Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Read Matt in the Brittoons thread, he's like if you gave a particularly boring middle class person a single felt tip pen and a half a million a year salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Guavanaut posted:

Read Matt in the Brittoons thread
what a horrible thing to say

Edit : i just want to hammer home that no, Apparently is the most boring cartoon there is no contest

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1663849655082385410?t=Z5psLHqAUpSSzoge2WYrrA&s=19

This is how it is every time. Boring subject, bland poo poo wordplay.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 24, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Desiderata posted:

I always used to get Private Eye because some of the backpage reporting is still the best investigative journalism in the country. But at this stage in our decline, without a theory of political change, what is the point. I can know all the criminals in my local council thanks to a rotten boroughs column, but if all Private Eye can do is tut at them, while also mocking anyone who challenges that status quo. Then Private Eye is itself an impediment to change, by demarking the limits of what is acceptable, and what solutions can be employed. They take the energy and dedication of that rare actual journalism, and turn it into the legal bickering mush that is the very lifeblood of the british state. The Post Office IT system debacle is a telling one, it was horrific following that for years in the Eye, but... what was the outcome : some of the people abused eventually got a little money back and some of the survivors names kinda cleared - it's hard for me to see that as a victory for that brand of mocking centrism. No handcuffs for the perpetrators, no justice, no radical change, just years of pain for innocent people and then the pain is then graciously allowed to stop by the very system inflicting it - and we should be thankful! It's not enough for me anymore, what Hislop calls a victory looks more like him selling me a noble but pathetic defeat - because that is all he can even imagine, and would happily stomp on anyone who dared imagine more.

- Furious of Tunbridge Wells

I followed that Post Office story for years too. Did you know they've made a 4 part mini series of it starring Toby Jones - Mr Bates v The Post Office - starts on ITV on Jan 1st.

Apologies for the "Reach" link (because Reach products are a nightmare on the screen).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/devastating-real-story-behind-itvs-31725954

archive link without all the Reach whirly bits: https://archive.is/ErOhL

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 24, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What's going on with these teenage boys dying in car crashes lately?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cramlington-crash-northumberland-teenagers-killed-b2469038.html

Or are journos just looking for these incidents which maybe have been happening forever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's an overall increase in road accident deaths recently, from about 1,500 to 1,700.

Vast majority male and young, as is usually the case.

Not sure of the root cause but as transport is also the main contribution to the 30,000 air pollution deaths it's a better thing for the press to be spending time on than the dog thing or the tiktok thing, unless it's dogs driving while on tiktok.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

Created by a goon called , erm, Shmorky.

Hatsune Miku created Zalgo

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr Phillby posted:

As someone whos bathroom usually contains a copy of private eye i really miss Scene and Heard, which was a fairly large strip where the cartoonist would go to some fringe event or protest and just draw the people there and show some of the things they thought and said. It was genuinely interesting and nice but it stopped during the pandemic and afaik never came back.

99% of the other cartoons are absolute drek, chicken scratches in service of weak puns or decades long running one gag strips. Boy those north london boys sure like fallafel. Boy those yobs are violent. Yes the supermodels one is just stickfigures they're unhealthily thin thats the joke thats always the joke. Dont get me started on 'Apparently' which is like if you gave a particularly boring middle class person a pack of felt tip pens.

Celeb has some nice crosshatching which sets it apart a little. None of them have any bite at all though.

I bumped into one of the cartoonists in soho a few years back (not a staple like scene and heard, celebs etc, but a submitter for the little ones they have in the column.) Apparently each month they’d send in a bunch and might get published or might not. Very scattergun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr Phillby posted:

what a horrible thing to say

Edit : i just want to hammer home that no, Apparently is the most boring cartoon there is no contest

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1663849655082385410?t=Z5psLHqAUpSSzoge2WYrrA&s=19

This is how it is every time. Boring subject, bland poo poo wordplay.
Are we just Edith Pritchett from the category of cartoons altogether then?

(And then getting into a recursively fractal debate about what kind of mathematical structure could represent that category :v:)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

One of the artists for Private Eye unexpectedly died very recently. His son is a goon, and probably reading this thread, so please keep that in mind. x

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr Phillby posted:

99% of the other cartoons are absolute drek, chicken scratches in service of weak puns or decades long running one gag strips. Boy those north london boys sure like fallafel. Boy those yobs are violent.

You won't need to worry about that last. Tony Husband passed away in October, ironically of a heart attack suffered while on his way to another Eye staffer's retirement party.

I don't see the Eye outlasting Hislop, to be honest. They're all old now, and there's no new blood coming through.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

For a change of tone & pace, nice subreddit to scroll through:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneOrangeBraincell/

It's posts of peoples' orange kitties with one braincell.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Private Eye even at its best is a hugely depressing read. The first half is just dozens of stories of corruption and greed within every echelon of the British establishment, and then the second half is poo poo satire and extremely catty book reviews.

I still think that if you could get the alt right conspiracy nuts just to sit down and read a few copies of that rather than just slurping up the latest YouTube fash de jeur, it could do a lot of good for channelling their incoherent anger at the world in the right direction.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s also that byline times or declassified uk are doing better journalism than private eye right now too, haven’t got the time to read as much as i used to so i gotta choose

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Phillby posted:

As someone whos bathroom usually contains a copy of private eye i really miss Scene and Heard, which was a fairly large strip where the cartoonist would go to some fringe event or protest and just draw the people there and show some of the things they thought and said. It was genuinely interesting and nice but it stopped during the pandemic and afaik never came back.

99% of the other cartoons are absolute drek, chicken scratches in service of weak puns or decades long running one gag strips. Boy those north london boys sure like fallafel. Boy those yobs are violent. Yes the supermodels one is just stickfigures they're unhealthily thin thats the joke thats always the joke. Dont get me started on 'Apparently' which is like if you gave a particularly boring middle class person a pack of felt tip pens.

Celeb has some nice crosshatching which sets it apart a little. None of them have any bite at all though.

Yes, the cartoons in Private Eye were rarely ever more than "skip that". Matt drawings with even less of the wit (& I think Matt is an unfunny hack).

Satire is definitely...I like satire, as entertainment. The Thick of It was great fun, The Onion regularly makes me chuckle, & generally I think very highly of Chris Morris & his satirising our media. The Day Today war episode presaged 24 hour rolling news's insane coverage of the Iraq invasion. But that's the thing, it may have predicted the future, Brass Eye may have made salient points about the vapid nature of celebrities & politicians who'll say any old poo poo to get on television, but none of it actually changed that vapidity, now we've got the Matt Hancock & Nigel Farage in the jungle & Vince Cable dancing on BBC1 & they don't even have worthful sounding causes attached to it. Satire doesn't change anything. Which is fine, if we treat it as entertainment, but so often people like Hislop really think they are sticking it to the man & my god that is so far from the truth.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's an overall increase in road accident deaths recently, from about 1,500 to 1,700.

Vast majority male and young, as is usually the case.

Not sure of the root cause but as transport is also the main contribution to the 30,000 air pollution deaths it's a better thing for the press to be spending time on than the dog thing or the tiktok thing, unless it's dogs driving while on tiktok.

I imagine part of it is because there's gently caress-all else for young lads to do for fun in the real world apart from either drink, do drugs, have sex or drive around.
Since some of those lads will decide to drink or do drugs and then drive (or just drive badly), accidents happen.

Some decadent, unhinged societies might take this as a sign that investment in local services for young people is needed, so it's fortunate that the Tories know better.

/\ /\ /\
Political satire is only progressive when either the general population don't realise what a bunch of cunts politicians are, or politicians don't like being told what a bunch of cunts they are.
Whereas we've got a situation where the population know they're being screwed over by MPs, and we've got a generation of MPs who are utterly shameless

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 24, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I imagine part of it is because there's gently caress-all else for young lads to do for fun in the real world apart from either drink, do drugs, have sex or drive around.
Since some of those lads will decide to drink or do drugs and then drive (or just drive badly), accidents happen.

Some decadent, unhinged societies might take this as a sign that investment in local services for young people is needed, so it's fortunate that the Tories know better.

Most transportation should be done by solar-powered golf buggies, then you can have drunk chemsex while driving and it would probably be fine

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

You'd think that I'd be feeling unchristmassy because I decided to stay home and rest my post-Covid sequelae... but actually it's quite nice just being home on my own with the cats, and I dodged both hitting the Channel Tunnel just as its staff went on strike, and my parents have just caught Covid themselves.

No, the reason I feel unchristmassy (apart from gestures at everything) is that it Hasn't. Stopped. Raining. for the last several weeks, and seems to want to keep doing that. Interspersed with the occasional crazy wind storm (even for NL)

The Perfect Element posted:

I still think that if you could get the alt right conspiracy nuts just to sit down and read a few copies of that rather than just slurping up the latest YouTube fash de jeur, it could do a lot of good for channelling their incoherent anger at the world in the right direction.

I've thought this too, though I fear the conspiracy theorist mindset wouldn't be satisfied with the actual "conspiracies" of the world, that are being done 80% out in the open with a sneer of "what are you going to do about it? Vote?"... doesn't give the same rush of being In on the Secret, and decoding the Scooby Doo clues (Scooby Clues?) that the delightfully devilish conspirators make sure to leave.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Might feel more Christmassy if it wasn't 14C outside. Not bothered though, not a big fan of Christmas in general.

But still, the wife is currently making the Big Dinner (for today instead of tomorrow to mix things up) and I'm doing some little DIY tasks and my father in law is watching infinite episodes of The Chase and complaining about different American sports teams. It's nice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Most transportation should be done by solar-powered golf buggies, then you can have drunk chemsex while driving and it would probably be fine
15 minute cities with the traditional dilapidated bandstand near the playground that teens can get shitfaced under without having to drive and meet up like some John Hughes movie.

Bobstar posted:

I've thought this too, though I fear the conspiracy theorist mindset wouldn't be satisfied with the actual "conspiracies" of the world, that are being done 80% out in the open with a sneer of "what are you going to do about it? Vote?"... doesn't give the same rush of being In on the Secret, and decoding the Scooby Doo clues (Scooby Clues?) that the delightfully devilish conspirators make sure to leave.
Also for the reactionary ones it doesn't give an Other. There's no enemy within (Jews or sexual permissiveness) or enemy without (foreigners or immigrants) to sit and seethe at, you actually have to admit that it is systems, including systems that you are part of and may sometimes benefit from, that cause this, and then go out and do the hard slow work of fixing it.

And that's hard work compared to making a meme where the chad owns all the rainbow people.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

You'd think that I'd be feeling unchristmassy because I decided to stay home and rest my post-Covid sequelae... but actually it's quite nice just being home on my own with the cats, and I dodged both hitting the Channel Tunnel just as its staff went on strike, and my parents have just caught Covid themselves.

No, the reason I feel unchristmassy (apart from gestures at everything) is that it Hasn't. Stopped. Raining. for the last several weeks, and seems to want to keep doing that. Interspersed with the occasional crazy wind storm (even for NL)

The best Christmas I've had was when me and my partner both had COVID so just stayed home and did our own thing. No transport issues, no weird family fights, no trying to make smalltalk with people you barely have anything in common with. It was magical.

We cooked one giant meal and had leftovers for the entire time we were sick so didn't even need to cook the entire time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oh I can think of some ways to deal with the system that are easy and quick

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Miftan posted:

The best Christmas I've had was when me and my partner both had COVID so just stayed home and did our own thing. No transport issues, no weird family fights, no trying to make smalltalk with people you barely have anything in common with. It was magical.

We cooked one giant meal and had leftovers for the entire time we were sick so didn't even need to cook the entire time.

Conversely, last Christmas was one of the worst Christmas ever.
My wife tested positive for Covid on the 23rd/24th of Dec. But I was testing negative.

So she isolated herself in our office across from the main house and I stayed in our house with the 1 and a half year old.
The theory being that maybe we didn't have it and the wife could spare us it. None of us had any symptoms.

For Christmas Day we pretty much spent the day just waving to each other through the window, and the wife assembled the child's Christmas present since it was stored in the office.

We had cancelled our plans to dona big Christmas Dinner with her family on Christmas Day so had to improvise with roast Duck dinner on Christmas.
And do a simultaneous watch of The Glass Onion using my iPad.

Then on the 26th I tested positive for Covid and the whole thing was rendered pointless. And I had to cancel my flights to see jy eldest daughter.

Basically Christmas 2022 for me really sucked.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Question IRL posted:

Conversely, last Christmas was one of the worst Christmas ever.
My wife tested positive for Covid on the 23rd/24th of Dec. But I was testing negative.

So she isolated herself in our office across from the main house and I stayed in our house with the 1 and a half year old.
The theory being that maybe we didn't have it and the wife could spare us it. None of us had any symptoms.

For Christmas Day we pretty much spent the day just waving to each other through the window, and the wife assembled the child's Christmas present since it was stored in the office.

We had cancelled our plans to dona big Christmas Dinner with her family on Christmas Day so had to improvise with roast Duck dinner on Christmas.
And do a simultaneous watch of The Glass Onion using my iPad.

Then on the 26th I tested positive for Covid and the whole thing was rendered pointless. And I had to cancel my flights to see jy eldest daughter.

Basically Christmas 2022 for me really sucked.

That blows, yeah, I'm sorry last year's xmas sucked for you.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Private Eye still is good, does good things, it just hasn't modernizes its ways at all to .
Back when it started a mere murmur of an ethics, moral, or criminal activity could sink a politician or company.
Nowadays just ignore it or say back 'so what?'.

They need to team up with Led By Donkeys and Stop Oil and do some protesting poo poo with the facts they find out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ian Hislop throwing orange powder over a slice of apple crumble covered in custard and then eating it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Wachter posted:

All cordless vacuums are poo poo. They might be easier to use if you have mobility issues but they don't retain anything other than powderised dust and dirt and have a million points of failure. HENRY SUPREMACY

For reals, I've had my Henry for 12 years now and dude still sucks with the best of them, all with a smile on his face.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tedsville posted:

For reals, I've had my Henry for 12 years now and dude still sucks with the best of them, all with a smile on his face.

Things that sound really loving strange out of context.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I had a sub for Private Eye for years. The investigative journalism and gossip was usually decent - albeit you usually got an "MMR jab is autism" for every "Post Office" story. As Covid came along the medial column immediately sprang into conspiraloon bullshit. Then their usual attitude up punch up and down on everyone that had become tiresome during the Corbyn years dwindled. I think I noticed that for about 2 years you got better punching-up in loving Viz than it pretty evident when the Queen died. It then seemed to focus on making sure they had a transphobic bit in every issue so I sacked it off. Last few months waiting on it to run out I barely found energy to even scan through new issues it had dropped down so much in readability/interestingness. In short, used to be decent, now is garbage.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

I don't see the Eye outlasting Hislop, to be honest. They're all old now, and there's no new blood coming through.

Yeah, the Eye in 2023 has much the same contributers as they did in 2003... and quite possibly 1993. I think they've all grown old together and can't be doing with the prospect of brash new writers coming in and doing things differently.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It's just occurred to me that I bought a battery-powered snowblower last year (big self-driven thing with an augur at the front that chews up snow and ice and then chucks it like 30 feet, for clearing driveways) which is very much needed in Ottawa.

It came with 4x 40v, 6Ah Ryobi batteries.

Now if only I could get a portable vacuum cleaner which did the same.

Sadly, doesn't seem to exist. Ryobi do an 18v one which might be alright.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
This Christmas and New Year period is bloody awful and I just want it to be over. I cannot believe it is still only Christmas Eve. There's another week of this to go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alan G posted:

It then seemed to focus on making sure they had a transphobic bit in every issue so I sacked it off.
It's amazing how these kind of citizen sleuth/everything is corrupt/question everything/the truth is out there/had enough of experts institutions seem to keep going transphobic.

Like there'd be far more of that in going the complete opposite way. Citizen sleuth? Look into hands across the aisle and the links between every prominent transphobe and American white nationalists. Everything is corrupt? Yeah, why did Scotland spend six years on fully transparent self ID consultations and then hidden influences at Whitehall shut it down in a week with no debate. Question everything? Maybe everything you were told in basic biology was based on mistaken notions. The truth is out there? Yeah if there's all this complexity to sex and gender then what else has the heteropatriarchal establishment hidden from us.

I'm not saying that there's a grand transphobic conspiracy (beyond, say, megachurches wanting not to pay taxes finding convenient partners), but there's more evidence for that than a trans conspiracy theory, and whenever a supposed truth seeker (whether that's a Private Eye digging into one and not the other or a David Icke finding it easier to believe in galactic space grandmas than gender) opts for the latter it says a lot more about them than anyone else.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Guavanaut posted:

Are we just Edith Pritchett from the category of cartoons altogether then?

(And then getting into a recursively fractal debate about what kind of mathematical structure could represent that category :v:)
Thoses are just a very dry version of that predator handshake meme and while dull they are at least succinct.

That Apparently cartoon i posted is about some RHS thing no ones heard of, makes weak rhymes elaborating off something that doesnt rhyme in the first place and posits a lazy gardener would pave their lawn over instead of just leaving it to grow wild which was the point of not mowing it in the first place? Who is this for what is the joke here. Its just so aggravatingly poo poo god i hate it so much lol

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

happyhippy posted:

Things that sound really loving strange out of context.

Yeah I didn't read that back in my head before I posted it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We should all be so lucky to have a Henry in our lives.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Private Eye still is good, does good things, it just hasn't modernizes its ways at all to .
Back when it started a mere murmur of an ethics, moral, or criminal activity could sink a politician or company.
Nowadays just ignore it or say back 'so what?'.

They need to team up with Led By Donkeys and Stop Oil and do some protesting poo poo with the facts they find out.

Led by Donkeys are even loving worse, putting up a billboard showing Farage or Boris or whoever lied achieves precisely gently caress all, because their opponents already know and their supporters don't care

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

The Dickens Understander has logged on

I'm late to this I'm sorry but I swear I've seen this exact headline about 100 times in the past two years, if I wasn't very lazy I would look to make some sort of compilation of "Brexit finally about to be good we swear" headlines

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Best cartoon in Private Eye was always Scene & Heard, the half page spread of vox pop interviews but on actual meaningful topics and with insightful or depressing responses. The artist is now running a struggling bookshop :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

Best cartoon in Private Eye was always Scene & Heard, the half page spread of vox pop interviews but on actual meaningful topics and with insightful or depressing responses. The artist is now running a struggling bookshop :smith:

you can just say bookshop