Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tedsville posted:

Had to spend a full 10 minutes defrosting the car this morning.

I started my car a good five minutes before I was going to leave the house to defrost it.
The wife took her car to drop the baby to childcare.

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I wait for the wife to come home so I can use her spare key to open my car. Discover that the clicker won't work on a locked car with the engine running.

I then had to look for the keyhole on the car. But there is no visible one.

5 minutes of searching Google I find that with Kia Sportages you can use the car key to pry off a part of the door handle to get access to the key hole and manually unlock the car.

Not a huge issue, but when you are truing to leave the house in the freezing cold, it's very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TACD posted:

lmao please crosspost this in the Scadenfreude thread and/or the Tech Nightmares thread

Sure, I'll get on that.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It even says in that wikipedia article that you could unlock them by inserting a random USB. Not everything is a moral panic.

The thing is, even if this is true (I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to check if my car has an immobiliser or not.) you have to be able get access to the inside of the car and insert the USB. Which if the car is locked, is pretty much a big stopping block. (I mean I had a spare key to the car. And it was pretty hard to get it open.)

I'm not saying it's perfectly secure, but equally, it's not some trivial "you can hold a phone up and haxxor any car you want."

Mebh posted:

That seems to be the way the British people and media handle the royals. Sort of a frantic, frenzied obsession.

The mad thing about the Royal Racisim Row is when Piers Morgan named the Royals on his show it was "I want to investigate the whole thing. Find out if they said it, in what context they said it and did they have a malicious intention in mind."
Which pretty much translates into "I want to give them multiple defences for why what they said wasn't so bad. Including a defence that we don't know what was in their heart, so it's fine."
Very normal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is what Maternity Pillows are for.

And best of all, you don't have to produce any Ultrasound scans to get a Maternity Pillow.
Anyone can buy one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The wife and I watched the first one and a half seasons of Successon. And like, it's good. In the sense that it is very well made, has a great soundtrack and some great performances by the cast.

But we never got to a point where we were like "wow this is some must watch TV."

As a comedy, it's just not funny enough. Like absurd things happen every so often, and there are amusing bits in each episode, but you aren't busting a gut. Unless you have a really high tolerance, further humour comes from how uncomfortable the situation is." (The "Boar on the floor" part.)

As a drama, it just doesn't seem to have the necessary gravitas. Any time any of the children seem to grow or develop, their dad yells at them, and they back down and go back to being adult-children. And maybe it's a metaphor for the show.

I guess it's great, it just never clicked with us. We'll probably try another couple of episodes in a few months time and come to the same conclusion.

This is very accurate to what I've seen in the show. And those are some spot on copying of character mannerisms.

Great link.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Avenue 5 was great, the main cast really nailed the straight-faced absurdity of everything.

I didn't like Avenue 5, but I accept that it was for a pretty dumb reason.

Before I watched the show I was told "it's got an amazing twist in it."

And so when I watched it, I had that in the back of my mind.
I watched the first episode and they reveal that Captain Hugh Laurie is an actor and the real captain dies in an accident.

But to me, this happened so early and was so obvious that I convinced myself this couldn't be the twist.
So I watch the show looking for some new twist. One that is being subtly laid the foundations of in the background but explains the show.

And what I settled on (and don't ask me how I came up withi this, but this was what I thought.) was I thought all the main characters were people in a mental health facility who had started doing some innocent role-playing exercise involving a ship. But that they all became too invested in the scenario and more and more people kept getting pulled into the exercise, and the staff are themselves going mad trying to keep this daft exercise going as everyone is too invested in what was supposed to be a short project.

Sort of like a commentary on Brexit, a silly idea that has gotten wildly out of hand.

And then, when I got to the end of the first season, I realized I was wrong. I had missed the actual twist and just built a better show in my head. Kind of killed my enjoyment of it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I'm going to be honest with you The Question IRL, I'm not sure that that is actually a better show than what we got. But yes, it's unfortunate you were told about this amazing twist because it's less about the twist, which isn't really a twist & couldn't be, because the show is more about the tension between the secret & them trying to keep it a secret. And also the grotesque absurdity of the ultrawealthy.

Oh I fully accept it might not be an objectively better plot than the one they did. It's just an idea I came up with, and often we love those more than reality. (See the numerous examples of people coming up with fan theory's, and hating the shows because they never match up to what was in their own head.)

Also it was less I was spoiled on what "the twist" was, and that I was told bluntly "there is a twist" and just the knowledge it existed made my mind go off on its own crazy tangent.

smellmycheese posted:

An undercooked Breaking Bad ripoff that tried to be edgy by dialling up the white balance to 7000. Rapidly descended into absurdity once the hillbilly granny hooked up with the redneck teen

And an ending that was built up and up and the creators swore this would be the final story.
And then it literally ends with nothing happening and in a perfect position to continue if they want 5-10 years down the line.

One thing I will say about Ozarks is the locations and filming are absolutely beautiful.
If you have a 4K subscription and can watch it on OLED it is worth it purely for that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You missed the best post

https://twitter.com/richardavsmith/status/1731635410999153093?t=x7XDNcjhb3VC8fKbUCRRtg&s=19

And the quote for those opposed to Twitter.

Richard Smith on Twitter sez posted:

Northern Irish parties are like the New Adventures: most people don't know much about them, there's some really weird ones doing things you wouldn't expect, and they're the source of huge arguments over specific details that seem confusing and/or minor to an outside observer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kin posted:

That's part of why I moved into management.

Other than a bunch of highly transferable people skills if my industry implodes due to AI/automation, I now at least mentor other computer pokers to make numbers look better.

Speaking of, what is a relatively high paid stable job role/career path to potentially transfer to in your 40s?

I work in (digital) marketing and while it's not like folk are gonna stop selling stuff, the tech behind it is slowly simplifying and it's anyone's guess what it'll be like in 10 years never mind 20 when I'm getting close to retirement but not the (lol) state pension age.

It's had me thinking if things like being an accountant are more future proof etc. They always seem like important roles in a company.

My ultimate plan for long term career future proofing is to eventually be made a judge.

I can guarantee you that's one career that will straight up still be going as is in 100 years time. You won't ever see Judge ChatGPT or Judge Grok on the bench*.

*= Though there is a Judge Raymond Groarke, he is not a computer in disguise.
Unless he's one of those sophisticated Westworld type Robots, but then we have much bigger problems.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

I know. I wish they could be made to see the consequences of their words until the taste of what they are saying makes them choke.

Remember after the Brexit vote how some newspapers would go find business owners who voted for Brexit who said that there business was going under because they couldn't hire migrant workers/they no longer had access to EU funding/the cost of exporting was pricing them out of the market?

Like it felt good for schadenfreude, but it didn't change any of their minds. Not enough to make a difference.
I'd say even bringing these people over to Rwanda to see what it is really like isn't going to change their minds, since they won't be living it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

He apparently had a podcast I guess about being transphobic bigots and his co-host was bemoaning that since starting this he's lost everything lol

https://twitter.com/ICanSeeForever1/status/1731987850810265974?t=DvS7drNn2jpOx0vlx7-4SA&s=19

Imagine burning up your entire life just to be Graham Linehan's lovely sidekick

....Wait hold up.

Linehan's co-host.....

Is that a "Without a Clue" reference? In TYOOL 2023?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsFEmLN-r3M

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You can see when the autopilot is switched off.
It's around the 1 minute 15 second mark.
Then she starts talking about "well we gave Rwanda money and they said they'd build a proper appeals process to asylum applications. "
And it says "Driving Off."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This would be lovely, however what will happen is clueless upper middle management will procure a bunch of terrible, useless geegaws that don't quite do what they need to, because the manufacturers reps took them out to a big dinner and baffled them.

This happened twice when I worked for the NHS - first time was the new biochem machine that didn't work, then after a month or so when it did work, wouldn't output the results correctly, and never interacted with the hospital's systems or carried out tests to UK standards.

Then we had the introduction of the Cerner/Fujitsu CRS platform, which on its day of introduction ordered 7 full blood spreads to be taken from a newborn (and the head of SCBU only spotted it because they were fresh on shift), and it kept breaking down and refusing to interact with anything.

In both cases the companies promised that the systems would be able to do all of the things that were stipulated as necessities of the departments. Then the second the procurement was over, the support was handled by 3rd parties who didn't know how anything worked and didn't have the authority to redesign it to make it do what was promised.

I think we managed to get rid of the biochem machine, but as far as i know RHCH Winchester is still using CRS because they weren't able to get out of the contract.

That's the kind of 'innovation' that Wes wants. Not actual streamlining and efficiency improvements, but people and departments cut. Not new technology that would actually help, but big flashy machines so he can go to conferences and fly out to America and feel like the biggest most important boy.

This explains Bad Blood and Elizabeth Holmes so well. The business practice of "If I just hold out for long enough, I'll become an established brand and then no-one will dare say that our product is just a box filled with tissue paper and dead wasps."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

lol my phone alerts told me about Farage coming third and apparently it's despite his supporters trying to rig it in his favour

apparently the on-site crew think he's the most tedious oval office in the show's history because he won't shut the gently caress up about politics and that's not allowed to be shown in bulk

anyway I'm glad that his winning personality won what it deserved: third place

all that poo poo-eating for nothing eh nige

Arguably the fact he finished third probably means whatever the TV company pay him would be far higher than if he was kicked out after week 1.

With what he got, he might be able to reopen his bank account in Poshos Bank for Richie Rich types for a while six extra months.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is factually untrue.

They released the Remastered versions of the first two Tony Hawks games.
You know, going back to the old hits, but with slightly less of the licenced music.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

sebzilla posted:

A system familiar to all fans of Sonic the Hedgehog

And most other Japanese games.

(In Resident Evil 2, this was a big thing for the ranking systems. Where the Japanese versions ranked from S then A, B, C and so on.
But the English language versions capped at A and went down. So there was confusion over what the requirements were to get an A rank actually was.

The worst one for me was the PAL version of Resident Evil: Code Veronica, where it ended up being impossible to get A ranks in the games Battle Mode on the PAL Dreamcast version*. I only found that one out years after the fact.

* = The reason why is the NSTC version of the game had specific tines you had to complete the Battle Mode in to get the highest rank. (Which was S rank in the Japanese version of the game, and A rank in the English version of the game.)
But the times required to get said rank were based on the game running at 60 hZ which the NSTC versions did. But the PAL versions ran at 50 hZ. (As for what this means to younger gamers, go look it up. It's fun. )

Only the development team for the PAL version never adjusted the times required to get the max rankings in Battle Mode. So it ended up being impossible to achiever the best rank.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

In other news (literally.)

Prince Harry awarded £140,600 in phone hacking claim against Mirror Group

While the £140 K in damages doesn't sound too bad, the legal costs will probably be a number of degrees higher.
And that's not counting the other parties involved. Or the future celebs likely to take actions based off this.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

It also means you can say he knew about phone hacking without him threatening libel.

You mean Prince Harry knew?
I'd say he did. That's why he took the case in the first place.
Also why would he sue you for libel, he was getting his life ruined by it. He wasn't in on it.

Edit: Oh, I just realized you meant that Piers Morgan knew about hacking?
Yeah. It possible does.
I wonder how that guy who recently accused Piers about it on his show and had Piers immediately threaten him with a lawsuit, is getting on?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Having read this article, the part at the end is most interesting.

Basically Harry has three other tests coming up against other Newspapers (namely the Mail and the Sun)
If they go in a similar way, then I guess Labour will have to ignore three different calls to reform the Media.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Keir Starmer is the 16th incarnation of Tchernobog? Makes sense.

(Keir balls up the 2025 general election. Resigns. A new leader is required.)

Tony Blair (holding a pitchfolk): I LIVE....AGAIN!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SpicePro posted:

Blood was such an amazing game it is just a shame they messed up the sequel so badly.

The late 90's produced a whole bunch of 3D FPS which are objectively better than the 2D FPS of the mid 90's, but also somehow, not as fun or as memorable.

Like there is an article that could be written about why games like Blood, Day of the Triad, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage are better than Blood II, SiN, Kingpin or Jurrasic Park: Trespasser.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Rise of the Triad I believe, one of my favorite games. might have the original box left.

Also Terra Nova. That game ruled.

e: yes I do have the box

Terra Nova, I remember hearing about that game.

I say hearing because at the time, that game required a Monster PC to show off it's Magnum graphics.

A similar game was Mech Warrior 2(but high end PC games based on Tabletop properties.)
I was listening to a Podcast that goes back and watches episodes of GamesMaster from the 90's.
One of the challenges was getting two celebrities to build a PC, install Mech Warrior 2 and then have a multilayer match.
The celebs never got past the "build a PC phase" of the challenge. Building pre-Windows 95 PC's was not easy.
When They described the shenanigans that you had to do to get Mech Warrior 2 to play, I'm shocked that any of us got to enjoy any fun PC games in the 90's.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kin posted:

We were trying to work out if the tubs were overpriced for what you got in them.

We got a box of heroes for a fiver but it seemed like less chocolate than you'd get by buying a couple of share bags/large bars.

It's also far easier to pass around a box of heroes to let people share the chocolate, than it is to buy the equivalent number of big bars and break off the hits you want.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Miftan posted:

The best Christmas I've had was when me and my partner both had COVID so just stayed home and did our own thing. No transport issues, no weird family fights, no trying to make smalltalk with people you barely have anything in common with. It was magical.

We cooked one giant meal and had leftovers for the entire time we were sick so didn't even need to cook the entire time.

Conversely, last Christmas was one of the worst Christmas ever.
My wife tested positive for Covid on the 23rd/24th of Dec. But I was testing negative.

So she isolated herself in our office across from the main house and I stayed in our house with the 1 and a half year old.
The theory being that maybe we didn't have it and the wife could spare us it. None of us had any symptoms.

For Christmas Day we pretty much spent the day just waving to each other through the window, and the wife assembled the child's Christmas present since it was stored in the office.

We had cancelled our plans to dona big Christmas Dinner with her family on Christmas Day so had to improvise with roast Duck dinner on Christmas.
And do a simultaneous watch of The Glass Onion using my iPad.

Then on the 26th I tested positive for Covid and the whole thing was rendered pointless. And I had to cancel my flights to see jy eldest daughter.

Basically Christmas 2022 for me really sucked.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s super late here and I just finished Metal Gear Soliding a pillowcase with presents into my kids’ room and swapping it for the empty one there without stepping on any lego, swearing, or otherwise ballsing it up, so improvement on last year.

Merry Christmas Ukgoons and hope everyone has a good end to the year.

(CODEC NOISE.)

Snake, if you walk on that floor normally, it'll make a lot of noise and the enemy will hear you. Try crawling.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Detect the bat, whack the bat with the umbrella, pop him in the sock and tuck it in a slipper for safe keeping, hey presto he's coming along for the ride. Hey, ladies, I've a bat in my pocket.

If I had a euro for every time a bat flew into my house and I had to use a fishing net to catch them and then release them outside, I'd probably have maybe €7 or €8.
Which isn't that much money, but it does tend to happen a lot if you live near colonies of bats.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

I liked him during the Office, and tbh I agree with his “no topic is off limits for comedy” stance but the important distinction is that comedy still needs to punch up, or it’s just called bullying.

David Brent works imo because he’s the manager in control of a petty little kingdom and making him look like a oval office is punching up.

One of the key part about "no topic is off limits for comedy" is it has to be good.

For example, if you are going to tell a bunch of parents of dead children some dead kids jokes, you might stop and think "hang on, is thos going to be the best dead kids joke ever. Is this going to knock everyone's socks off and have them rolling in the aisles?"

And if the answer is "No" or "maybe" then perhaps you reconsider before doing the joke.

Josef bugman posted:

I had a lovely Boxing day with the family, catching up with my aunts and Uncle, having a nice quiz and good food. My liopluradon that I got my niece was a suprise hit too.

Was it a magic liopluradon?

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 27, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I can't remember if it was Nanette or another one of Gadsby's shows which included a part about marriage equality in their native Tasmania. But it included this part about how it shouldn't be a public debate which relies on a public vote to legislate for Marriage Equality, since that just puts LGTBQ people in the focus and increases the likelihood that they end up as a target.

Which while true sort of leaves out the second part which is "...instead politicians should just make the choice on their own, eat the popular backlash for making a huge chance without consultation with the public and then the issue will go away and no one will re-visit it. And also no future Conservative Government is allowed undo what they has been granted through political powers alone."

And I think that is the part that had me stuck as I don't feel that is realistic.
Now granted, you could say "why are you focusing so much on political discourse during a comedy show?" To which I say "this comedy show is itself all about political discourse."

Then again a lot of people, my wife among them, really liked it. So that's fine for them. Just not me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Gervais has always been a smug edgelord, but I think the more interesting thing is how he went from "haha these people think that god just waved his hands and made people" back when the Heritage Foundation and Evangelical Alliance were pushing creation vs. evolution as a culture war issue as cover for never having to pay any taxes ever and being able to run their own for-profit school chains to "haha these people are right" now that the Heritage Foundation and Evangelical Alliance are pushing sex and gender panic as a culture war issue as cover for never having to pay any taxes ever and being able to run their own for-profit school chains.

Kinda like an homunculus for how new atheism went from an attack dog against Bushism to proto-Gamergaters.

Didn't New Atheism have a middle link in that chain? Which was "excuse to legitimise being anti-Muslim people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That reminds me that they did a 2022 adaption of the show.(With a mostly cast of colour to remove it from its racist origins.)

I should try and watch some of it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is twice this week that I have gotten to use this video to explain the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDdvlCXyz8

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

can you really complete a degree and be called to bar by like age 20?

No you can't. (Granted this is going by the Irish Legal system, but I suspect that this is an area that we copied from the English system.)

Firstly, it's practically impossible.  By which I mean the method of being called to the Bar actual practical way in which you are called to the Bar cant be done before you are 21.

You see to be admitted to the King's Inns* Barrister At Law program you have a Law Degree from a relevant University (IE Trinity, UCD. I understand that you can get one from NUI Maynooth, but you couldn't when I was going there. Some Universities offer Law Degrees but aren't recognised by the King's Inns as a relevant University**. So if you got a Law Degree from NUI Sligo, tough luck pal.)

Basically, you do a Law Degree that is only two years long? The KI won't recognise it. The minimum length for a relevant Law University Degree that they will recognise is 3 years. Though they also recognise some that take 4 years to complete.

Now what happens if you have a Law Degree but not one they recognise or don't have a full Law Degree? You can do a Post Graduate course direct with the KI to get made eligible to he called to the Bar.

And that's only a 2 year course.

But it's only open to people with a University degree already or people over the age of 23 applying as Mature Students.

Anyway, going back to the relevant legal degree part. Say you are some wünder kidd who goes to Uni at 17 and passes everything in 3 years. You still don't get called to the Bar.

All you have done is been made eligible to sit the entrance exams to be allowed into the KI. These are 5 Exams held over one week once a year that you have to pass to be eligible to enter the Inns.

Now here's the rub. The Entrance Exams are held only once a year. And it happens in August. So if you have to do a repeat exam from your degree, you might not be ready in time to sit the Entrance Exams.

But say you pass the Entrance Exams. That means you are allowed to attend the 1 year full time, or 2 year part time Barrister At Law Degree course. The course starts in October so you won't be able to run it at the same time as your University Degree course is running. 

Pass this, and then meet all the "relevant requirements" and you'll be admitted to the Bar.

So essentially you have to pass a minimum of three years in University, a set of exams in August, another year in the Inns and 14 exams at the end of the Inns. That's 4 years just to do all that.

But suppose you went to University really early, you could do those 4 years and still be under 21?  Like it might happen.

Well remember how I said there are some "relevant requirements" to pass?

Yeah so it's stuff like "have passed all your exams" "maintained a 90% attendance rate at lectures" "gotten the signature of two existing Benchers to testify that you can be admitted" "attended at least 8 formal dinnings in the King's Inns during your time studying there."

Oh yeah and one of the requirements?  Be over the age of 21.

So you can't be called to the Bar and under 21.

(In fact on sworn legal documents (Affidavits) you are supposed to state that the lawyer swearing them is over the age of 21 as a procedural thing.)

Edit: While doing this effort post I researched what the exams are like for the Ki's these days. Bloody hell all the closed book sections are now done on computers. That would have been great for me back in 2012. I could always type faster than I could write.

* = Yes the Irish Legal System has a college named after the King, even after we left the Kingdom. No it won't change. Their motto is "We Will Not Change."

**= It's all to do with the syllabus of the legal course you do in University.  If it covers what the KI consider the lega basics (Crime, Tort, Contract, EU Law etc... it's a relevant degree. If it doesn't, you need to do a course to make up what you are lacking.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did BSG come before or after Voyager? I feel like if it had been more like that it would have been a lot more interesting.

Not only did Voyager come out before the BSG remake, the same producer (Ronald D. Moore) worked on both.

If you watch the very early Voyager episodes you can see some ideas/themes that would be in BSG.

https://www.slashfilm.com/813804/the-star-trek-frustrations-that-shaped-battlestar-galactica/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Babylon 5 is the West Wing of Sci-Fi shows.

A position I will elaborate on, if required after the flight I am on takes off from Glasgow and lands in Dublin.

(Puts on Flight Mode.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Hope for many jam sandwiches in the future.

Actually you don't want your dog eating jam sandwiches.

A lot of jams have pectin in them, which is often made from grapes. And grapes (like raisins) are really bad for dogs.
Plus the high sugar content is really not good for doggy tummy's.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Maugrim posted:

From reading up it appears only two of my swords are illegal due to curved blades over 50cm, though that still leaves the question of how I'm supposed to get rid of them

I'd check to see of the Legislation penalises "possession in a public place."
If that's the case then it's illegal to take them out of your home (unless you are bringing it to a police station as part of a surrender.) Or to bring them into your home.
But not, while they are inside your home.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Who the gently caress colour coordinates books?

My wife does.

Now at this point I'd post a photo of my digs and cats in front of our rainbow coloured bookshelf, but I guess they changed the SA app and it doesn't work with Imgur like it used to.

So just use your imagination or something.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Has there been case law on where they define "traditional"? I think it's clear that "traditional" is being used as a proxy for expensive, to block anything that could be affordable by "gangs and youths". How cheap can you get a modern katana that has been shaped exclusively by forging/hammering?

While I'm not 100% sure on the English laws, here is what the Irish law says in respect of it.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/338/made/en/print

quote:

(c) by inserting, after paragraph (q), the following paragraph:

“(r) the sword sometimes known as samurai or katana, other than such a sword—

(i) made before 1954, or

(ii) made at any other time according to traditional methods of making swords by hand.”.

So basically, it's illegal to have a samurai * sword, unless said sword was made in a traditional method of making sword**
Or any Sword made in any method that was made before 1954.

As for why specifically 1954 as the cutoff. I don't know.
But I suspect it has something to do with how Godzilla was released in cinemas in Japan in 1954.
Can't have people using radioactive swords.

*= Yes I have huge issues with the legislation putting that name in as part of it, as its not their technical name. Just a colloquial name given to them and you don't put that into law. You don't criminalise possession of "gear" or "china white."

** = Which I imagine is essentially a positive defence that you would advance to say your sword isn't covered by the law. Maybe it would be sufficient to say "I took an angle grinder to a piece of metal until it looked like this kicking rad sword." Since it would have been done by your hand.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's more the idea that it's only a thing for 'city people' that's ridiculous. And I'm going to guess coded homophobia by the Lord. (They talk to gays, Sodom and Gomorrah and all that.)

City people had contraceptives back when country people had to find other ways around, so he's talking out of his birth control entrance.

I had assumed it was just a bit of racism on the part of the Lord.
(Talk of concrete jungle, being a reference to cities having non-white populations. From there it wouldn't take long for someone to fall into the racist stereotypes of over-sexed inner city types, wrecking their bums by having too much bum sex.)

So this wasn't (technically) stupidity more laziness.
Basically, different drugs were added to the Misuse of Drugs Act through S.I (Statutory Instrument, where a Minister could ammend or enact legislation without having to always have full parliamentary debates.)
This and off itself isn't a problem as there are reasons why you need to allow a Minister to sign a letter that says "this Law passed last month can now go into Effect."

Where it was a problem was new drugs were being added (which was due to minor variations being made to the chemical formula of illegal substances to make them not illegal. So they had to keep adding new drugs and then start criminalising chemical formulas and derivatives of said formula.) And the Court of Appeal ultimately said that the Ministers had gone too far in criminalising so many different drugs without a proper debate.

Thus leading to a situation where they were all legal for about 48 hours while the Government convened and had a situation where they "debated" about criminalising each one of about 100+ drugs. (I think they had to give at least 5 minutes to each specific drug debate. Sounds like it would have gotten very tedious very quickly.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Don't own a sword but do find watching bronze casting and blacksmithing videos on the YouTube relaxing. Maybe one day I'll melt one for myself.

If so, film yourself doing so. That way, if you are ever arrested, you can prove that you made the sword by hand.

I'd also recommend forging it with some type of techno-hammer, with minimal protective equipment and a :krad: soundtrack on in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

This is what we in the business call, metal as Hell.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbf doing so wouldn't necessarily mean outright accusing Israel of genocide, that decision is going to be way down the line. It would purely be calling for Israel to calm the gently caress down and stop blowing people up, which isn't so far removed from the position of a lot of international organisations.

While they haven't gone that far, they do say that there is a Prima Facia case that Genocide is happening and have refused Israel's decision for the case to be dismissed.

Honestly, I think this was the best result you could hope for at this stage.

Hopefully the Irish Government will reconsider their position of "let's not criticise the Israel Government until the ICJ actually rules on the matter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The funniest thing about D&D (the game, not the forum), is how it keeps going on and on about how driders are hideous monsters and being turned into one is a terrible punishment, and yet nobody whatsoever believes that.

To which I respond...

A Lord of Waterdeep posted:

I have read about one family cleric working in a leafy suburb in the Boarder Princes—not a concrete jungle in an inner city dungeon—treating growing numbers of teenage girls suffering from the after-effects of being turned into driders.