Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So they’ve settled on calling him 14? It would make more sense to call him 10-2, or X-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The glass wall between the Doctor and Donna with him lamenting how it isn't fair had to be a call back to 10 and Wilf in their adjacent glass boxes yeah?

Wrath of Khan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Matt Berry’s music is legit great. He’s a full blown serious rear end musician.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So we're getting the final episode for X-2 this weekend and a Christmas special with Gatwa on Christmas? Do they celebrate Christmas the same day in the UK?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The captions referred to Tennant’s Doctor as Tenth Doctor. I am vindicated for calling him 10-2 and not 14.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please update the thread title to “Introducing The Fourteenth Doctor (Ncuti Gatwa)” so we can correct this confusion in the future, thanks in advance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What games would other Doctors have challenged Toymaker with?

I can’t decide if Three, Four, or Six would have gone with Russian Roulette.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t really see how X-2 eventually becoming Fourteen (Gatwa) is supposed to work. Is he supposed to one day say “oh hey, I fixed my trauma” and then his essence warps wherever in time and space to the moment he bi-generates in The Giggle? Does the second TARDIS just vanish in the aether? It’s obvious they’re now two branching paths.

My interpretation of the bi-generation is closer to Majin Buu. Majin Buu befriended Mr. Satan and his internal conflict became to great that the evil within him literally evaporated out of his body, which became Super Buu. Majin Buu and Super Buu lived on as two distinct entities. In The Giggle, The Doctor is shot with the giant laser, triggering the bi-generation. The Fourteen Doctor is born, separated from his trauma, figuratively and literally.

But that doesn’t mean that X-2 is stuck forever with his trauma. As we see, he’s given a chance to live a normal life and heal one day at a time. As in DBZ, Goku requests that the evil Buu get a chance at redemption and so he is reborn as Uub.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Either way I don't see them as branches, it's taking a ruler, chopping off a bit of the middle put and gluing the ends back together, and slide it up, so you get to 1 meter with fewer ticks on the ruler. Off to the side is the bit that was cut out but we already know it ends.

How do you factor in the second TARDIS?

The metaphor isn’t a one meter ruler, it’s an inch-worm. And when you cut an worm in half, they grow into two different worms.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Adder Moray posted:

If it were me writing: he dies at some point in the future and regenerates into 15. Because of the Toymaker's presence kinda being unbound by the laws of the universe, he kills 14 here and starts a regeneration that isn't supposed to be happening. So the two regenerations get shunted together and a 15 with 14's future experiences pops out of 14 in 2023. 15 continues onwards while 14 goes on to live whatever life he does until he dies at some point in the future and regenerates into 15. Because of the Toymaker's presence kinda being unbound by the laws of the universe, he kills 14 here and starts a regeneration that isn't supposed to be happening. So the two regenerations get shunted together and a 15 with 14's future experiences pops out of 14 in 2023. 15 continues onwards while 14 goes on to live whatever life he does until he dies at some point in the future and regenerates into 15. Because of the Toymaker's presence kinda being unbound by the laws of the...

We all know that they’ll keep whatever ultimately happens to Tenant vague so that they can pull him out for future anniversary specials, no matter how old he physically looks. RTD is already retconning bi-regeneration for the reason why past Doctors have shown up looking way older than they were when they regenerated.

Whatever timey-whimey theories there are for Tennant’s essence to go back into Gatwa, the realities of shooting a live action show with real people will give way to the simplicity of branching lives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

While that was likely the intention, given the ratings, I don't know how valuable that is anymore. Each of the specials have had worse numbers (5.08m, 4.83m & 4.62m) on the overnights, and none of them have even reached Capaldi's last special let alone Jodie's first episodes (she was pulling in good ratings until Spyfall) which has to have made Tennant a lot less valuable as a possible ripcord to be pulled than he was before the specials.

Does that put Disney+ into account? I don’t put much stock into viewership numbers in the streaming era.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t mind it, the simplicity of the game was the point.

I don’t think that plan would have worked. Toymaker seemed like a very patient fellow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Make a new Five Doctors special

But with Colin, Tom, Sly, Paul, and Jodie

and don't say "Power of the Doctor"

I think they could get a wax Capaldi in there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I randomly decided to start watching season 1. In The Wild Blue Yonder, 10-2 carries around a bottle of salt. In Rose, 9 casually has plastic explosives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What do you think Clive is up to these days?

Also,

“Boy that Time War was crazy. Welp, I’m gonna go visit my mate up in Dallas.”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah right. It’s been like fifteen years since I saw the episode last.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not a duplicate, a branching TARDIS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just started Dalek. Takes place in Utah, 2012. Diana Goddard guessed poorly when asked if the next president would be Republican or Democrat. Her natural accent slips up when she when she pronounces anything with an R sound.

I often hear that British actors do American accents better than Americans doing British accents but I hear that they usually only do a specific US dialect. Maybe that’s why Daniel Craig’s Benoit Blanc is so good?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have some more companions exit by not dying so they can have an opportunity to return for a cameo in a couple decades.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m on Runaway Bride. A couple thoughts:

1. They mentioned Narys in The Star Beast. I thought they were going for a Maris-style joke like in Frasier, but I forgot she was actually in The Runaway Bride.

2. Who schedules their wedding on Christmas? Is this a British thing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Doesn't Donna explicitly say she did it because she hates Christmas?

I probably missed that line. I know exactly one person who hates Christmas and it’s because it’s his birthday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rewatching The Lazarus Experiment. I think the premise had a lot of potential which was wasted with Lazarus just becoming a Resident Evil monster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I rewatched The Sound of the Drums and have realized how much RTD lifted from it for The Giggle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

eke out posted:

"mrs. flood" certainly sounds like a name that will be dramatically revealed to be some kind of allusion eventually

Something something Pond makes a River something something overflows to create a Flood.

His daughter between him and River Song. That neither of them knew about. Somehow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/dimensionsinjen/status/1739405978674618446?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

It’s clear that RTD views pizza as a sign of mundanity.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mrs. Flood mentioned not seeing a police box like that for fifty years. If she had specifically seen the TARDIS and not a regular police box, that would have been 1973.

Obviously we wouldn’t see the Brig or any familiar characters, but I do wonder if they’ll have The Doctor pop by 70s era UNIT for old times sake?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Mrs Flood is from our universe, where Doctor Who is a fictional TV show.

It's why she's so excited to see the TARDIS on Christmas Day, but also thinks it's silly that someone doesn't know what the TARDIS is.

Mrs. Flood is going to punch the walls of reality, becoming responsible for all the continuity errors in Doctor Who.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

“Mrs. Flood, you’re an angel!”
The Doctor hugs her, turns a few steps, and then comes to a realization.
“Oh no no no, I just remembered that you turned on the machine that turns video games real.”
Mrs. Flood explodes into the flood from Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can we talk about Chesterton’s banger of a robe in The Keys of Marinus?