Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
whoever thinks theyve made the least practical coffee, i have you topped

(i actually dont use the vacpot for coffee usually, i drink espresso)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

if you view a vacpot as maximum science instead of maximum goofiness (since the actual maximum goofiness is a balance siphon) then the best way to make cold brew is under pressure in a whipping siphon. it only takes a few hours instead of overnight

i actually use a whipping siphon to pressure-infuse rum with coffee about once a month (the Cafe Touba recipe from Liquid Intelligence)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

sounds like aids

you strain it then milk wash it then mix it with sugar syrup with grains of selim (aka djaar (aka moor pepper (aka negro pepper)))

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Lpzie posted:

buying a 5 lb bag of espresso

i literally do this every over month. the coffee shop i get it from in chicago that picks and roasts their own beans started shipping their 5lb bags to anyone during COVID and its about a 40% discount. i vacseal it into a bunch of 12oz portions and it stays more than fresh enough by the time i open the last bag (yes they ship out beans that have been rested for two weeks already so i don't have to worry about outgassing)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

Nobody knows. Nice hot cup of coffee is always ideal whether it's a snowy winter morning or a 30+ day in summer. Cold coffee.... insanely fail

Woah it's Gale from Breaking Bad

gale would never use a denatured alcohol burner; he'd use an adjustable butane burner

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Les Os posted:

stupid question:

my friend told me that some coffee brands outsource their stuff to other coffee companies then slap their label on it. I know booze does this too (bottled in vs. distilled in). what’s the point of this? why not just invest in making coffee or booze better than whoever you’re paying to make coffee for you. I get it from the side of the manufacturer: you got the means of production might as well get paid from multiple brands but what do the brands get out of it. something like coffee roasting or distilling booze can be done for cheap in someone’s backyard

the brand adds more value than the production. why waste time and money on something as irrelevant as making the product? what next, you're going to suggest that Nike make shoes?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

the best liqueur to add to a latte or cappuccino is Tuaca. this is just an objective fact. you don’t need Bailey’s (there’s already dairy) you don’t need kahlua (there’s already coffee). brandy is the base liquor which complements coffee and Tuaca is brand-based. citrus and vanilla are both excellent flavors if you want to sweeten and boozen your coffee

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

it’s confusing because Americano also refers to an excellent alcoholic drink (Campari soda with vermouth)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

snack soul posted:

i’m a real bitch until i’ve had my coffee

—Mitch hedburg

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

shoes are bourgeois

i have to look up the spelling every single time

the short form should still be spelled “bourgie” too I will die on this hill

source: Gladys Knight and/or the Pips

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Zadok Allen posted:

It’s a beautiful thing.

mine was better

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

i feel the strong urge to punish anyone who says bigly... but i havent

it's far inferior as a presidential addition to the lexicon than misunderestimate

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I can have a coffee right before bed and it’s fine

but if I don’t fall asleep right away then I’m hosed

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

you can put espresso in martinis now. strange times.

just freestyle it. use vanilla vodka as a base, then add any number of liqueurs that complement coffee on their own. maybe add cream if no cream liqueur. add a small quantity perhaps of something that sticks out like benedictine or even allspice dram or balsam liqueur

or actually do a good one with dark rum. extra points for milk ice cubes

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAO7k8vkHtU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

ordered a 5 lbs bag of espresso blend before Christmas vacation and came back and it’s had two weeks to outgas and rest so I can put 12 oz into my jar and portion the rest into vacseal bags

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

just had a dirty chai latte with some of the trader joe's mix its p good

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

you put olive juice in your chai???

please, i prefer gibsons. onion brine

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

my three year old asked for JUST A DROP of my espresso and I called her bluff and poured her like 3mL into her own demitasse cup and she actually drank it and claimed to like it. I’m not proud or ashamed I’m mostly mad at myself for screwing up because now she constantly asks for a sip of my coffee and won’t accept that it’s not for kids

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Karach posted:

First of the day. Beans are getting a bit old, gotta grind finer.

i once aspired to get to a point where i could go bottomless and then i just gave up on life (by which i mean i gave up on bothering to put enough effort into dialing in)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

my instructions say not to get the burr wet so I just wash the plastic bits occasionally. Like, very occasionally since I don't keep beans in it but use only the amount needed each day

my new hack is to use canned air

(NB DO THIS poo poo OUTSIDE IT MAKES A HUGE MESS)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

I thought the point of cleaning your burr was to remove built up coffee oils? Not sure how canned air accomplishes this task

if it is i dont really see how a brush does it either though

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Les Os posted:

bad coffee is good coffee cause its coffee

there’s v distinctly good bad coffee and bad bad coffee

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Karach posted:

Coffee, black. Ground, not chopped

I'm sure there will always be people who want traditional things but you'd think in the Star Trek future instead of just replicating drip coffee we could like, have the replicator pick out the individual flavor compounds you want (and the specific amount of caffeine) and create an admixture of that and water de novo instead of actually using hot water to extract things imprecisely!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Food engineers today are making, uh, like, the craziest things you've ever seen. If I wanna eat a strawberry, they can put a piece of gum in my mouth, stick something in my nose and I can just chew on it and it tastes like I'm eating a strawberry from, like, a specific time and era because they know all the microbes and they know that the certain chemicals taste like mint and a little bit of, uh, you know, like a dozen different smells. So, you'd think after all this time things would've changed, and everything has changed. With all this crazy technology, I could cook anything. The customers only want to eat beet salads and pork buns.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Karach posted:

I would make the replicator produce that $20k Manument espresso maker and insist on taking 20 minutes to make an espresso myself. The replicator doesn't just produce food - it can also produce the feeling of nostalgia for 21st century bourgeois consumer experiences

in an actual post-scarcity utopia drudgery would be eliminated, but a lot of what we consider modern conveniences would be silly. why wouldnt i take my time doing things i enjoy in the most baroque and inefficient way?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

if i dont actually have to drive anywhere i dont want a car with a touchscreen or even just a turnkey ignition. i want one where i have to flip a bunch of switches and adjust a bunch of dials just to start it up. maybe even a crank start

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i bean wanting to try this stuff.

grains of paradise is a misnomer its actually grains of selim aka djaar aka moor pepper aka negro pepper

i wasnt able to find any in america i had to order some from senegal on etsy (for making the cafe touba-inspired coffee rum infusion drink from Liquid Intelligence)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

gotta milkwash that coffee-infused rum

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

smoobles posted:

what's the consensus on McDonalds coffee

imagine a machine as dirty as the ice maker but warm to promote the growth of bacteria. that’s mccafe baby

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

the worst coffee ive ever had was in the evening at a coworkers place, but it had been sitting the in the coffee pot lukewarm all day, and he poured some of it into a mug and microwaved it for me. he went by the name Hot Dogs and he was learning Lithuanian to connect with his roots so he would say things like "Labas, homie, what's up?" we got stoned and watched his fish. it was bad coffee

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

This grinder costs $110

It costs one hundred and ten dollars to grind these beans for thirty seconds.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

a primate posted:

yea the microplastics are why I refuse to get one

I already get those and aluminium from nespresso pods

good news! you dont have to worry so much about ingesting microplastics from food and beverage preparation because the vast majority of microplastics in your body are inhaled tire dust!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

thank u tommy lee jones

the Taiwanese Mr Brown is cheaper, and cheaper still the the Boss knockoff HELLO BOSS. the cans used to advertise 140 PPM COEEEINE

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

most of the "coconut rum poo poo" is really rum-based liqueur and not even simply coconut-flavored rum (though the latter does exist also ofc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

im allowed to post about alcohol in the coffee thread because im literally drinking a cappuccino with Tuaca in it right now