Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shard posted:

MJF is an amazing wrestler I wish he would just wrestle more.

I still absolutely love that seminal match he had with Darby where he was doing incredible poo poo. Same with his under the radar match with Takeshita early in his title run. I forgot how good he was because he started leaning so hard into the kangaroo kick and double clothesline stuff which wasn’t initially bad but again, it got run into the ground. But given how banged up his body was getting I don’t think I can blame him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shard posted:

MJF is an amazing wrestler I wish he would just wrestle more.

MJF was working weekly during his reign until he got injured IIRC.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Wardlow will win a big title just maybe not the world title and yes when he gets his shot I will toxx on it. But not yet

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

I still absolutely love that seminal match he had with Darby where he was doing incredible poo poo. Same with his under the radar match with Takeshita early in his title run. I forgot how good he was because he started leaning so hard into the kangaroo kick and double clothesline stuff which wasn’t initially bad but again, it got run into the ground. But given how banged up his body was getting I don’t think I can blame him.

right he never needs to do that from the ring to floor cutter again. that looked like it hurt like a mother fucker

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

MJF was working weekly during his reign until he got injured IIRC.

you're probably right. A lot of my issues with mjf feel like my perception. I thought he didn't wrestle enough because of that period early in his reign and in 2022 where it felt like he never did. Same with my perceptions of his promos. I remember loving them before but then after his stuff with jay white hating them. I think it was him acting like Jay White and Swerve weren't on his level and it rubbed me the wrong way.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

People were going nuts for wardlow on here and people still dig his powerbomb gimmick. The probably is as soon as he got like a title he was off tv or instantly lost it to something like loving QTV and another missed hobbs push. It's not wardlow it'd the guy who doesn't know how to book him because he's not one of his favorites

Wardlow's first TNT title reign was 136 days and had 9 defenses. It just wasn't very good.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

you're probably right. A lot of my issues with mjf feel like my perception. I thought he didn't wrestle enough because of that period early in his reign and in 2022 where it felt like he never did. Same with my perceptions of his promos. I remember loving them before but then after his stuff with jay white hating them. I think it was him acting like Jay White and Swerve weren't on his level and it rubbed me the wrong way.

A lot of the mjf problems were made up in people's head, yeah

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

A lot of the mjf problems were made up in people's head, yeah

aren't all of anyone's problems to do with anything located in that person's head? along with all their other subjective opinions?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

aren't all of anyone's problems to do with anything located in that person's head? along with all their other subjective opinions?

Now you're getting it

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
My problems are stored in the balls.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Nothing revealed MJF's weaknesses in promos faster than entering a feud with Jay White and then Samoa fuckin Joe back-to-back.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God drat Joe is great and I'm so glad he got to be AEW World Champ.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I hope Joe wins at Dynasty. Cole should have never been a wrestler. They took Jay White off a massive NJPW run and made him Heath Slater. At least like a real CEO, Mone doesn’t do any work.

This is the hell thread.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Joe is a great wrestler and champ and also putting it on him instead of Hangman or Swerve was a huge mistake because all we've really gotten out of it is Swerve almost losing his heat by acting like a good guy for 2 weeks before they realized people want to see him commit violence and Joe doing the same champ run he always does. Fun but we need some forward momentum.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

None of the 3 guys in the title picture are “good guys” they are all psychopaths which is why it owns

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I just think Swerve needs even more time and to win a good midcard feud. This will be likely Joe’s last run on top i’d get some more out of it, and have Ospreay beat him and let Swerve and Ospreay trade it back and forth to build them both as two sides of AEW’s lucky coin, because they’re far away the best up and coming guys in the world, with Takeshita close behind

The actual four pillars right now are Darby, Takeshita, Ospreay, and Swerve. The only other contender is MJF. Sammy and Jungle Joke Perry should be let go and working in a FedEx somewhere

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
MJF was a bad babyface as top champion and his shtick doesn't work as one. He'd go from goofy brochaco trying to get anything over as a catchphrase slop to pivoting right into "I'm a depressed adhd riddled jew who got bullied" melodramatic sympathy promos while calling the fans poor slobs enderingly.

Then his in ring work went from guy who when forced to can wrestle but is missing something so he has to cheat heel to goofy babyface who can withstand any punishment and injury who then still needs to cheat to win.

He would have been better off just playing the sympathy card and then cutting into the core of his opponents with insults and settle with more eddy Guerrero cheating babyface instead of Hogan stuff

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

MJF was a bad babyface as top champion and his shtick doesn't work as one. He'd go from goofy brochaco trying to get anything over as a catchphrase slop to pivoting right into "I'm a depressed adhd riddled jew who got bullied" melodramatic sympathy promos while calling the fans poor slobs enderingly.

Then his in ring work went from guy who when forced to can wrestle but is missing something so he has to cheat heel to goofy babyface who can withstand any punishment and injury who then still needs to cheat to win.

He would have been better off just playing the sympathy card and then cutting into the core of his opponents with insults and settle with more eddy Guerrero cheating babyface instead of Hogan stuff

I agree. I also think putting an obviously struggling with his mental health MJF on at that scrum where he’s crying and not making sense was a bad idea he probably chose to do. He desperately needed a break. He’s still my favorite guy in AEW overall, maybe the most underrated of the top tier 5 star workers

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1780999984273326221

I don't have a take to post right now I just like Shane Taylor Promotions and am glad they're getting TV time. More bad men who wanna beat people up, less fuckin' dorks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Crying promo was good, sorry you got worked

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Crying promo is MJF's "Tony is having WCW flashbacks"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

apophenium posted:

The Acclaimed will be losing the belts to the Bang Bang Gang. And That's on God

cap?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Crying promo was good, sorry you got worked
It wan’t a work though it was genuinely concerning like when UFC put a mic in Cormier’s face after his last loss to Jon Jones

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

He desperately needed a break. He’s still my favorite guy in AEW overall, maybe the most underrated of the top tier 5 star workers

his match with Danielson made me a believer. I mean Danielson can make literally anyone look good in fairness but MJF was great. his crowd work at Wembley live was insane

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Who gives a gently caress about MJF crying at a press conference, I just didn't like when he did lame poo poo on TV and wanted him to go back to doing cool poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I do, it was a really good promo where he talked about a bunch of kayfabe poo poo and used his real injury to bring out the emotion.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wardlow does good short matches and is a great as a heater in a multi-man tag but being an AEW singles champion means having to carry long matches and Wardlow really couldn't do it at the level AEW needs. His world title match with Joe was kept short cause of it

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Cole vs MJF at all in was solid because everyone assume they were just loving with each other by faking being nice and then once the match started they were killing each other with apron and stair spots, but then suddenly both men channeled the worse of Gargano/Ciampa era NXT why am I so violent that's my friend garbage. And then they remain friends to the point cole's foot exploded

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wardlow is absolutely washed, i have no idea why they keep trying stuff with him. many are calling him "boredlow" or "snoredlow" or even "wardlow ratings"

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
MJF is a real highs and lows guy and so I'm excited ror when he comes back. i think he can get there.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Joe is a great wrestler and champ and also putting it on him instead of Hangman or Swerve was a huge mistake because all we've really gotten out of it is Swerve almost losing his heat by acting like a good guy for 2 weeks before they realized people want to see him commit violence and Joe doing the same champ run he always does. Fun but we need some forward momentum.

Joe's given the belt a great foundation with his run which was needed after the last piece of MJF's run, got a much-deserved top guy run late in his career, and is about to put Swerve over big. It's times like this I wish I had saved the "People will come on here and just say anything. 'Joe is a bad champion' No he isn't. That's not true" image.

They course corrected with Swerve after two shaky weeks and it's been a killer run to the top that's only helped him.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

We got a really good OC/Taven match out of it

is a really funny thing to say about a 6 month long world title program

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

post hole digger posted:

is a really funny thing to say about a 6 month long world title program

:allears:

Yeah.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eat My Fuc posted:

I just think Swerve needs even more time and to win a good midcard feud. This will be likely Joe’s last run on top i’d get some more out of it, and have Ospreay beat him and let Swerve and Ospreay trade it back and forth to build them both as two sides of AEW’s lucky coin, because they’re far away the best up and coming guys in the world, with Takeshita close behind

The actual four pillars right now are Darby, Takeshita, Ospreay, and Swerve. The only other contender is MJF. Sammy and Jungle Joke Perry should be let go and working in a FedEx somewhere

Swerve won the feud with Hangman. The feud was all about taking Hangman's spot. And now he's in the main event. He literally did what you want him to do again?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Shard posted:

Swerve won the feud with Hangman. The feud was all about taking Hangman's spot. And now he's in the main event. He literally did what you want him to do again?

He was a heel 90% of that feud, now he’s supposed to be the top chasing babyface. I’d rather see him build that going over someone everyone hates, not just someone a minority hates like how I hate goofball substitute teacher emo rear end Hangman Page.99

What happened to your Mecca thread

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
this video's title "every blunder that led to the decline of AEW". I agree hiring cody and punk was a mistake

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You're watching that with Joe and it sucks

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

this video's title "every blunder that led to the decline of AEW". I agree hiring cody and punk was a mistake

how can that be a video when it should be a multi-part documentary, if not an ongoing live stream

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eat My Fuc posted:

He was a heel 90% of that feud, now he’s supposed to be the top chasing babyface. I’d rather see him build that going over someone everyone hates, not just someone a minority hates like how I hate goofball substitute teacher emo rear end Hangman Page.99

What happened to your Mecca thread

it sunk into the abyss of anything past page 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The mecca threads thrive