Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I decided against better judgement to get a Christmas tree this year. I have 6 cats.

It's going well so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Allegedly, spruce and pine needles are all toxic to cats. My cats are absolute idiots and will eat anything green and then throw it up on the nearest non easy to clean surface so I figured plastic tree.

I'm now off work til January! Now I can catch up on the news and try to not drink myself into a coma.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I enjoy the juxtaposition of "my cats are stupid and will consume things toxic to them" and "I am going to take in British news and alcohol"

(I am also an idiot animal and will consume the UK news and whiskey)

Fair point...

My wife excitedly shouted at me while I was in the shower yesterday "have you seen the news???"

I opened up the BBC because she's American and still occasionally checks them for news, Kissenger wasn't on the front page at all. I asked "the RMT thing? the covid inquiry fuckery? the football abuse thing? The royal scandal or the weather?"

Speaking of, which were the actual named racist royals? (Other than all of them...) Every paper has said "we will not be naming them"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

grobbo posted:

It's all a bit berserk.

That seems to be the way the British people and media handle the royals. Sort of a frantic, frenzied obsession.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Cool, my Coccyx is hosed and now I need a butt injection. Happy Christmas all!

I am weirdly still very comfortable in hospitals. I really hope that we can actually unfuck the NHS soon. It's just so depressing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I kinda do want them to set up some gallows the next day and be like, "yep, we caught him Mr Madeley. We're moving the good morning set to the execution room. 10am right after the weather?" And just see if he doubles down or admits that he's a twat and didn't mean it.

Except that's pretty much how we'd get the televised hunger games isn't it.

I mean for fucks sake. Any mild inconvenience that let's them be all decorum like they're on the right side of an issue and they turn into the dishwasher loading lady from the oatmeal.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was (attempted) mugged when I was walking up to my front door when I was 13 and returning home from playing tennis with a friend. Girl and like 3 guys tried to jump me and started punching me in the head saying "give me your loving wallet or I'll loving kill you"

I was 13 and was more worried about my tennis racket and I didn't even have a wallet. I fell through my front door where my entire family was sitting and I remember everyone yelling up the street. My mum called the police who literally found them 30 minutes later.

I then had to go to an ID parade, to court and all sorts which was far more traumatic being sneered at by a lawyer telling me must have been mistaken.

I then got 100 quid and then someone mysteriously smashed our houses windows and for a few years lit cigarettes kept getting pushed through our letter box.

I did get an A* in gcse d&t for designing and building an aluminum inside letter box cover that would catch cigarettes and random chips that people kept shoving through our door, but let mail through.

Until someone shoved a copy of my mum's telegraph through it so hard it bent and ripped it off the door.

Not sure what the moral is. Don't have Tory parents that ring the cops? It's not worth it and doesn't actually help anyone.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 2, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I guess the only things that make me think that is animal cruelty. It's something that has a deep emotional connection and totally can make your brain go off the deep end. Same with family I guess.

To get that way over a wallet though...

Hang on does that mean people like Richard Madeley have a deep and emotional connection to their money...

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Mebh
May 10, 2010

And just like the same time last year, the sprout discussion begins again in earnest.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You're all wrong. Broccoli is the superior veg.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

imagine eating Christmas dinner and giving a gently caress about the broccoli

There's a guy who wouldn't eat a salad you probably would like to meet and converse with.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ukmt: join for the politics, stay for the food weirds.

I'm having difficulty processing how much of a complete poo poo Starmer is. Just actually genuinely angry. Christ.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Continuing my thread tradition of stanning for Clive Lewis, here's an interview about a podcast on slavery and British colonial history he's done. It's quite good. I wish we had him, not Starmer.

https://youtu.be/B4GnIbenPjU?si=MyZtQsXn0hHv-Jpqq

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean they were defeated with something called a Glitter Gun. What did you expect?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I wish he'd get on a loving boat TBF

E: 26 is the number of times we're going to get emergency political podium speeches before we get an election.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Incoming mass defection of Tory donors MPs to labour. Conservatives become the be UKIP, Starmer wins, announces Labour rebranding to be more in line with "sensible adult politics"
Changes logo to a tree and color to blue. SCG says this is "deeply concerning" but they'll focus on their constituencies for now, before being deselected.

Everyone claps themselves on the back with how adult and sensible they are.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just loving poo poo.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Didn't they already split A levels into GCE AS levels in 2000? I was the last year doing the old A levels where we did 3 subjects. Everyone after was losing their poo poo as they had 4 to 6 subjects and basically had no free periods to doss about in the 6th form common room passive aggressively taking over the cd player.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

All Keith is inspiring me to do is draw a giant cock on my ballot.

Everyone round here is afraid of the youths and think hoodies are evil so we're hosed.

Problem is I honestly don't think most of the electorate knows who Keir is so he'll pretty much get another chance to reinvent himself when an election starts.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

I find that it’s hard to judge from any kind of packaging whether something is actually spicy or not. Everything with a hint of a kick to it is advertised as CAUTION: THIS FLAVOUR IS AGAINST THE GENEVA CONVENTION skull-and-crossbones marketing shite, and it’s impossible to know whether they’re full of poo poo or if they’re actually going to kill me.

I like spice, but I’m not the kind of person who’ll happily eat chilis that were genetically engineered by sadists to push the boundaries of human pain, so trying something new is often a trial and error process filled with random bursts of disappointment and regret.

Thing is, human spice tolerance is so wide and varied there are many people who think flaming monster munch are intolerably hot. I have colleagues who can't handle black pepper (they also don't eat veggies either)

I love spicy food, and will regularly smother things in habanero sauce, I love the spiciest Madras I can get with nuclear hot lime pickle and will add double the amount of red curry paste to a Thai curry as I like it to look like this
and remove my face as I eat it.

However above that there's a whole world of insanity. If I go to the USA or South Korea, I do not order hot or spicy and even medium makes me sweat. The Korean black buldak noodles you can buy here are so spicy you start to see through time towards the end of them, and my indian sister-in-law chops up raw scotch bonnets into salad for example as she says they're "zesty"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah it's enraging and horrifying. Like... What's the end game? Do they just want to kill people irrespective of who they are? Because that's what it looks like.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Life is too short to waste on toxic people. Don't do it OP.

Blood is thicker than water is bullshit.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I find picky eaters irritating and childish, so I’m glad I now know that there’s a separate thing that I should take seriously. Is there a way to tell the difference? Cos I’ve been in situations where I’ve been having people round for dinner and so and so’s new partner can’t eat this, that and the other but it turns out that it’s not because of allergies or anything. It’d be handy to know if this is medical or just them being an irritating bastard.

It's a big thing with autism and certain textures and therefore certain foods causing revulsion and on the extreme ends panic attacks and meltdowns. For me it's any food with tiny bones in it. Autism lately has been linked to CPTSD as well. https://healthmatch.io/ptsd/cptsd-and-autism#what-is-autism-spectrum-disorder

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Unicorn is SUCH a good loving album, came out just before my birthday too, unbelievably based times for me.

Seconding this. Unicorn led to me discovering Lights and a whole host of other artists.

The album absolutely slaps and is my current go to in place of ADHD meds when I have to clean as for me it's pure dopamine.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://youtu.be/8sRoYvFTE3c?si=BIvjQs9X1G2hd_8s

Figure the thread might appreciate.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I decided to injure my brain further and watch the spate of private eye end of the year Ian hislop interviews.

The sheer level of "madness to the left, incompetence to the right, why can't we just get a sensible center" over and over and over. Fucksake. How is it objective fact and long term goals and benefits are constantly considered "loony left" policies. Fuckers.

I then decided I hadn't had enough pain and started to watch the private eye on year in review. https://youtu.be/T4zy6yLE2v0?si=UbWeJPxOzcO8BGHP I got about 15 minutes in before I couldn't take the painful poo poo radio 4 comedy punching down any more. Aaaaghhhh. Fire them out of a goddamn cannon.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So if I wanted a new vacuum, what should I buy then? I have a eufy cordless and it's nice for dust and cat fluff but it can't even suck up cat litter!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Post your Christmas dinner pics imo. Happy Christmas Eve goons. I'm currently eating a burrito and enjoying a large long island while I camp rare mounts in my dumb warcraft game after I spent the evening building and setting up a raspberry pi for pihole.

This year my sister was short on money so I surprised her with a huge waitrose order and she has been joyfully cooking.

I hope you are all having an OK day.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I thought the stick was a straw and you were supposed to suck it up like jello...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

stev posted:

Camping for that thing takes me back... I gave up about a decade ago. gently caress the prick.

Worst is I already got it...on the US servers.
E: 73 is the number of dumb hours I'm going to spend camping for digital pixels before New years.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Smoked turkey went off without a hitch. Had mum over for bacon sandwiches in the morning as she's a druid and doesn't celebrate Christmas.

So the rest of the day was lazily cooking , various family calls and then all the eating and drinking in the world with the lovely wife and a shitload of video games until far far too late.

Finally trying to work up the energy to empty the cat litter as everything else is clean and spotless now, but I'm covered in sleeping cats and it's 5am and might just say sod it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had a nice boxing day pulling various monitors into the main room with my wife and setting them up so we can each have multiple games at once. I'm quite glad we don't have lovely family demanding we watch racist comedians.

Also she loves the AR glasses I got her.

Oh and I got the TLPD (dumb wow mount) too! Woo!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

jaete posted:

Ok sorry wait what, those are a thing now? AR glasses which are... good? Affordable? Actually interesting?

Dang I gotta get more info about this

AR screens are what they are. They're pretty goddamn good actually.
https://uk.shop.xreal.com/products/xreal-air-2

It basically gives you a massive screen in your field of view. Like if you had a huge telly. Its genuinely quite impressive. Especially as you can set it to be wherever you want so you can sit comfortably for your neck/back.

Meanwhile I went out shopping for a rug and instead bought a giant golden alligator.

I should not be allowed to adult.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Miftan posted:

What are you gonna name it?

My wife (who it was for, as she's from Florida) has declared her to be called Goldie.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 27, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ah yes, two small boxes of chocolates from a conservative MP who voted against *checks notes* trade unions, higher taxes on banks and corporations, equality and human rights, making tax avoidance harder, better public service and civil service pay and retirement rights, the right to remain for EU spouses and literally everything else most frontline care workers believe in.

That'll loving fix it.
Jesus.

It's so low effort and poo poo it's just...is it designed to drive engagement / rage bait? What the hell.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 29, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Nice to see even tho she has only mention replies on she's still getting bodied in the comments.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just don't watch TV anymore. That way I don't have to pay a license fee to see some gurning MP trying to rehabilitate themselves in front of the nation.

Though again TV licensing tried to convince me I need a license to watch YouTube and Amazon prime. loving liars.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah I'm well aware that it's live broadcasts only, but that doesn't stop the cunts basically flat out lying about it. I just had the 2 year renewal form come up again and it pisses me off every year how many dark patterns are used in the form to try to trick you into thinking you need one.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

On the subject of alcohol a very good friend of mine who happens to work at a cat shelter in Sheffield remembered me telling a story of drinking cans of Faxe in university and giggling because they're so big it's like your a wee babby holding a normal can and they tracked one down for me for Christmas.

It's surprisingly tasty and holy poo poo a litre of lager. Why don't we do a maß of beer like Germany? gently caress pints.

Ps. Adopt a cat. Then your bed can look like this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Way ahead of you.

:hai: