutan)

Thank you. I had no loving idea what anyone was talking about.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What if the One Who Waits is the Space Devil from the Satan Pit? Didn't Rusty say he wanted to do more with that idea in an interview?

Covok
May 27, 2013

2house2fly posted:

It will always baffle me that the "Timeless Child" reveal which profoundly alters the whole backstory of the entire series rendering multiple previous stories retroactively devoid of stakes (remember when the Doctor was about to die for real on Trenzalore? Remember the flashforward to after that time where the characters saw his grave??) not only hasn't come up much since, it wasn't even particularly important to the plot of the episode it was revealed in. The whole reveal was just to keep the Doctor busy while the Master got on with Cybermen bullshit!

Gonna throw it out here, I agree with Youtuber, DAVIS, that it would be kind of fine if a future writer reveals that The Master was the real Timeless Child. How it justifies he hatred of Gallifrey and why he'd destroy it. And telling The Doctor that story was just a distraction.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This classic who stuff has been so much fun. Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton are wonderful Doctors. Jon feels so much like a spy out of James Bond. And Patrick feels like someone smart enough to know to be stupid. It's honestly been rip roaring. And I am finding out so many things. Like the John Smith thing started with Spearhead from Space and the HADS comes from The Krotons.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Whybird posted:

I want to see that dude with the forehead hatch from Dalek come back as an antagonist. "Human who knows about the existence of time travel and wants to use that information to advance humanity (but will create a nightmare technodystopia future in the process)" is a cool as hell idea.

So, that actually happened in the comics. He comes back, blames the Doctor for his mother's death, kidnaps every companions from 11 and before, and there is a big to do.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I probably missed that line. I know exactly one person who hates Christmas and it’s because it’s his birthday.

It's also my mom's birthday, but she just hates the holiday because her mother and brother died and now she can only think of their absence on Christmas. She used to love the holiday.

Anyway, that bit of trauma needlessly shared aside, anyone else here play the Doctor Who TRPG?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone here do Big Finish? They got a pretty good catalog, honestly. I have recently been listening to their 11th Doctor Chronicles Volume 3 to 6. That stars Jacob Dudman as an amazing Matt Smith impression and Safiyya Ingar as Valorie Lockwood. The idea is that it is an unofficial Series 7c. It takes place between "Angels In Manhattan" and the "Snowmen." It follows the Doctor's search for Clara Oswald. So far, each of the volumes have had one or two banger stories per boxset. And the others are just forgettable at worse. So, kind of standard for a series of Moffat Doctor Who. They really get the way Moffat writers down, in a good and bad way. There is Moffat's tendency to undo deaths in it so far, but I'm okay with that since the season opening is so brutal. Overall, it's honestly been really strong so far. I'm about to start Volume 5, which just came out. It does feel like a one-off series that just kind of happened off-screen. If you liked the 11th Doctor, I highly recommend it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Big... What-ish?

Under the chance this isn't a bit, Big Finish is a british audio-drama company founded by a former Doctor Who Fan Film maker that has the official license to make Doctor Who audio dramas. They have been running since the Wilderness Years. They are primarily why anyone likes the 8th Doctor as he, alongside side the 7th, 6th, and 5th, were their main features for their "monthly adventures lines." Since then, the 4th, 9th, and 10th Doctor has joined. They have good impersonators for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 11th Doctor, as well as impersonators for all the Doctors if the main actor can't make it. They have so-so impersonators for the 12th Doctor. Yeah, that one can be rough and when Tenant can't make it his impersonator is a bit rough too. It's actually Jacob Dudman, who is mainly their really loving good 11th Doctor impersonator doing triple duty.

They have long since abandoned the monthly adventure line and instead do themed boxsets. For older doctors, this tends to be one long story like a serial. For the new who Doctors, this tends to be a bunch of thematically related stories. Sometimes, they do "seasons" where a bunch of box sets come together at a specific point in time to be like a missing season of the show. Big Finish's quality fluctuates but they generally make drat good work. Honestly, the biggest complaint with them is they produce "a lot" because they release a box set monthly and Doctor Who is their biggest IP. They have other IPs so Doctor Who isn't the only one up to bat every month, but it comes up the most often. Especially because they do every spin-off idea imaginable.

A UNIT TV Show? They have multiple with different eras. Stories just about the companions a la the Sarah Jane adventures? Yep, they got that. And sometimes their box set ideas are just REALLY out there. After doing roughly 172 episodes with the 8th Doctor, they decided to do one where...he loses the TARDIS in modern day london and has to adjust to life during COVID while renting a flat and slowly losing his mind. That's one called Stranded and it has a love-hate reception. They also tend to fill in blanks that don't always need filling in. Sure, they did Sharda and gave the 6th Doctor a proper regeneration that made Colin Baker extremely happy, but they also demystified the Time War by doing multiple series on it. Some of which are extremely good, like "Only the Monstrous", but it does show that it was probably better unexplained. Also, their cost can be a bit much since each boxset goes for about 30 USD and that can add-up. But, they go on steep price declines after a year or two.

If you want to get into it, spotify has the first 50 of their monthly adventure line free with ads here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2PKm8aJ43kvEqtzTmggKdn

If you want to see other stuff they make, here is their website: https://www.bigfinish.com/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Here is a recent trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVO45Tykn8

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wow, it's weird they're ending the Chronicles line with the 11th Doctor Chronicles. I heard the other Chronicles lines aren't as good, but drat this is good. I just listened to the bonus, download only story: Broken Hearts. I don't think I've ever seen Doctor Who do an introspective follow-up story where a companion spends the entire episode giving the Doctor the works because he did something over the line. The entire threat is just some inclement weather that responds to their emotional state so the story is pretty much devoted to the two getting to know each other better and come to terms with what they did to one another in a prior adventure. They both come out seeming like real people with problems that they work through and grow from. It's honestly kind of great.

I am really liking Valerie as a companion too. She really doesn't take guff in a way that Clara and Amy never did. It's really fun having a companion who will check the Doctor and will hold grudges and will take him to task. Of all the Doctors, the 11th really kind of needed that: someone who didn't see him as this big, magical, wonderful man and could call him on his bullshit and make him look at himself.

Edit: Like, honestly, this series 7c feels better than the rest of the Smith era. I blows series 6 and 7 out of the water and, as much as like series 5, it's definitely better than it. It might be the best season of the Matt Smith era so far (we got one more, four episode box set to go) despite not actually having Matt Smith in it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 24, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://youtu.be/x3ZaQqm-3oE

They're literally asking about your theroies about Mrs Flood on the official Doctor Who youtube channel so there is definitely a desire to make your theorize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

2house2fly posted:

What's "Mrs Flood" an anagram of? Come on, we've watched RTD Doctor Who before, we know how he thinks! Old Forms? DSM Floor? Kind of a joke about the DSM4, the old version of the psychiatric diagnostic manual... or what's the longer version of Mrs? Missus Flood? Sodium Floss? No, we'll need to get her first name if we're going to crack this.

Oh my god...she is Mrs. Ood. She is gonn spit her brain out into hand and become an Ood like in that weird rear end episode.