Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

facialimpediment posted:

he's not going away!

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1730820572983316817

you will take his 24/7 hardcore intercontinental championship from his cold, dead hands

Oh, no, don't spill dirt on other congresspeople, that would be terrrrrrible.

golden bubble posted:

What the hell is going on at the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7e...an-presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVO4SJqIIIw

:stare:

Also, DECEMBER Current Events: Homo Robocopus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Wonderful robots Mr. Musk, I bet you collected so much good data from it shooting your scientists and then itself.

(They remind me of the stupid Tesla robot, especially the one that screams and pulls its head off)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

stealie72 posted:

My favorite one is about how it is impossible for a rich person to get into heaven.

No, you see The Eye of the Needle was a gate in Jerusalem, it was huge! You could fit so many camels through that bad boy.

I am good at Bible.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe he really is a free speech absolutist.

lmao

He's not, he's banned so many people on Twitter for clowning on him.

He's just dumb as a box full of dog poo poo, lol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ah, the rare defamation ourorboros, where you create grounds for a new lawsuit before finishing the first one, fascinating tactic by Rudy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Also can't be federally pardoned. He's stuck trying to legally evade this judgement for the rest of his life.

Good news for Rudy, with how far gone he is with alcoholic dementia, he won't be stuck with it for very long.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Even in the Trump infested wastelands of Upstate NY, I didn't hear white people casually throw around the N word like I did during my 2 days in Austin, the liberal Mecca of Texas.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gotta love how deregulation always works out for the little guy.

You don't even have to go back a full century for an empirical example of how government deregulation almost destroyed the country. I used to be close friends with a staunch libertarian type, and whenever I'd bring poo poo up about how miserable the early 20th century was, and how organizations like the USDA, FDA, EPA, and OSHA were founded in blood, and he'd just go "I dunno about that, but the free market solves all problems, have you read Atlas Shrugged yet?" I feel bad for all the people in Texas that know anything about history.

It's especially stupid, because since regulation of the national electric grid has actually improved massively since that giant blackout in the NE.

Anyways, in somewhat less lovely than normal news, Catholic Priests can now bless same-sex unions. I'd love to see more, of course, but it's a step in the right direction.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Contractor, all the self made man fallacy with none of the liberal education.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mappo posted:

To explain Texas power situation.

To expand on some of your points:

quote:

The rest of the US is on connected power grids and the different power companies are responsible for their part of the grid. If a powerline goes down or there is a power outage it's their job to fix it.
More importantly, being on the power grid means that power can be accessed across different states and companies.

This is kinda true, but kinda backwards. The TX power grid is isolated (with the exception of some western and northern bits, most notably El Paso) because it allows Texas utilities to be wholly free of Federal regulation, since NERC and FERC regulations only apply to utilities that do interstate commerce, i.e. every one tied to a major grid in the lower 48 outside of Texas. This was a deliberate move by the Texas utilities to avoid regulation and oversight. Regulation of power generation inside Texas falls to ERCOT, which serves the same purpose as FERC, but has significantly less stringent regulations for things like weather protection.

NERC is an industry group that sets standards, FERC is a Federal entity that regulates electric power generation and transmission, the two groups work hand in hand, with the former creating standards, and the latter adopting and enforcing them.

After the Northeast blackout of 2003, both entities have pursued much higher standards for grid reliability in the US, and currently they're at the forefront of doing things like setting standards for cyber and physical security at important generation and transmission sites.

quote:

. (Almost all powerplants operate about 50% regardless of what type of power plant they are, btw)

This is not true, baseline power generation (large installations in the 1000+MW range that can't be started or stopped easily, usually hydro, oil, coal, and nuclear) operate as close to a 100% capacity factor as possible, the only ones I'm intimately familiar with are nuclear plants, which start up to 100% power, then stay there until they shutdown for maintenance or refueling. Operating a steam-powered generator at less than 100% power is inefficient, and at grid scales 1-2% efficiency is a massive amount of money in terms of fuel.

Smaller "peaking" plants, usually combined cycle NG fired plants, will start and shutdown as necessary, and vary their output based on predicted and real demand, these plants also share capacity with renewables as necessary.

quote:

In Texas, power companies only operate the power plants. ERCOT is in charge of the powerlines, billing people, etc. These power companies can only sell their power to Texas. So they don't have a reason to invest a lot of money into extra power that will never get sold.

Texas has plenty of production capacity, what caused the winter blackout two years ago was that their infrastructure is fragile, and not winterized, largely because Texas generators operate in a less stringent regulatory environment.

Of course there's always PG&E to prove to us all that you can't relate away blatant malfeasance and incompetence.

quote:

TLDR; Texas is trying to blame power companies, when it's Texas who has put themselves in this position. Texas is hosed.

This is 100% true. Though, from what I've heard from my buddies who work in power generation in Texas, ERCOT is doing what FERC did in the wake of the 2003 blackout, which is strengthen both standards and enforcement, but the various energy companies in Texas have a ton of influence with the legislature, who ERCOT ultimately reports to, so who knows how that will go.

TL;DR: all utilities should be publicly owned and controlled, and tightly regulated.

E: fun fact, currently generators (meaning entities that run power plants, not the physical hardware) under 150kW have been exempt from Federal regulation... until next year, when they will be absolutely hosed, fortunately this is good for my "source"'s job security as a NERC/FERC compliance expert.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Time to give the unhoused shotguns.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I watched an Amazon driver hurl a package 15 feet from my driveway to my front door, banking it neatly off the door onto the welcome mat, it was really impressive and that guy should get a raise.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Or infidelity?

CO of a base I was at got canned for picking up a cop posing as a prostitute in his dress blues.

She supposedly tried to get him to just leave repeatedly, until he got aggressive with her and she was like "OK motherfucker"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I really wish some of these senior officer fucks would have some consequences for their actions once in awhile, but alas.

Do a cake job for a few years before getting retired at $63k+ a year with full bennies is sure a hell of a punishment.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 31, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Hell, these O-6 commanders being relived and told to retire likely still have 24 years in or something, so more like $93k/year plus benefits.

Someone walking out at O-5 and 20 years of service on the dot is looking at $64k/year.

My old skipper will hopefully be walked out as a 20 year O5, and that motherfucker caused $500M in damage to an irreplaceable asset, I was using that as the best case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh so he ran a high end brothel aground

My Spirit Otter posted:

its not a brothel if no ones paying

Absolutely perfect setup and shot, thank you both.