Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Wachter posted:

Bold of you to assume that Britain won't be aligned the nonce planet

I'm assuming a Highlander-style "there can only be one" showdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so he wants intervention in the Free Market? doesn’t sound very Conservative of him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
loving :laffo: at saying regulars ITT are into “respecting everyone’s feelings”

is there a UK Centrism Thread we keep getting confused with or something

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there is no bigger indictment of the current Labour Party than them gleefully talking about getting Tory voters to switch and not realising it’s because the two parties are essentially indistinguishable currently

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I remember during the early 90s people weren’t sure if it was actually good for you or not

truly they were the days of seitanic panic

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm sure this facial-recognition system will be able to tell black people apart

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the argument seems to be "it wasn't a hate crime because they were planning to kill other people"

which, even if it's true, there's plenty of evidence to show why they chose her first

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Private Eye still is good, does good things, it just hasn't modernizes its ways at all to .
Back when it started a mere murmur of an ethics, moral, or criminal activity could sink a politician or company.
Nowadays just ignore it or say back 'so what?'.

They need to team up with Led By Donkeys and Stop Oil and do some protesting poo poo with the facts they find out.

Led by Donkeys are even loving worse, putting up a billboard showing Farage or Boris or whoever lied achieves precisely gently caress all, because their opponents already know and their supporters don't care

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Some ridiculously easy videogame questions on University Challenge just now and they didn’t have a clue

I was surprised they got one tbh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

stev posted:

Yeah I was wondering that - would they accept either? What about Metal Gear Ac!d?

the theme of the bonuses was "games released in 1998"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
University Challenge’s thing is complicated questions on academic subjects and easier ones on pop culture, it’s the opposite of every other quiz show

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
also no-one on the team is going to have spent several years doing Obscure Video Game Studies

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my first year of uni the TV licence people sent out the same “we’ve detected you watching TV without a licence” to literally every student in my ~400 person halls, you could see them in everyone’s pigeonhole

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Wetherspoons pizza is surprisingly good tbh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

There's nothing wrong with having friendships that are very circumstantial.
Most of us have different friends who meet different social/political/cultural needs, and I'd be impressed (and a little scared) of anyone whose entire group of friends agreed on everything.

there are disagreements and disagreements though

like my friends can’t agree on whether BG3 or Elden Ring is a better game and that’s fine, but to be a Tory in 2023 you’ve got to believe that immigrants and trans people don’t deserve human rights and that’s a bit much to just say “agree to disagree” on imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesla was right posted:

Funnily enough it's always the young and left-wing who need to reach out, change themselves and moderate their beliefs, never the reverse.
🤔it's almost like the children are wrong.

this is also the same with "compromising", particularly when talking about union negotiations

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
“Star Trek paved the way for Obama” is one of the smoothest-brain takes of the year already

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how many international students even bring their families? this is a drop in the bucket

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

As somebody who suffers from extreme anxiety I have to say it's a bit disappointing that the thread seems to be going off on one about what an arsehole this guy is, based on not very much.

Obviously this is causing some hardship for Sanford and that's not good but I can certainly believe that if the shoe was on the other foot and somebody was in here saying they suffer from anxiety and have been having difficulty at work and they went in and some guy made a snarky comment and laughed at them* then the thread would be telling them they should report that person to the bosses and maybe try to find a way to leave the company and if possible get a nice little payout out of it.

*I'm not saying that Sanford did anything wrong here BUT as an anxiety sufferer, if he's having a bad day, it can be difficult to not take things like this personally even if Sanford didn't mean anything by it (which, to be very clear, I do believe).

Honestly it's all a bit close to Tory benefit/work assessment bullshit. Particularly like "What he's got anxiety that means he can't work, but he can go straight to the bosses and report this?!" or whatever. Probably just start at a default of believing that people who suffer from mental health problems aren't lying about it.

agreed, while I doubt it was a malicious statement it wasn't a good thing to say to someone with severe MH issues

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

Sometimes that advice isn’t given for the purpose of helping - it’s given to admonish in a socially acceptable way. And if you’re using mental health as an excuse to be prick, you deserve admonishing.

‘Sorry I’ve got anxiety/other MH issues’ isn’t a blanket reason for everyone around you to tolerate your bullshit all the time. Sure, most good people will cut some extra slack and be sensitive of what you’ve got going on but they’re also within their rights to tell you to get hosed after a certain point. Sanford making one slightly snarky remark to someone who’d made their life way harder for ages and is also clearly a prick (an anxious prick, sure, but a prick nonetheless) is fair enough.

what exactly makes you say they’re clearly a prick?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gonna be hilarious if Labour get torpedoed by something that actually wasn't Keith's fault

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the image of the Met trying to arrest a country is deeply hilarious to me

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
shooting at a bunch of civilian ship crew seems pretty bad to me regardless of who’s doing it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

One day you’ll have a not-poo poo opinion but apparently it isn’t today.

The Yemeni govt., referred to by the west as ‘the Houthis’ to make them sound threatening, are the only state to do anything material to stop the currently happening genocide in Palestine. They’ve done this without killing a single person. It’s absolutely remarkable. Tell me JC, if you controlled the Bab El-Mandeb, what would you be doing? Obnoxiously whining doesn’t count.

if Israel was shooting at civilian ships you’d be up in arms about it with the rest of us, why is it OK just because it’s done by someone who you apparently approve of?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe they're more concerned about the thousands of dead children than the possibility of damage to a shipping container of HDTVs?

please explain how potentially killing people who have nothing to do with either Israel or Gaza is going to make the situation there better in any way

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

By putting economic pressure on Israel. That seems so straightforward it shouldn't need explaining

Israel is going to keep going until and unless the US tells them to stop, no sort of shipping blockade is going to make the slightest bit of difference

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

lol

“shooting at people who don’t deserve it is fine, actually” - a supposed leftist

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Who does deserve shooting and why?

no-one, but I wouldn’t lose too much sleep if Bibi or some IDF commanders got shot

I don’t see why it’s acceptable that someone who’s just working on a ship should suddenly become an acceptable target because that ship might be going somewhere vaguely near the Red Sea

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

You're in the "spinning out and making up imaginary conversations" phase of this posting cycle. Please make sure to take 5 minute breaks every hour and stay hydrated

am I making up the bit where I was described as a centrist not a leftist, or the numerous posts where people justified opening fire on civilians

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

It was pointed out in this thread weeks ago that there was discontent within Israel from civilians who were angry at the genocide military action tanking the economy.
A bit of extra economic pressure on the government will make some sort of difference.
It's one thing to get shipments of arms from your allies; if you start asking them to send food while you're also asking for weapons, that's the kind of bad optics I reckon even a few hardliners would flinch at.

thank you for making an actual argument and not just attacking me

given Biden’s full-throated support of Israel’s actions so far I think it’s unlikely that he’d refuse extra aid for Israel if they asked for it, but at some point surely he’s got to think about November’s Trump rematch and realise that genocide polls really, really badly with Dems, so who knows

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

How many civilians has Yemen killed again?

I don’t recall claiming that they’d killed any, so now who’s making things up

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're delivering goods to a nation that is committing genocide. We've been doing this to countries all over the planet for far weaker reasons and with entirely predictable consequences for civilian populations much less capable of surviving than Israel and with much less deliverable demands than "Stop committing genocide".

Hell, we literally just did this to Yemen. Hundreds of thousands killed for literally no gain beyond arms sales. Famine created by us to benefit Saudi Arabia.

What's notable is that the Houthi have pretty much completely adopted the language of the Liberal West when they attempted to justify every military intervention over the past 30 years, and you can argue they're doing it far more sincerely.

assuming that they’re only shooting at ships going to Israel (which iirc the guy who actually works on one of those ships said wasn’t true) that’s not the crew’s fault, I doubt they get much input on where their cargo ends up

I have no problem with a blockade of Israel but I don’t agree with putting undeserving people in danger to do so

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

As shite as Sunak is, bloody hell I hope Redfield and Wilton got paid well for that push polling, can you imagine being the poor bugger who had to figure out how to get people to say Starmer represents change or can bring British people together?

I'm assuming from this that 48% of people, when asked who tells the truth, said "neither"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if Labour win a landslide after having shifted so far rightwards I don’t see any way they don’t use it as vindication and continue moving in that direction

my personal best-case scenario is that they underachieve with a hung Parliament, Starmer gets the blame and the boot, and there’s maybe a small chance that someone vaguely leftist wins the leadership contest

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TACD posted:

if he can fudge the numbers by reclassifying certain crimes as non-violent or making it harder for women to report violence then mission accomplished!

I suspect he’s going to separate out violent crimes against trans women and then claim he’s succeeded

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if people vote Labour then the blue Tories will be out

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
car owners: poor (£13k+ to buy)

cyclists: rich (£200+ to buy)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Skulker posted:

If you've got the spare time and spare energy to cycle to and from work then your job is more likely to be pretty cushy, making you more likely to be a moneyed kinda fucker.

well or you're an Ubereats rider and therefore on the poverty line

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Not the norm but there are some bikes out there costing more than used car (electric cargo bikes mainly)

I'm comparing like for like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Tesco tech hitch leaves deliveries in 'shambles

in which Mark complains about having to get up “extra early” for the 8am delivery slot that……he himself booked