Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Imo Cloud of Daggers is really only good in narrow spaces. Your foes aren't dumb, they'll go right around it if they can. Hunger of Hadar and Cloudkill have the luxury of being fuckhuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone been crashing to desktop since the latest update? I've had to re-validate 3 times now in the past 48 hours and it's getting old.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Command: Drop or Disarming Attack will let you wipe Anders, paladins can't smite crap without a weapon. Can be a risky fight but worth it for the sword if you're using Lae'zel. Probably one of the safer options at Level 3.

Command: Drop is good for 100% of the game and will help you steamroll the Gnolls, Githyanki, and pretty much any encounter as long as the target doesn't save. You can save yourself so much misery by simply disarming every threat.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I used to be in the "Warlocks suck" camp until I learned about Hunger of Hadar and how it can shut down huge groups. Also punting two enemies at once is nice.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Well lol Shadowheart is fukken DEAD in this run because I spent all my inspiration points trying to tell the duergar historian in Grymforge that "a monster was here" and got that camp scene immediately after. Honor Mode is so real for that, honestly. I'm curious what Act 2 is going to be like now when all my characters are staring at stuff in the Sharran Temple like "yup, that sure is a thing."

What exactly happens here? Does the friendly dwarf archaeologist stab her in her sleep or something for spoonfeeding him bullshit?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I bought BG3 months ago, and I have yet to play it. It's a combination of being nervous trying a new genre, being distracted by other games, and various other daily poo poo. Gonna pull the band-aid and get this going.

So I want to start with a custom character, but I have no clue on what to choose, and I want you all to pick.

Note that I never played an RPG like Baldur's Gate before, I know nothing about the previous games, and have incredibly little knowledge of D&D.

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

My newbie recommendations:

Swords Bard: There's little they can't do tbh. There's absolutely no scenario where a bard's presence is a bad idea. Normally the jack-of-all-trades gimmick is "good at everything, master of nothing" but in BG3 they're "great at everything and master of almost everything."

Storm Sorcerer: They thrive on Charisma for both speech checks and their spells scale off of it. They get a suite of thunder/lightning spells at lvl 6(?) and have a unique ability that lets them fly after casting a spell, and this flight will not trigger opportunity attacks. You can also do cool things like casting a Twinned Haste spell to make two of your party members faster and able to do more stuff per turn using only a single spell slot.

Evocation Wizard: The glass cannon, these guys are squishy but can deal devastating amounts of damage to large crowds later on. Evocation Wizards specifically gain a passive that protects your party from friendly-fire so you can Cone of Cold and Fireball to your heart's content and never have to worry about slaughtering your allies.

Open Hand Monk: Just punch the living poo poo out of everything in your path. From the very beginning of the game they gain an extra attack as a bonus action and their armor scales off both DEX+WIS which means with a proper stat investment you become very difficult to injure very early in the game. From lvl 6 onwards your best source of damage is literally just your fists (and appropriate gloves), no weapons required.

Tempest Cleric: This Cleric is how you roleplay as Thor. They immediately gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor, meaning their weapon selection is more varied and they are difficult to injure. This Cleric subclass supports allies by electrocuting everything with blasts of thunder and lightning, they can also retaliate against attackers with a reaction. They still gain all the typical cleric stuff like trolling undead/demons, support spells, etc.

Light Cleric: Like Tempest Cleric but instead of Thunder and Lightning it's Radiant damage and Fire. Can't use heavy armor or martial weapons like the Tempest Cleric, but you'll learn to incinerate your opposition. They also get a reaction ability that can cause enemy attacks to miss.

As for races: anything tall and with innate Darkvision is simply miles ahead of the other picks if you care about minmaxing. Tieflings, Drow, Elves, Half-Elves, and Half-Orcs are great beginner picks.

Your attribute spread is going to vary based on the class you pick. Some classes benefit from Wisdom, some from Charisma, pretty much every non-Wizard class can dump INT to 8, etc. Always have a minimum CON of 14. CON determines your HP, and you always want lots. You always want your stats to be a multiple of 2. Having 14 STR adds +2 to STR checks, having 15 adds +2, having 16 adds +3, etc. There are very, very few ways to increase your mainstats. Every 4 levels you can choose to raise one ability by 2, two abilities by 1, or taking certain feats will let you add +1 to a stat while gaining a unique passive ability. Starting with 17 in a particular stat is desirable for this reason.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 20, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I made Jaheria a monk. There's only room for one druid and Halsin got dibs.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What is the "best" wild heart barb animal?

Bear or Wolf. Bear offers tons of damage reduction, Wolf offers a shout that adds 3m of movement speed to your group and allies will have advantage on melee attacks on foes within 2m of you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LLSix posted:

Is the Tavern Brawler feat as OP as it seems? I feel like my unarmed strength monk is hitting almost as hard as my wizard when the wizard nukes. But the monk does it every turn. And then can do even more damage when spending ki points. And doesn't have to worry about enemies saving and negating or taking half damage from the attack.

Tavern Brawler is so overpowered that it's practically cheating.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

2730 for the graceful cloth on HM jesus christ these prices are killing me.

Your good buddy Asterion is pretty good at getting a 5-finger discount.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I'm very early on a new run (before respecs are available) and I had Shadowheart use Invoke Duplicity as part of my assault on the ruins gang. The illusory duplicate slipped and fell on ice. Not sure if that's on brand or not.

e: also at what point does going actually unarmed on a monk make more sense than using a quarterstaff (or a torch)? Level 6 with Ki-empowered strikes and the Open Hand damage riders? Outside of equipment and Tavern Brawler anyway.

At lvl 6 you're clear to ditch the staff Ethel sells you. There are multiple pairs of gloves that add 1d4 (element) to your unarmed blows and they stack with your Manifestation of Mind Body & Soul attacks (and those will scale off WIS). In Act 3 there are gloves that add 1d10 force damage which make you a punchy nightmare.

^^you can make the bonus unarmed attack but your regular attacks will be missing out on all of the free damage the game is stacking on your character if you stay equipped.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is there a good way to make Asterion like me in act 3? He's roughly neutral right now and I'm worried I won't be able to keep him from ascending when we fight cazador

Raising Asterion's rep is annoying since he thrives on being a selfish dick. Things that make Asterion like you are typically things that will make everyone else dislike you except for Lae'zel & Minthara (and sometimes Shadowheart) who also encourage you to be a jerk whenever possible.

Things Asterion likes:

-Being a smartass
-Being condescending
-Straight up telling people "not my problem, gently caress off"
-Shaking people down
-Power grabs
-Flattery
-Respecting his independence (slavery and other forms of indentured servitude are a sore spot for him)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

tarbrush posted:

You can talk him into the pit?!? I was doing Full bard persuade playthrough and I couldn't get an option.

Rummage thru the rooms in Moonrise and you should find some letters from his late wife, read them. Before the first fight try to talk him into surrendering by mentioning her. Then during the rematch, ask him to surrender again and instead of picking up the fight where you left off he'll dive straight into the pit and you can start fighting the avatar. You'll still need to free Dame Aylin (assuming you didn't kill her in the Shadowfell).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

How about a pivot for monks? This is my first time playing as one and want to know what to look for in the early game

Monks are baller right out of the starting gate. Dump your points into Dex/Wis/Con, and grab Corellion's Grace from Auntie Ethel when you get to the Druid village. If you go Way of the Open Hand, pick up the Gloves of Cinder and Sizzle (and the Graceful Cloth) from the merchant in the Mountain Pass. Ditch the staff at lvl 6 and fight poo poo with your bare hands, your passives will do the rest.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 27, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

karlach stole my heart

I imagine someone with an engine in their chest would be hoarding hearts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

I'd like t do necro for my dark urge playthrough. Heard it is a bit underwhelming though. Anyone try it out?

Also do wizard sub classes get any unique dialog options?

Most of the Wizard subs are kind of a wet fart tbh. Divination and Evocation are really good however.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

JBP posted:

I find evocation meh because it removes any need to play the game with some thought because you can just nuke all your own guys.

Divination is a very fun mechanic though.

Thinking is overrated, cast more fireballs and cone of cold.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fuzz posted:

So I'm still in Act 1 and only just hit level 5, but I've managed to break the combat over my knee by multiclassing Astarion into a Thief/Monk because ahahaha I was curious if the extra bonus action can be used for Flurry and oh my it can, and if you're positioned with advantage every hit is a sneak attack.

Karlach is already rocking face with straight Berserker, Wyll just got an extra attack with his pact weapon and is solid. My Sword Bard sucks but next level he'll finally get another attack. Gale is melting poo poo with lightning gear.

What are the good builds for Shadowheart? She's kinda extremely underwhelming as is, was thinking of converting her into a paladin or maybe mixing her with Ranger. gently caress the Gith chick, that whole race is trash and it's annoying the game features them so heavily in the story.

Cleric subclass guide:

Tempest: If you enjoy using Gale for electrocuting stuff Tempest Clerics also specialize in thunder & lightning while retaining all of the generic holy stuff that makes a cleric a cleric. They can even use their channel divinity to make a spell inflict its maximum possible damage. They also gain access to heavy armor and actually make decent frontline attackers, though Clerics don't get an extra attack at lvl 5.

Light: All about Fire & Radiant damage. This subclass is the bane of all things undead and flammable. Can use warding flare as a reaction to impose disadvantage on anything attacking you or an ally (unless it's already blind).

Life: Heals, heals, and more heals. Life Cleric's #1 goal is to keep poo poo from dying. Gains access to heavy armor for self-preservation.

Trickery: Dogshit. Next.

Knowledge: Piles on tons of proficiency bonuses in case you hate the idea of your rolls backfiring. This subclass is more focused on crowd control with spells like Command, Hold Person, etc.

Nature: Basically a druid without the shapeshifting. Just play a druid unless you *really* want to cast spirit guardians and wear heavy armor.

War: A shittier paladin.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I simply cannot take male Githyanki seriously. Their faces are just so...long. Between that and the outrageously skinny limbs it's a miracle they can even lift a greatsword.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah, I helped them break it down

Did you go in and actually rescue the survivors? Busting the door down and leaving won't help the situation.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Getting a character a few thief levels also means you largely don't have to "waste" a slot on Astarion's usually lackluster DPS (or you can just multiclass him into a Monk).

Asterion's DPS is the exact opposite of lackluster. Thief 8/Champion 4 with Knife of the Undermountain King/Sword of Lifestealing/The Dead Shot means you crit on rolls of natty 17, give him chances to attack with advantage and there's very little he won't oneshot with a sneak attack critical.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wizards and Sorcs both don't really begin to take off until lvl 5 where their cantrips get an extra die and they get their lvl 3 spells. After that they can usually turn a bad fight into a good one. Counterspell, Haste, Fireball, and Lighting Bolt in particular can swing a fight in your favor very quickly.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 3, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Monoclassing is perfectly fine, and fighters really benefit from that extra extra attack at lvl 11. Multiclassing is for using certain combos to utterly break the game over your knee (Monk+Rogue, Sorc+Warlock, Bard+anything, etc.).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

lost old man posted:

Co-op’ing with a friend of mine and he attacked and killed the zhents too because they’re “evil thieves” and “gently caress these assholes.” He does this every time he comes across an npc he doesn’t like. We’re constantly fighting people who are either just minding their own business or they offer a quest that sounds like a crime and he’s like “nope, I don’t do quests for evil people.” He pouted for an hour because the hag got away after the fight and he didn’t get to kill her outright. He yelled at me for doing the boots quest in the underdark and accused me of “siding with slavers” even though doing the quest and then killing them are not mutually exclusive.

Neither of us have finished act 1 and have no idea what’s going to happen later on. I keep trying to tell him that removing npcs from the game is probably cutting us off from good items or story bits but he doesn’t care. I know there’s no “wrong” way to play this game but it’s all very unsatisfying. Maybe we should have done solo games first?

Your friend is a jackass. :sever:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Qubee posted:

I think there's a bug with Merregon enemies, whenever I walked into their attack range as Shadowheart, I got a prompt for Polearm Attack Reaction. Stupidly thinking it was for Shadowheart (stupidly due to the fact she had a hammer, not polearm), I reacted every time and I think I must have done 30+ of damage to Shadowheart by having the Merregons react. Seems weird I could have chosen not to react as the Merregon.

How are you meant to defeat invisible enemies? My Tav has that eyeball that can see invis people but this particular enemy just stayed hidden. I had to pop an AoE spell as SH to kill him.

Faerie Fire can reveal hidden foes, or you can guesstimate their location and use an area of effect ability.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There's a modder out there hellbent on putting every character and NPC in a fursuit. It's only a matter of when, not if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's a more broadly pervasive attitude since that kind of inclusivity has become the norm rather than the exception in modern gaming. some segments of the internet were absolutely losing their poo poo when SF6 let you choose your pronouns and had a seemingly nonbinary black host character in the battle hub

you really just have to whack 'em with a newspaper until they scamper off, and i'm glad sites like nexusmods aren't tolerating bullshit

The word "pronouns" is chud flypaper. Break it out and wait for them to stick themselves to it.