Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Smartcars have the keyhole hidden in a door handle too. And a special sequence of things to do to lock the car if you don't have a key with a working beeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something happened just after 4pm to all these networks:

I noticed my phone suddenly said it was totally offline, mergency calls only, but it came back quickly.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bird chat: there's loads of moorhens, a flock of dabbling bills (old Suffolk name for ducks) and a grey heron that live about where my horse now lives.

Also some magpies and crows who keep dropping wierd stuff in her water buckets.

Can't wait to see the moorhen chicks in spring.

Vote chat: Greens or spoilt ballot

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Perfect Element posted:

Is 'cybersex' still a thing, nowerdays? It was all the rage 15-20 years ago, but it seems pretty quaint now.

e: a/s/l? wot r u wearing??

Their robe and wizard hat. Says right there in their reply.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thank you whoever used my Octopus referral code :)
Pretty sure it was a goon.
£50 just landed in my account.

I wish you a Merry Octomas

I used one last month? I don't know how long it takes to filter through.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Endjinneer posted:

Pantographs are actually mad complicated. The force has to be juuust right, and remain juuust right over the whole range of height travel of the pantograph. Too little and it bounces down off the wires, it arcs and things burn. Too much and it becomes one with the wires.

IIRC when the French did their speed record with the TGV part of the preparation was re-tensioning all the overhead wires to give the pantograph the best contact it could have. Worth watching the videos if you're interested in trains at all.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 10, 2023

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Food chat:

The smell of both bacon (and that generic fryup smell) and oranges makes me feel sick.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

happyhippy posted:

No 'holding pint of beer' option.
Sad.

Sadly, the bing image creator refused the prompt "Kier Starmer dressed in British army uniform purposefully striding towards his shorter wife, whilst pointing at something and drinking a pint". It even refused politician. I had to use 'white male' so would need to bother to photoshop Starmer's head on the results. Which is too much effort.

Here's the best one. The shorter wife seems to be a cyborg though.

https://www.bing.com/images/create/...DP&mode=overlay

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyone else just not really feeling it with Christmas this year? I've never been one of those "OMG the magic of Christmas!" people but this year just feels off.

Ditto. I'm not sure why, but yeah, something feels off.

Vaccuum talk: We had some poo poo goblin thing in NHS housing so I bought a Henry; it's 15 years old now and still going strong. It's also got a 2kw boost mode, so more powerful than the current models.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 23, 2023

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spuckuk posted:

Seen a few in Liverpool but they never last long. Now sketchy nail salons...

There are so many nail places, barbers, and beauty places in Sheerness. Far more than in some bigger towns in the area.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Fatty posted:

Just watched an episode of Uni Challenge from last week, they had questions on snow levels and asked which games featured High Hrothgar, Cainhurst Castle and John Marston killing Dutch Van Der Linde. Fairly obscure.

They answered The Less of Us.

Are they? Skyrim, Bloodborne, and Red Dead Redemption 2 Not 100% sure on the last one as I havn't actually played it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It gives the impression that she just posed with the same two boxes of chocolates each time rather than actually giving them out.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tingo? That's a company name that inspires confidence.

It's a weird from Easter island meaning 'to borrow items from someone until they have nothing left.'

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I like Starhunter Redux on Amazon.

It's amazingly low budget and has wooden acting, but somehow rises above it.

Bounty hunters working out of what used to be a luxury space liner.

Set just in the solar system, not particularly hard sci-fi, but it's an endearingly grubby view of the future.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anyone good at bird identification?

Saw something that I don't know what it was this morning.

Longer than a dove, olive green back, golden flashes visible when it flew. Flight was low to the ground in a shallow sine wave pattern.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sanford posted:

Green woodpecker? Any sign of a red head?

Nope.

We're on coastal marshland if that helps at all.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Noxville posted:

Could be a ring necked parakeet, they're naturalised in several places in this country, usually are green with yellow under their wings.

Nope, I know what those look like - bastards used to eat all our guavas in Goa.

Greenfinch is a possibility, though it would be a large one. Flew from the ground to a fence, so was probably ground feeding.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 9, 2024

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lemurtron posted:

Everything else points to green woodpecker: green back, yellow on the rump which you'd see when flying, low sinusoidal flight, ground feeding and a little longer than a collared dove. You might not see the red head if it's a brief view or you're seeing it with the top of the head pointing away from you.

If I see it again I'll try to get a look at the head. Do both male and female birds have the red head?

Looking at some videos of them, it does sound likely.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 9, 2024

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I got an autism diagnosis in my late thirties, and suddenly everything made sense.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Shocked and appalled to find out that the sort of people who go on fox hunts are also half cut on brandy all day long, lol.

There's a hilarious video posted by some sabs of a redcoat trying to get back on his horse and failing. After a few minutes the horse just starts wandering off.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pistol_Pete posted:

To expand on this: the Houthis (or Ansar Allah, as they prefer to be called) are one of the very few entities that are standing up, taking real, effective action to defend the Palestinians and stop the Israeli genocide and are putting themselves in huge danger by doing so. I'm sure some people would prefer it if they were writing strongly-worded letters to the authorities instead, but whatever.

On the other hand their treatment of women is up there with the Taliban's. Let's not pretend that they're happiness and flowers.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This is what my riding instructor's XL Bully puppy looks like. (She didn't want an XL bully, but her now Ex-boyfriend said to her, "I'd like a large dog", and she said yes, expecting a labrador or a spaniel - something potentially useful that could happily exist in a farm/riding school environment where there will be kids running about (like her existing dog, a little terrier cross thing that's an amazing ratter) - boyfriend of the year comes back with Bruce and promptly expects her to do all the dog maintenance and training. The ban was already on the horizon when he decided to get the dog.)

Poor thing can't even be let loose in the arena because it would need stock fencing added to its existing fencing to stop him getting out.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 15, 2024

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm sure I've said this before, but if I can I'll vote Green, otherwise it's time for a spoilt ballot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Zalakwe posted:

What's very amusing is when you get a very tight election, and you get a group of people sitting at a count arguing about which knobs should count for which people. At four in the morning.

So do they generally base it on where the tip is or where the balls are?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Our Tescos has these in (in their actually Indian/Eastern European/Jamaican food aisle) and they're really lush.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/313860073

The one star review is plainly written by a moron who doesn't know what a poppadom is.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Maugrim posted:

Also, we've been making noises for years now about applying to become a real charity, which would allow us to get a proper bank account sorted, reinstate the Paypal donation option, and accept Gift Aided donations - all good things and long overdue! For reasons I won't go into here our previous application attempt fell through, but I'm committed to making it happen this year. On that note if anyone happens to be knowledgeable about the process of drawing up the articles for a charity and dealing with the Charity Commission, I would love to chat.

I might be able to get some advice from work and pass it on, especially if you have any specific questions.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I slept so badly because of the wind howling around the roof.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a Crab museum in Margate, and their social media game is on point.

https://www.crabmuseum.org/

Post of theirs from the 5th of December

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

big scary monsters posted:

I thought I owned the normal number of swords, none, but based on responses here I'm starting to think maybe I'm the weird one.

I don't have a sword, but I do have a pretty vicious looking spear thing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bird chat. I saw the bird again, and was able to get a better look at it. Green woodpecker.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is anyone with Benenden?

My parents are getting at me to have some sort of alternative health provider available, and they're non-profit (plus I think work might have a deal with them)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If we go to war with Keith at the helm, I presume we'll be changing sides every few weeks.

With missile tests are they just testing that it launches, or do they explode them too?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Funeral chat - aren't Muslim funerals supposed to be done pretty quickly? Is there a way to get a non-Muslim buried by them?

We should have Towers of Silence.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Poor thing, 13 is young for a horse.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Crisps I currently like the plain Laila mini-poppadoms.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The sandwich man who used to come to our office pre-pandemic had Levi Roots coconut curry flavour crisps and they were lush.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Starbucks posted:

I thought you had to punch them in the nose

That's cobras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Wait until you read about rentcharges, although the government did at least ban new ones in 1977. My friend has one on his house and it’s a nightmare.

A friend of mine has extra insurance in case the local parish ever tries to invoke it's right to make people pay for church repairs.