Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

stepping on the brake did not disengage the engine/transmission/etc like it is supposed to

Uhhhh what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

That was a supposed route for tick tock clock that nobody has been able to replicate.

I thought the vote thing was america but I could be wrong. I do remember watching a video on it though, there was also an example of bit flips on a plane which is terrifying.

The problem is all these motherfucking bit flips on this motherfucking plane

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Lutha Mahtin posted:

they designed their software so badly that a cosmic ray could flip a single bit in the control computers and make the car go nuts mechanically

one of the wildest details from this scandal is that toyota's software had over 10,000 unprotected global variables, meaning that any part of the software could overwrite the data from another part of the software. and this seems to be how many of the deaths connected to toyotas back then happened: the car software got into an incorrect state that made it so that stepping on the brake did not disengage the engine/transmission/etc like it is supposed to

lmao

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

stepping on the brake did not disengage the engine/transmission/etc like it is supposed to

gently pressing the brake pedal and your driveshaft severs in two, the drivers behind you blinded by the shower of sparks flying from under your car as it drags across the asphalt while you coast on the interstate from 75mph. "Hmm yes, brakes working as intended" screams Lutha Mahtin to the panicked passengers, trying to be heard over the scraping sounds

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im getting the impression thats not how brakes work

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thems the brakes :shrug:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The brakes would have stopped that car even if the gas pedal was pressed down or a throttle got stuck wich is not a thing that happens to Bentleys. I'm guessing driver suffered a stroke or something and floored it.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
I wanna know more about this revolutionary new brake system

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Listen, they're called BREAKS.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

The brakes would have stopped that car even if the gas pedal was pressed down or a throttle got stuck wich is not a thing that happens to Bentleys. I'm guessing driver suffered a stroke or something and floored it.

Im guessing the driver was getting an epic suck from his passenger and he busted exactly at the moment of combustion

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
combusting a nut

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
A couple of people were having trouble finding that farm in upstate New York, so they decided to follow some other clues they found about their childhood dog's whereabouts. They succeeded in finding their beloved Scoots.

Edna Clyne-Rekhy posted:

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

This is in very poor taste. But also, they died when they headed to the Rainbow Bridge, and that poem has been shoved in pet cremation ash bags for decades.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

LaserPrinter69 posted:

gently pressing the brake pedal and your driveshaft severs in two, the drivers behind you blinded by the shower of sparks flying from under your car as it drags across the asphalt while you coast on the interstate from 75mph. "Hmm yes, brakes working as intended" screams Lutha Mahtin to the panicked passengers, trying to be heard over the scraping sounds

I think Lutha Mahtin may have misspoken, or possibly you're doing the goon thing of interpreting what they said in the most unfavourable way you can in order to be able to clown on them. did you read the article they linked? the article itself links to a set of slides prepared by one of the experts who testified for the plaintiffs. (I don't actually expect people in GBS to read not only linked articles, but also documents linked from those articles - that would clearly be unreasonable - I took an interest because I was nerding out)

here's a relevant part of the slides that LM may have been trying to paraphrase (slide 45, talking about actions that could have been taken by a backup system on the car responsible for monitoring and correcting the behaviour of the main one):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
if I understand correctly, in the model of toyota discussed, there wasn't a direct mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the uh, engine parts that the accelerator pedal is intended to control. rather, the accelerator pedal is connected to a computer and the computer decides what signals to send to mechanical parts that in less computerised cars (like my old rear end Ford) might be connected directly to the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal might be directly mechanically connected to the brakes but it also is connected to the computer so the computer knows (or should know) if the user is pressing it. Since the computer knows (or should know) the state of both pedals and is in complete control of the engine, it should be able to respond to the user standing on the brakes by stopping the engine as quickly as it can without blowing up or whatever you said. regardless of whether the gas pedal is down

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Hammerite posted:

if I understand correctly, in the model of toyota discussed, there wasn't a direct mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the uh, engine parts that the accelerator pedal is intended to control. rather, the accelerator pedal is connected to a computer and the computer decides what signals to send to mechanical parts that in less computerised cars (like my old rear end Ford) might be connected directly to the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal might be directly mechanically connected to the brakes but it also is connected to the computer so the computer knows (or should know) if the user is pressing it. Since the computer knows (or should know) the state of both pedals and is in complete control of the engine, it should be able to respond to the user standing on the brakes by stopping the engine as quickly as it can without blowing up or whatever you said. regardless of whether the gas pedal is down

You're right. Traditionally, the accelerator pedal was connected mechanically to the throttle with a cable. On some newer cars the gas pedal has a potentiometer or something and feeds an electrical signal to the cars computer. The computer sends out a signal to turn the throttle based on this. I think if you go into the OBDIi you can actually see the accelerator input as a numeric value. Its like a gas pedal on a racing game.

A driver should never be pressing the accelerator and brake at the same time, so it makes sense to have a program to set the throttle output to 0 if the computer detects both the accelerator and brake pedals being pressed at the same time. Toyota's code was absolute spaghetti however so its quite possible there was some rare bug that set the throttle at maximum and ignored the program meant to stop it. This matches what people reported where the car kept going even with them pressing the brake.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Pekinduck posted:

A driver should never be pressing the accelerator and brake at the same time,

As both a telehandler operator and someone who likes to put a small amount of load on an engine before moving from a dead stop for a more uniform and controllable acceleration depending on the power of said vehicle, I have to stop you right there, pal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

XYZAB posted:

As both a telehandler operator and someone who likes to put a small amount of load on an engine before moving from a dead stop for a more uniform and controllable acceleration depending on the power of said vehicle, I have to stop you right there, pal.

Braking while controlling the accelerator is also a great way to balance a car for various high-performance driving situations like slaloms on an autocross!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're not using all 3 pedals at the same time you're not getting your money's worth.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

granny-shifting and not double-clutching, smdh

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:rip:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

XYZAB posted:

Ah fair enough, maybe the program only triggers if you press down hard?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

He was as God made him, sir

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
This is actual live video of me in traffic as I write this post.

Edit: How the gently caress do we not have inline instagram videos yet?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 27, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

it's pretty sweet that I can clutch or just outright force my car into neutral if the accelerator ever gets stuck instead of having to turn a dial next to the AC that a computer locks out of gear changes while the car is in motion

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

it's pretty sweet that I can clutch or just outright force my car into neutral if the accelerator ever gets stuck instead of having to turn a dial next to the AC that a computer locks out of gear changes while the car is in motion

IIRC of all the Toyota acceleration crashes none were in a manual car, probably for this reason. Those volume-knob auto shifters really sketch me out too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Pekinduck posted:

IIRC of all the Toyota acceleration crashes none were in a manual car, probably for this reason. Those volume-knob auto shifters really sketch me out too.

I remember when it happened, I was just like "why didn't they just shift the column to neutral," because they still had linear automatic shifter columns back then.

then I remembered, I learned to drive on an automatic and haven't ever gone back since my second car was a manual; but I never really knew what the N was actually for on the automatic column before I learned to drive manual. It's just some thing that's there between D and P for most people driving an automatic transmission in an appliance car, not "N completely mechanically disconnects the drivetrain from the engine." At least, it did back then.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Clearly the driver tried to go for the brake pedal but hit the break pedal by mistake??

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

XYZAB posted:

As [...] someone who likes to put a small amount of load on an engine

Please stop hornyposting

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.
You don't have to worry about terminator cars spontaneously combusting or suddenly veering into a brick wall and instantly turning you into jelly if you travel by using a bicycle or maybe just walk :smug:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MrQwerty posted:

It's just some thing that's there between D and P for most people driving an automatic transmission in an appliance car,

Where do you put the R?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Where do you put the R?

lmao idk I haven't driven an automatic outside a 2010s Subaru SMG or dash tree when I had to rent a uhaul in like 20 years, I don't even remember what that shift pattern looks like. R is at the very back isn't it?

edit: just looked up the 84 toyota truck shifter I learned on and its P R N D 2 L with an overdrive button, poo poo. It's been so drat long.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 27, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, it used to not be standardized, but then sometime in (probably?) the early 60s it went from whatever the gently caress the manufacturer wanted to PRND........L

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, it used to not be standardized, but then sometime in (probably?) the early 60s it went from whatever the gently caress the manufacturer wanted to PRND........L

my shift pattern has been 1-4, 1-5, or 1-6 in a H-pattern with varying methods to get to reverse for 20 years so I'm completely out of touch with automatic transmissions to the point where I don't even remember what the standardized pattern I learned on looks like, ain't that a bitch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Flashing back to some 80's SAAB and I was like WTF is going on down there???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

redshirt posted:

Flashing back to some 80's SAAB and I was like WTF is going on down there???

Saab was all about doing things the oddest way possible and I love them for it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

XYZAB posted:

This is actual live video of me in traffic as I write this post.

Edit: How the gently caress do we not have inline instagram videos yet?

Who the gently caress ties their laces like that? I feel sick get help

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Outrail posted:

Who the gently caress ties their laces like that? I feel sick get help

I can feel the aglets constantly poking my leg from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MrQwerty posted:

on my motorcycle i just jump off when trouble brews

checkmate car drivers or "cagers" as i like to say