Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
in fact, i just beat several video games, and this is a thread for talking about the video game(s) you just beat.

is there a greater accomplishment than this? no, there isn't, and we should celebrate each and every one of the games you have decimated with your gamer skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4I-RJvP6mY

(lunacid ) (steam deck)

a really wonderful king's field-like. it's surprisingly short, maybe 10-12 hours, and it's one of those that easily could have been so much less than it is. it's not very difficult, and the combat and gameplay are pretty simple, but the combination of immaculate vibes, locations, limited saves, bopping music, and sense of mystery really come together to make it a fun and interesting game. it's the kind of game that has a lot of identical corridors but somehow you don't mind while playing. areas which seem incredibly difficult at first gradually open up, once you find suitable weapons and spells for them. the secrets feel significant. big recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3taEuVwhhM

night at the gates of hell (steam deck)

weird game, but very fun to play. a first person survival horror zombie game with incredibly tasteless but funny writing. relatively short, at about 3 or so hours, and janky as hell, but both scary and memorable. the story really goes places and the game made me laugh a lot in between spooking me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJtwXtMq1U

calcium contract (pc)

my favourite FPS this year. another short one, clocking in at around 3-4 hours, but with incredibly fun and intense gameplay. it's a really pared down FPS, with a load of interesting mechanics like always resetting your weapons when starting a level, a time rewind mechanic for when you die, enemies that support each other and debilitate you, a really huge roster of things to fight, a weird story about you being a grim reaper given a contract (the titular calcium contract) to go fight this giant chicken snake who's messing up the natural order of things.

i recently played through turbokill which was four times as long but equally as intense and it was so much worse for it. it goes on for a way too long. calcium contract really leaves you wanting more.

dark souls 2 (for the 4th or 5th time, can't remember) (steam deck)

this game rocks and i'll play it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

drkeiscool posted:

i just wanted to say congrats for beating all your games

thank you, however, there are even more games. i have a three tiered backlog system because gaming in 2023 is too blessed and my cup runneth over

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i also enjoyed reading what games everyone beat :)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

roomtone posted:

played a bunch of this, haven't completed but i still might it was only 2 weeks ago i drifted off for other games.

it's good, it's got a great atmosphere and constantly has this feeling of mystery about it because the levels are actually filled with secrets that aren't TOO hard to find but hard enough, plus it doesn't explain anything much upfront and the logic of the world makes no sense

the only thing is, it's so easy once you get magic and a ranged weapon that it is basically a walking simulator and the levels are gargantuan not in complexity but in square metres. it reminds me of late 90's/early 2000's games in a bad way before they figured out the sense of scale. bringing back this 'this hallway is about 20 times bigger than it needs to be' feeling is definitely intentional, but i think it is one of the things you don't bring back because it's just kinda boring.

but yeah, where i left it was deep in the terminus prison which was the coolest looking level so far and the castle before that was great, along with the accursed tomb. definitely a good game worth a few bucks.

it definitely gets away with some stuff i would hate in other games because of Vibes. i think the exploration of the world is strong enough that i don't mind the level design being deliberately obtuse and i even think it adds to the overall feeling i have playing the game. though, as i only learned in the last 30 mins of the game, there's an option to have a compass lol

i deliberately only used melee because ranged and magic seemed ridiculously op (the fromsoft special) and that was in fact the case.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat orbo's odyssey and it's a blast-off 3D platformer for speed freaks with a vaguely disconcerting story about being trapped in your boss's office and some, uhh, odd elements (the main bad guys are cardboard cutouts of vampires that never move).

it's like 90-120 minutes long, with incredible speed and feel to the platforming, and enough juice to the levels and narrative to make you want to see what's around the next corner.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat doom (1993) episode 6: sigil 2 after recently beating doom (1993) episode 5: sigil on the steam deck and two things struck me.

one, the OLED screen really makes it pop. it looks incredible.

the second thing that struck me was the innumerable shower of hot lead and burning plasma. i've not struggled like this with a game in a while. it's pretty hard and playing on a controller doesn't help.

but the level design was really remarkable in both episodes. i'm a noob with doom .wads but i was taken aback about every two minutes with how this 30 year old game felt, played, and looked. amazing.

A+, strongly recommend both episodes.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat some games recently

pentiment - great game, the third act just slightly fumbles the marbles but not enough to really leave a stain on what is a tremendously good experience.

doom 2 - this game is really good but that middle chunk of city levels can suck my rear end. what the gently caress was up with that level with the big fortress in the middle? that felt like someone had accidentally stuck one of nocturne's identical corridor teleport mazes in a doom game. also the icon of sin sucks. doom 64 still has the only good final boss.

producer 2021 - this game rocks. you really can't go wrong with these surreal, short, cheap text games. this one is about a guy who is woken up by a phone call (he doesn't have a phone) telling him he's been hired as the new producer (he has no experience) so he instantly leaps out of his window and slides down a pile of compost to his car (he's forgotten his car keys).

olli olli - still undefeated as the premier high octane high speed precision platformer arcade scoring game . . . on a skateboard

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

credburn posted:

13 Sentinels is the one that has those "kids gotta be naked to use the machines, no other way to do it" situations, right?

free the world with a caged dong? don't think so pal

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I just beat Doom 64.
I am proud, but also ashamed to say that it was the very first Doom game I ever completed without using cheats.

i really liked D64 - it was the inverse of the others in that it starts kinda weak and gets better and better. also the last boss is a mad sprint.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat resident evil 8. funniest game i've played in a long time. the action is pretty good and it's a pretty and cinematic game but honestly the comedy is what carries it. ethan is funny as hell. i wish they never explained why he can get ground into paste and be fine two seconds later. i don't need wile e coyote's backstory and i don't need ethan's. i just want to laugh at him going 'what the hell is going oooooon' while he slips and trips and gets owned by everyone.

i also beat shiren 6 (at least the story dungeon, but the game tells you explicitly 'the real adventure starts here' once you do). excellent game. very excited to delve into the post-game. if you are at all interested in turn-based roguelikes, play this game. if you are interested in games with mechanically deep and wide systems that interact internally in approx. ten million ways, play this game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

abraham linksys posted:

A week ago or so now I beat Felvidek, a really weird little game. A short RPG that looks like nothing else I've ever played:

It's, I guess, kind of like a PS1 JRPG? Prerendered backgrounds, a few lo-fi prerendered cutscenes. Very short, ended up being about 4 and a half hours. Does have a number of different choices you can make and some side quests you can do, though I'm not sure which if any have significant story impact.

I'm just going to quote the Steam page for the story, since I'm not sure I could really explain it any better:

Now, I don't know anything about Slovakia or its history, but I found it compelling! It has a pretty bad translation, but it usually stays on the side of charming instead of annoying.

The combat was pretty fun. You could fit all of the different items and skills in this game on a business card, but it ends up feeling surprisingly deep when packed into four hours. By the time you reach the final boss, you do feel like you've got a mastery of the systems, as limited as they are, and I think that's pretty impressive in a game this short - normally RPGs need hours and hours to really build up to that feeling.

Also, the soundtrack is hard as hell. Listen to this menu music: https://holycrab.bandcamp.com/track/felvid-k

Now there's a massive caveat I'm gonna stick on this game. There's a Jewish character in it, who is named "the Jew," and is clearly supposed to be "othered" by everyone else who are medieval Christians. He's not treated badly or anything, but he's never given an actual name, and the game has a couple weird lines that are, in the absolute best read, South Park edgelord jokes. I don't really think this game's author is trying to be particularly antisemitic because I'd expect the character to be way more problematic if so, but I do think they try to make a Goof out of medieval attitudes to Judaism that they absolutely shouldn't have. There's a similar character named "the Turk," so for better or worse it's not limited to one minority, but I think it is fair to say that it Feels Bad. I'd like to think the joke here is "hah, look at these backwards, antiquated attitudes" (especially given the player character is acknowledged to be a lovely person), but it just doesn't do enough to land like that. It sucks because without this issue this would be a glowing recommendation, and instead it's like a "I dunno maybe see if they do a translation/editing patch that also cleans up whatever the hell they were going for here." Just really loving weird.

felvidek owned. really fun game.

i think 'the jew' is definitely a case of no good english translation being available and a complete lack of cultural context, with no real solution. 'jew' is a very loaded term in english, by itself, in a way that isn't the case in other languages (at least the ones i speak). 'the jew', as a character archetype in a story, is obviously racist. but it's also a very common cultural trope, and i think the game deliberates subverts it given that the guy gets hosed with by a bunch of people, as he's vulnerable due to being ostracized from the community, and you end up murdering every one of them. he's integral to your quest because of his genius for invention. towards the end of the game there's a character that tries to tempt you with the power to make slovakia a world power at the expense of turks and other ethnic and religious enemies and your character tells him to stfu and put his dukes up, it's time to fight. i think there's an even more incisive point the game makes regarding this after that but that's a big old spoiler for one of the best moments in the game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat a couple short and sweet lil games recently

children of the sun - good, and very cool, but ultimately i think the incredible premise is a little bit wasted on what ends up being a lot of trial and error gameplay. i think the game could have done many more cool things with it. and the story was, idk, what the gently caress happened? who cares? zzz

it's good but the kind of game that's like a 7/10 but with a 12/10 premise. zooming around as a sniper's bullet is, in fact, cooler than hell.

yellow taxi goes vroom - very good. i really liked the way the taxi controlled and the way you're constantly trying to exploit the geometry of the level to make these massive jumps into a brake backflip to try and reach lots of seemingly unreachable areas. i thought the levels were generally really fun and the dev clearly knows how to pack a million collectibles into every corner of the map, with every ramp or stairs or hill leading to something. the levels were also really cool - the city levels in particular were a standout for me.

furi - really good up until the very last twist which kinda makes the plot boring in retrospect. i wish they would have never explained anything and just kept it weird and vague and abstract. we don't need to know.

the gameplay is super fun though, it's a bullet hell/character action/boss rush game and imo the game really nails the flavour and design of the bosses. there's a couple of weird things like the i-frames of the dash not being instant but that just means you need to play a bit more deliberately. a lot of the bosses are hard but you get several retries per boss phase, and you restock retries when you beat a phase, so i managed to first try a few of them once i got the mechanics under my belt. some of the other ones took a lot more tries, including the very last boss who is ridiculous. nice game. fun way to spend a lazy holiday afternoon.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat the case of the golden idol. newsflash!!! it's really good. i thought it was gonna be a series of unrelated murders, not a series of related mysteries centred on a few characters which gradually built up a really cool and interesting story.

i especially liked the bits where characters in the game are lying and you, as the observer, need to deduce the lies. from when you (don't read these spoilers if you're ever going to play the game, you will regret it) find the letter saying edmund got killed in the cabin, and you know he didn't but you go huh, weird, and put it to one side until it suddenly blasts its way into your consciousness as four different pennies drop in your brain and you realise how obvious it was.

the only thing i didn't like, aside from some weird language and syntax/grammar issues with the solutions, was the last case where peter won a cannon in a bet, and put it in his house lol, and used it to blast that guy. maybe his wife told him that guy was coming but it still stretched credulity, although i appreciated the dramatic irony of this loser idiot killing him. that was the only thing i didn't buy in the whole game.

probably going to pick up the DLCs which i assume are also really good.

also it looks loving amazing on the OLED deck.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i did, and i think the DLCs are still on sale so will buy them now :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sardonik posted:

I loved golden idol but I was far too dumb to even attempt the final few chapters. I also managed to miss the alluded penny drop moment somehow. Still, a lot of quality there to be sure but man does it go hard.

i got stumped on one thing in the entire game and had to look it up the key in the poison case and i never would have gotten it in a hundred thousand years lmao.

the other difficult stuff i would just kind of circle like a vulture, gradually picking off the easy words and sometimes needing some trial and error, or trying to work out by the grammar what kind of things would fit. would the penny ever have dropped if not for the fact that in the last case, the words 'lost' and 'years' appear next to each other in the thinking panel, as blue words, with very few other blue words in that case? no way.