Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Swerve vs Lethal 4 7.84%
Hook/OC/Shibata vs ExJAS 1 1.96%
Rush vs Jay 31 60.78%
Anna vs Ruby vs Skye 2 3.92%
Mark vs Mox 13 25.49%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pretty decent episode, but the MJF stuff took me out for a bit. It just feels played out now and I was hoping we’d be closer to a devil reveal, but I doubt we get it before the PPV.

Jay/Rush was disappointing. I had such high hopes! I also really wanted Mark to beat Mox. I think it would’ve done good for Mark while also pissing Mox off so he goes nuts the rest of the tournament.

And Danhausen! I’m glad Tony paid his bail from selling those bootleg t-shirts. Still puzzled as to why they did a month of Halloween teases that led to nothing, but whatever.

The Ruby/Ang stuff is pretty cringey poo poo for me. If it were done with younger wrestlers maybe it’d be passable but these are grown rear end adults. Why are they acting like this? Why do they act like the only time they see each other is during a match or a promo? You probably stay in the same hotel every week. Just get it over with. Also, Ruby is not a very good actor so everything she does here seems forced while Ang is at least charismatic enough to make his end work even if the whole thing stinks overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God I hope they do something cool with these boys in Montreal. Happy to know Daddy Magic and I share confusion and aggravation with the Angelo stuff - “like he’s never seen a woman before!”

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/SilverNumber1/status/1727464205324845469?s=20

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

shiksa posted:

i really hope worlds end isnt a 1v1 w joe and mjf bc no way in the world joe is winning that and i would like mjf to no longer be champ asap. the courageous, battered babyface (who's still annoying and hack as gently caress but youre supposed to like it now) is getting accosted on all sides by dastardly heels and i want all of them to kick his rear end immediately

MJF wins so the winner of the C2, Swerve Strickland, can beat him at Revolution.

Or Joe wins and Swerve beats him. Whatever. Swerve champ in the first quarter of 2024, I don’t care how he gets there.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Most Power Alex posted:

The problem with Swerve winning the C2 is that he'll be a triple crown champion, so they wouldn't put him in the world title program until he drops that, as much as Swerve cleaning up the too many title situation by simply winning them all and unifying them would be awesome.

Wrestling needs a Quadruple Crown Champion, friend. He can gift the other belts to Cage, Nana, and the Gates of Agony.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Most Power Alex posted:

I think the triple crown as a belt could work based on the idea it is composed of titles from 3 companies and thus doesn't belong to any one company and can be challenged for by the locker room of any company.

This is what I’m hoping for as well, with the caveat that the Continental Title is only defended in the tournament each year. We really don’t need another men’s singles title.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pinwiz11 posted:

I love that I made my 1-6 predictions, and then proceeded to complete ignore them for the match-to-match picks. :allears:

Such is the way

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So stoked for this Montreal show. We’re in section 113 for Dynamite, decided to just do one show and not both since we have a little bit of a drive to get there.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn’t say it was good, I just said it was obvious that they weren’t about to screw everybody out of the advertised main event so that particular complaint is just a weird one to me.

It was obvious but it stunk. I think I said it in the GDT but it feels like a storyline that works better on TV than PPV, because people aren’t at home paying $60 or whatever to watch the weekly TV show. You know what’s going to happen, but when it’s so illogical as to replace the injured guy with an even more injured guy AND it’s your PPV main event it just feels so misguided.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Open Marriage Night posted:

I thought Adam Cole was actually going to wrestle Jay White. And when he won he, he’d refuse to give MJF the belt.

“You said don’t let THEM take your title away… you didn’t say don’t YOU take my title away, bay bay.”

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

This will obviously be very good, but don’t know why they’re taking this detour from Wheeler/Hook I thought we were getting on the Pape and then didn’t get at all.

I don’t think Yuta wins, but if he does then you can do Hook/Yuta title for title and either move the FTW belt for some reason or put a real belt on Hook and get him having some longer and more interesting matches in ROH for a bit.

Seems like they ran out of ideas in the past year or so, and it was probably more stress/annoying than fun anymore. Follows suit with Ethan and Sammy both dropping their regular vlogging, though I think Sammy ended up starting again after a while?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sandman McMahon posted:

I wonder what the AEW series finale will be like. Probably pretty cool.

Ted Turner wakes up and it was all a dream

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Barry Bluejeans posted:

matches for the match god

This kicks rear end but but I really wish Tony would get out of the lovely rhythm of booking a week in advance rather than a few hours. Makes the show feel so unimportant every week. Even if one or two matches is announced ahead of time, it makes everything else feel like an afterthought.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So excited for the return of the night, the one everyone will be talking about all week - Dante Martin.

Sincerely, though, I yelled “gently caress YEAH” when he popped into frame and I loved the simplicity of just saying “I’m back.” Next trios champs, let’s fuckin go. (even though I don’t like Andretti all that much)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’m glad we can stop pondering whether or not Punk is The Devil now and if WBD demanded he be hired back. That’s what I’m most thankful for this weekend.

Weird C2 matches on Collision again. I feel like Eddie and Garcia both should have won their first matches. Brody could have beaten Eddie later in the tournament or something. This just kind of makes Eddie look like a giant loser who bet on himself and lost immediately.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Eddie's at his best when fighting from underneath so I don't mind an opening loss for him, especially to a monster like Brody

Yeah, I don’t mind the loss to Brody in general I just always enjoy the story of a guy who runs himself ragged in a tournament, which I feel like could have worked for Eddie too. He’s at his strongest at the start and then takes losses toward the end when he’s weakened, until he finally pulls out a big unexpected win right at the end.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’ll also say that even when I may not be as excited about a particular match in the C2 or am disappointed by a finish, as soon as guys start cutting promos about the tournament I’m right back in.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

yea ok posted:

I wonder why the promos aren’t on TV. They’ve all been really good but they’re stuck on socmed. Harkens back to when the best out-of-ring Fed stuff was all Dot Com exclusives.

They were on Collision! They were wrapped up in video packages but there were promos in there, plus the ones at the top of the show. I’m guessing they’ll recut whatever else shows up on socials into short informative video packages like they did last night.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

yea ok posted:

My mistake. That’s good then. Apologies for my assumption.

My exclamation mark was just for my own excitement, not intended to seem like I was yelling at you. I overuse them, such is my curse.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

On The Internet posted:

I loved screaming for Big Bill and Edward at the show last night. Gravity survived way too long against House of Black. Kommander is rad, tho. I got to see Shibata :) but then he lost to Yutes :(.

I for sure thought Gravity died (on the way back to his home planet) after that weird tumble into a knee to the face in the corner.

Also feeling good about my prediction that we’ll get Hook/Yuta title vs title with Hook winning and spending some time in ROH for extra seasoning.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

Top Flight is back thats the only wrestling news that matters

For real, I’m so loving excited. I hope we get some insane spot fest in Montreal with those fellas.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i want top flight and action to win the trios titles and start defending them regularly

Give them the belts and then make all trios matches Lucha tag rules

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

I once had a english composition professor who told me that I should write roughly 5 exclamation points in my life.

Sounds like a real nerd!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If anyone needs the presale code for All In, I just got this in my email and as much as we want to go we just can’t plan a trip right now: AEWSOGSAVVTO

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Defenestrategy posted:

On the other hand this entire thing made me a believer in Maria Kanellis' Husband, Matt Taven, and Roderick Strong, whereas prior to that I only believed in Matt Taven with the other two melvins being very forgettable.

TIME TO NECK THE HALLS BABY

I laughed so hard at neck the halls, but they could be doing all of this outside of the orbit of the World Title and it’d be a lot better

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

blunt posted:

My 5 point plan to fix AEW:

* No more MJF title reign

* No more hidden cameras

* No more ROH acknowledgement or wrestlers or titles on AEW TV

* No more waiting until >24hrs before shows to announce matches

* No more titles

What do you mean when you say "hidden cameras"? In my head I think of the thing WWE does where everyone has to pretend the camera isn't there, which I don't think AEW does (or at least not regularly?). Unless I'm just completely forgetting some hidden camera storyline going on, which is completely possible.

I'd also be fine with one of two MJF outcomes: he can remain a babyface if he's not going to be the World Champ, or he can be the World Champ if they pivot him into an interesting heel again. I think the former is more possible, because with the latter you have to work up to a heel turn and I just really don't have interest in that right now. He's someone who would benefit from losing the belt and spending some time outside of the World Title picture to figure out what they want to do with his character long-term.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

blunt posted:

Sorry yeah I meant "invisible" cameras instead of "hidden" ones - basically I meant the hyper overproduced shenanigan videos like the MJF/Cole/Strong and LFI-In-Mexico videos that they've been doing recently.

Technically they're not even invisible, like at the start of the trampoline park one Cole acknowledged the camera, but then there's slow motion closeups of kids getting smashed with dodgeballs so 🤷‍♂️.

I probably should have put "go back to sports-based presentation" instead, but those terms feel equally as loaded.

Yeah rankings were great, bring them back :agreed:

Ahh gotcha. That stuff doesn't bother me as much when it's completely separate from the rest of the stuff happening on the show and nobody has to pretend the camera isn't there. The LFI stuff was cheesy but whatever, it's fun and doing vignettes like that for a debut/return used to be somewhat normal in wrestling. If the invisible camera stuff extends into the show and we have to pretend nobody saw something happen or nobody went back and watched the show later, that's when it bugs me.

Agreed on rankings, though. I liked rankings and thought they were an easy way to provide challengers for titles and tell an easy story of someone visibly climbing in the rankings to earn a shot.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

KungFu Grip posted:

if they actually knew how to use the rankings consistently for booking reasons instead of using them conveniently and counting Dark wins and losses whenever they felt like it people would have had too many issues with it

Well now that there's no Dark they should be perfect!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Drakkel posted:

Honestly AEW just does way too much WWE poo poo now and some of it I can stomach cause the wrestling is good but that's pretty much all it has now and it honestly just makes me depressed watching it at this point cause it feels like it's in a death spiral and if it does go away that's basically me done watching wrestling ever again.

I don't think AEW is in anything close to a death spiral, but if it dies I'll just end up watching New Japan, Stardom, and whatever is on IWTV every week. That was my rotation pre-AEW, but I fell off all of it over the years – not all because of AEW, but having easy-to-access and great wrestling every week definitely helped.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nea posted:

if keith lee didn't get covid he would be AEW champion right now.

I’m intrigued by this new Keith Lee story they’re starting to spin. I’m glad he’s about to settle into something because during the match I was definitely thinking “it’s nice to see Keith, but it sucks he hasn’t been in a real storyline in a while”.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sandman McMahon posted:

Wwe is the hottest it’s been since the Monday night wars? That can’t be right

They get 10,000 for TV every week and everyone is making a lot of money. Seems accurate, even if the actual content sucks by most of our standards.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

They don't get 10,000 for TV every week and the TKO merger tanked the stock price and it has yet to recover.

Sorry, maybe not every week – but Smackdown seems to do close to 10,000 fairly often. I find it interesting that Smackdown looks to do higher attendance than Raw (going by a quick search of WrestleTix on twitter) considering how clear they tried to make it that Raw was the A-Show for so many years.

I don't watch WWE and don't care about them as a company, but from an outsider's perspective it seems like fans of the show are into what they're doing and that the product is hot from a fan perspective.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

AEW filed a trademark for "East West Express" so expect Jordan Oliver to show up soon to back up Nick Wayne in the Patriarchy.

gently caress yeah, that’d rule. I grew tired of Oliver for a while but the team with Nick really turned things around for me.

Unrelated, will AEW license “It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” by REM for the PPV?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

drat, he stood up for AEW and walked right out the door

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The_Rob posted:

I mean I like QT but he was always a Cody hire and he Def ran his course imo.

I don’t know what he does backstage exactly don’t know if he’s run his course in all aspects but it would make sense if he and the Nightmare Factory become an official feeder for NXT/WWE.

I wonder if Arn or Dustin will head back that way down the road.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Apparently Punk’s promo on Raw was very bad, so maybe everyone in AEW who thought him showing up in WWE made them look bad will feel better now.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Guillermus posted:

I don't know but I still like AEW. it's not perfect but I keep watching good matches and has a roster that I like. For me the best 4 straight years of wrestling ever. No nostalgia glasses etc.

Call me crazy

This is where I'm at. I'm not as excited about every show or PPV as I was a year or two ago. I'm not sure if that's because the stories aren't as interesting to me anymore or what, but I know I'm always going to enjoy the wrestling. I do honestly think the cloud of MJF/Cole stuff hangs over me a bit. Hangman/Swerve was the thing I was most looking forward to at Full Gear, and if that was the main event for the World Title? I'd have been counting down the seconds until the PPV started.

I think they rightfully capitalized on babyface MJF stuff at the right time, whether that was the original plan or not. I think that has since run its course. He's showing more of his old heelish tendencies lately – not like any of them really went away, mind you, but telling Joe he wasn't going to give him a shot he promised him feels different than the blatant cheating he always does.

I'd love to see the World Title picture get a shake-up for starters, and then for things to kind of materialize more clearly for guys like Hobbs and Takeshita who have been in the Jericho orbit that fights so hard to hang onto people. Though I guess Jericho has this arm injury now which I'm not sure is real or storyline, but his elbow definitely got hosed up visually at some point at the PPV. Maybe with the tag title shot hanging in the balance, Kenny & Jericho can finally move away from the Callis stuff completely.

All of this to say, even when the stories are stupid and I'm annoyed by them there's at least an 85% chance that the matches will be cool and good.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rotinaj posted:

I would personally be quite annoyed if they couldn’t figure out a way to loving end the storyline and have a final match

Mostly otherwise agreedo, though

They just had a huge Like A Dragon Street Fight, let that be the end of it. Hobbs slammed Tall Paul. Ibushi rode a bike. What more could you ask for?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sisal Two-Step posted:

did Ibushi hit someone with the bike?

Even better, someone hit the bike with Ibushi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lid posted:

Keith Lee and Lamce Archer hoss tag team run

Hey, maybe that’s who Keith was referring to in his Collision promo. Didn’t they already have some small interaction in AEW in the last year or so?