Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Edward Mass posted:

Outside of the UK, though, it gets complicated...

For the current run, new episodes will not be on TV, but instead streamed on Disney+.

Wait is BBC's Doctor Who NOT airing on BBC America? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"Caitlin Blackwood, who played kid Amelia Pond, is now 23, which is the same age Karen Gillan was when "The Eleventh Hour" aired"

What the hell is time

:corsair:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the flipside there's the massive uptick in quality from The Dominators to The Mind Robber.

Massive uptick in NuWho:

Aliens of London/World War Three into Dalek

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just don't see how 'canon' even works in Dr. Who. They're constantly changing history, everything's canon, even the contradictory poo poo.

Yeah canon goes out the window as soon as you start looking at Earth's future timeline and how many different ways it "ended"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

But I guess the composition of (some) real world fascist organisations have changed with the times and their metaphorical versions might change as well. But it still strikes me as a little wrong.

loving Ernst Röhm was head of the SA (Brown Shirts) and one of Hitler's closest allies while being homosexual. He was later murdered by the party during the Night of the Long Knives. So yeah a fascist organization can have members you wouldn't traditionally think of belonging when you're talking about early days of a regime.

Edit: Fascist organizations are typically more lenient in their early stages to creep into power before amassing enough that they can exert their true political will.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 21, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

I already know there's a steam pile of bullshit on Twitter about the pronouns discussion

Edit: lmao oh god I looked and it's so much worse than I thought

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 25, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq6KPQsjJE

For those that didn't have access

Edit:

The episode did one important thing for me. Throughout Chibnall's run, I thought I had outgrown Doctor Who and finishing season 13 felt like a a chore at times. After watching this special, I'm so glad that I was wrong and that it was the show that had changed.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 25, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I totally forgot about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4dJ8n64HE

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Seeing chuds online mad about little things like a soldier being Sikh just proves how laser targeted RTD is with pissing them off and I love it

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally watched it.

Goddrat I did not realize how much I missed the RTD era :allears:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smith and Capaldi and the relatively consistent quality of the Moffat era, but RTD is just more fun. Yeah the plot’s nonsense and the resolutions come out of nowhere, but that was a solid hour of two old friends having a crazy sci-fi adventure.

I want to see the alternate universes where Tennant got one season under Moffat and Smith got one season under RTD.

Allegedly that first one almost happened

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Now I can't remember where I saw this, but a 'double dagger' is another name for a diesis, or ‡

The Radio Times used to use that symbol to denote a TV listing was a repeat.

I think I saw that in this very thread

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

lol that bizarre Christmas episode leak was spot on and I am all aboard for that ride

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I do find it interesting that Murray's been threading I Am The Doctor in these episodes, seeing as that was Matt's theme, and it wasn't used for Capaldi or Jodie.

Biased because Smith was my intro to the show, but it's the best theme.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anji's interesting, in that she spends a lot of her time initial time in the TARDIS working through her own issues, and once that's over she starts secretly recording future history so she can play the stock market with future knowledge when she gets back. Which gets delayed a bunch of times for plot reasons, but she's very much got a clear goal in mind and a life she wants to return to.

I guess you could technically count Adam from Series 1 as a companion who attempts this if you have a loose definition of companion. Joins Rose and 9 at the end of Dalek then travels with them the following episode to the distant future in The Long Game on Satellite 5 where he gets that surgery to link and download all of human history and attempts to transmit it back to his time for profit.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Is there anything good in the Chibnall era? I think I bowed out after a few episodes because it was really quite... boring.

Sacha Dhawan as the Master just devours scenery

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

A question to fellow Americans - have you seen ANY promotion for Doctor Who this year, either online on on TV? Because I haven’t, which could explain the viewership internationally.

If I wasn't following this thread or the BBC Doctor Who Instagram I'd have no idea.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6DXUOsZavQ

Another preview for tomorrow

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 8, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Clouseau posted:

Not you. I was very confused.

(Not at all a spoiler, but a comment on the trailer so whatever)
I really hope that *ding* when the Toymaker winks is not in the show.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That terrible accent is going to be so distracting

Agreed on both counts

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Boxturret posted:

I just can't get over this video lol. This is how the flux ends? It destroyed half the universe but its just a tiny space cloud that can get sucked up by a man, while some lines from the Doctor are really lazily played over top?

Watching that clip was, to my brain, like seeing it for the first time even though I know I watched that entire season. It really does slide right off your brain

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Trinity Wells!

As soon as they mentioned giving Zeedex to everyone, you instantly think "lmao good luck, like trying to give everyone a vaccine"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"Oh well that's alright then!"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Neil Patrick Harris is actually working well in this, I had my doubts

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Weirdly after the split, the captions were referring to Tennant as the 10th Doctor

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Ncuti's theme definitely works better in context

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I had no idea the Eccleston to Tennant regeneration was filmed with David Tennant completely alone in the room (actor wise), Billie Piper wasn't even there!

I absolutely loved the musical call back to the 9 to 10 regeneration and Mel's use of "fantastic" just as Eccleston did before regenerating

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I really liked the episode, but yeah, I’m confused what this means moving forward. In the spoiler thread we knew about the bi-regeneration thing, but not the two Tardis part. And I kind of assumed the 14th Doctor would somehow lose his Timelord-ness, like the Rose Doctor, but nope, he’s 100% The Doctor. That had some interesting implications moving forward

We did know about the 2nd TARDIS in the leak/spoilers

quote:

Together, they manage to win the game and The Fourteenth’s prize was to banish The Toymaker from existence. After the game, the Fourteenth Doctor, the Fifteenth Doctor, Donna, and Mel discuss the consequences of their adventures mentioning Sarah Jane, Adric, River Song. Donna tells the Doctors why don’t they just take a break and enjoy the simpler life. That’s when the Fifteenth Doctor remembers he hasn’t said what his prize would be. A second TARDIS!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Bi-generation being a myth that turned out real makes me think of the Doctor having just invoked superstition at the edge of the universe last episode. Did he make superstitions and myths start to become real?

Considering what the leaks point to for the Christmas special, I'm assuming that myths becoming real is going to be a thread in Ncuti's first season

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I've been out is there a reason people tend to refer to him as Ncuti instead of Gatwa? Generally when taking about the others it's surname that's most commonly used but I see y'all saying Ncuti more often.

I suppose people tended to refer to Jodie Whittaker as Jodie too.

I always type Ncuti because 'Ncuti' flows off the tongue better than 'Gatwa'

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

14 saying he's a billion years old...Confession Dial time now counted or was he just being hyperbolic?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

My only real complaint is the direction could have been tighter for the game of catch. C’mon give us a few wide shots, break out the stunt doubles!

Apparently Ncuti could never catch the ball so he's palming the ball in every shot

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

65th Anniversary idea; The Three Davids. 10, 14, and Metacrisis

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

We're definitely in a universe now where myth and superstition are real. Why else would UNIT place the Toy maker's box in the deepest vault in SALT

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Astroman posted:

One could also point out that NPH putting on a hammy German stereotype accent is it's own form of problematic

Germany's actions in WW2, much like British colonialism, has warranted their accents being made fun of until such point in the future where the world considers the debt repaid. :colbert:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Hm...hand with red nail polish picks up gold tooth

Kate was wearing red nail polish

...Master as part of UNIT for its spinoff series to fill the Time Lord quota?

Hand with red nail polish picks up the Masters ring after the funeral pyre in Last of the Time Lords. Missy wears red nail polish...

thrawn527 posted:

I’m gonna laugh when the we find out the Master was saved by…herself. And she could only do it, because she had already done it, or some silly nonsense like that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ever since The Idiot’s Lantern, the show has tossed in Magpie Electric logos for TVs and such as easter eggs.

Actually, looking at the wiki, it’s been in tons of stuff I didn’t catch before.

Had no idea about the recurring logo, nice. Also perfect opportunity to share this; if you put 'anti' in front of 'fandom' in any Fandom wiki url, you get a version that isn't a hellscape plagued with ads.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

There's a new 30 second teaser up on the Disney+ Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB87uGgoKBg

Yes, Youtube algorithm, just because I watched a Disney+ video of Doctor Who means I hate "woke" content from Disney

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

"You know I really think you might!' still gets to me :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

Day of the Doctor was so loving good, can't believe it's been 10 years.

Seeing that scene day 1 in a packed theater was amazing

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

An incredible day (of the Doctor!)

And a just as incredible Night of the Doctor

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Warthur posted:

Got to the end of Flesh and Stone and holy poo poo the "let's have Amy sexually assault the Doctor but play it for laughs" scene is terrible. Just absolute dogshit. A lot of the shaky early stories of Moffat's run as showrunner feel to me like they've got all the parts of a really good story, but the bits haven't been put together correctly, and without that Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone would be one of those, but the assault sequence is horrid.

(I think Moffat probably convinced himself that it was feminist somehow, except there is nothing feminist about presenting the idea that sexual assault is funny and harmless sometimes. Any time you normalise sexual assault and don't treat it as what it is, you contribute to a cultural environment which proportionately hurts women worse than men.)

Don't forget the time in one of those "minisodes" between stories where Rory messes up the TARDIS because it has glass floors and he get distracted looking up Amy's skirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E-wzgx1Vzc

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For whatever reason, I actually kinda love these photos and don’t really get the same kind of dread others seem to get from them. The man is 88 years old and still has that mischievous twinkle in his eye. I get a genuine sense of satisfaction that Tom’s had such a long life and still clearly feels some joy for the role he’s best known for.

Pertwee, Troughton, and Hartnell all died relatively young, especially the latter two. Tom is nearing 90, which is awesome.

Troughton and Hartnell both dying at 67 really puts McGann being 64, Capaldi being 65, and how much life expectancy and lifestyle have changed and impact longevity.