Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GigaPeon posted:

So my brain knows that RTD is all of Eccleston and Tennant, but my heart only replies with "Fart Aliens".

Can someone fix me?

Yeah, when people ask me if Doctor Who is good, I usually reply with, "Sometimes it's amazing, genre defining science fiction. And sometimes it's literally farting aliens. And you never know which it will be. And sometimes it's both at the same time!"

I can't believe how quick in his run he went with farting aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I love everything about this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That was fantastic. Loved it. More of that, please.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mooseontheloose posted:

I got Disney+ was this intro shown on the BBC or does Disney assume we're stupid Americans who have never watched the show?

Yeah, I will say that’s the only part that felt…off, to me. Like, the next Doctor will likely be the new jumping on point, this is an anniversary special. We should all know who Donna is. But it has been a while since Donna, so maybe not.

But even if you started with Matt Smith, you probably went back and watched Tennant. Like I did.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LividLiquid posted:

I quite like that.

"And we've been running ever since."

I totally forgot about this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

watching now and lol is Nerys a common name?

She’s Donna’s annoying friend from her wedding.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wolfechu posted:

Writing him running about when he first goes in must have been easy; just lead David up to the set with a blindfold on.

I have no idea if this is true, but according to some posts on Twitter they said in some behind the scenes thing, the running around wasn’t scripted but David’s idea. And he did it about 7 or 8 times before he got too tired to do it again. :allears:

edit: Now I’m seeing that in the commentary he says it was the director’s idea, but David picked his own route.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 26, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jisforjosh posted:

Seeing chuds online mad about little things like a soldier being Sikh just proves how laser targeted RTD is with pissing them off and I love it

Wait, I’ve seen a bunch of stupid negative takes (I can’t help but look, it’s a problem, I know), but I haven’t come across this one.

loving people. This didn’t even register to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

There’s implication the Dhawan Master had one, I think? Missy used a vortex manipulator, for sure. Simms used the Doctor’s, but I can’t remember if he said how he was on the Mondasian ship?

From what I remember, Dhawan Master had one, we saw the cabin from the window of the plane, but I don’t think we saw the inside (unless we saw the inside when we met him earlier? I only watched that episode once). Sims Master just used 10’s TARDIS, I think.

Any way you split it, I wouldn’t say you’ve seen “The Master’s TARDIS” in the revival, because even if you can find a loophole, it wouldn’t really be their legit console.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 26, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DoctorWhat posted:

Dhawan's Master has some kind of TARDIS in Power of the Doctor.

I honestly forget most of what happened in that story, except the appearances of the previous Doctors.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://x.com/ilyriversong/status/1728967218963366188?s=20

Interesting detail I don't think I've seen mentioned here. When the bullies deadnamed Rose, they called her Jason, which means that was the name Donna gave her at birth. According to RTD, the name Jason means doctor or healer, so that was another bit of Donna's previous memories leaking into her present, naming her child after The Doctor without realizing it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I rewatched the special just now, and I loved it even more.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So according to this Deadline article, current DW writers will basically no longer be receiving residuals from repeats of the DW episodes they wrote. Instead of receiving a smaller initial fee plus residuals for repeats, they will receive a larger fee up front (but won't get any residuals for repeats). This apparently was part of the deal the BBC and/or Bad Wolf made to get Disney+ as the international streaming partner.

Not quite sure how I feel about this, but my gut reaction is that it's not a good thing.

loving Disney.

Clouseau posted:

It's absolutely a ripoff for the writers, I have to imagine writing a script for a show that has as long legs as Who can be a nice little residuals bump. Now Disney gets the benefit over time.

Yeah, I think Doctor Who has more rewatch value than a lot of other shows, so this is bullshit. (Like...see above, I've already watched the latest episode twice in 3 days. But I go back and watch old episodes of Who more than most other shows out there, even Star Wars shows, which, given who I am, is really saying something.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Is it worth doing a big effort post from the perspective of a trans doctor who fan with a really unfortunate deadname? I don't wanna be preachy or venty but after my viewing of Star Beast yesterday I'm full of thoughts

I would read it, if you feel like writing it. But certainly don't feel obligated.

I actually don't know your deadname (and don't need to), I just know your name, which is awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CapnAndy posted:

I liked it quite a bit, but regarding the ending: "She had a kid so the power is spread out now" was a good solution, and the "binary/non-binary" thing was on the nose but sufficiently clever that I still liked it. But holy poo poo "oh you can just give the power up whenever, it's actually not a problem at all" was a cop-out. First off, why didn't Donna just do that right away then, and second, why do it at all? Donna and Rose sharing the bond and a bunch of technobabble knowledge was a cool dynamic and we got, like, five minutes of it. You could've just decided it was spread out enough to be non-fatal.

I mean, it's definitely a *dusts hands* whatever "and we fixed it!" solution so they can have Donna back for the three specials. But if I could try to do the same thing, maybe it only worked now because it was split between two of them? Maybe Donna didn't think of it the last time because her brain was overloaded with the metacrisis on her own?

I'm not spoilering, because no one else has been. We've all seen it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

Agreed there, don't see the harm in letting em be a lil time-lord. Guess they didn't want to introduce essentially a new subspecies of human with diminishing time-lord genetics?

I think it's this. They didn't want people wondering why, when things got bad in the future, they didn't go pick up Rose and Donna to help out, since they're part Time Lord and all. Just wipe that out and stop people asking questions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MikeJF posted:

It'll be Grand Admiral Thrawn, courtesy of the new Disney+ deal.

I bid you Dark Greetings.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TinTower posted:

that isn't canon anymore :cry:

It was always a canon grey area anyway. I don't think it was ever considered C-Canon on the level of the Thrawn series and others like that.

I read once on a different forum that they were written off as bed time stories Han and Leia told Jaina and Jacen, but that honestly would make it even weirder.

But "Dark Greetings" will always be canon in my heart. I can't believe the Mofference in Mandalorian didn't have the guts to use it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fil5000 posted:

It doesn't matter anyway because Thrawn was never even AT a mofference

Of course not, he would never bother with these idiots.

But the sentiment remains.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 28, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Senor Tron posted:

The glass wall between the Doctor and Donna with him lamenting how it isn't fair had to be a call back to 10 and Wilf in their adjacent glass boxes yeah?

That's all I could think of when 14 started screaming, "Why does it have to be this?!" Reminded me of, "I could do so much more!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Also, that scene gave me my two favorite lines of the episode.

"Donna Noble is descending." Which was a great call back to her earlier conversation with Rose. Don't gently caress with Donna when she's protecting her daughter. And...

"Do what you want. This ship isn't going anywhere. You were beaten. By the DoctorDonna!"

I really loved this episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

Right?! For not having seen a single scene with him as Doctor it's amazing how strongly he just reads as one.

It will be incredible once we actually see him in action and realize between fantastic still poses, he talks and acts like Mr. Bean

I've only ever seen him in one thing, the Barbie movie, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in a larger role.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Resdfru posted:

I'm super excited for him too. It also makes me sad when I think about how Whittaker and Dhawan were wasted by Chibnall. I really hope Davies finds a way to bring them back at least once.

Also, what are the odds the timeless child stuff is never mentioned again. Probably high since aside from stuff Moffat set up himself during Davies v1 every show runner just erases the board and starts over

I'd be shocked if it's brought up again. I forget where I saw it, but I think I saw RTD say he wasn't going to retcon it, but to me, that says he'll just ignore it and move on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Here we go!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh not creepy doll poo poo, noooo!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

GODDAMMIT 14 WHY WOULD YOU CLOSE THE DOOR

Pretty sure the door closed itself, like the others. This one was just faster.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I love Donna so much.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Amazing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, feeling like a real closure on Doctor Who (2005) to make way for the soft reboot.

So.. how does this work now? Does 14 eventually regenerate into 15, and we got 15 early? Or can 14 regenerate into new forms? Does 14 stop regenerating cause he's split off? Will Tennant finally stop leaving extra copies/body parts of himself about?

RTD back babyyyyy

I really liked the episode, but yeah, I’m confused what this means moving forward. In the spoiler thread we knew about the bi-regeneration thing, but not the two Tardis part. And I kind of assumed the 14th Doctor would somehow lose his Timelord-ness, like the Rose Doctor, but nope, he’s 100% The Doctor, with a Tardis he’s clearly using and everything. That had some interesting implications moving forward.

Great for this episode, though.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 9, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

I forgot we had a spoiler thread :v:

Wondering if that was Missy at the end picking up the tooth.

We can only hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jisforjosh posted:

We did know about the 2nd TARDIS in the leak/spoilers

Oh. I don’t know how I missed that part. My mistake.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Also what is up with that random alien robot Unit had?

RTD, that’s what is up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://x.com/jetsam_shoes/status/1733574273875226646?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I will say, 15 hugging 14 was just so…nice. Addressing mental health and needing to take a moment and have a hug is just wonderful.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I just realized that Rose Noble will call 14 “Uncle Doctor”, and I love that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I’m gonna laugh when the we find out the Master was saved by…herself. And she could only do it, because she had already done it, or some silly nonsense like that.

Annabel Pee posted:

Thought this said Ross Noble and was very confused.

I just wrote Rose at first, but that was ambiguous. Looks like I still failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Hm...hand with red nail polish picks up gold tooth

Kate was wearing red nail polish

...Master as part of UNIT for its spinoff series to fill the Time Lord quota?

Oh. Ohhhhh.

I mean, maybe. But really, anyone can wear red nail polish.