Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

How does Tony in Kayfabe say there won't be any outside interference, the exception proves the rule and then normal outside interference is totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Cole's looking better because he isn't doing the terrible fake tan job he normally does.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

I can appreciate Tony boosting the hometown indie talent though I can understand why it seems haphazard to someone who isn't from here.
Miro sitting on the shelf until Dynamite is in Bulgaria

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Reads like a eulogy.

With deepest regrets, and tears that are soaked
I'm sorry to hear your fed finally choked

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

There was a statement a few months ago that Britt was going to leave her dental practice to concentrate on wrestling. Either she's been devoted to closing up shop or ???

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Of all the suspension of disbelief in wrestling, Roddy wearing a t-shirt that has "ADAAAAM" on it kills the gimmick.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Skye Blue turned into the scooby doo van but then turned goth. Willow Nightingale had the eye but got better.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

"Hootin and Hollerin" is just the new "It is wednesday my dudes"

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Pylons posted:

I don't think it's particularly helpful to compare one of the best crowds with one of the worst. Crowd last night wasn't good, it happens.
It's been a trend for a long time, I'm sure there's a graph somewhere that shows per head revenue is up or something, but the shows feel and look dead. There's a lack of promotion for the shows, but at the same time if I watch the show on TV I am not compelled to buy tickets to what looks like an awkward, echoey event.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Pylons posted:

Didn't she drop that?
What’s the point of this question?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Shard posted:

what are commercials? Sounds like some kinda nonsense someone would have to watch if they didn't have aew plus

It’s that bit where they spill to the outside and then the heel puts on a headlock while the commentary peters out. It’s called that because you think about the commercial value of what you’re getting to enjoy.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

CJ debuted wearing a weird big blazer, not sure why.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

Okada kind of looks like Donald Trump

I always thought he looked like Elon Musk

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Ain’t no need for these seasts
They’ll be tarped off

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Maybe I'll think about watching Collision now that "Kevin Kelly is commentating" doesn't stack up with "Man that crowd was dead last night"

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

TV is a sludgy medium built around advertising and AEW now produces 4 hours of live TV a week, 52 weeks a year. It's fine to say "don't watch when it's boring", when the product is built around "it's live, watch it now, anything could happen at any time".

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Oh Ruby's been great. 6 months in the slow build to getting fingered by Angelo Parker

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I said I got my All In blu ray two weeks ago but then the discussion thread got closed for the week, I never got to enjoy the fantastic bit you were going to do about this.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Tony Khan fired Jackie Jormp Jomp and I don't know how to accept this

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

This is the show that convinced me to cancel my Fite subscription and just watch highlights on Youtube. The company is bursting at the seams with talent but pumping out hours of live TV every week is spreading everything so thin. I nearly cringed out of my skin when I realised Copeland was going to do his rah-rah speech to a single row of fans on the hardcam side and, when the microphone actually did work, his voice was reverberating around a lot of bare concrete.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Oh I'm sure the arrogant duplicicitous hypocritial heels (that's wrestling for bad guys) are going to make good on their extraordinary promise.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I’m not into wrestling because I watched my first show and didn’t know who anyone was

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

AEW derailed almost 20 minutes of precious tv time because Punk basically told the truth slightly embellished when asked by Ariel Helwani and Triple H took a veiled shot at Ospreay (probably) on the Pat McAfee show. That's not like a great sign for these guys.
The fed spent 20 minutes of WM advertising rear end wipes

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

HHH comeback of the century where his wife/heart/NXT left him and only through Vince's self destruction (despite everyone else trying to cover for him) has the cerebreal assassin found himself back on top*

*essentially the commissioner

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

RBX posted:

I forgot they used to tweet that Obama slander with Jericho
A good democrat would punch anyone dressed as Obama for halloween because that is disrespectful to Obama by saying he is a scary man.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Moné is this insistence on her prescence or star power that isn't so self evident as she's being completely lapped in promos by Billy Backflips. I don't like the big pedestal treatment for stars - Punk was exceptional but even in the earliest honeymoon period it was boring to hear Cult of Personality loop 3 times at the start of every episode.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

MJeff posted:

Seriously. Just google the movie. That movie is the story they're doing.
Brother, I haven't even seen Rocky III

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

MJF could do well to just make lots of amusing asides, and chatter like Kevin Owens, but when he was gunning for the ace position every promo had to be a three course meal.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

When the dynamites/collisions/PPVs aren't really good at setting up matches to new comers or build new audiences, even though I see the video packages and promos

I was wondering if this mistake was just a me problem with AEW. I know *OF* Willow Nightingale but I don't know really WHY that match. And no matter how much I try and watch YouTube to catch up. It's only half knowledge.
The kayfabe is that wrestling is a sport and people are going to be having wrestling matches as a baseline. You can then express character and events based on that framework, but you don't necessarily have to have an existential crisis going on to have the actual match itself (a midcard title match) be entertaining and the participants be appealing.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Haven't watched dynamite yet but I've just been idly thinking about current shows where we have Moné obviously not being cleared from an ankle injury 11 months later, Adam Cole reportedly nowhere near ready after 7 months, but CM Punk came back from a "shattered foot" in 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

We used to have a thing about not using WWE's prejudices as an excuse for people to just jump ahead and make "satirical predictions" but I guess this is fine now.