Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Phrakusca posted:

I wouldn't mind having a posting enemy. Applications are now open.

I barely post so the successful candidate will likely defeat me by default.

hey fucker

Phrakusca posted:

Dog attacks: What can you do to protect yourself?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68228780

The advice on this article is kinda crap. It basically seems to say "just give up" if the dog actually attacks. I'm not expecting a detailed breakdown on how to kill a dog, but if a dog is gonna bite you and you don't think you can avoid it, offer it something to bite (the last resort being your least favourite/weakest limb), and fight back. Otherwise try to get on top of it; these mean dogs are heavy, but most people are heavier.

And yes, I could beat any dog in a fight. Probably even a lion or bear tbh. Not a goose though.

deeply skeptical of your survival versus lion or bear but i suppose decks could be stacked

but yeah i feel like there are a number of things you can do to fight a dog whos attacking you. go for the eyes man, works for people, works for dogs

edit: lol worst fuckin snype

260 is the magic constant of the 8x8 magic square, also known as the Franklin square after Benjamin Franklin

260 is also the number of days in Tzolk'in, a Mayan calendar

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing that can stop a deadly dog is a zombie knife, so if the police ever question why you have one that's your reason.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is there anything dogs hate the smell of? Just always lather yourself up in that whenever you go out. Or maybe get like a sealed pocket of it stitched under your skin so when the dogs jaws penetrate it they get the awful dog stopping smell right in their snout and gently caress off?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm not worried about dogs, I'm more concerned about ferrets. I've just been out for a walk, and came across an escaped ferret. Little poo poo bit the hell out of me when I picked it up. Had to walk home holding it behind the head in a deathgrip to stop it from having another chew. The little twat was practically red by the time I got it home.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If you pull some dogs front legs apart really far and fast it rips their rib cage open and causes massive damage to their organs apparently, that’s what someone told me once.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I thought you had to punch them in the nose

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Be alert people, reports of ferret snatchers about.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you lick a dog's balls it calms them down

sorry, doesn't work on bitches there's no defense against them

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Just throw the nearest baby at it.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
Constructing a full body reverse muzzle, like that Turkish bloke who build a cage helmet to quit smoking.

mediaphage posted:

hey fucker

:argh:

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Soylent Yellow posted:

The little twat was practically red by the time I got it home.

Ouch! It got you on the fanny??

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Starbucks posted:

That's cobras.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to start getting my terrier on the disposable vapes because it seems like there's some right perverts about these days who want to do stuff to dogs and they have a natural right to defend themselves.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Phrakusca posted:

Ouch! It got you on the fanny??

Got me pretty good on the hands. Here she is. Not sure if she was just scared or merely psychotic.

Also, here's a picture of my friendlier and definitely not psychotic ferrets.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It's great how every essential service in our country now exists to funnel money into the pockets of shareholders as a reward for doing gently caress all.

quote:

Private firms that lease out trains for Britain’s railway have seen their profits treble in a year, with more than £400m paid in dividends, official figures show.

The rolling stock companies paid out a total of £409.7m to shareholders and profit margins rose to 41.6% in 2022-23, according to the Office of Rail and Road, as the rest of the railway was told to make swingeing cuts and salaries were frozen. Taxpayer subsidies are still running at twice pre-pandemic levels.
x

:thermidor: but on a train. trainotine

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Soylent Yellow posted:

Got me pretty good on the hands. Here she is. Not sure if she was just scared or merely psychotic.

Also, here's a picture of my friendlier and definitely not psychotic ferrets.

:3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

There's a GBS UK thread too apparently and I looked into that one time, and by coincidence there was some guy there just making GBS threads all over Camrath, seemed to have a real beef with the guy and it just seemed to boil down to he thought he was too posh or something. I dunno what the point is, but that really got stuck in my mind after I read about his suicide and I couldn't help wonder what reading stuff like that about yourself would do if you were in a compromised mental state.

This is an insanely lovely post btw. If someone is feeling suicidally depressed some rando internet post is not going to make a difference one way or the other. Don’t be a jackass

e: I guess this isn’t super relevant but I ordered the goonfudge like 2-3 times and it was delicious

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That's a recce or casing ferret.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Jakabite posted:

If you pull some dogs front legs apart really far and fast it rips their rib cage open and causes massive damage to their organs apparently, that’s what someone told me once.

thank you for sharing

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
It's actually how they achieved the effects for the dog transformation in The Thing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think if you pulled a humans legs apart really far and fast they'd probably be in a bit of bother too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

But can they look up?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nenonen posted:

If you lick a dog's balls it calms them down

sorry, doesn't work on bitches there's no defense against them

Would work against this bitch :grin:

Just Another Lurker posted:

Generation X here and i had to go out and buy a loving ironing board last year because i'm going to a lot of funerals nowadays here in N.I. and i have to look somewhat presentable. :corsair:

The things you have in your future.

Once she reached her 80s, every time I talked to Granny Sadie it was like "Big Maggie died of a heart attack last week" "D'you remember Gertie? They found her dead in bed this morning." and boy was it depressing. Also I grew much afraid of when her time would come and it sucks exactly as much as I expected, but at least when it's an auld doll in her mid 80s you know to expect it.

Though this reminds me of one time in middle school the worst bully I ever had or even knew of made a comment about wearing my "knitted jumper from [your] granny" and I know in retrospect that's barely even an insult no matter how much scorn he poured on, but it was a final straw for some reason and as I burst into tears I said something about how I will wear it because my granny just died last week. Then I spent days absolutely petrified that the universe would in fact kill her as punishment for me uttering such blasphemy. But she outlived that incident by over 20 years, if she had coincidentally died of a heart attack the next day or something I would still be in a mental institute to this day.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jakabite posted:

yea i’ve been told that, also if you’re really stuck you can offer it up your wrist but actually put it as far into the dogs throat as possible to strangle it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

This is an insanely lovely post btw. If someone is feeling suicidally depressed some rando internet post is not going to make a difference one way or the other. Don’t be a jackass

Personally, random internet posts have occasionally had a rather heavy impact on my mental health and this is a strange attitude to take.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

:allears:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that reminds me i watched a bit of the film Predator last night and exactly how did this dreadlocked alien create such elaborate sculptures out of dismembered human bodies when the basis of its vision was a very crude heat map? i would think any jurisdiction would class that being as legally blind

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Escobarbarian posted:

e: I guess this isn’t super relevant but I ordered the goonfudge like 2-3 times and it was delicious

I've already apologized and I wish I didn't make it the post.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

that reminds me i watched a bit of the film Predator last night and exactly how did this dreadlocked alien create such elaborate sculptures out of dismembered human bodies when the basis of its vision was a very crude heat map? i would think any jurisdiction would class that being as legally blind

They have different vision modes. Not sure what they all do other than they are different colours in the films.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

crispix posted:

DWP would disagree

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Starbucks posted:

That's sharks
Try punching a dog in the nose and you're inviting it to amputate the entire fist

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

GBS terror agents are migrating over to our thread and bringing their heathen foreign feuds with them. it's time we sent the small posts back where they came from

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I've heard the ripping by their limbs thing. The other common one is sticking a finger up their arse, BBC too prudish to give that advice I assume.

Applies to both dogs and posting enemies

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

History Comes Inside! posted:

DWP would disagree

This is patently ridiculous. Any claim for Personal Independence Payment made by a Predator is going to be dismissed well before any consideration of medical fitness, as the Predator has no permission to enter or stay in the UK, and therefore has no recourse to public funds

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
well i'd like to be a fly on the wall in the job centre when they tell it that

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

fuctifino posted:

I've just come across the full video of Reeves running away from genocide questions. A small snippet of the video went viral last week

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1758996104610201972

This is the correct thing to do whenever anyone sees a Labour minister

Infuriating. Also somewhat encouraging to a) see her being rightfully and persistently called out and b) absolutely eating poo poo with no recourse beyond piss weak ‘oh not constituent not answering’ and actual share zone style Just Leaving.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've already apologized and I wish I didn't make it the post.

All good, I appreciate your further comments.

OwlFancier posted:

Personally, random internet posts have occasionally had a rather heavy impact on my mental health and this is a strange attitude to take.

Sure, but I do not agree that they would be the difference between ending your life or not, and I think stating otherwise would be wildly dismissive and showing a direct misunderstanding of such a thing.

anyway yall should not be giving VideoGames so many dog murder tips

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Oh and since many people ITT have been talking about their lurking/posting experiences, I would like to thank the thread for reforming me from a centrist melt.

Also I used to be a Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support claims processor (and more recently a programmer of computer systems for administration thereof), so if anybody needs any help or advice navigating that particular area of the hellish welfare state, please hit me up. I worked for the Citizens Advice Bureau as a debt advisor for a while too, but that was 15 years ago and I don't know whether my experience is still relevant :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Sure, but I do not agree that they would be the difference between ending your life or not, and I think stating otherwise would be wildly dismissive and showing a direct misunderstanding of such a thing.

I would personally have thought it fairly uncontroversial that bullying can be a direct contributor to suicide. Certainly I would consider it to be the primary contributor to my difficulties with suicidal thoughts early in life and subsequently later in life as well. You could make an argument of magnitude between sustained hostility and momentary instances of unkindness, but the issue there is that what I experienced was consistent momentary unkindness from everyone around me, which builds an atmosphere of sustained hostility. The argument of magnitude is not an argument of kind.

It's a very "no raindrop believes itself responsible for the flood" thing. I don't personally believe that if you diffuse responsibility thin enough then nobody is at fault. And I don't think that's how most people consistently view the world either. Certainly not in this thread where we frequently deal with issues of institutional cruelty diffused among countless invidiuals which culminate in the material worsening of people's lives. I don't think the prevailing attitude you will find is "well we can't hold anybody responsible because there's too many people involved"

It should not surprise you to see that attitude applied interpersonally.