Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Think of all the horny theresa may cartoonists that AI have put out of a job.

They can retrain in cyber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

e: Pairs of prime numbers that differ from each other by 6 are called sexy primes.

Maths nerds need to get out more

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

There's never been a full on war between two nuclear armed powers, so logically mutually assured destruction must also work for solving interpersonal crime.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Onion rings are a salad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm now imagining a policy where your benefits are stopped if you don't eat a whole salad while a DWP agent watches you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

killerwhat posted:

The thing that ruins food for me is cum

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Who'd want to have sex with a luncheon voucher? Bunch of pervs.

unforgettable luncheon

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If I wanted to watch awful people being awful for about 40 hours I would watch Always Sunny, because at least that's a comedy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Depends how it's 'bad'

Bad as in aimed badly? Eh.

Bad as in substandard force? Meh.

Or bad as in gone off? :barf:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's only terrorism if the left does something or says a mean thing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently an inverted red triangle is now meant to mean you support hamas or something.

:rollyeyeballs:

i always new those negative numbers were up to no good

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nursery fees were mentioned earlier.

Funnily enough last week we had a sort of PTA meeting with our nursery, and given they'd just hiked fees almost 10% you can imagine what the main topic of conversation was. So we got answers.

And although some of the cost increase is down to food inflation (a nursery will get through a lot of food, it's not like the meals are small. growing toddlers eat almost adult portions) most of it is, if course, staff.

And it's incredibly competitive right now. Staff will move for a 10p/hour increase because it makes a difference. Nurseries are fighting over a limited supply. Staffing shortages can cause a huge headache because nurseries can't legally operate if the ratio moves past 8 kids to 1 staff member, so they fight hard and give competitive salaries and perks like training. Our nursery recruits directly via LinkedIn etc, but they can't fulfil their needs entirely by this, so they use a recruiting agent which can charge exorbitant fees. It all gets passed on to the customer.

It's hard to feel mad because nursery staff do an incredibly hard job - I wouldn't do it for 70k - but they're on retail wages. They probably deserve a pay lift.

Instead most parents and nurseries alike blame the goverment for just not subsidising it enough.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't know how much my nursery pays but they must get at least the London living wage, 13.15 an hour. I can't imagine doing that kind of work for that wage. Unthinkable to me that it pays so low, when I'm getting 50k to sit on my rear end and poke a computer repeatedly until some numbers are good instead of bad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
They haven't specified the exact wage but they have said that they meet the London living wage. They probably pay above it though given the staffing issues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
How much money is spent on the staff /offices processing asylum applications (and on legal fees fighting appeals)? I bet if they spent all the Rwanda/barge money on that we'd probably have cleared the entire backlog by now

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm hoping the Lords reject this bill and he's stuck crying about it until the election.

I hope he complains about Unelected Lords subverting the will of the people, while Cameron is just standing right there

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

God I miss the hope of the corbyn years so much. I really don't see a path to anything good in the near future. Keith wins by default next election and fucks around doing tory lite policies for the whole term. Tories take over again in 10 years or so. The cycle repeats. By then I'm getting on for 50. What the gently caress do we even have to look forward to as a country?

Hotter weather :sun:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Tempted to extract every Norman post now, to create a compendium of the complete works of the Norman universe

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It does seem awfully common (and uniquely British?) for men to end up married to women they hate. They just keep moaning about them down the pub. Like why did you bother getting married

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Noxville posted:

Did he get them confused for cyclists

From the 29er to the D-lock, road tax will be free

I refuse to put more effort into this joke.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Less awkward than the weird jeering noises that the press are embarrassing themselves with :nallears:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Since this is basically the Train Thread with some slight derails,

Sensible chuckle

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Trackside loafer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

That sure is a set of flags on her Twitter bio.

The blue and orange squares means she likes Terry's chocolate orange

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My pantograph is off the charts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Love a bit of hostile architecture.

But enough about your project

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

the longest of hanging fruit.

A banana?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

this country is bad

DON'T LIKE IT THERE'S THE DOOR

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

<nasal Tory voice> Yes, he makes all your money disappear!

😂😂😂😂😂

How do I share this to Facebook, the rowing club will love this!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ancient mesopotamian tablet complaining about someone taking a poo poo on-site.

I once dug up an ancient tablet that I thought was an empty quote but it turned out just to be a rock

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

When I needed to have my bumhole examined I actually felt worse about having the chaperone come in. Obviously it's a very good idea (Nobody ever called one in for Penis Inspection though?) but it definitely felt a bit like "Not totally sure I want more people around while you're putting a finger up my rear end, doc".

About 20 people were involved when I got a vibrator stuck. Sounds like you got lucky

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

A system familiar to all fans of Sonic the Hedgehog

Is that where the videogame tier list ranking system comes from?

It's not but I'm now going to insist that it is. S tier derives from English schooling grades. *bangs gavel*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Reveilled posted:

Well, it derives from Japanese schooling grades, and Japan's basically Britain but with cleaner streets. They're an island, they love tea, have a monarch, like to pretend their empire wasn't monstrously evil, are ostensibly a democracy but it's the same corrupt shitheads with indistinguishable ideologies every time, there's a shitload of nonces, etc. etc.

If only we had a train network to match theirs, eh?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

i prefer a wee korma

I prefer chicken

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

things i always pack for my holidays: my medals

"I served as an IK in the forum wars. This one is the Iron Banhammer I got for staying up all night and probating enemies. Some of them came back after 6 hours and starting posting at me again. I'll never forget the look in their bloodthirsty avatars as they quoted me again and again"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

PriorMarcus posted:

I wish I could cut her out entirely, but then I think about her by herself, with no real friends or means to see people easily, and it breaks my heart.

PriorMarcus posted:

but I feel obligated to see her by virtue of her being my mum.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm always somewhat worried, that despite everyone else agreeing with how I see her, that I'm overreacting or being overly sensitive to how she makes me feel, and I'll regret cutting her out with some distance.

I reckon you and my wife would have a lot to talk about, because I recognise a lot of what you say in what my wife has said, before she cut off her mum 10 years ago.

My wife has always had this fantasy that she could somehow reconcile with her mum, like in the movies. That her mum would have some change of heart, some revelation, even it's on her deathbed. Every story has a happy ending right? Especially if it's your story and you need it to have a happy ending. It took my wife a long time to accept that that just wasn't going to happen - her mum is going to remain a narcissist until the very end.

My wife regularly had depressive episodes before severing. Since severing, her mental health is far far better. She lives a happier life. She doesn't regret it. She was lucky she had unwavering support from me because she wouldn't have done it if they're was any doubt it was the right thing to do. It sounds like you have that support too, thankfully.

I'm not sure how much your partner is willing to 'manage' your mum, but for us, I was willing to do the weekly phone calls and odd-jobs and what-have-you, just to keep my wife at a distance while also giving my wife the assurance that her mum wasn't withering away in isolation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
There's nothing in the minibar you could even get for £1.25

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

I regularly just burst into laughter at the INSANE price of basic food items these days.

Laughter was not on the agenda this morning when I posted this update on the price of a supermarket croissant :mad:

Microplastics posted:

It's £1.10 now what the gently caress??? Broken Britain

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hail seitan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007