Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

happyhippy posted:

That red zone in the pic above is the blood mist you get when you hit a kid.
So if you want to mist a kid its best in a Cadillac.

I have one of those whirly blade things that you get on combine harvesters on the front of my car, so I can plough through as many small children as I like without denting my bonnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Funny to think those Victorian novels where the plot revolves around a dying relative and a contested will are still relevant today.

Someone should do a 21st century update, I'd read that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

keep punching joe posted:

Minimum salary requirement for a skilled worker visa going up to 38k lol that should help.

Another good article on Nesrine Malik on just this subject:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/04/uk-immigration-policy-record-levels-net-migration

She points out that immigration is always politically presented as a vast tide of immigrants flooding in to the country that our elected politicians are valiantly fighting to stem (or fail to stem). The truth is that high immigration is a direct result of long term government policies and you can't reduce it without changing those policies: e.g. we're welcoming in huge numbers of international students in order to kick the university funding can down the road; we're recruiting huge numbers of foreign staff for the NHS 'cos we train far too few here in the UK etc etc.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, this government's degenerated into rule by press release a long time ago: unless they've made Parliamentary time to pass a new law, it's all hot air.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not sure his thought processes are anywhere near as coherent as that. Dude's moving far, far into 'seriously unwell' territory.

Yeah, I've thought for a while that it would be best all round if people just quietly ignored the guy. If there's some obviously mentally ill person shouting at the traffic, you might avoid them or you might dial 111 and ask for help; you certainly wouldn't go shouting back at them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

The big brain technocrat smart guy has now created a situation where everyone hates him. GB News and The Mail Gammons are angry he’s not being insanely facist enough and everyone normal is repelled by the whole thing and/or wish he’d shut up about boats and fix the country.

"I'll just quietly get on with my work and surely everyone will see and appreciate what a diligent job I'm doing" is the sort of attitude I'd take if I somehow became Prime Minister lol. You'd think Sunak would have some highly paid advisors warning him that life doesn't actually work like that and he's got to spend most of his day talking to and persuading people.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, back in the Cold War, you had two competing systems, which required UK politicians to actively choose which one to support, and to what extent. And having the alternative of Communism meant that our capitalist system had to be a lot more careful about ensuring that ordinary people saw at least some of the fruits of growth.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
That sure is a set of flags on her Twitter bio.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I thought Patel had been eclipsed by Braverman as cackling evil witch of the hour.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm feeling a distinct lack of Christmas spirit in the thread today. Is everyone hungover and grumpy from their office parties?

I'm playing the new Rogue Trader game and it's surprisingly great fun to play a grasping, arrogant Gilded Age-style robber baron, buccaneering across the galaxy and putting down below-decks revolts with indiscriminate slaughter.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If people are spending every penny on rent, food and energy bills, then obviously they've got nothing left to spend on anything else. I wonder how much these clever economists get paid to pretend that they don't understand this, I'd like that job.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Seems like I've been hearing about this Online Safety Act, that's definitely going to happen, for years now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've seen a few of those recently, where the message is: " Hey, is it ok to share all your data with literally hundreds of other firms?" Dunno if there's some new law or something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I used to hate those automated office tests, because I would try to use a keyboard shortcut or a different way of doing it and it'd mark me down for it.

Me: right-clicks on cell, selects the relevant option.

Office Test: "Incorrect. You are supposed to select the action from the drop down menu in the ribbon."

Aaargh, what difference does it make!?!?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Funny that the burgerpeople are the ones getting worked about their bug-eating future, when it's already here for them.

It's odd that people'll get all squeamish about eating crickets or whatever but show them e.g. a southern Italian seafood dish with absolutely enormous shrimp that are all legs and wriggly antennae and they'll be delighted.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Like, give me a big bag of dried, chilli-salted insects and I'll happily stuff them down like Wotsits.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On a different note, the pro-Israeli propaganda in outlets like the Telegraph has become truly eye-popping. Like someone said on Twitter, nobody's buying their horseshit any more but all they know how to do is scream, so they're just screaming louder, and louder, and louder, 'cos that's always worked in the past.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tedsville posted:

Same. It's just... moths.... how are moths getting in to the process of mixing up flour and sage and onion powder? Does the process happen outside under really bright fluorescent lights?

Now I'm thinking of a Far Side cartoon, with a lab-coated employee looking quizzically at a big machine with two red buttons on it, one labelled "Stuffing mix", the other labelled "Moths".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Likewise programming was for the womz until it suddenly became a Man Thing.

Yeah, 'Coder' was on a par with 'typist' at one point, not sure when the changeover happened.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Diet Crack posted:

Conversely there have been plenty of times where something's been advertised as hot or spicy and it's been bland and tame, the UK not really being a major offender if you get authentic world cuisines - Vindaloos will blow your head off if you're not careful.

Me and some mates went to Berlin the other year, and we noticed quite a few people having curry for lunch: that's obviously a thing there. So we found a popular place, got settled, were warned by the waiter that we'd chosen a particularly spicy selection... and then it was like eating tomato soup. Germans do curry, but they don't do heat, apparently.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Any other leader etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/16/labour-lead-slips-to-13-points-poll-nhs-priority-sunak-rwanda

Meanwhile in Palestine:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/16/idf-says-hostages-it-killed-were-bare-chested-and-waving-white-flag

IDF killed 3 hostages who were bare chested and waving white flag. Which goes to show they have a shoot to kill policy and having mistaken the hostages for Palestinians killed them.

God, the language around this one. It's so obvious that the IDF thought they were Palestinian civilians (and thus could be shot on the spot with complete impunity); so much tortured English to try and obfuscate this simple point.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The BBC headline is all like: "Israeli hostages in a state of non-life after IDF bullet-related incident" and gently caress me, I'm so loving tired of the shameless bullshit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Question IRL posted:

If they go in a similar way, then I guess Labour will have to ignore three different calls to reform the Media.

I have full confidence that they'll rise to the challenge.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Already seen twits on twitter blaming Hamas for killing the three bare-chested, white-flag waving, Hebrew speaking hostages.

Lol makes me think of Rik in the Young Ones: "Well, if you'd never been born, Neil, we wouldn't be in this mess, 'cos you need 4 people for a University Challenge team and there'd only be 3 of us, so this is YOUR fault!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Water companies are using up to 28% of their income from customers to make interest payments on their enormous debts, because of course they are:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/dec/18/water-firms-use-up-to-28-percent-of-bill-payments-to-service-debt-in-areas-of-england

quote:

Stanley Root, a former audit partner, with 29 years’ experience at one of the Big Four accountancy firms, disagreed with the mortgage comparison: “A house is a once- or twice-in-a-lifetime purchase for most people. They take out a mortgage because the cost of a house far exceeds their salary.

“Water companies take out loans every year … even when their annual income is more than enough to fund investment in building new assets. This is because they need to pay dividends to shareholders.”

A better analogy, he said, was “a person who is given a credit card with a big credit limit”, and chooses to pay a recurring cost like repairs from their card.

“They could pay for the regular annual repairs to their house out of their income […] but they pay for the repairs to their house with their credit card and use their income to pay for a luxury holiday in the Caribbean.”

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bessantj posted:

I was watching a YouTuber I like and he was having a debate on should trans women be allowed to compete in women's sport. It made me wonder how big an issue is that in the U.K. trans community?

Only a small subset of UK people are trans and it's only a subset of them that do competitive sports and there's only a small subset of them where anyone has any problem with it, by which time you've got down to a vanishingly tiny number of cases.

I suspect it only gets the airtime in the press and on YouTube that it does because it's seen as a wedge issue that can easily be portrayed as being about 'fairness' rather than 'transphobia' which can then be exploited to draw people more deeply into gender critical craziness.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Like when Scientologists offer to give you a free mental wellness test: they know that if they start straight in on alien spaceships and spirits in volcanoes and stuff that they'll scare you off: they need to lead you into it in baby steps.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dead Goon posted:

I tried to read a Hemingway book, twice.

Didn't enjoy it.

I tried to read Farewell to Arms but he kept using 'thee' and 'thou' to try and give a sense of Spanish language in English and I found it really irritating.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The only time he ever looks remotely relaxed in photos is when he has a reassuring drink in his hand.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I popped into M&S today and it was full of posh old people, shopping extremely slowly. There was a not very big bit of Aberdeen Angus beef that they were selling for £50. £50! I felt that was a bit much, even if it did come with parsley butter.

I bought some posh Yorkshires. They were less than £50.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyone else just not really feeling it with Christmas this year? I've never been one of those "OMG the magic of Christmas!" people but this year just feels off.

Everyone's broke, and they know it. If the UK economy's a ladder, everyone's slipped down a couple of rungs: people who were previously 'comfortable' are now 'coping'; the copers have become 'strugglers'; the 'strugglers' have become 'destitute' and god knows what's happened to the people who were already destitute before all this kicked off.

My household is lucky enough to be reasonably secure and even for us, there's all sorts of stuff we've looked at this Xmas and gone: "How much?? gently caress it, we won't bother this year."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

1965917 posted:

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only masochist here.

loving hell Hislop, you really are just another wing of the establishment.

It boils my piss that "Stopping the collapse of the NHS" and "sending people to Rwanda" are considered just as radical for these ghouls.

For a long time, I've seen Hislop and his like as a type of 'controlled opposition': superficially irreverent and daring, but ultimately reinforcing the existing power structure. They make out that they're mavericks, bravely telling truth to power but really they're just court jesters.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

I don't see the Eye outlasting Hislop, to be honest. They're all old now, and there's no new blood coming through.

Yeah, the Eye in 2023 has much the same contributers as they did in 2003... and quite possibly 1993. I think they've all grown old together and can't be doing with the prospect of brash new writers coming in and doing things differently.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

I'm not sure why she bought it to be honest.

It's kinda tricky to maintain a sense of joy and excitement, (and not subsequently get grilled for not being overtly happy) when your wife's opening up her books and scented bath bombs, etc while you get your hardware to fix a household problem (that you already solved).

My wife's currently sitting on the sofa, getting into a mopey huff 'cos my 12yr old stepson would rather play his new ps games up in his room than sit watching films with us. I'm torn between trying to resolve the situation and just drinking until I don't care any more

Christmas: not even once.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

stev posted:

Half the fun of being a kid on Christmas is playing with all your presents while the adults do boring adult poo poo.

Yeah, she just wants to spend the day with him but he's getting older now and wants some space but sadly, can only communicate this in grunts and silences. Oh well, soon be bedtime :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gorn Myson posted:

I get why you'd clamp down on those stores, and I get why Labour have announced that they intend to, but I want to know what their actually watered down policy will be by the time the election rolls around. Something like "we promise to look into the possibility of having an inquiry at some point in the future on this issue" or something nothing like that. Or something means tested. They love means testing.

FT investigation into what these candy stores are all about (non-paywall)

https://archive.is/LkLXn

quote:

...Analysis by the Financial Times of companies registered at Oxford Street premises reveals clusters of shareholders and directors who appear to form a loose network, with some sharing residential or business addresses, or taking ownership of a business for months at a time before ceding to another shareholder.

Most have not filed accounts, or were dissolved or put into insolvency before doing so. Some shareholders and directors have gone on to set up new companies on the street or move existing ones to different Oxford Street addresses. One company has been registered at three separate Oxford Street addresses since it was established 10 months ago.

Hinckley’s mission is further complicated by the nesting of tenants, subtenants, agents and intermediaries that makes it difficult to untangle who is liable to pay the rates. Take 474 Oxford Street, adjacent to Marks and Spencer’s flagship outlet and home to a souvenir store called “Ministry of Gifts & Luggage”. A rental advert advises that full rates are set at £340,480 a year, warning prospective tenants to “confirm any rating liability directly with the local authority”.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

You say that but theres been a shop on Poole High Street called Toast 2 Roast which has been empty for at least 12 years. Still got all the chairs and stuff inside, its like they locked the place up and just never came back.

Commercial premises are valued based on a multiple of the rents that can be extracted from them i.e. if the rent that you can get from a property drops from £30,000 a month to £20,000 a month, your property becomes devalued in the same proportion. This is why commercial landlords do that (on the face of it) baffling thing where they'll leave a perfectly good property sitting empty, rather than drop the rents and get somebody in there: the long term damage to their balance sheet would outweigh the short term income from the rent.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
But yes, listed buildings can also be a factor: you can have a property in a prime commercial location that's effectively un-lettable because you're simply not allowed to make the alterations that would make it energy efficient and viable for contemporary use, so it sits there and decays instead.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

Having lived in both I actually feel Oxford is more barren - not terrible by any means, but still. The Templar Square, Cowley, etc. high streets are full-on urban decay and the city centre is full of chain stores with a few tourist traps.

e: I said it was closer to Bristol but Bristol has lots of neat places.

Either way they are both a lot better than most places.

The centre and the north of Oxford are very wealthy, then there's very impoverished areas round the periphery like Blackbird Leys etc.

For a small city, it has a surprising number of invisible glass walls cutting different social groups off from each other. I used to live there, and always thought of there being a Student Oxford, a Workers Oxford and a Tourist Oxford, with no overlap between the groups and each group experiencing an entirely different city.

I used to drink in the Bullnose Morris, where the BMW and Unipart workers would go and imagine an intrepid backpacking couple somehow finding their way there and being blown away by realising that they'd done the impossible, and found somewhere in Oxford that no other tourist had ever been before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*musing tipsily*

"Aah, the Bullnose Morris! They used to chill their Stella (the old, strong stuff) to ridiculously low temperatures, so the Stella pump would always be covered in a thick layer of frost. (So sophisticated!)

Finishing work at 4 on a Friday; being at the bar by quarter past; watching the fights in the carpark with a good buzz on; those were the days!"

*Heads back to the bar again*