Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I buy bags of the local store brand beans and hand grind them to use in an aeropress. It takes like five minutes to make a cup of coffee but I value the little ritual of making a cup as much as the coffee itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My wife doesnt enjoy grinding beans and uses Cafe Bustelo, which is also good, and froths up some milk with a pump of vanilla syrup and a dusting of cinnamon for her coffee. I just drink mine black

E: Smarxist get a can of Cafe Bustelo. Its inexpensive but pretty good instant coffee, no tools required to prepare, and if you hate it you're out like five bucks

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Nov 25, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I get Market Basket store brand at like $8 for a pound. I rarely use the full pound before it starts tasting noticeably stale though. Its better than the other grocery store options like Peets or Vermont Coffee Company, and I don't know how much I care about sourcing coffee elsewhere

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stimulants often do not have the intended effect on someone with ADHD. If you love drinking big pots of black coffee and taking a nap afterwards its probably extremely normal and unrelated to the first sentence.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I used to have a keurig and ended up getting rid of it due to a combination of rising prices and feeling bad about the plastic waste. It did make decent coffee on demand though

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

woke operator posted:

you threw it away because they stopped advertising on hannity

I support freedom of speech

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

I tried Sanka once. Did you know that Sankas is an anagram of Kansas? That's also how it tasted.

Get Cafe Bustelo. Its very good for instant coffee

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Les Os posted:

stupid question:

my friend told me that some coffee brands outsource their stuff to other coffee companies then slap their label on it. I know booze does this too (bottled in vs. distilled in). what’s the point of this? why not just invest in making coffee or booze better than whoever you’re paying to make coffee for you. I get it from the side of the manufacturer: you got the means of production might as well get paid from multiple brands but what do the brands get out of it. something like coffee roasting or distilling booze can be done for cheap in someone’s backyard

Capitalism doesnt sell products, it sells feelings about products.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

bustelo?

excellent taste

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIu_MjEHDA

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

but fr it's not worth it, just get an automatic burr. i could not tell the difference between hadn grnding for 50 minutes versus a button push

Hand grinding makes a soothing noise and rattling of automatic grinding tears at my brain

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

I had half a cup of Folgers on my desk from noon yesterday so just topped it up and it's instantly the perfect temperature

:mods:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

speng31b posted:

pretty late in the day for coffee. be safe

You cannot fathom my power. Coffee + nap is a regular thing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

i spent the last week at my in laws house drinking folgers drip, now im home and its back to the instant coffee

What kind of instant?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I started using my metal aeropress filter again this week to make my coffee a little more robust, but forgot to tell my wife about it. She accidently threw the metal filter in the trash when she went to make herself a cup this morning, thinking it was just a paper filter like we've had for months.

Do I dig through the trash to save the filter, or just accept paper filters and move on?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone ever just eat coffee beans straight?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao :coffeepal:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Karach posted:

Just order a moka pot online? They're pretty common. They make bad coffee quickly, and mediocre coffee slowly

Get a load of this guy

Time for coffee

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I find cleaning the burr mainly reduces the effort it takes to get a nice fine grind afterwards

How often do people wash their grinders? I disassemble mine and scrub it about once a month, which is about 30-40 cups.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Kirkland employees should form a union then!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I thought the point of cleaning your burr was to remove built up coffee oils? Not sure how canned air accomplishes this task

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

would anyone be offended if I have a second cup of coffee, on this cold Sunday morning?

Leave some for the rest of us!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The worst part about black coffee is waiting for it to cool enough to drink and hoping I don't forget about it entirely and it gets too cold

Watching a cup now, waiting for the right temperature

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

luv2shit posted:

coffee. poop. repeat

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Had some coffee, thinking about having another

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I made a mug of coffee to try and help me focus, but I was so sleepy I spilled half of it on me. Finished what was left but I'm still so sleepy

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Starbucks

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have a $10 off brand Javapresse manual coffee grinder that probably came off the same assembly line in China as the $40 version.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Dropped my mug. Coffee and bits of porcelain everywhere...

I dropped my favorite mug a few years ago and ended up supergluing it back together. Its a little wonky but it holds together and I still drink it from it to this day, although it got demoted to cold water cup because I worry hot coffee would weaken the glue over time

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

reminds me, i once had coffee from beans that were “aged” in old burbon casks and it was vile. grinding it stank like an old still, and it tasted about the same.

bourbon aged anything is a vile gimmick

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

good thing time doesn't exist

Its always time for coffee

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Measure with your heart. Its not like its possible for coffee to be too strong, just add a little water and have a second cup!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dark roasts make all kinds of promises about rich flavors that they never follow up on. Light roasts have a lot of flavor but tend to make my stomach a little sour if I have too much. Medium roasts are where its at for a nice cup of coffee that identifiably smells and tastes like what I expect coffee to be

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Milk and sugar in coffee is an abomination

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How do people keep their beans fresh? After about two weeks my beans are noticeably stale but I still have half the bag left and don't like being wasteful

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

hey buddy ever hear of a lid??

My coffee comes in foil lines bags with little outgassing seals and a built in tie. Theres nowhere to put a lid!

Next time my wife finishes up a can of Cafe Bustelo I'll use that for my beans and maybe toss a nice label on it

In the meantime, I'll just have to double my coffee consumption so I can use it up faster than my beans go stale

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the best coffee is the lil bit i leave in my cup over the weekend at my cubicle. hits just right on monday morning

:mods:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

dying while making GBS threads probably rules, imagine how free and light you'd feel just before it ended

Most poo poo related deaths are probably from straining too hard, so you'd die in great stress with your final bullet stuck in the chamber

This is why you gotta drink coffee to keep it regular. Gonna have some now I think

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hopefully smooth movements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Eat the beans whole