Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been the victim of GBH and the perpetrator wasn't caught. I didn't want him to go to jail for a long sentence (I was basically fine once the headache and swelling wore off) but I wanted him to suffer some sort of consequence, otherwise where's the incentive to stop committing GBH?
I've also been mugged a couple of times and it's upsetting in the short term and really loving annoying beyond that, but - again - the perps don't deserve serious jail time for that.
Earlier this year, I was knocked off my bike by a driver who was 100% in the wrong. But I didn't notify the police because despite it being the van driver's fault, where's the benefit in the driver experiencing hardship for something that very much seemed to be a complete accident?

Low-effort/quality trolls, though, definitely deserve to at least have their hands cut off. I was going to suggest "kneecapping", but that'd just give them more reason to stay at home and contribute to climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wachter posted:

Most people expect corporal/capital punishment to be a service that the state provides, like having your bins collected. I wonder whether it would have the same support if all the state infrastructure was withdrawn. Would they still believe in "an eye for an eye" if they were just given a court date and a leaflet on enucleation and told to get on with it? A lot of people I know would balk at jointing a chicken

There are plenty of people who'd like to be able to beat their children senseless for a range of very minor misbehaviours.
For things like enucleation, I expect you'd end up with some sort of barter economy where the people who get squeamish at the very idea of it could pay the Nigel Farage's of the world to do it for them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Weirdly, you can at least credit Thatcher for having a plan she was working towards. It didn't work, was needlessly cruel and has had a crippling decades-long impact on the country as a whole, but she actually believed that her job as Prime Minister involved having a long-term plan.

What can you say about Starmer? The man who's reneged on every promise he's made since declaring his interest in running for Labour leader? The manifesto - when it arrives - won't be worth the paper it's printed on, or the hard-drive space on a server. Just pages and pages of bullshit spelling out one core message:

Keith Sterner posted:

VOTE FOR ME

Just one big political goatse from a prolapsed anus of a man.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

HopperUK posted:

They've only been back in the area for a few years, spread here from the Chiltern re-introductions, and it's amazing to see every time. I can't really make out the markings but the shape is pretty distinctive, that forked tail. So beautiful in flight. I've gone all poetic.

I've seen what I think was a red kite at Stratford station in London, which isn't somewhere I'd normally expect to see one.
Still, the gigantic loving sphere that some cunts want to build will presumably scare any nature away, so that's something.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
One of the greatest gifts a person can acquire is the knowledge that they shouldn't touch the poop.
This thread, it is the poop.
Mods: don't touch.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kecske posted:

a combination of factors. Post brexit skills drain of early years carers reducing availability of supply is the principal one, even with the drop in birth rates it's tough to get a spot. it's not unusual to have parents registering a baby (even pre-birth) for nursery spaces only to have the child age out of the group by the time they get assigned a spot.

There are issues of premises availability - most private early years settings are in rented premises and if your landlord decides to get rid of you, you and your clients are hosed.
I suspect the same thing is impacting early years settings as schools, too - supermarkets can pay better wages and are being a lot more flexible with hours these days. Early years settings need to have higher adult:child ratios so if they can't find the staff, there's a hard cap on the number of children they can have in the setting. And at what point does that stop being profitable?

The utterly stupid thing is that this is actually a really easy thing that the government could have fixed at any point in the last decade if they'd bothered. It's just poo poo politicians not giving a poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Childcare payment rules are anti aspiration, you'd think theyd want to fix that.

No. Aspiration is something only a select few can aspire to

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Private Speech posted:

The framing BBC is using for the new immigration threshold is pretty funny, they say it's only slightly above the median wage for full-time employees (34k, which is still >10% lower).

Of course the operative word there being full-time, given how many people on lower incomes are on zero hour contracts or have some other kind of periodic/part-time/seasonal or otherwise insecure work.

I'd be astonished if there isn't some change to the threshold before it comes into effect. It's such a lunatic idea and would be so damaging to health and care (two sectors already on the brink) that I can't see it staying where it is.
My guess is either:
1) they'll reinforce Shortage Occupation lists to ensure that - for example - the NHS can still keep recruiting clinicians from abroad, because the new 'cap' excludes basically 90% of non-doctor roles;
2) they'll delay the date it goes live until the election is too close and then blame the perfidious NHS for preventing them from "keeping the country safe"

Ultimately, just using the NHS as an example, there's no loving chance that the Tories can achieve any of their stated goals for the NHS if this new threshold comes into effect. And while there are lots of "immigration is too high" people in the country, there are a lot more "I have to wait too long for my NHS appointment" people in the country.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If there's a new leadership election, no-one with even the faintest hint of sense is going to run.
Therefore, it'll just be the absolute lunatic fringe taking part.
Not that it wouldn't be funny to see someone who's already announced they're stepping down throw their hat in the ring.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Boris is probably the best example of why many modern politicians are awful: he wanted to be Prime Minister because it was his ambition. To be 'top dog'.
When becoming Prime Minister is all about getting what you want, and there's no specific ideology guiding you, you'll do whatever you can to get there, which likely involves loving over a bunch of people at every turn. And that's fine for you, because You Deserve It.

And telling people things are poo poo, and they're only going to get shittier is just managing expectations. If people expect things to get shittier, they will actually be more accepting when they do. If you tell people things will improve, they'll expect them to improve.
And there's literally no incentive for you to try to make people's lives better since your only goal is to become Prime Minister and stay Prime Minister until you've wrung every molecule of satisfaction you can. And you can do that - as we've seen - by simply telling people to get used to living their lives neck-deep in poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Strong "Jeeves, what's going on?" vibes from the man who won't shut up about his working class roots

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Mere plebes may look at the NHS struggling under billions of PFI debt and think 'Well that was a poo poo idea' but clearly we're not as savvy as noted political genius Rachel "Efficiency And Progress Is Ours Once More" Reeves

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Personally, I'd change my profile picture from the rictus-grin-and-suggestive-but-tasteful-cleavage thing she's got going on before I commented on someone else's appearance, but maybe I just need to turn my monitor on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Gotta love that Macron - the platonic ideal of a politician as far as most UK political journalists are concerned - is also being shown up to be a blithering idiot who makes poo poo up on the fly and flip-flops whenever he's caught out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A quick check of financials, too, I'd imagine

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's quite funny that the relative poverty of English political parties is directly related to how hateable the public seems to find them.
You'd think there'd be a lesson there, but I guess Gove forgot to add that to the curriculum.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I suppose getting cosmetic surgery and then bragging about it in an interview is kind of the logical next step for Jess Phillips.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd love to support my team to create and innovate, Wes, but our office furniture is mostly broken, the ICT infrastructure is bargain basement stuff, the clients we support are more complex and needier than we've ever seen before, and our staff are mostly on the verge of burnout.
So how about you take your BNP haircut and go gently caress yourself?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If it's a teaching practice and the students are on placement with the practice, they're as entitled to search the GP database as anyone who works there is.
If the GP practice just sent out person-identifiable information to the first group of student doctors who came calling, that would be a breach of Information Governance. And given what GP practices are like, it's probably 50:50 either way, tbh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is the received wisdom that Tories call elections for the summer still in effect?

It was until 2019.
Generally, if there's a chance Tory (elderly) voters will be slipping on icy patches and be unable to get to the polling stations, it's unlikely the Tories will call an election.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah the giant newbuild estate is probably the least efficient use of space.

You could build a proper condo complex housing with the same number of inhabitants with integrated facilities + shopping mall in the basement like they do in Asia and take up about as much space as an out of town Tesco Extra + car park.

That doesn't sound very British, Steve

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

You'd have thought he'd have had something pre-rehearsed for this, given how much he's promoted himself as working class :allears:

I was going to ask "what's the opposite of inspiring?" but, yeah, it's just "soul-crushing" isn't it?

Thankfully, Keith is a such an uninspiring oval office that it basically wraps around, warping slightly in the process, so all that's left is 'relief'. As in: 'thank gently caress I'm not as big a oval office as he is'.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've eyeballed those a few times at my local corner shop but never had the nerve to try them.
A rare good decision on my part, I think.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
"The end of Hamas" is also complete bullshit.
Bombing Gaza into oblivion and turning a blind eye to violence in the West Bank is going to do wonders for Hamas' long-term recruitment.
Which I suspect is the point. There's no need to focus on fixing domestic issues as long as you still have an enemy to fight.
I wonder if Netanyahu will send Putin a hamper by means of saying thanks for that message.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I work with quite a lot of children who - 20 years ago - would have all been described as "fussy eaters".
I'd say maybe 75% of the ones I work with are "fussy eaters", because there's no huge impact on health; they get enough calories from eating in a different setting, or they hold out for junk food because they know they'll get it if they refuse long enough.
The other 25% fit into a range of more challenging eating behaviours. This ranges from "will only eat 2-3 meals that Mum prepares and won't touch it if it's prepared by someone else, I can tell it was you, Nana" (but is otherwise healthy) to kids where medical professionals start thinking about tube-feeding as a means of last-resort.

ARFID is definitely on the more severe end of the scale, particularly if you want to access NHS services.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can only assume that Sunak has a bigger humiliation fetish than Truss, because otherwise why is he even still in the job?
He keeps getting clowned on by some of the biggest morons ever elected to public office and his response is to smile and nod and backtrack to say something else he knows at least one group of morons will object to on principle.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, but he'd have got that anyway if he'd just hosed off when the backbenchers started getting antsy.
He used to be filthy rich banker, a few years in Parliament gets even the thickest oval office a contacts list most would kill for; add being Chancellor to all that, and the gravy train pours itself.
All the people looking to siphon money from the UK state can still do that once Suella is PM.

The only thing Rishi is achieving at this point is making himself look more of an idiot with every passing day.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think I've said before that the anthropomorphising of Henrys (and the rest in the range) can cause a few problems with autistic kids who can get a bit over-attached, but it's a lot less harmful in the long-run than anything Dyson or Elon have been involved with, so there's something.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's an overall increase in road accident deaths recently, from about 1,500 to 1,700.

Vast majority male and young, as is usually the case.

Not sure of the root cause but as transport is also the main contribution to the 30,000 air pollution deaths it's a better thing for the press to be spending time on than the dog thing or the tiktok thing, unless it's dogs driving while on tiktok.

I imagine part of it is because there's gently caress-all else for young lads to do for fun in the real world apart from either drink, do drugs, have sex or drive around.
Since some of those lads will decide to drink or do drugs and then drive (or just drive badly), accidents happen.

Some decadent, unhinged societies might take this as a sign that investment in local services for young people is needed, so it's fortunate that the Tories know better.

/\ /\ /\
Political satire is only progressive when either the general population don't realise what a bunch of cunts politicians are, or politicians don't like being told what a bunch of cunts they are.
Whereas we've got a situation where the population know they're being screwed over by MPs, and we've got a generation of MPs who are utterly shameless

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 24, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I watched that Rebel Moon film on Netflix and it's one of the most weirdly-bland films I've watched in years.
The script feels like it was written by an AI trained exclusively on cliches and everything else feels like they just grabbed an assortment of genres and IP-knockoffs and threw them into the mix.

Most people could tell you that combing bad facsimiles of Warhammer 40K, Vikings, The Magnificent Seven and Star Wars would be a really bad idea, but it seems like no-one involved cared enough to give a poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Basically every street around where I work has a Palestinian flag fluttering in the breeze waving madly in the gales and it's nice to see as a person who believes the 'war' is just an excuse for genocide, but I don't think you'd have to be a Netanyahu-apologist to find it a little intimidating if you're Israeli or Jewish.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I couldn't blindly assume that only one of his relatives was accused of serious fraud.

The man is such a colossal idiot that only genetics can explain it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's nothing wrong with having friendships that are very circumstantial.
Most of us have different friends who meet different social/political/cultural needs, and I'd be impressed (and a little scared) of anyone whose entire group of friends agreed on everything.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

grobbo posted:

I understand that to a Guardian columnist, reaching across the political divide involves some gentle Rory Stewart type who you sit down with over a bottle of Chablis to debate the free market, as opposed to 'noisy tosser who won't stop going on about pronouns, immigrants, blue hair, how shallow women are today on Hinge, or showing off his hilarious Team America impressions at you'

That's the entire premise of their "Dining Across the Divide" column, isn't it?
Except that most of the ones I've bothered reading are like "Yeah, it turns out they were an insufferable arsehole with opinions I could never tolerate".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The biggest problem with The West Wing is that it made liberal hang-wringing incompetence something heroic that shitbrained British inbred politicians want to copy, like the trained monkeys they can only aspire to

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

This is unexpected. It looks like Keith's going to stab Corbyn in the back

Starmer to distance himself from Corbyn in major speech

I'm shocked. I never saw any of this coming.

It's pretty loving funny that after almost 4 years of him being Labour leader, he's had so little impact on public awareness that some members of the public still haven't cottoned on to him being the most politically vacant man in the UK.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's playing on a long-running unfunny gag where sportspeople from non-white other countries are frequently seen as breaking the rules of international youth tournaments by fielding players who are too old.
It's cropped up occasionally as a verified thing, and is almost always explained as "he/she grew up in a village where record-keeping is impractical because militias backed by western corporations burn everything to the ground every couple of years" but

quote:

Lol, that black kid looks like he's older than me
is the racist sporting joke that never gets old for some people racists.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Idgi

Did they think Rishi would only work out they were Tories if they wore blue?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Labour: pwease give us more money, we don't have enough

Also Labour: let's pay for a bunch of ads to run on the website of a group of people who are 100% guaranteed to not vote for us

I see the sensible politicians have arrived

[edit]
Actually, I'm pretty sure this is just them trying to score some media coverage by being "edgy and subversive" (or however the coke-fiend who had the idea phrased it)
I guess if you're too poor to afford policies, maybe lame gimmicks are cheaper?

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose it works as a "make the other voters stay at home" tactic.

Yeah, but the limited numbers of regular people visiting Conservative Home seem like a fairly reliable bloc of voters.
I guess if your plan is for them to vote Reform UK instead, maybe that's worth it with PR, but we've seen how well "let them vote for this niche far-right group instead, lol" has worked for the UK in the past.