Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Which shop has the best mince pies this year? I never eat them until December, but I’m sure some of you with poor impulse control have already sampled loads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

forkboy84 posted:

Can't imagine ever having a plastic tree. The only worthwhile part of the thing is that lovely pine smell. Even if it means having to do more hoovering

We have a plastic tree because my wife and I had an unplanned Christmas in our flat in Edinburgh one year, and had to go out on Christmas Eve to get decorations.

Picked up a £250 tree from Jenners for £20, and it’s now on its 13th year, it’s great. The only problem is that it’s too green and bushy, it doesn’t have the characteristic brown patches and scraggly branches that remind me of my childhood.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tesseraction posted:

all that poo poo-eating for nothing eh nige

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

New PM tomorrow?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's odd that people'll get all squeamish about eating crickets or whatever but show them e.g. a southern Italian seafood dish with absolutely enormous shrimp that are all legs and wriggly antennae and they'll be delighted.

We have to get locusts for our bearded dragon, and I’m very often tempted to fry a few up and see what they’re like

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

blunt posted:

It's because the way people truncate the quote has inverted it's meaning.

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" - The bonds you choose are more important than the bonds you're born with.

Bollocks, I don't believe this for a second. The original makes much more sense and is much pithier, that sounds like a post hoc addition to sound smarter than it actually is

Edit: I hate the phrase blod is thicker than water, and agree that you should cut toxic people out of your life, even if they are relatives

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Guavanaut posted:

Similar but a plum wrapped in bacon.

A prune

Angels on Horseback is an oyster wrapped in bacon, nowhere near as good as it sounds

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Skarsnik posted:

UKMT Winterval 2023/24 - Maybe it's a you problem?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I fell asleep after lunch watching Dawn of the Nugget, now it’s time to eat a lot of cheese

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean I grant you that's better for sure, but really, if they're going to ask 'university' level questions for other topics then they should do so for vidya qs as well

The point of University Challenge isn’t to ask “degree level” questions about subjects, it’s to show that students aren’t all lazy and feckless, only getting out of bed to do the bare minimum to pass their avocado studies course. The idea is that it asks questions that a well-rounded individual would have a reasonable chance of knowing through being a curious person who wants to know about things.

Even my wife would get the Gordon Freeman question, and she’s never played a video game in her life.

Edit: Nope, she guessed Portal

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 28, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

frytechnician posted:

I'm guessing you have to be something of a nerd to get chosen for University Challenge so them not knowing video game trivia seems a bit surprising.

Most universities have a quiz to select their team, the producers of the show send out an audition test for free to universities who want to take part

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

forkboy84 posted:

How many fascists do you think there are in the UK? In 2010 the BNP managed over 10,000 members, and that's dues paying members, not just voters. In that year's general election they got a nationwide vote of 563,743. Which is a pretty big number even if I'd not argue everyone who voted for them was a fascist so much as pig-ignorant

I think it’s safe to say that anyone who voted for the BNP, whatever their stated reasoning, is definitely a fascist.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy new year goons, I started 2024 gently cooing to the chickens to calm them down as my dickhead neighbours set off a load of bangers

I don’t like fireworks anyway, but the ones that don’t have cool lights and colours seem especially pointless

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

keep punching joe posted:

You're not wrong, wood stoves are very cosy and smell nice. It's just a shame about the whole planets dying stuff.

I’m sure that wood burning stoves contribute to horrible particulates in the air and significantly impact air quality, but I’m not convinced they massively impact climate change or hasten the end of the world: for the same reason that planting trees as offsetting for burning coal doesn’t materially make a difference, because it is short term carbon storage (turning CO2 into trees) vs. the transformation of long term carbon storage (fossil fuels turning into CO2).

Trees to firewood to CO2 is just the short term carbon cycle doing its thing, albeit while killing asthmatic children. The thing that is hastening the end of humanity is the movement of carbon from the geological timescale cycle to the short term cycle.

Fake edit: I would like to caveat all this by saying that I still think wood burning stoves are a bad thing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nenonen posted:

We can affect the length of that cycle, though. And it sure makes sense to stretch that cycle as much as we can right now. Not saying that wood burning needs to end full stop, but we should use that energy as efficiently as possible. The same goes with peat.

Using wood for construction, furniture etc. is very recommendable for this reason, as long as the wood comes from a sustainable source.

I couldn’t agree more, this is the justification I use for having enormous shelves full of books instead of getting a kindle

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Failed Imagineer posted:

In the nicest possible way, you seem to not have good instincts for corporate survival. All communication with this person from now on should be business-essential and documentable.

I agree with this, the moment this guy made an official complaint against you, he put his cards on the table and you should document everything from this point forward.

Make contemporaneous notes of every missed day, every conversation you have with him and ensure that if it ever comes down to he said vs. you said, you have detailed notes to back you up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

WhatEvil posted:

As somebody who suffers from extreme anxiety I have to say it's a bit disappointing that the thread seems to be going off on one about what an arsehole this guy is, based on not very much.

I don’t think the guy’s an arsehole, I just think Sanford needs to be careful: if he’s gone to HR about something relatively innocuous, there’s no guarantee it won’t happen again and Sanford needs to be sure that if there is a next time, he’s got something to back up his side of the argument

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ms Adequate posted:

I think the expectation is that if they get a truly cataclysmic result in the GE they'll be shattered as a political party because almost a decade and a half of awful policies will have finally come home to roost and left them irretrievably tainted by both a terrible track record and being proven losers of the highest order. I think that's optimistic personally (It's not like all the money behind the tories is going to go anywhere) but I can see the logic if you're expecting they'll get electorally wiped out, like no joking down to double-digit numbers of MPs.

The great hope is that Labour slightly improve things*, and a whole generation who remember nothing but Tory rule come to realise that the government can actually make things better, instead of literally doing everything they can to make things worse for all but the very richest.

*I am not convinced this will happen

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This thread moves pretty fast, so I don’t know if this has already been posted: has everyone made sure they’ve signed the petition to pardon witches?

I know it’s a pipe dream, but I’d quite like to see Sunak and Cleverly defending burning women at the stake.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yvonmukluk posted:

Clearly the private sector can't handle it and it needs to be renationalised for the common good.

(This won't happen regardless of who wins the GE, but a goon can dream).

I find the privatisation of the post office to be one of the more bizarre efforts to make everything into a capitalist hellscape. In the age of emails, the ability to send physical letters is practically the definition of a public service that cannot be profit making, along with basic utilities and healthca-oh poo poo, there I go again, I’m a communist now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m going to ignore the doom and gloom and spoiled ballot chat, and vote for whoever is most likely to get Paul Scully out of my constituency. Because he is a complete fucker and literally anyone, anyone, would be a better representative.

The problem is knowing who to hold my nose and vote for, it’s pretty much a three way tie between the Tories, Lib Dems and Labour. I reckon ULEZ anger will drive people to vote Lib Dem over Labour, because a lot of people here are complete idiots about ULEZ.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am a bit late to this, but the absolute best way to scam the self scanner thing at a supermarket is to have children. I let my nine-year-old do the scanning because she thinks it fun, and the one we did get randomly scanned and they found something that hadn’t scanned (completely accidentally, but definitely could get away with it if you were doing it on purpose), she just said “whoops” and they were fine with it.

I recently saw someone shoplifting in our local Sainsbury’s and I turned a blind eye to it because I’m not a piece of poo poo, but when the chap was confronted by the security guard he launched into a tirade of vile racist abuse. I guess racists are also allowed to steal bread to feed their starving family, but it made me feel conflicted.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also, I had a pack of Aldi’s own brand salt and vinegar crisps yesterday, and they absolutely bang, I would heartily recommend them

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We have an “AI” at work that is trained on all the company literature, and it’s really loving useful, because it knows where everything is and what documents you need to answer customers’ annoying questions. I think that’s about the only ethical use of these things, because it’s only using stuff that is already owned by the corporation, to answer questions that would otherwise take hours and hours of searching to find.

I am really looking forward to all the copyright breaking AIs drowning in litigation.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mourning Due posted:

Ah: my works looking to implement similar & it would save me a ton of time if we did: could you share more info on what solution you've used? Either here or over PMs?

It’s just ChatGPT, but trained on the company data instead of the whole internet. I am not a computer toucher, so that’s about all I know I’m afraid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just seen my first advert reminding me I need photo ID to vote, what a loving stupid country we live in