Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Tree's happening this weekend.
Wreath making and other festive crafts next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

£38k GROSS pay is the 73rd percentile (£38200) of income amongst those who earn enough to pay taxas at 20/21 (latest figures which seem to be available).

(£26300 is the 50th percentile - ie median).

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax

MPs' pay - adjacent to £85k- is between the 95th & 96th percentiles. and £50k is the 85th percentile!

I don't think many higher earners appreciate just how low most peoples' pay is!

UK is such a backwards country. 50k isn't even that much money. In comparison to the average cost of houses and cars and cost of living, you're comfortable, but certainly not rich.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

Whoever told Jerry he should wrench 5+ minutes of the worlds least interesting observational comedy into every 20 minute episode killed it.

Thing with Seinfeld is you have to judge it based on it's time.
"What's the deal with airplane food?" Is clichéd poo poo as gently caress now. But in the early 90s a fresh(ish) new take

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Kin posted:

I'm in the 50k range and my wife on thy high 40s and it did feel like scrooge mcduck money to us too as I was in the same boat going from minimum wage shelf monkey to head of dept over the last 20 years.

Until we had kids.

We've currently got a £10k a year nursery cost that's going to go up to £20k from next summer (that's including the childcare support, and assuming it doesn't go up again).

When £2k comes out of your pocket every month for just one thing, things start to feel a bit worrisome.

We've got a nice house out in the middle of nowhere so the mortgage is currently floating about £1k a month too, but our interest rate is gonna shoot up just as the kids are both in nursery full time. I'm estimating another £500 a month for that.

Once we get past the nursery, I'm sure things will get back to feeling a bit more like scrooge mcduck. Other than feeding them, and occasionally buying clothes/toys I don't think kids cost £2k a month do they?

The thing is it's a long loving time they'll be in nursery. One kid has just turned 2, so he's got another 2 and a bit years before he starts school and the other isn't 6 months old yet, so she's got another 4 years once she starts.

I'm basically crossing my fingers that for the next 3 or so years, neither of us are made redundant (my salary is already frozen this year and next), nothing breaks down and that prices don't go up significantly again.

It feels weirdly ungrateful/inconsiderate to think this way too given that so many people are in worse situations, but things really don't feel as secure as I'd originally thought for such high salaries.

This is exactly what I was talking about.
In the top 15% of earners, yet still only just getting by.

You'd think being in the top 15% of earners in one of the richest countries on earth would put you comfortably into nice car, expressive clothes and eating out regularly territory, but instead it's 'can afford a mortgage and raise children'. A standard of living that a couple of generations ago was achievable by a single earner with no degree

Country's hosed

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

Are they going to have time to actually pass these facist laws? Because a May election is pretty much confirmed as far as I hear, and that’s going to come around very quickly after Xmas

Why may?
Surely sunak knows he's on his way out, why not hold on in power as long as possible?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When's the latest he realistically calls an election?

What's the minimum time he can call an election in?
Might as well inconvenience everyone and have polling day on Dec 27th

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Didn't watch. Was it funny?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Sanford posted:

Turns out their best song is about periods? Disgusting. You should pay me to take this away.

Their best song is about a goth girlfriend

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Realised my mistake of saying the song is about a goth girlfriend. Doesn't really narrow it down at all

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Just drink it
Pint of sugar and cream, breakfast of champions

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Did someone mention music and then DooM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEVvIwpel0

Can't talk about Doom music without posting this

https://youtu.be/U4FNBMZsqrY?si=lhoNHpAM5T1kriZe

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Normal Saturday morning posting

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

DesperateDan posted:

bustin' makes me feel good

https://youtu.be/0tdyU_gW6WE?si=j4JIqg-XJwFnrmIT

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Big trouble at the jets hideout brewing

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Tooth chat is depressing. Gonna try and hold out for a couple more years then do some dental tourism and get all-on-4 or all-on-6

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Having a log fire is nice

It's lovely, I don't think I'll dispose of my tree in it though

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
RIP dog

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Fire the guy that sucks and give the goon a pay rise.

People should be supported when they have health problems, but there has to be a point where it's not sustainable anymore.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tigey posted:

My gut feeling is this is now a performance/capability issue. If the person is not or cannot do their job after everything possible has been done to make reasonable adjustments and address barriers related to their disability, then other options, like redeployment or dismissal are possibilities.

Exactly this. Reasonable adjustments have been made, there's been a lot of leeway given in terms of time off etc.
But there comes a point where you have to accept he's not suitable for the job.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Sucks that this guy is struggling with anxiety. He should get therapy, or do steps to wellbeing, or a PIP assessment.
Maybe move him into an admin position, and not one where he's client facing

If you're a CSM and regularly flake out on your customers, that's gonna negatively impact the customer's relationship with the business. If enough customers get sick of the service they are receiving and leave, then everyone will be out of a job - not just the person with anxiety

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 9, 2024

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Microplastics posted:

Moneysavingexpert has some good pages on car insurance in general, always worth checking those out.

Just a warning on this. One of their tips is that different job titles can result in lower premiums.
However, if you keep putting in different quotes changing your job title, it can result in some companies refusing to quote you at all, as they don't like people trying to game the system.
YMMV, but it's something I've seen people complain about in car forums

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Mr Teatime posted:

I’ll drop the boat chat after this if it’s winding people up or not thread appropriate, but it really isn’t as clear cut as simply being Israeli owned/operated or whatever. The ships I’m on are on, like the Hangzhou are being targeted because our run across the world used to include a single port call in Haifa. That’s it. We don’t go there anymore but it doesn’t matter, the ships are now considered targets. There’s been ships attacked that never called in Israel but because they carried cargo that later ended up in Israel, they are now targets. The links in a lot of cases are pretty tenuous at best.

Do more boat chat

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

The Perfect Element posted:

Feels like we're all just talking across each other here. The 'dissenting voice' is the poster whose literal irl friends and colleagues are on boats being attacked by the Houthis, and even then they're hardly screaming for vengeance. Maybe goons itt could just have the tiniest shred of empathy and cool their angry online jets for once.

It's his fault for having a job

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Maybe the plan is to soak up so many US and UK bombs, there'll be none left to give to Israel

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Can't wait till next year when we've got the international dream team of starmer and trump

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
That's some free parking poo poo right there

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Sanford posted:

Update on my colleague (you know you want it)...

... He thanked me for picking up a meeting on Friday and I said I didn’t, the client called to say no-one was there and it’s rescheduled for me to squeeze it in tomorrow.

This is the kind of stuff that's gonna have the biggest impact I think.
You might be able to try and pick up the slack, but long term a lot of clients might start looking to go elsewhere if this continues

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
More work chat
More boat chat
More stupid poo poo from twitter
More circular firing squads
:justpost:

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
What's the black hex represent?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
No northern goth party to vote for ☹️

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

I thought they were asking what the black hex represented on the coughing red man, to which I simply reply: nipple.

It's the UK in human form, so shriveled black heart

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

DreddyMatt posted:

More circular firing squads
:justpost:

If I'd known it was wish granting day, I would've set my sights higher

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Too much nuance
Could you reduce that down to a gif or something please?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
What would make you vote Labour in the upcoming election?
And secondly, who do you plan on voting for?

Ukmt early polling suggests landslide victory for pm cock&balls

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

fuctifino posted:

Brain injury and/or torture

Lmao

What about q2? Gonna stay at home, deface ballot, or vote for another party?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Isomermaid posted:

there's always the possibility that if it all goes completely to hell I will ride the rest of my privilege to emigrate somewhere with a functional left wing government and a sane attitude to LGBT+ rights assuming one actually exists.

What privilege is that? Got a euro passport or spouse? Or something else?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really convinced that it will make any difference who I vote for or that having Labour win the election will do anybody any good. I don't really think they're better than the Tories, their only complaint about Tory policy seems to be that they could implement it better, or seems utterly performative in the "well this is terrible, no we wouldn't undo it" sense.

It seems like you'd just be voting for the same thing but with a new face to legitimise it.

Is that another tally for cock&balls? Or staying at home?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

I don't blame those of y'all with fuckheads spoiling your ballot.

I think a vote against labour is more useful in the long term, but if people wanna flex their artistic skills, then have at it. Do a big veiny throbber

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

There are, of course, a few people in constituencies where there is no good (or even tolerable) candidate to vote for. Yay FPTP!

I don't have a clue who my local candidate is, but I'm voting green in the hope that at the following election they look at the metrics, see a sharp increase in green votes and put forward some better policies to win those voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

TACD posted:

Yeah seriously anyone not wanting to vote for anyone please at least go spoil your ballot to actively vote for “None of the above”

Fair play, it's a totally valid point. I just think long term it's not great
If they look and see lots of spoiled votes, they can easily write them off as dissatisfied people who they can never reach.
If you vote for a single issue party, like green, then at least they can see an increase in people looking for more environmental policies in the future.

Like farage never won a seat, but managed to turn ukip into one of the most influencial parties of the last decade