Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Based on Microcline's explanation I'm guessing that people who tend to rank more games on their GOTY list get matched more often than those who only list 5-6 each year.

Honestly I'm having a little trouble getting into it myself, as I've gotten older I've grown to dislike open world games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
drat I’ve already played all of Microline’s recommendations except for Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Which has just finished downloading :getin:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I write all the games I play down on a piece of paper. Then I put a little tick mark next to it if I've finished it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay but who doesn't like Doom (1993), my overlapping social group is literally everyone!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm okay with that though, talking to lots of different goons is really neat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only problem with the data's recommendations is it (very understandably) can't take into account honorable mentions as I've already played all but one of its recs, just didn't rate them on my lists.

But it is hilarious how its imagined social group consistently reflects my real life social group. Zaggitz and Regy best buds and gaming pals.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Microcline posted:

roomtwofifteen
Your closest match is Arist based on a shared interest in: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Citizen Sleeper, Persona 5, Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy VII Remake, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Your top 5 recommendations are: Elden Ring, Final Fantasy XIV, Disco Elysium, Hades, Metroid Dread

Lol played and loved all of these *except* FFXIV, which friends have been trying to get me to play for ages. I'm sure I'd love the story and world, I just can't get over MMO gameplay and monthly fees. I feel old because of it.

I keep a lot of lists so my 2024 is looking like this:

Currently playing
Baldur's Gate III
Alan Wake 2
Persona 5 Strikers

Things I need to get back to, in order of importance
Pentiment
Yakuza 4 to present
Trails in the Sky SC + series
Dishonored 2
Kentucky Route Zero
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Planescape: Torment
Manifold Garden
Tales of Arise (I want to like this but I just don't)

Things from this thread I want to play this year
AC6
Octopath II
Slay the Princess
Lies of P (apparently)
Star Ocean The Second Story R
Elsinore

Switch games in progress
SMT III Nocturne
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Okami
FFVIII Remastered
Metroid Prime Remastered

Please come out this year and soon
Silksong
Balatro

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Working on a personal top 50 games of all time list and really struggling to remember back to the old school mac gaming days lol. I'm sure there's games out there that I've spent significant time with that for the life of me I can't remember at all lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
GORILLA DOT BAS

GAME OF ALL TIME

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Working on a personal top 50 games of all time list and really struggling to remember back to the old school mac gaming days lol. I'm sure there's games out there that I've spent significant time with that for the life of me I can't remember at all lol

I have to recommend this book, it's so cool: Secret History of Mac Gaming

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

fridge corn posted:

Lode Runner
Carmen Sandiego
Prince of Persia

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

webmeister posted:

Lode Runner
Carmen Sandiego
Prince of Persia

I've already got two of those noted down :D

Never did play much of Lode Runner tho

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have to recommend this book, it's so cool: Secret History of Mac Gaming

drat that book looks so cool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fridge corn posted:

I've already got two of those noted down :D

Never did play much of Lode Runner tho

Marathon

whatever that overhead multiplayer tank game was

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Other old school mac games I'm considering for the list:

Mission Thunderbolt
Dark Castle
Glider
Kid Pix
Manhole

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

That was a really cool list Microcline! Thanks for putting that together. I haven't been able to check everyone who got matched with me, but your recs in my entry were spot on! Most of them are on my radar. Final Fantasy 15 (or 16? I lose track) I might have to wait on. I don't have a PlayStation. One of them I have played and love to death - Xenoblade! I saw you grabbed data from last year's lists which was a cool touch. If you'd gone back 2 years I'm almost positive Xenoblade would have been on there. I couldn't imagine not ranking it.

One of your reccs was a game I know nothing about! Psychonauts 2? Huh. I real quick looked it up and sure I like platformers. Maybe it would work on my Deck? As I said in my list, I'm looking for more games to play on Deck!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psychonauts 2 works on Deck, but apparently you have to do some fuckery for widescreen & proper control prompts

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I like to keep track of what I've read, watched, played etc. so last January I started my own backlog/game catalogue web app in Python (Django) as a way of getting into web dev. It can track individual sessions but currently all the tracking is manual. This is both good because I can track any platform and any game, but it's also bad due to the overhead. Right now there is no mobile app but I plan to learn to how make one.
I did something similar, but since web apps and mobile apps are anathema to me I ended up writing command line tools (actually wrappers around the Taskwarrior todo-list manager) for both books and games. I make no attempt to track time played, though, just the dates for "added to backlog" -> "started playing/reading" -> "done"; mostly I use it for writing down my thoughts about stuff I've finished (or DNFed), rummaging through my history for things to recommend to friends, and looking at long-term trends like "what breakdown of genres did I read this year".

It's also open-source but it's a huge mess that I wouldn't actually recommend. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SCORCHED. EARTH.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

Mysticblade
Your closest match is ChrisBTY based on a shared interest in: Pokemon Infinite Fusion, NEO: The World Ends With You, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Shin Megami Tensei V, Fire Emblem Engage
Your top 5 recommendations are: Octopath Traveler II, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Triangle Strategy

Never played, never played (any of the games in the series, actually), never played, finished, never played. 1/5, huh?

Jossar posted:

Hmmm...

I'm a big Runescape fan, though RS3 rather than OSRS, and have been eagerly following Sybot's Anbennar LP.

But not sure what it says that the metric seems a little too excited to try and get me into horror games.

Weirdly enough, this looks a lot like my list from last year. I think I'm the only one who put Shadowverse on their list this year, I put OSRS on my list this year and while I didn't put it on my list this year, I had Anbennar as #1 last year. Micro, is this using just data from this year or the previous year as well?

Can't explain the horror games, I don't play them though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The other cool resource for old mac games is this website: https://macintoshgarden.org/

quote:

Welcome to The Macintosh Garden

The Macintosh Garden is an abandonware archive, dedicated in particular to supporting the Macintosh computer platform. A notable feature of Macintosh Garden is its emphasis on emulation, encouraging users to run historical software on modern systems.

Software featured on the Macintosh Garden have been discontinued by their publishers and are no longer commercially available. The Macintosh Garden aims to preserve these treasures for future generations, providing documentation and downloads of the original files. With respect to copyright, non-qualifying applications / games are removed upon request and a link to the item's purchase page is provided.

You know it's a good website because its UI looks old and functional

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Belgian Waffle posted:

I'll contribute towards our journey to page 69 by begging shamelessly for a GOTY probe.

It's one of the few times I post every year, I may as well get something to remember it by.

mods...?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Microcline posted:

welcome
Your closest match is dreamless based on a shared interest in: Nobody Saves the World, Spelunky 2, Baba Is You, Loop Hero, Return of the Obra Dinn, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Outer Wilds, Inscryption, Celeste, Hades, Vampire Survivors
Your top 5 recommendations are: Elden Ring, Disco Elysium, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, CrossCode, Pentiment

Didn't play, won't play, bought but haven't played, downloaded but it left Gamepass, barely started. Pretty good, but it's funny that it recommended 3 GotY winners, 1 runner-up, and CrossCode.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

StrixNebulosa
Your closest match is sirtommygunn based on a shared interest in: DOOM (1993), Satisfactory, Return of the Obra Dinn, Final Fantasy XIV
Your top 5 recommendations are: Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Disco Elysium, A Hat in Time, Hades, West of Loathing

I enjoyed Yakuza 1 but not 0 and ADHDed my way away from 2. I'd like to return to the franchise at some point but no rush.

I don't enjoy Disco Elysium. It's well-written and clever and it's just not a game I mesh with?

I have no interest in Hat in Time.

Hades is pretty good but I really suck at it.

West of Loathing seems neat but I refuse to play it due to crimes by its dev.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly I've soured on West of Loathing even without the dev crimes.Its a relatively long comedy game without much variety to it's jokes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Microcline posted:

Endorph
Your closest match is Morphogenic96 based on a shared interest in: Yggdra Union, Super Robot Wars T, Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth, Blue Reflection: Second Light, Fire Emblem Engage, Super Robot Wars 30, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, The Great Ace Attorney, Hades
Your top 5 recommendations are: Triangle Strategy, Octopath Traveler II, Library of Ruina, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative

this is a well oiled machine cause ive already played all those and liked them

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My recommendations that I haven't played are Octopath 2, Breath of Fire 3, and Sea of Stars. The year of the RPG from Japan continues...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bolo
Myst
Escape Velocity

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The recommendations are really neat. The only one I haven't played yet though is Bg3 and that's on the docket later this year.

I really appreciate the effort though! Is it using prior year data? Kind of seems like it is but only people's top tens?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Microcline posted:

DemoneeHo
Your closest match is Help Im Alive based on a shared interest in: Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo, The House in Fata Morgana, Gnosia, AI: The Somnium Files, Guilty Gear Strive, Metroid Dread, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Resident Evil 2 (2019), Final Fantasy XIV, Outer Wilds, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, The Great Ace Attorney
Your top 5 recommendations are: Disco Elysium, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Baldur's Gate 3, Lies of P, Hitman 2 (2018)

Those recommendations are all games that I do actually wanna play and haven't yet, so thats pretty accurate.

How does everyone feel about Hitman 2? Better or worse than its prequel or sequel?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Microcline posted:

TriffTshngo
Your closest match is Jerusalem based on a shared interest in: Yakuza 5, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 0, Hitman 3, Yakuza 4, Spider-Man (2018), The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Disco Elysium, Control, Baldur's Gate 3, Resident Evil 2 (2019), Hades
Your top 5 recommendations are: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Mass Effect 2, Elden Ring, Timespinner

J-Ru is my kyodai.

As far as those recommendations: was already planning on XB3, played ME2 15 years ago, and I can never get into metroidvanias that aren't actually just Metroid, unfortunately, so I'm probably gonna pass on Timespinner. The other two... yeah that's not happening.

Interesting to see this kind of thing though. Mega props for the effort.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DemoneeHo posted:

Those recommendations are all games that I do actually wanna play and haven't yet, so thats pretty accurate.

How does everyone feel about Hitman 2? Better or worse than its prequel or sequel?

Hitman 2 is so bad it got delisted :v:

(It's a good game, mostly for refining and polishing the mechanics of the 2016 game, but you can only play it as part of World of Assassination now)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

all of the new Hitman games own extremely a lot

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah, Hitman 1, 2, and 3 (the new trilogy, 2016 onward) all used the same mechanics and gameplay style as a base and the levels from 1 were playable in 2, and both again in 3, so they eventually just rebranded the client for 3 to be a big umbrella for all of the maps and all the bonus stuff and extra modes they've been putting out since. They're all real good.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The data is obviously flawed because it should recommend Octopath Traveler 2 to everyone.

There was just an awesome 90-minute speedrun of it at AGDQ where the runner beat the secret extra boss blindfolded. You can even watch it without spoiling anything because the run completely skips 99% of the story.

teo4512
Jun 27, 2023

Microcline posted:

teo4512
Your closest match is Argona based on a shared interest in: Astlibra Revision, The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane, Void Stranger
Your top 5 recommendations are: 30XX, Dead Cells, Afterimage, Perfect Tides, Patrick's Parabox

A bit off for me unfortunately. 30XX and Dead Cells have never really seemed appealing to me. While I know of Afterimage I've not been in a metroidvania mood lately but maybe one day.
I never heard of Perfect Tides before (either that or I overlooked all discussion about it). It seems like it could be fun but I'd rather wait a bit before picking another story-focused game that may explore a character's personal issues immediately after playing In Stars and Time last week.
Patrick's Parabox pretty much hits the bullseye but I already played it.

Still, that's a pretty interesting set of data to analyse I must say.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ToxicFrog posted:

I did something similar, but since web apps and mobile apps are anathema to me I ended up writing command line tools (actually wrappers around the Taskwarrior todo-list manager) for both books and games. I make no attempt to track time played, though, just the dates for "added to backlog" -> "started playing/reading" -> "done"; mostly I use it for writing down my thoughts about stuff I've finished (or DNFed), rummaging through my history for things to recommend to friends, and looking at long-term trends like "what breakdown of genres did I read this year".

It's also open-source but it's a huge mess that I wouldn't actually recommend. :v:

I've started cobbling things together on the command line but I couldn't push it past a toy phase. Django being ancient and super reliable is very helpful for someone just starting out as I can avoid some costly mistakes upfront, and fix the small mistakes as I learn more.

It's really interesting seeing all the various ways how people approach their backlog, from just a vague pressure in the back of their mind to obsessively categorizing everything in a spreadsheet and everything in between.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Booky posted:

and thats so many rpgs....!!!
i like majin tensei a lot but its objectively, pretty janky.

It's running into two limitations here. The first is that there are a few games here like Undertale (2015), Stardew Valley (2016), and Breath of the Wild (2017) that don't tell much about a user (because everyone has played them) but the recommender thinks are mutual niche interests. The second is that if there isn't a backbench of 3-5 good matched users it tends to result in one person yelling their favorite sicko games.

Lavatein posted:

Oh hey, I guess that's almost my name!

I noticed the buddy data included games I voted for last year as well but still couldn't match me with anyone. Does that mean my total 20 choices had no matches even combining everyone elses votes over the 2 years? (i.e. nobody in 2023 voted for my 2022 picks, and vice versa)

I had you misspelled in a previous year so you matched with your past self over Dance Cube. Here's the corrected version:

Lavatein
Your closest match is Lonegar based on a shared interest in: Higurashi When They Cry
Your top 5 recommendations are: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Wooden Ocean, Trails to Azure, Lenna's Inception, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

It still probably doesn't have a great read though as none of the matches share more than one game in common and FFVIIR is the only recommendation by more than one person. It also shows how the "strongest match" doesn't always determine the recommendations (especially when all 10 of the matches are fairly weak) as Lonegar hasn't listed any of those.

exquisite tea posted:

Based on Microcline's explanation I'm guessing that people who tend to rank more games on their GOTY list get matched more often than those who only list 5-6 each year.

It's using everything from 2018-2023 so some users are matching on as many as 60 games. This makes them overrepresented but also makes them fairly reliable at giving and receiving recommendations because both matches and recommendations are based on multiple hits. Next year I'll probably make the script a bit more verbose with things like how much data it has from a given user, how strong the matches/recommendations are, and who's contributing to each recommendation

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, you'd probably only enjoy Prey if you like games that are just goddamn excellent and an absolute blast to play, and make your life better for having experienced them.

Sounds like poo poo!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fuuuuck. now you just took me back.