Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Still blown away by all the people fighting the owlbear.

Just leave, she'll get killed by goblins a bit later and you get all her stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

What the hell factors into Lae'zel passing the check against Voss? Is it influence based? I successfully persuaded her but she failed anyways and the Githyanki attacked me, which was nearly disastrous since that's a tough fight and I'm on honour mode. I survived but it took a second to swing that back my way.

I swear on my previous run I persuaded her and it was fine, so is there some hidden dice roll check she makes with Voss as well or is it just based on how much she likes you?

There's a sneaky automatic deception check that Lae'zal has to pass for Voss to believe you, even after passing the persuade check. Use her gith ability to get charisma proficiency beforehand.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can’t believe people want to play the game and have fun?

It's a dickhead thing to do with no mechanical benefit, that people are apparently doing even on honour mode where it's legit dangerous. So yeah, I don't understand.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

I thought you only got the cub if you killed the mom yourself?

Nope.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Did create water always come with a smaller aoe free option? :psyduck:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

dragonborn animations are awesome and it's a bummer there are so few of them in the game

also if you equip a hat it sits on top of their head in a very silly way

Ethel masks on a dragonborn are a good time.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Why doesn't the shield spell build arcane ward Swen pls :negative:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Did you not meet the blacksmith in the grove??

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Maybe he's an imposter Minsc??

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'd say Abjurer is definitely in the Evoker/Divination tier.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Also is there a reason most hit percentages on enemies at low levels are between 60 and 55? Bc that poo poo just kills enjoyment.

The reason is that you're just face mashing the attack button rather than using abilities, items or the environment.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I was being a smartass and picking all the spells that don't have scrolls to min max my spell list and save money scribing all my evocation spells, but I still haven't seen a single magic missile scroll yet and I'm up to Ethel. :(

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Any ideas for a character for simple first time playthrough?

Paladin or bard. The "limitations" for paladins is that you can't go against your oath, but that's like making undead, cutting deals with evil bosses or attacking random villagers sort of stuff.

Bards are the best talker class, cover your thief skills, are full spellcasters and are practically full warriors if you go College of Swords bard. They do everything.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Nope, but you do have to specifically use Improvised Melee Weapon rather than Throw (you can use either one against goblins, or bigger people if you have enough strength)

I managed to one round the hag, but in order to knock her down to less than 10 HP without killing her I ended up throwing my Sussur Dagger. And for some reason, pathing decided to leave it stuck about 20 feet up in the air, completely out of reach forever. Oh well, at least it actually got used one time out of three runs so far.

Crates only weight like 3 units, shove some in your pants and go see if you can make a tower to reach it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Just curious, why did PoE2 flop when the first game was such a success? I never got around to playing it but I seem to remember all the press being very favourable and getting the impression people thought it was better than the first game.

What’s his name from obsidian said he’d only be interested in doing a PoE 3 if he was given BG3 money to play with. But now that Microsoft owns them (iirc) I’m not holding my breath to see many great things from them again.

And the bethesdas and biowares of the world have become so bland and generic. Starfield comes off so badly in comparison to BG3.

PoE had a successful kickstarter and sold well, but the actual game was pretty alienating and dull. PoE2 improved on almost everything but only diehards were still paying attention to the franchise.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

I have one more single player run I'm almost done with and then I'm shelving except for multiplayer and waiting for more patches/dlc for more solo play.

Does anyone know if there's been any rumblings about what might be coming in a theoretical patch 6 at this point?

Fingers crossed for boob physics.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Qubee posted:

So if you're playing on Honour mode, how do you know which encounters you can handle or not? I've had so many encounters trigger that I am woefully unprepared or underleveled for and everyone gets wiped. On Honour mode, how would you handle a situation like that?

Honour mode is a challenge mode for people familiar with the game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Yep, you can only really use it against people who will immediately leave or who you don't mind fighting.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Azran posted:

Already tried that, still getting blasted. Any specific spot?

Are you trying to read it with Shadowheart by chance?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Is there a difficulting increasing mod that works for honour mode? Tactician plus doesn't seem to.

I want to do a second honour mode run and hopefully have a bit more challenge this time. I'd do solo but I don't really enjoy the playstyle.

1x Wild Magic Sorc + 1x Wild Magic Barb.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Cast protection from good/evil on someone and have them equip a hag mask. They'll spot the vents and traps automatically and will negate the vents just by standing near them. Then everyone else can just walk past.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Your true strike + witchbolt wizard should be tearing the game up, not sure what the issue is. Is he wearing a cowboy hat?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

The game never tells you this but scrolls and equipment cast off the main casting stat of the last class you multiclass into. Class into Wizard last and you cast spells from staffs on INT.

Also this game really needs some kind of in-game level planner. I didn't even know fighters get an extra attack at lvl 11

just lol if you're not idly browsing bg3.wiki whenever you're not actually playing.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The gith patrol is gnarly as gently caress if you fail the deception check, jesus.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

TraderStav posted:

https://youtu.be/jJL3lEQKb0w?si=N-_g3b1g6_z3Se_p

Been watching this solo Honour mode run and am super impressed with this approach. Very optimized (no glitches). I didn't realize that pickpocketing could be this easy, I've been sleeping on it hard.

Any idea why he's constantly choosing to be in disguise as a gnome versus his native halfling?

Halflings look stupid.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Selune's the D&D god of the moon and stars yet doesn't get light as a domain.

?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I meant what happens if you DO kill them loot-wise. I always just delivered the thing.

They have anything actually interesting in those heavily defended back rooms?

You can loot those rooms without killing anyone. There's good money, infernal iron and some "very rare" grade summoner gloves.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

You don't need a pop up necessarily. Just some sort of (red/danger/whatever) visual indicator on concentration spells when you're already concentrating.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

JBP posted:

Shadowheart is the bird you walk away from at a party immediately once you have a small amount of life experience.

How dare you

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I haven't played one but archer hunters seem like they would do a lot of damage.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone know if volley works with slayer arrows?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Gale getting pissed off if you don't let him read the necronomicon, given his exact past, is extremely funny.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

This. I can’t help but feel like hunter is the worst class in the game, it can’t really do anything that another class can’t do better.

What? They very notably get an uber capstone that no-one else can replicate.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Oh my god Jaheira's AI what the gently caress are you doing...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Remind me what that is exactly?

Whirlwind/volley. All normal attacks become 3m AoEs.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

When are you supposed to use improvised melee weapons?

You can bash a goblin with another goblin and hurt both of them. It's fun if nothing else.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

So stoneskin. I haven't used this much in any of my many runs in the game but was thinking about it randomly.

Is this as useless as it seems? I imagine by the time you get it most enemies use magical attacks/weapons. Perhaps it would work on stuff in the shadowlands? I think most Githyanki use magic weps, so wouldn't work there. And I imagine most enemies in ch3 also use magic weps/attacks

I've never cast it because it was already bad, but assumed it would 1/2 all physical weapon attacks despite the wording because that would be unbelievably bad. Looked it up and it really doesn't block magical weapons at all. :psyduck:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I have arcane trickster Astarion at the moment and it's fine if not optimal. I've got him loaded up with critical gear and the risky ring and it's very common to dual wield crit someone for 60+ damage. Then he's got shield, blur and mirror image to stack on top of evasion and uncanny dodge making him pretty tanky, plus his expertise in skills.

e/ I was understating his damage here, the damage potential on a dual wield melee crit is up at ~120 and I'm not maxed out yet.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You can see why Larian went with Shadowheart as the straight-coded romance option. It’s sweet, it’s courtly, she doesn’t even finger your rear end in a top hat or anything too weird like that.

Actually, my girlfriend Shadowheart is extremely gay and does all sorts of things I ask for, unofficially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I don't see how there's anything in the goblin camp worth worrying about enough to bother sequence breaking for. If you just do the map normally you'll hit 5 at the start of the camp and it's a cakewalk.