Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Penix is DeShone Kizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

To be clear, I'm talking about college Kizer, not NFL Kizer. The way they both throw the ball at just one velocity. Kizer was absolutely failed by the Browns. I'm not sure he ever would have been good, but he had traits as an NFL prospect.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Relentlessboredomm posted:

how much is the dui gonna hurt him anyway? 2nd round? 3rd?

its sort of like politics at this point, we all know the illegal bad thing doesn't genuinely derail your career it's just a question of how big the roadbump is

I think it really depends on how teams grade him. If they like him, won't matter. If they already had concerns, he'll drop.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diva Cupcake posted:

I admittedly haven't paid much attention since The Beast hasn't been released yet, but I just think Odunze is WR1 to me. He's going to be awesome. I have the most fun watching him play.

Over MHJ? That is a bold take. It would not surprise me if he has the best career of the three, but I can't go against MHJ. That guy is a man.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I dont think his name hurts, but I think the fact that he is a physical freak with a huge catch radius and very technically sound routes has a lot more to do with it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

re: MHJ it's worth noting that Literally Jerry Rice's kid is in this draft and he ain't poo poo

Rice's kid isn't his dad, but I wouldn't say he ain't poo poo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Harlock posted:

McCarthy is still the most fascinating media generation of the draft. Looking back at mocks from December and even right after the national title game where people had him anywhere from mid-teens to 2-3rd round to have a meteoric rise to top 5 or top 10 without any actual football being played since then. It's not like he played for a team with zero media coverage the whole season.

I will actually feel bad if the Vikings end up having to pay three 1sts for the right to draft him.

I think Dexo nailed it, but also the fact that multiple teams interested in a first round quarterback is just going to inflate his price. It's a tale as old as time

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The argument that JJM would've thrown more if he was better is a bad argument. Michigan wasn't built to air it out. They were trying to win championships with defense, a dominant run game, and situational passing.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nodoze posted:

Josh Allen had terrible college numbers

Josh Allen should be treated as an anomaly. Nobody who watched him in college saw that coming.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

wandler20 posted:

Stats I'd argue that do tend to matter IMO are sacks and INTs. If a guy isn't getting sacks or INTs in college they aren't all the sudden going to start getting them in the NFL.

I don't know that I agree with this

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think if he had half the yards, we'd like him more as a prospect considering how often he just decided to book it without keeping his eyes downfield. Half those yards with that cast probably means he's making better decisions.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Alaois posted:

I think youre wildly overvaluing SEC defenses, especially SEC West defenses

Wasn't the SEC the worst it has been in years this season?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Doltos posted:

Part of LSU's offensive scheme was stretching the plays horizontally to give him those wide open runs. While a lot of WRs are taught to sit down in drag routes or ins/outs when they reach a throwable window, Nabers, Thomas, and Lacy would stretch their routes further from easier throws to pull LBs. It's remarkable how little Daniels ran when the playside routes were digs or hooks. He aims to home run hit so much that I think it almost taught him to be more disciplined in throwing the ball if there's traffic on his side. Not that he did it all the time, I just think it's an acceptable level to think that he's capable of opting for a throw over his legs.

Really I think the knock is that his arm strength downfield is mediocre and he took off against wide open go routes because he couldn't hit them past 40 yards.

Now this is a great insight. I was not aware of that and it is really quite a great use of talent.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nosre posted:

Schefty's a mouthpiece for agents and teams, but how reliable is he considered for something like this?

https://twitter.com/HogsHaven/status/1778889390254657897

Because he is a mouthpiece, he is the least trustworthy during draft season. He's just going to put out what teams want put out.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Xavier Leggette is fun as hell. I don't think that is much of a reach. I can see how he got there, even if I dont agree. I still agree about Hyatt.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I know this thread is low on Xavier Worthy, but he might be the most fun receiver in this class. Just finished scouting him and that dude fucks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stop drafting Bo Nix ahead of Penix, what happened to this country?!

The idea of Bo Nix going in the first round makes me wonder if these people watch football

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

And next years edge class is significantly better by all accounts. I'd rather they take Murphy than any edge, but really I think receiver is a bigger long term need than it first appears.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

On top of that, the NFL is the one sport that talent is most dependent on the talent around it. You can be an elite defensive talent at cornerback, but if you got no pass rush, you're hosed.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Doltos posted:

I think this draft is weak as hell so I'm not sure how many teams would want to trade back, if they agree with me

It is why I'm skeptical the Bears will trade back despite lots of projections. Poles has been trading his picks this year for players and acquiring picks next year because he thinks it is a weak class. Why would you then turn around and try to get more picks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Because one of the ways to gain expected value in the draft is to exploit the bias of other gms. A big bias is that other gms undervalue future picks.

I've never understood devaluing future picks. Only time it comes into play is if your job is on the line and if you aren't acquiring capital early you are probably losing your job anyway.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Forrest on Fire posted:

If the picks are not in the first two rounds, good contending teams are capable of producing additional draft compensation through comp pick systems. If players leave and have productive seasons or if Rooney Rule candidates are hired, it's feasible to replace the future third traded with a later third round pick

I think if you aren't a good team that system won't work though and for anyone who isn't the 49ers/Chiefs/Eagles/Bills and regularly playing in the playoffs it isn't really sustainable.

Poles has been building by trading down in the middle rounds to cover depth. Even though they have 4 picks this year, they have had a lot of picks over the last three years. It is playing the middle rounds that builds up a roster. And they did this with zero comp picks. Rosters are built through the middle rounds imo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Second and third round picks are comically undervalued by GMs

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Poles has also traded up to get guys he liked.

Poles strikes me as someone who sticks to his board, and will trade up if he can because he thinks one of the players in a certain tier aren't going to be there, their next pick, but will also trade back if he has like 20 players he's willing to take and would be happy with any of them etc.

Like if he wants a WR, I don't think a trade up is out of the question to make sure he gets one, burning one of the future seconds he has next year. Or more likely I think he burns future capital to try and get into the second round this year. If he can't or doesn't want to trade back and do it.

100%. That is the right way to do it. You maximize value by trading to the bottom of tiers and use that extra draft capital to go get your guys. It prevents you from mortgaging your future while still having the ability to strategically target guys you want.

a neat cape posted:

I just don't see a tackle in the first round. We have an all pro LT and Pipkins at RT just signed a new contract and wasn't the problem last year. Both guards struggled, but one was a first round pick two years ago and the other has a whole bunch of talent at RG. We really need a Center more than anything.

We just traded away Keenan and let Mike Williams walk. The WR room right now is Josh Palmer, Quinton Johnston, and Darius Davis. WR has to be the pick at 5.

I don't really get it either. People in these streets acting like Slater ain't a stud at LT. I think the 5th pick is MHJ or trading down for extra captial.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

man the week before the draft is the worst

Also the best

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't like steak so i would plummet in the draft. everything else about me is #1 overall material. the league is letting me down

I've already knocked you down a grade as a poster for this shameful admission

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Relentlessboredomm posted:

imma need to see more bad pie charts from other qbs to have any point of reference, i also don't understand why running for a positive gain is somehow a bad thing when you have a dual threat qb

Something something play the game the right way

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

my great posts will prove you all wrong. all pro level

I'm rooting for you

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

My favorite part of scouting is how we can all see different things looking at the same guy. I'm with Solak. Penix benefits greatly from the best receiver room in college.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

I so wanted to put Bryce Young below Anthony Richardson lol, but didn't have it in me to go that against consensus.

The Mahomes draft is what got me to just YOLO and go with what I feel. I loved his college tape and everyone was acting like he was gonna bust hard.

I still like Bryce Young. He was absolutely failed by the Panthers.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

The moment I knew I was suffering from Draft Delirium was last week, when I started wondering if Xavier Worthy was actually secretly worth a mid-first round draft pick and his 40 time was clouding people's judgment/causing them to look at him as Just A Speed Guy. Really got hung up on the fact that he had an ~Early Breakout Year~

(I still do think he has legit upside + is better positioned to succeed than a lot of dudes whose stock got boosted on the back of a strong 40, but he's got enough potential shortcomings that Day 2 is the right place for him)

Xavier Worthy is one of my favorite guys. He is a lot stronger than he looks for a small guy and he isn't just a pure speed guy. His feet are so loving quick, he has great change of direction, and accelerates very fast. He is so loving fun. He doesn't have a wide catch radius and he isn't winning 50/50 balls, but that isn't his game. If you put him in space, he'll wreck you.

Dexo posted:

Worthy was failed by his lovely QB :colbert:

That stood out to me. Ewers was not good at all.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Xavier Worthy in KC would be fun as hell

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

If anyone is interested, here's the article. Won't be able to see the clips but this is someone I trust

This is an excellent breakdown. Pretty much what I saw.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I want to push back on the idea that Washington and NE have to make their move at quarterback now and say that depends on how committed you are to a rebuild. The Bears got supremely lucky in getting the number one pick, but they also made a point of doing a complete teardown and rebuild to put themselves into the position of getting their quarterback this year. No matter their record this year, they were likely to have two top 15 picks to make their move at quarterback and have enough pieces around him to succeed.

Taking a guy without a development plan is how the Bears ended up ruining Justin Fields. It might not work with Caleb, but there is no denying he has been set up incredibly well to succeed. New England and Washington would be way better off long term taking that approach. It isn't even that hard of a sell to the fanbase.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The bears ruined Fields because the coaches were lovely and he had among the worst surrounding talent in the league for *multiple* years.

If we consider your hypothetical scenario where the bears end up with two top 15 picks, that wouldn’t be enough to get Caleb or <QB2>. That would maybe be enough to get <QB3>. And probably be enough to get <QB4>. So would the bears be noticeably better with JJ McCarthy instead of Fields (and the two other hypothetical top 15 picks)?

They ruined Fields when they let a GM draft him and fired that man a year later. At that point, the new GM had to pick between developing a QB he didn't draft or addressing the numerous problems the previous regime left him.

My point with the two top fifteen picks was more to illustrate the unpredictability of the second pick. The Bears were always going to have a top ten pick because that is how they were built. They also spent the last couple years building up a lot of draft captial. They don't have as much this year, but they do have a lot of capital next year. Two first rounders this year and a future first would have allowed them to move with any team willing to trade and I think New Englad would move for that compensation.

I think it is very likely that NE is trading down and the Bears would be able to move into that spot. And one of Daniels/Maye with the supporting cast they have would do very well for them. I've always been of the school of thought that more quarterbacks are ruined than developed.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

I'm gonna have to go with cavauro on this one. If you're actually good, your talent will shine through regardless of situation. If you have the drive and dedication, a couple tough years of losing, changing coaches, and taking sacks won't stop you from getting there.

Justin Fields is a potential backup now because he's not that good at throwing a football. Zack Wilson, Trey Lance, Mitchell Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, they were all always going to disappoint.

The idea that you can 'ruin' someone permanently by fielding a bad team around them, has always seemed like bullshit to me.

The only exception to that is if your protection is so bad that you ruin someone through serious injuries. That could be possible. The narrative of making good QBs permanently bad because the team is bad, I just don't buy that.

Fields is good and I think he will he fine. And when he does well in Pittsburgh, it will be a very strong case for how important development actually is. The idea that if you are good you will always be good might be true in other sports, but football is too dependent on coaching and development.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

My podcast draft is Tuesday and I have Washington.

Going to go through all the pros and cons for Drake Maye and Jaylen Daniels and then take Joe Alt. I don't have to worry about getting fired or idiot fans and I think that's the best thing they can do

Are you able to trade down?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yudo posted:

I don't think you appreciate how badly RGIII got himself pasted. The number 2 pick is cursed in Washington anyway.

I think you need to watch more JD tape. RGIII isn't in the same league when it comes to taking stupid, unnecessarily brutal hits.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

LaPorta was also drafted in the second round at #34.

He was also considered the best tight end in last years class by a few people. I think scouting tight ends has gotten better the last few years. If he had been drafted in the first, nobody would be complaining right now.

I will bang the Brock Bowers drum. He is the guy who falls because of positional value in every draft that we all look back on and realize it was obvious he was gonna be a stud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

They can both be dawgs