Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fate/Samurai Remnant

Released in the September of 2023, Fate/Samurai Remnant is a game made by Omega Force and published by KoeiTecmo, working in collaboration with the company Type-Moon upon whom the world-building and other writing largely relies with their substantial Fate franchise. Ostensibly an action RPG, it has strong Musou blood running in its veins (think Dynasty Warriors-style combat) but oddly enough also has a vibe similar to that of a Yakuza title (without quite as much side-content).

In Fate/Samurai Remnant you play as Miyamoto Iori, the adopted son of the famed swords-master Miyamoto Musashi. The relative peace of the city of Edo, Japan is shattered as a great magical ritual is performed. Seven individuals are selected as Masters to battle one another till only one is left standing, and to aid them each is granted a heroic spirit of humanity's history as a Servant who wield incredible powers beyond mortal limitations. Iori's belief in the Way of Peace is put to the test as he attempts to bring the Waxing Moon Ritual to an end, aided by the mysterious warrior summoned to his side known as Saber.

Fate/Samurai Remnant is a fairly large game, with multiple endings and additional story elements unlocked in new game+, and it is the intent of this Let's Play to show all of that off. There is also a season pass promising three DLCs over the course of 2024 that claim to be quite substantial in their own right and we plan to show those off whenever they come out too. In this endeavour I am joined by my buddy Coolguye and he comes from the perspective of knowing next to nothing about the Fate franchise, so as the game goes along we'll be doing our best to break down a lot of what goes on in this setting as the game itself lays it out for us.

For those who are fans of Fate this is another nice piece of the brand, and for those completely unfamiliar with the setting the game is actually a pretty nice way to dip one's toes into what is quite a deep and sometimes convoluted franchise with a rather significant amount of material published for it in a lot of mediums. We hope you enjoy it!

:siren: As a general rule for spoilers the usual caveat of don't talk about it if it hasn't happened applies, as well as if you think you need to put it in spoiler tags to talk about it, don't talk about it. In this case I would also like to add another one to the mix so as to remove all ambiguity. Do not say the True Name of a Servant until the game chooses to reveal it. I know some Servants that appear in Samurai Remnant have appeared in other Fate properties (multiple times, even) so the average fan likely instantly recognises them, but I'd still like the surprise to be kept in pace with the game for anyone who isn't so knowledgeable (Coolguye in particular).

I also understand Fate is a franchise with far more than just this one game attached to it and the franchise as a whole really enjoys being self-referential, so in that particular case where you discuss other Fate properties please use spoiler tags for the benefit of anyone who much think of getting into the franchise based on this game, and be aware if something you're going to post about some other Fate property might spoil something happening in this Let's Play. Thank you. :siren:

Episodes
Episode 1 – The Waxing Moon Ritual
Episode 2 - The Crimson Codex
Episode 3 - Blundering Through the Flowerbed
Episode 4 - Demonic Revelry
Episode 5 - A Journey of a Thousand Miles
Episode 6 - The Victor Controls His Opponent
Episode 7 - To Be Shrewd or Regal?
Episode 8 - Cascading Gouts of Blood
Episode 9 - Surging Waves
Episode 10 - Keeping Busy
Episode 11 - Ensnare the Furtive Serpent
Episode 12 - Crimson Light Piercing the Earth
Episode 13 - Enthralled By Your Radiance
Episode 14 - Drawn Ever Southwards
Episode 15 - Along the Coast Do We Enounter
Episode 16 - Berserker Banquet
Episode 17 - Tis Now the Time to Finish This
Episode 18 - Hidden Influences
Episode 19: Writhing in Moonlight
Episode 20 - ...And into the Fire
Episode 21 - Leaves Hold Firm Against the Wind
Episode 22 - What Lies In One's Depths
Episode 23 - All-Consuming Flames of Anguish
Episode 24 - The Gods Stir

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kawaraban
Dotted through each major location of Samurai Remnant are little lore snippets, based on a form of newsletter in Japan. We'll be listing them here mostly because they're neat and are about the only piece of information the game gives you that isn't a partial reveal or a complete bamboozle. Due to the nature of how the game displays this stuff it's easier to just type it out than try to paste a bunch of images together.

Issue 1: Asakusa posted:

Try the Ise Special, Honeyed Rice Cakes!
With the delicious aroma of rice, a hardy crunch, and a sweetness that fills the mouth, the Honeyed Rice Cake is Available in Asakusa for the first time ever!
Said to have been first sold in the town outside of Ise Shrine by an official of Kinoshita, this snack has a light flavor that will appeal to people of all ages and really sticks to the ribs.
Could something that good truly exist, you ask? If you don't believe it, come line up at a food stall in Asakusa and see for yourself. But beware, you may find yourself drawn to Senso-ji every day for another bite!

Issue 2: Asakusa posted:

Who Dwells in the Haunted House?
Set on a back street in the residential area of Asakusa, this "haunted house" doesn't have a single ghost inside. But it's so shabby that the house itself might turn into a ghost!
Rumours say that a young man started living in this ramshackle, old house not too long ago, so I asked around to see what kind of weirdo this guys is. Inside there's apparently a book that can fly, the laughing voice of a girl that shouldn't be there, and the sounds of swinging swords night after night...
Maybe I shouldn't have asked in the first place! Well, I certainly won't be going near that spooky place again.

Issue 3: Yoshiwara posted:

Takao Dayu the 2nd, a Femme Fatale?
Though not spoken of outside the gates, rumors stirring in Yoshiwara say a lord drew his sword on Takao Dayu for not bending to his will.
True or not, there is no shortage of jealous fools who would spread lies about the number on courtesan of Yoshiwara. On the other hand, some lords are so obsessed with Dayu that they'd happily empty their coffers for her.
With news of another family scandal involving the pleasure quarter recently making the rounds in Edo, it might be best to take drinking and women in moderation - fly too close to the sun and you might get burned.

Issue 4: Okachimachi posted:

Soldiers on the Road to Success
Do you ever wonder when the area south of Kan'ei-ji, situated on the north-east of Edo Castle, earned the name Okachimachi, 'Soldier Town'? The origin of the name is clear enough - it refers to the many residences in the area for low-ranking samurai foot soldiers. But did you know other people live there as well?
There's the Osakite-gumi, in charge of Edo Castle's security and keeping the peace around town (and who are hated for the rough attitudes and eagerness to draw their swords), and the mounted Goshoinban-gumi, who act as guards for the Shogun and are galloping full speed towards promotion.
It might not be obvious based on their dress, but you'll surely be able to tell which group they belong to by the look on their faces. I'd avoid going near the Osakite-gumi if I were you.

Issue 6: Suidobashi posted:

Clean Water Thanks to the Waterworks
Our thirsts are quenched by virtue of the Kanda Waterworks, which draws water from Inokashira Pond and brings it straight to Edo.
It evidently used to be called Koishikawa Waterworks long ago when they drew water from the Koishikawa River. In any case, water shortages continue to grow as the number of people living in Edo increases. Every resident in Edo must have wondered at least once what would happen if a big fire broke out...
Fortunately, the authorities have plans for a new waterworks. It seems they intend to draw water from the Tamagawa in the west and send it all the way to Okido in Yotsuya. Construction could get started as early as next year, and that would certainly take a load off many minds.

Issue 7: Torikoe posted:

A Prince Enshrined
South of Asakusa stands the Torikoe Shrine. The principal deity is the ancient hero Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, after whom the shrine's old name, Shiratori, 'White Birds,' was apparently taken.
Just between you and me, but before the illustrious Ieyasu began his rule in Edo, the entirety of Asakusa running along Sumidagawa belongs to the shrine. Afterwards, Mount Torikoe was leveled, and all the ponds were filled in to build the Asakusa rice granaries. And of the three shrines that used to be here, this last remaining one is said to have only been spared due to the desperate pleas of the head priest. The government might have needed the land, but there's still something sad about it all.
It'd be nice if they held a big festival like Kanda Shrine does. We'd need a flashy portable shrine to match that Edo spirit!

Issue 9: Yanagiware posted:

Yanagawara Protects Edo from Ogres
Did you know there's a place full of willows along the Kanda River called Yanagiwara Embankment? Apparently those willows were planted around two hundred years ago. That's all the way back when Ota Douken had the old Edo Castle built!
Looking from the castle, that embankment would be to the northeast - an unlucky direction of evil spirits. Yanagimori Shrine was supposedly built there to welcome the Fushimi Inari deity all the way from Kyoto, and the willow trees were planted to ward off evil.
Willows don't break under the wind, so we humans should also learn to bend like the willow tree.

Issue 11 posted:

Look Who's Strutting Around Akasaka
In Akasaka, the famed Kii Tokugawa family owns a spare residence in one of the best housing areas in Edo. Those of you in the know might have heard this already, but a group of Chinese are staying there. Even more, there seems to be some bigwig named Koxinga among them. He's apparently called that because he was permitted to use the same family name as the Ming Emperor. Of course, Koxinga isn't actually the emperor's name; that word means something like 'Lord of the Imperial Surname.'
I don't know if this has anything to do with this particular gentleman, but there are rumors in Akasaka that a flute can be heard playing in the Chinese residence on nights when the moon is beautiful. They say the flutist must be a strikingly beautiful woman or man. If it's true, I'd like to take a look for myself.

Issue 12: Nihonbashi posted:

Whitebait or Kudzutai?
Have you ever visited Uogashi in Nihonbashi? Fish, fish, and more fish line the stores from front to back. Just one look will have you smacking your lips.
What draws the most eyes, though, is either the beautifully translucent whitebait or the sea bream with its shiny scales. Both used to be luxury items that us commoners could never eat.
When the great Ieyasu was still around, catching whitebait for any purpose other than offering them to the Shogun was forbidden. Sea bream caught using special fishing nets made in Futtsu were called Kudzutai and became offerings to the Shogun as well.
Now that such delicacies have become available to folks like us, I'd say things have changed for the better.

Issue 13: Akasaka posted:

Three Thousand Monks Gather at Zojo-ji
Though famous for Lord Hidetada's grave, Zojo-ji is reportedly more important amongst trainee monks for its status as the first entry on a list of eighteen temples, called Kanto Danrin, where they can train. That would make Zojo-ji the most important temple in eastern Japan.
You should go see for yourself sometime, but Zojo-ji is surrounded by small wood-shingled dwellings that the monks use for their dormitories. There's said to be over a hundred cabins and around the same number of temples. I hired a bored fellow to count the number of monks there, but he gave up after going past three thousand.

Issue 14: Shinagawa posted:

Shinagawa, Lovely in Every Season
If Nihonbashi is the beginning of the Tokaido Highway, then Shinagawa is the first post station. Many travelers visit the sprawling town that stretches in both directions down the road, and daimyo on their way to and from Edo customarily stay at the Shinagawa Inns. Moreover, the scenery can be enjoyed across all four seasons, so Edo's citizens also have fond memories of their own.
Spring brings us the cherry blossoms of Gotenyama. In the summer, people gather on the night of July 26th to watch the moon for Tenno Festival. Kaian-ji becomes a vibrant sea of red leaves in the fall. And in winter, you can enjoy the bounties of the sea. I think you, dear reader, must have been to Shinagawa several times already, yes?
That reminds me, execution grounds have been built nearby at Suzugamori. It still hasn't been used yet, but I wonder who will be the first to lose their life there...

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 23, 2024

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A severe understatement

Yeah, we'll definitely get into talking about just how much stuff has been done for this franchise over the years whenever we get a chance.

Whammiewazzle posted:

I had only played the two Musou like Fate gates from Marvelous before playing this one, so I'm happy to watch someone with more Fate knowledge play through it. Also, for anyone thinking of playing this themselves, don't start on hard difficulty like I did, the amount of increased damage enemies do is insane.

The best part is the hardest difficulty doesn't unlock till you've beaten the game once.

Jossar posted:

As somebody who used to be a really big Fate fan but has been out of the loop for a few years, this seems like a fun way to get back into it. Will be watching with interest.

Hunt11 posted:

Should be fun watching series newcomers and old hands react to this game.

McTimmy posted:

It's wild coming back every so often to check out what's shaking.

Yeah, I feel like this is kind of the perfect game to get a good showing of the franchise since it's very respectful towards the original work of Fate/Stay Night but also a few other works like Extra and Grand Order. All the while being its own thing and its own things really standing out on their own feet.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's kind of weird to have him fight on the same level as a servant in the beginning, I guess Saber was conserving strength for the actual fight?

I think it's more just gameplay fiat where they didn't want to make it a case of the player being able to exploit their invincible partner doing way more damage to do all the work for them.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren:Update time!:siren:

Episode 2 - The Crimson Codex

After a little bit of a dramatic ending to the last episode, we pick up with an explanation of what the ominously named Waxing Moon Ritual is.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah, the guessing part of the servants is one of my favourite parts of the franchise. The other favourite parts involving someone with a sword laser beam a building in half, and someone from ancient times eating a hamburger.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

There's something beautiful about an explanation delivered in orbit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Should I describe the difference between Magecraft and Magic, or would that be spoilers?

I kinda already did in the first episode. It's very much the shortest explanation possible when I did it but honestly the game never goes into the big weird stuff like The Root and so forth.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well, we can probably save magic chat for a little bit yet since later on it'll become more relevant.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm obfuscating like a CHAMPION.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Episode 3 - Blundering Through the Flowerbed

With a bottomless chasm to feed now, Iori sets off for Yoshiwara in the hope that a bodyguard job will net him some rice-and-miso money.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Unless I'm missing something, the original F/SN isn't on Steam. Is there anywhere else to pick it up?

Wish I could tell ya, but I got no idea. I think you're probably going to have to go digging through fan translation stuff to get it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tarezax posted:

On the Kaminarimon - the area is definitely still called Asakusa. Asakusa Station is literally a block away from that gate

Yeah, I've realised that and corrected myself in a future episode. Then I go rooting around in tourism blogs and learn most of the places are still named as such.

Edit: Oh and I should probably mention I've added the Kawaraban we've picked up to lore post I set up. I was kind of initially torn on how I would do things like character profiles by and large because of the importance of many identities being kept hidden for so long, so it kind of rode the line of being unimportant or being massive spoilers. So instead I'm going with the Kawaraban because they give you stuff that supplies some background to the setting without really diving into spoilers.

Gonna just add them here as well for those not inclined to read those posts:

Issue 1: Asakusa posted:

Try the Ise Special, Honeyed Rice Cakes!
With the delicious aroma of rice, a hardy crunch, and a sweetness that fills the mouth, the Honeyed Rice Cake is Available in Asakusa for the first time ever!
Said to have been first sold in the town outside of Ise Shrine by an official of Kinoshita, this snack has a light flavor that will appeal to people of all ages and really sticks to the ribs.
Could something that good truly exist, you ask? If you don't believe it, come line up at a food stall in Asakusa and see for yourself. But beware, you may find yourself drawn to Senso-ji every day for another bite!

Issue 2: Asakusa posted:

Who Dwells in the Haunted House?
Set on a back street in the residential area of Asakusa, this "haunted house" doesn't have a single ghost inside. But it's so shabby that the house itself might turn into a ghost!
Rumours say that a young man started living in this ramshackle, old house not too long ago, so I asked around to see what kind of weirdo this guys is. Inside there's apparently a book that can fly, the laughing voice of a girl that shouldn't be there, and the sounds of swinging swords night after night...
Maybe I shouldn't have asked in the first place! Well, I certainly won't be going near that spooky place again.

Issue 3: Yoshiwara posted:

Takao Dayu the 2nd, a Femme Fatale?
Though not spoken of outside the gates, rumors stirring in Yoshiwara say a lord drew his sword on Takao Dayu for not bending to his will.
True or not, there is no shortage of jealous fools who would spread lies about the number on courtesan of Yoshiwara. On the other hand, some lords are so obsessed with Dayu that they'd happily empty their coffers for her.
With news of another family scandal involving the pleasure quarter recently making the rounds in Edo, it might be best to take drinking and women in moderation - fly too close to the sun and you might get burned.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 22, 2023

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm a bit more careful at the moment in regards to Fate-posting in Coolguye's direction because while I know what's currently in F/SR there's apparently three whole big DLCs coming the entirety of this year so I don't know who is getting added and I don't want to spoil the guessing games.

Also as a Christmas present they updated the game this week, adding two more difficulty modes (I think an extremely easy one and extremely hard one?) and a new function to a feature we won't be seeing for quite a while so look forwards to that!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Episode 4 - Demonic Revelry

This one's very exposition heavy to start, but at the end we'll have all we need in order to appropriately go out stabbing our enemies in confidence in this Waxing Moon Ritual. Perhaps now these two clowns will start taking this whole battle to the death thing more seriously?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Draga posted:

I noticed you mentioned "the late writer of Type Moon" when talking about Musashi, but Nasu ain't dead last time I checked,

I actually said "lead writer" on that one!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Valgaav posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't actually mention Rogue Berserker's True Name during the mainline quest of the game at all...

Tarezax posted:

They definitely do but it might be contingent on finishing all his sidestories

It will be revealed in time, that I can guarantee!

Tarezax posted:

One small detail of note is that at the end of the previous episode, Takao Dayu spoke rather formally in a courtesan dialect. For this conversation, she's entirely dropped it and speaks casually.

They really do nail mannerisms of speech and action in this game really well, having Coolguye around to point out the Japanese word usage/context is enhancing my re-experience.

Whammiewazzle posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find the fifth shrine considering where it is.

Something to note about the Mad Enhancement communication issues, even if all they do is yell and grunt they may still be trying to say something articulate. Fate/Extella's Berserker side story was mostly there to show what he was trying to say behind the grunts during the main story.

Yeah, it's not to say that a Berserker is an incomprehensible mess of violence that you can never understand, it's perhaps more that understanding is much more difficult (and if you manage to achieve it you've done well).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well, they just added Saber to Fate/Grand Order in Japan with more to come later in January with a collab, but more importantly the first DLC for Fate/Samurai Remnant is coming out in February. I have no idea where this DLC will sit in regards to the rest of the game so I have no idea how I'll be incorporating it into the LP pray for me the game has already forced me to wipe my save game files once.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Always gacha with your eyes closed, it's what I do.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kou Shibusawa's name being attached to Samurai Remnant was one of those things that made me sit up and take notice. Before I realised he was in there I was just expecting a straight up "cutscene before, run around a battlefield killing enemies, cutscene after" style musou (which I enjoy, mind), but what we got was so much more. For me at least, the game leans into being much more like Yakuza in its style than it does a straight musou.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Update time! :siren:

Episode 5 - A Journey of a Thousand Miles

When a lady with two berserkers tells you to go find out some intel for her, you definitely go do that. Iori and Saber have a name and now they have to figure out what that name means in Edo. They might not like what their investigation will turn up.

Kawaraban Issue 4: Okachimachi posted:

Soldiers on the Road to Success
Do you ever wonder when the area south of Kan'ei-ji, situated on the north-east of Edo Castle, earned the name Okachimachi, 'Soldier Town'? The origin of the name is clear enough - it refers to the many residences in the area for low-ranking samurai foot soldiers. But did you know other people live there as well?
There's the Osakite-gumi, in charge of Edo Castle's security and keeping the peace around town (and who are hated for the rough attitudes and eagerness to draw their swords), and the mounted Goshoinban-gumi, who act as guards for the Shogun and are galloping full speed towards promotion.
It might not be obvious based on their dress, but you'll surely be able to tell which group they belong to by the look on their faces. I'd avoid going near the Osakite-gumi if I were you.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 4, 2024

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

One thing I've been wondering about Saber is why her sword has that wavy/flame-bladed motif. Isn't that primarily a thing with archipelagic SE Asia, eg the kalis or the keris? (Or is it just "everybody gets anime weapons, deal with it"?)

It's a reference to the element of water that Saber controls, protecting the sword's true identity from being discovered and revealing its wielder's identity in turn. Fate/Stay Night did a similar thing, albeit with "wind" hiding the sword to make it look invisible.

Jossar posted:

Funny that you guys talked about Makai Tensho, as the Fate universe has a pretty complete homage to it (in Fate/Grand Order), right down to the main villain wielding DARK JESUIT SORCERY. Pretty sure none of it's going to apply to this story directly though.

Yeah, I didn't end up getting a chance to talk about Shimousa cause we shifted gears, but I figure I'll have chances later since there's lots of little stuff from there that's adjacent to what's going on in a lot of little symbolic ways, but largely because Shimousa was already a Makai Tensho homage there's no need to do it again and this story thankfully goes its own way.

Whammiewazzle posted:

If the killing blow was dealt with one of Saber's solo Affinity Techniques it will count towards Sabers kills for unlocking stuff.

Of that I had no doubt, I meant more when Saber teleports in and finishes off a combo for you and it just happens to kill someone. I will never find this out because I will never stop to check anyway so I will assume it is a mystery not for mortals such as I.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Update! :siren:

Episode 6 - The Victor Controls His Opponent

Time to learn what all this ley-line malarky is all about. Sounds like a whole lot of not wielding swords to Iori so it might take him some time to get used to one of Edo's biggest features. But he's going to need to master it if he's going to overcome his opponents in this fierce Waxing Moon Ritual. Luckily(?) he's about to make a new friend in this particular excursion.

Kawaraban Issue 6: Suidobashi posted:

Clean Water Thanks to the Waterworks
Our thirsts are quenched by virtue of the Kanda Waterworks, which draws water from Inokashira Pond and brings it straight to Edo.
It evidently used to be called Koishikawa Waterworks long ago when they drew water from the Koishikawa River. In any case, water shortages continue to grow as the number of people living in Edo increases. Every resident in Edo must have wondered at least once what would happen if a big fire broke out...
Fortunately, the authorities have plans for a new waterworks. It seems they intend to draw water from the Tamagawa in the west and send it all the way to Okido in Yotsuya. Construction could get started as early as next year, and that would certainly take a load off many minds.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Also I think YT recommended the trailer for the first DLC earlier thanks to this. Didn't watch but I'm pretty sure I recognised the face on the thumbnail. :v:

My biggest fear has been demonstration videos of Saber in FGO True Naming the hell out of them for the audience being listed in the recommendations (and more when the collab event kicks off sometime in the next week or so). Said host of the DLC is getting introduced next video, at least!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

...that is actually a very valid application of the Rider class.

"Carry me please it's my servant class" is a powerful argument.

glocknar posted:

Aria is such a goddamn treat. She is derp, helpful, and cute. The main reason she is mostly buffs instead of using that sword of hers? As shown in the anime adaptation, she wears it so its to far for her to reach the hilt! She even chases after it like a dog while making cute noises:roflolmao:!

That entire New Years broadcast was incredible and the animated sequences were cute as hell and incredibly on point in being in character. A lot of people really fell for Aria thanks to that sequence.

Runa posted:

We do live in a golden age of tea

Yet sadly we have missed the age of wabi-sabi.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Episode! :siren:

Episode 7 - To Be Shrewd or Regal?

Boss.

Kawaraban Issue 7: Torikoe posted:

A Prince Enshrined
South of Asakusa stands the Torikoe Shrine. The principal deity is the ancient hero Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, after whom the shrine's old name, Shiratori, 'White Birds,' was apparently taken.
Just between you and me, but before the illustrious Ieyasu began his rule in Edo, the entirety of Asakusa running along Sumidagawa belongs to the shrine. Afterwards, Mount Torikoe was leveled, and all the ponds were filled in to build the Asakusa rice granaries. And of the three shrines that used to be here, this last remaining one is said to have only been spared due to the desperate pleas of the head priest. The government might have needed the land, but there's still something sad about it all.
It'd be nice if they held a big festival like Kanda Shrine does. We'd need a flashy portable shrine to match that Edo spirit!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The inscriptions on the dousojin just say "dousojin". Sounds goofy, but not unusual in real life, from what I can see online. In fact, the model in-game looks like it might be based specifically on one of the photos on Wikipedia.

I do wonder how many of them are left, now that I think about it.

Jossar posted:

Glad that Boss is showing off his nicer side in this game, given that he can vary... wildly across the franchise.

Yeah, we'll be sure to discuss that once Coolguy manages to guess right (I have absolute faith in him (dwindling)) cause Boss is one of those characters that has been across no small number of FATE related media.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The phrase "when Grail Wars get out of hand" implies that they are at any point in-hand. This seems to be very rarely the case.

When it's dire, it's dire.

Whammiewazzle posted:

Being the stubborn idiot that I am, I did that Berserker fight as soon as it became available. On hard mode just him grabbing you for the slam dunk will take off 90% of your health, giving you an agonizingly small window to heal to full before he dunks you.

I was super tempted to do that but decided against it for the reasons you listed! Still very scary even at the point I was at, which is definitely intended.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I want to see the story about The One Holy Grail War That Was Normal.

That might be the grail war that establishes Fate/Grand Order because it's one of the few where someone clearly won, and both Master and Servant got their wish. I imagine a lot of people still died, mind you.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I’m surprised Boss is willing to let you actually buy things from him. Wouldn’t selling an item imply that it now belongs to you and not to him?

He has granted you the opportunity to bow down to his magnanimity, I would recommend using it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Episode! :siren:

Episode 8 - Cascading Gouts of Blood

Iori and Saber are ready to go investigate Yui Shousetsu's Academy, but there's someone in need of their support who will aid them in turn. They're going to need to that help as well, as the fight to reach Shousetsu's headquarters turns into quite an incredible brawl.

On a personal level, I really REALLY enjoy this part of the game. A lot happens, and you're given a lot of fun new things to play with.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

"flame country stranger"???

Flame Foreign Country, apparently. Not that it really comes across as any more coherent. Maybe we can get Lancer a cowboy hat and guitar for the Flame Country Stranger Noble Phantasm though.

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate that Heroic Spirits are these mighty, worldly, unflappable beings, but I feel like underneath the hypercompetent living legend facade a lot of them in situations like this are thinking "oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo, who the gently caress is this new rear end in a top hat, wait there are people that can DO that!? I am so screwed oh my god"

If there's one thing mythology teaches us, Heroes are gently caress-ups of the highest order but some are definitely more confident about winging it through their gently caress-ups than others.

Jossar posted:

Yeah, definitely a real cluster at the end there.

Shei-kun posted:

Holy poo poo that episode went places at the end and just kept accelerating.

One of my favourite things in fiction is when someone's attack hits so hard the person blocking it has the ground beneath their feet crumble and sink so as you can imagine Rogue Saber's introduction made me very happy.

FractalSandwich posted:

Is translating the word 結界 kekkai as "bounded field" rather than the more natural "barrier" an established thing in Fate? The only other place I've ever seen that is in dodgy Touhou fan-translations from like 10 years ago.

As far as I'm aware it is, or at least it's how they do it in FGO and I don't recall for the other stuff.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 26, 2024

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

But does their S-Blade have a hack blood charge

They dual wield both good and evil versions of Excalibur so they definitely have Zane energy to them.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

if it had a preposition it would work much better, adding one lil word would change it to "flame of/from a foreign country" and that would at least mean something

It definitely feels like a rule of cool sort of thing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bless you.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Giant Boat Alert! :siren:

Episode 9 - Surging Waves

We left the last chapter on a bit of a cliffhanger but now it's time for a whole lot of talking, and the introduction of some new characters in the process. There's some fun history at play here, which will likely get even funnier with more characters introduced later.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Congrats Coolguy on figuring out Boss. I spent the entire episode listening to you two geek out on romance of the three kingdom and it was super neat. I know nothing about it. Never even played dynasty warriors.

The historical side of it is pretty interesting in seeing how it all developed, while the dramatization of it is really great cause it makes everyone fairly compelling characters with extremely distinct motivations. Liu Bei loving SUCKS.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

so what i'm gathering is that the Oliver Queen from the Arrow tv show would be an Archer, but specifically because in most of the fights he's hitting people with his bow or stabbing mooks with his arrows

The logic checks out.

Coolguye posted:

also this yes. the historical side of the Three Kingdoms period is amazing, and the dramatization is equally as amazing, for completely separate reasons. the moors of chinese storytelling at the time make it very natural for Liu Bei to be the "good guy", and for Cao Cao to be the "bad guy", when really from a modern western perspective, closer to the opposite is true.

not that Cao Cao is a "good guy" in the modern western trope, either. he's a very complex man both historically and dramatically, and ultimately there's a reason his dynasty didn't last beyond his son. we touched on very similar dynamics both in this LP and the Nioh one with regard to Oda Nobunaga. there's a LOT of thematic parallels between the two men the more you read about them.

Cao Cao might be one of the funniest sneaky bastards I've ever read about. The man's capacity for shenanigans was endless, but Zhou Yu's ability to see right through him was also extremely impressive and the pay-off shows quite dramatically.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

Hey it wasn't mentioned that I saw but I think it's worth mentioning here: the original FSN is getting an official English release/a remaster for Steam and Switch! Coming this year, supposedly.

That's a pretty good video game if you haven't played it!!!!

Yeah, we actually have an episode recorded where I remark that we're at the 20th anniversary and everyone's expecting a remake of some description, and afterwards Coolguye told me he sort of silently scoffed at the notion, and then the next day it was announced. This also happened with the Squats in 40K.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: A fox is approaching your house :siren:

Episode 10 - Keeping Busy

Iori's secret workshop is the world's least secret workshop, and literally everyone visits it constantly.

Kawaraban Issue 11 posted:

Look Who's Strutting Around Akasaka
In Akasaka, the famed Kii Tokugawa family owns a spare residence in one of the best housing areas in Edo. Those of you in the know might have heard this already, but a group of Chinese are staying there. Even more, there seems to be some bigwig named Koxinga among them. He's apparently called that because he was permitted to use the same family name as the Ming Emperor. Of course, Koxinga isn't actually the emperor's name; that word means something like 'Lord of the Imperial Surname.'
I don't know if this has anything to do with this particular gentleman, but there are rumors in Akasaka that a flute can be heard playing in the Chinese residence on nights when the moon is beautiful. They say the flutist must be a strikingly beautiful woman or man. If it's true, I'd like to take a look for myself.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Aria's thing of coming around to the workshop is an entire arc that builds up to something and it's certainly the most Aria thing. You're going to love her next request.