Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Chilly out innit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sounds like the torc from The Anome (they also travelled around by sort of zeppelins attached to rails but I digress)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anome

and didn't Battle Royale have something similar? I can't check because I gave the book away to a charity shop last year.

I wanna say it's how they forced the kids to fight each other and not try to escape instead.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm pretty sure the cucumber flavour thing is a person-to-person variation. Maybe genetic yeah, as someone upthread said, like the coreander=soap thing, or the brussels=bitter poison thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I did some roasted broccoli the other day. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, chuck in the oven until it's just starting to char the edges of the tree bits. Delicious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Sprouts have recently been rebred to lose the bitter taste and taste more like broccoli and kohlrabi and other green stem vegetables, so that may be them as well as you. Cabbage has also been spliced and isolated in the opposite direction to be less soggy, and be more a brassicaceae type tasty green food plant.

e: Fried kale is also good and in the same genus.

I still haven't met a sprout I could stand to eat. They taste like something I should instantly spit out, so bitter. But I will keep trying, maybe I'll find a magical sprout.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just seen a red kite circling around outside, gorgeous :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

They are an awesome bird. Where I'm from there are often dozens of them in the sky at any one time, and they swoop low over the houses, and they never get any less beautiful.

They've only been back in the area for a few years, spread here from the Chiltern re-introductions, and it's amazing to see every time. I can't really make out the markings but the shape is pretty distinctive, that forked tail. So beautiful in flight. I've gone all poetic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also it's flu season and a lot of these folk are old or physically weak, so it's a dangerous time of year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DiscoWitch posted:

Applied for my GRC today. What a loving nightmare.

Prove you are a woman by sending us your paper trails!!

All in all this has cost me £410 quid. £200 each for the 2 doctors letters, £5 for the statutory declaration and another fiver for the actual application.

loving hell mate.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fuctifino posted:

I'm sorry you had lovely relatives too. <hugs>

I'm rubber-banding a lot going from wanting to walk away from it all, and wanting to go in fighting, but I don't like the person I feel I start becoming when I focus about the money and the injustice of it all. Everything about my mum and brother is toxic, and I broke away from that family to feel less toxic, so I'm really debating if it's worth challenging any of it, or even turning up at the funeral.

Most of the estate is tied up in the house, and it will be a while before that can go to market let alone be sold so I have time to decide a path without emotions steering my decisions. She only died around 10 days or so. It might even be less than that. I didn't actually make a note to remember the day as it won't be a day I'll give two shits about with each yearly cycle. I've felt no actual mourning sensations, and probably don't expect to. I think I mourned her long ago.

But one thing that's worth publicly mentioning here, I've written a few times about a certain relative who worked undercover in NI in the 90's. gently caress protecting that war-criming murdering oval office, but it's my brother. He's issued at least one death threat -"I will loving kill you!" in my last phone call with him - which is pretty direct. So if I am suddenly murdered, Pete did it. He has experience stalking and killing civilians on UK soil, and yes, he would probably consider killing me if it would secure him an extra £12,500 cut as he's killed for a lot less when working for the govt. One of the few times I saw him in recent years, he crushed my windpipe at the family dinner table because I dared to criticise his raising of his son....

Mate can you not completely cut ties and never see these people again? You shouldn't be seeing someone who's hurt you and threatened you. Please be safe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Succession grates on my nerves because one of the characters shares my first name but uses a nickname for it I *really hate*.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Apraxin posted:

The change for skilled workers is getting the headlines, but they’re also jacking up the minimum income for family visas - i.e. what you need if you’ve married a dirty foreigner and have the temerity to think you deserve to live together - from £18.6k per year salary to £38.7k (that’s for spouse only, several thousand more per child if you have any, and it all has to be from the UK partner, none of this ‘joint income’ nonsense)

So I guess I’m extra-never coming home to look after my parents in their old age now :(

Yeah and 'bring my long-term boyfriend to the UK to live with me, where his salary could easily support us both' is an even more distant dream.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Can I just say THANK YOU :toot: to everyone who spoke out for reversing the probation and for the mods/admins who reversed it. I totally understand why a passing mod would see that out of context and act, so no hard feelings, but it was just my way of mourning. I'm a stay at home cripple with no actual real life local friends or support, so coming back on SA after having all of this going on was my way of getting a load of poo poo off my chest. It's the first actual public display of grief after ~10 days of chaos.

That meme of my mum was probably going a bit too far, but it sums up how I feel about her. She has pulled the literal rug from under my feet and I now have no secure future whatsoever. I'm still coming to terms with that part...

I will tone stuff down in the future, and I know how this must look to people who come from functional families and who have/had functional mothers who acted like actual mothers, and I'm sorry if my recent rantings have triggered bad memories or feelings in any of you.

I also haven't apologised for the vid of Gaza that got me that ban just over a month ago. I posted what I did out of anger, and I'm trying to learn to walk away from the keyboard when emotions run high like that. It's all a learning process. I apologise for whatever future mistakes I do in advance, and don't expect any special favours.... but I do appreciate this one.

I love you all!

<3

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ozark is my favourite of those Crime Dramas and it's not even close. Just fantastic from the start. Though deeply oppressive, every episode is a fifty-minute anxiety attack even if nothing seems to be happening.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bit on-the-nose

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

kecske posted:

isn't that just called 'landing'

lmao you got me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Microplastics posted:

I don't know how much my nursery pays but they must get at least the London living wage, 13.15 an hour. I can't imagine doing that kind of work for that wage. Unthinkable to me that it pays so low, when I'm getting 50k to sit on my rear end and poke a computer repeatedly until some numbers are good instead of bad

Must it? I work in pharmacy (as lots of folk know) and I get my company's London wage, which is 11.51 an hour. We're the lowest paid people in our entire village. Lmao.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Not only that, but wasn't it Boris that thought he might stand a chance of being the first person to be both PM and US President but then he accidently let his US citizenship lapse?

I doubt it was accidental, he probably didn't feel like paying taxes over there

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He's the husband of a typical middle-England complainer who probably writes to the Daily Mail

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

They don't even know who you are now Norman!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

No, but perhaps you’d like to reflect on how your touchy-feely, respect everyone’s feelings regardless of who they are and what they’ve done hippy bollocks has achieved absolutely nothing good in the last 13 years.

I know what you’re asking and why you’re asking it, OwlFancier, and as you’re one of the posters I actually like and don’t find utterly contemptible, that’s a fair enough request.

You're posting like a loving arsehole right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Whither the Banhammer? The Lord Owl feareth to wield it

I'm not a mod round these parts!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Augh. We're going to have to make The Decision about our little dog soon and I'm really going to miss her. She was my dad's closest companion for years when he was ill, and she's been glued to my mum's side ever since he died. Meanwhile my cat is 20 years old and shows no particular signs of going anywhere yet.

Whhyyyy don't they live for fifty years.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I get unaccountably annoyed when people can't tell rabbits and hares apart even though that's almost never going to actually matter.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye it was more a poo poo attempt to say that a fascist culture produces poo poo art

Conflating Jewishness with being Israeli is a bit poo poo though just to start.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Happy New Year friends.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

we talkin about Farscape?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Crais is my favourite. Spectacular character development and performance from start to end.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have missing teeth and broken teeth but no pain at the moment and a dentist who will see me if I need her so aesthetics aside I'm all right. Wish they'd let me just give up and do dentures though!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's important to remember too that evolution only selects out problems that stop you having offspring. If issues arise after you'd probably have had your kids, even if they are quite bad, debilitating, miserable issues, they won't necessarily get eliminated by natural selection.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Millie was a very good girl. Would have bitten a Tory any day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

killerwhat posted:

So sorry :( well done for making the decision, it’s so hard. She was clearly a good and adorable girl, a Good Dog

Thank you <3

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank you everyone <3<3

She was spectacular.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

What actually is the best case scenario for the GE? As far as I can tell the almost guaranteed outcome is Starmer winning by default, talking heads crowing about how this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn and represents a complete rejection of all but the weakest socdem centre-left stuff, then we're back in 1997 baby and nothing changes for at least another two decades or so. Inspiring stuff!

Still, it'll be funny to watch the tories completely poo poo the bed and lose hundreds of seats I guess. I'd also laugh very hard if Corbyn manages to hold onto his seat as an independent. Even better if Abbott etc do too. If they do you'd think it would prompt some reflection. It won't, but it would be funny.

I'm in an SNP ultra safe seat so I'm probably just going to throw a vote at the greens or maybe the TUSC or something even if it is just symbolic. Not bothering or spoiling the ballot seems wrong somehow, idk.

I've been playing an FMV game called Not For Broadcast recently which I thoroughly recommend for politics flavoured stupidity. It's completely ridiculous and over the top but you get to be a propaganda guy for some momentum-like group as they form a government, which is a nice bit of fantasy indulgence. It really shouldn't work but while the theatre kid energy coming off the whole thing is insane the actors are genuinely extremely good for the most part and parts of it had me belly laughing to an extent I never expected, and they pepper in some actually quite touching + nuanced bits as well. 10/10.

I fuckin love Not For Broadcast. Jeremy Donaldson's stares of disgusted disbelief at the slide of his country into authoritarianism is deeply relatable.

Also the party that takes control of the country at the start is a nasty, authoritarian notionally left-wing party which really confused some right-wingers who leapt into online discussions about the game to complain it was demonizing their politics. They saw oppressive, brutal behaviour and just assumed it was themselves.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Nah they're cool :commissar:

Well, for the first few episodes at least lol. I did like that you can get an ending that keeps the spirit of the party while dialling back on some of the more insane stuff

Agree! And that you can save him, if you cut away in time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tigey posted:

Yeah its great. I know Paul, the guy who played Jeremy the anchor. It was a right blast to film although lockdown made it very chaotic

apropos of nothing I know, but if you get a chance please tell Paul that he's one of my favourite actors based on his performance in that game, he was loving amazing in it, thank you

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

really? :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just wish the people who nick things from the pharmacy would take the box too and not just sneak the product out and leave the box on the shelf. Means we don't know to order a new one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah a sudden severe headache and asymmetry in the irises is not trivial and must be checked out by a medical professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm not 'allowed' to drive because I'm 'visually impaired' and it would be 'dangerous' to 'everyone else on the road'

it's health and safety gone mad