Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I asked this last thread but am still wondering. Is say tempest cleric 5 vengeance paladin 7 okay for multi? Not planning to use wisdom. More wanting to supplement paladin melee with cool lightning abilities. But didn't know if lower wisdom would hobble it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Monathin posted:

If you're only in it for cool lightning abilities that don't scale off Wisdom, 5 seems like a steep overinvestment. You can probably make it work but a significant amount of your spells are going to be less useful due to having subpar Wisdom, unless you specifically pick spells that don't scale off it (so buff/utility spells).

that said, Tempest Cleric + Smite does sound kind of hilarious, so I really wanna see if it works. Maybe Cleric 2 / Paladin 10? Unless there's something you're very specifically shooting for at Level 5.

Yeah having more slots for smite, plus the retaliation and Max lightning damage just seemed pretty cool to me. It sounds like it would be functional if not strictly optimal. I just like the theme of it.

Network42 posted:

If you don't care about the cleric flavor, bard or warlock would be way better spellcasting multi classes as they allow you to largely focus on Chariama without needing too many other stats.
Warlock/paladin is a strong melee machine and literally only needs charisma in fact.

The flavor is the main reason I'm interested in it. You can get paladin of x tags for doing it. Also cool lightning abilities, some of which seem to supplement melee pretty well.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
All I can say about all this is that it means we are getting more party based games like this in future. Even though a great number are going to be cynical cash grabs as deep as a puddle, I'm still excited for what this success indicates for the next bunch of years for the industry. Truly a watershed moment.

And as much as I crave dlc for the game, I kinda hope they stick to their guns and opt out. It would be easy to get greedy especially when the players themselves are clamoring for it, but a game that succeeds by being a complete product and isn't milked for every dine is a game the rest of the industry can learn from right now.

But really, mega dungeon dlc when?

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 9, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
drat. Girlfriend and I did the defend the portal fight and it was incredible. Girlfriend threw down a firewall, Karlach was throwing the long neglected grease bottles into that to create explosions, then I remembered we had smoke powder bombs, Shadowheart was spirit guardian exploding stuff, and I didn't have anyone to smite so I was just picking off stragglers. Oh, and girlfriend was tossing fireballs too. Just an incredible fight that finally really let us flex and stunt on masses of dudes. Now we are at Moonrise and for fucks sakes this game is so big. I'm legit overwhelmed because this is like the goblin camp times a billion. We are just trying to figure out how to best tackle it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
What spells can only be learned by scroll? Been hanging onto one of everything to scribe and wouldn't mind being spoiled on that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Black Noise posted:

Summon Quasit has only 2 scrolls afaik

Knock and Arcane lock are pretty rare even with random loot generation.

Dethrone (2), Artistry of War, and another 5th level spell that lets wizards summon a celestial located in the Sorcerous Sundries vault

Awesome thank you.

I'm proud to say I found the smuggler ring by sheer accident thanks to area search on controller. Still can't believe I stumbled onto that drat thing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I missed the kobolds in the monastery. I haven't ever heard Minthara speak. If I weren't a little gamer brain poisoned the vampire would be dead. I have no idea what variety of permutations exist for the grove. I delivered a package to the zhentarim with no funny business because I wandered into their hideout on accident and really didn't want any trouble. I've used about ten percent or less of the spells in the game. I've not played a monk, bard, warlock, or ranger at all. I didn't see most of the goblin camp interactions because I disguised myself as a drow. I saved the gnome from the windmill and this is the only time I save scummed. I also probably won't see any alternative to that one cause I can't bear the thought of what might happen to the poor little guy.

I really don't know why I feel the need to catalogue all this other than to say I love this game and will probably be playing it for five years lol.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I know that you don't need to find Dammon in Act 1 either, he'll be just fine if you wait to give him all the infernal iron in Act 2. Don't think you'll get the romance if Karlach's engine isn't fully tuned up by Act 3 though.

On this note, the game doesn't assume I'm trying to romance her if I gave her a hug after all the upgrades does it? Girl needed one but I'm sworn to my sweet former fascist alien.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

No you have to cool her off in Act 1 and try to kiss her for the romance to activate.

Awesome thanks. It didn't give me that impression I just wanted to make sure.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

One bug I've been getting, a lot, is dead people replaying their death animations, if i walk far enough away and then come back

Sounds like a feature to me. Time loop where you celebrate your wins.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I feel like you should be locked out from getting the cub if you kill the mama. Or, you should get the cub but there should be long dialogue sequences where he talks about how much he loved her and share fond memories with you ignorant of the fact that you murdered her you monster.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just wondering, what happens if you let a certain someone drink the blood of that creepy merchant at Moonrise for science?touching little moment when he clearly expressed his preference not to and I went along with his decision.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh next run they're dying on sight.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

you get a potion that will give a character in your party a permanent +2 str;
which is far too good to pass up IMO.

you’ll get a sizeable disaproval from the certain someone, but nothing to serious unless you’ve been totally neglecting them on the approval front.

The exception is if you’re loving the certain someone - there will be a confrontation afterwards and there is exactly one correct line of conversation that will allow you to keep being lovers, the rest will lead to a breakup.

God drat it I regret my decision now lol. Playthrough after next I suppose.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Gale sucks so much. When you find out his whole deal, not his background but his way to get supposed redemption from his background, he has this whole smug world weary protagonist syndrome about it all. It makes him both extremely believable and extremely annoying.

BG succeeds because it remembers that characters need genuine flaws to be compelling. So often RPG characters have a fraught background but no actual genuine flaws that make them interesting. I am not a fandom person cause I find it weird but people are gonna be arguing about these companions for a decade.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I bought BG3 months ago, and I have yet to play it. It's a combination of being nervous trying a new genre, being distracted by other games, and various other daily poo poo. Gonna pull the band-aid and get this going.

So I want to start with a custom character, but I have no clue on what to choose, and I want you all to pick.

Note that I never played an RPG like Baldur's Gate before, I know nothing about the previous games, and have incredibly little knowledge of D&D.

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

I know this will feel like a non answer, but just follow your gut. All I'll say is look at the recommended attribute distribution for whatever class you go with, and stick fairly close to that.
The game will be hard at first, not because it's a hard game but because low level dungeons and dragons sucks rear end. Later, the game will get so easy that minmax poo poo is utterly unnecessary.

Pick something you're excited about. The game will provide ways to roleplay whatever you pick.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I haven't stolen a single thing save one ring I really wanted early in the game. I know this puts me deep in the minority.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean you have to help them kill the baddies first and that can potentially go south. If you follow the drider and co they will march you straight to moonrise after murdering the harpers

I kinda wonder what happened with this event sequence in our playthrough. We came from the mountain pass, ran into a goblin, went to that little ruined village spot, hid from the spider dude, followed them, and attacked without initiating dialogue. But when we got to the Last Light Inn they talked about losing a guy in an ambush. I dunno if it's just assumed there was another ambush or if we ran into a bug or what.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

"romancing" lae'zel is pretty amazing

It really is. My girlfriend picked Shadowheart and its so... Cute and uninteresting lol

This game is so fun to play with a partner. You will learn things hahahah.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Really feeling like we should have killed He Who Was in Act Ii. Getting the sense he was exactly as lovely as he appeared. Also, got the bright idea to stealth kill the guards on the Moonrise Docks because of that crate. If you know you know. Almost missed it entirely. Very sneaky of them, btw, to only give you the scene with it if you inspect it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Can you do anything with it? The one full of worms right?

I have no clue. It's implied you can. Though I haven't seen an opportunity. Didn't want to just smash it for fear of unintended consequences.

I was hoping there was some leverage to be had with the Zhent vendor though. Haven't checked. But she was acting real weird when we got there so curiosity piqued.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 28, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

What, you mean like Conan?

drat it beaten.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'd like t do necro for my dark urge playthrough. Heard it is a bit underwhelming though. Anyone try it out?

Also do wizard sub classes get any unique dialog options?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So before we start picking apart Moonrise room by room, what's the deal with turning a whole place hostile? At the goblin camp we just isolated groups in rooms and closed doors and that seemed to work fine, until one of those little Bastards got to a drum. We just rolled with it after that but it made the camp a lot more chaotic than it needed to be.

Are there any similar gotcha type alert things going on with moonrise? The eyes are my first thought but I'm not sure how to work around those.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
But I assume the call is a set ability like the drum is right? So it would be more about killing those quickly and isolating targets.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

One

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I think that, at least until you start getting to the end of the big sidequests in Act 3, if you're getting into fights where you are totally outnumbered, there are probably things you could have done to approach the situation differently. The Nere fight is definitely one of those times. It's pretty clear when you first get to Grymforge that there's a very uneasy alliance going on here. Maybe you can tip that in your favor?

This is true but I'll add on regarding differing approaches to fights that if you build well and understand the system and have a good party composition the numerous ambush fights are a lot of fun if played straight. Granted I consider it a soft challenge mode since you're almost always at some kind of disadvantage when these things pop off but there's so many role playing options for being utterly stupid or principled that I consider taking the fights head on as both challenge and expression of character concept.

Also setting up the optimal positioning can be tedious. I tend to do it in situations where it makes narrative sense. Less so if it doesn't. Not taking a stand as such just don't think players will always want to pre prep for every encounter.

Also just an add on hint. Kill lights people. It makes it easier to stay obscured.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Way off topic, but what rogue dual wield setups do you guys like? Rocking the knife of the undermountain king and just trying to find a good pairing for it. Thief subclass FYI. Risky ring for sneak attacks every turn. Not usually optimal but three attacks regularly every turn if you wanna stay in close is not bad at all.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hunters mark is concentration right? Assuming so, could you get the refund using concentrated blast? Assuming it killed of course.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
What is it about BG3 that inspires nerds to act so arrogant? I swear I've seen more people's intelligence insulted around this one specific game than I have anywhere else. Lol

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think the game does a really great job on diversity and not making a big blinking thing of it save one element. There's really no disabled characters I'm aware of. Though imho this is also the group most often disregarded more generally so I'm not surprised. Still kinda disappointing.

But what they have done is really well considered and written the way it should be, which is to say attributes inform But don't define their owners.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Also attribute blocks are stupid. Sometimes you gotta accept that a concession to mechanics is being made. For all the howling about the non optimal distributions, they're at least logical for the classes if not perfectly min maxed.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 7, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

PTSD is a disability

You're not wrong and yet I think you know what I mean. In the interest of clarity I'll say physical disabilities then.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

space uncle posted:

Wyll is missing an eye, which I think would classify as a disability. Gets your drivers license flagged here at least.

Karlach can’t touch anyone, is dying of heart disease, and has a demonic pacemaker - all of which would be a disability.

Astarion’s previous symptoms of inability to be in sunlight and requiring constant medication (blood) would be a disability.

Minsc clearly has a TBI / Forrest Gump thing going on and has a service animal to treat his disability.

Really the only “healthy” members of the party are Laezel, Jaheira, Gale, Minthara, and Halsin.

The only one of these that counts imho is Karlach because she actually experiences concrete consequences because of it. The eye never comes up as an obstacle, the vampire stuff is eliminated by the tad pole or easily averted by switching him to animals, etc etc. Even Karlach can be ahem fixed by some iron. The reality of disability is that it forces an adjustment of how one lives day to day. If there are opt out conditions it kinda blunts the reality.

I'm not touching that Forest Gump poo poo get outta here.

Like I said, this is the one identity that is typically done poorly these days. Honestly I wouldn't even point it out at all if the game didn't do such an excellent job in other areas.

It isn't enough to depict. And it blunts the supposed import if the player can superficially wave away the constraint. Though, this being a fantasy game, one can easily justify almost anything by magic so whatcha gonna do?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Feels like with all the crazy technomagic going on in the game, they could have had a few people with prosthetics. And as someone with some mild (non-facial) vitiligo, it would have been nice for more detailed customization there. Also they should have made a character who was diabetic so you'd have to be careful about how many sugary supplies you used for a long rest.

I mean it feels like you're taking the piss a bit here, but with all the reactive stuff in the game, having a quest giver straight blow a character off for having a pigment condition would be pretty accurate. Not that anyone would have the balls to do something like that. Again, fantasy game, too raw.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I've seen a lot of chronic pain sufferers post about Shadowheart in the comments to Jennifer and Aliona's videos. Usually it's how they find a lot of connection with a character carrying an otherwise invisible burden and wanting that pain to mean something, even as it feels completely random and inexplicable to anyone else. "You can tolerate a great deal of suffering so long as it has meaning" etc.

See I come at this as a person with severe visual impairment. So disability being tremendously varied as it is, covering so much breadth of experience, there's things I just won't account for in practice. But that's pretty cool.

To be clear, I'm not trying to rag on the game here. There's a lot of care and consideration put into it. But in my personal experience, with my personal disability, and knowing a lot of people with similarly severe disabilities, I think we have a ways to go and I just want to see media get there

This also kinda chaps my rear end a bit because the other big way this game fell short was in regard to accessibility options. I'll grant that they've done some good post release support which is nice. But I'd have killed for some kind of text to speech functionality in the game.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 7, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I like Karlach but she's a little too well adjusted for spending a decade in hell. She should be a bit emotionally damaged from that, no?

Lae'zel is arguably the most grounded companion if you think about it. She's not sleeping with god like Gale, or a superhero like Wyll. She doesn't have a furnace for a heart. She's not a vampire. And she's not the literal chosen one like Shadowheart.

Her being a space elf is the only thing special about her but in the grand scheme of things she's just a grunt for Vlaakith. A talented one to be sure but she's not close to becoming favored when the game starts. She's the only companion that doesn't have some crazy background. She's just a soldier. And I kinda like that about her.

Hell the fact that she's just a grunt fits her background perfectly. It is always the unimportant grunts that get taken in by the kind of ideology she was raised to believe.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm fairly convinced that this game is perfect precisely because there's so much broken poo poo in it that nobody ever needs. Sitting somewhere between optimized and who cares, I can count the number of fights that have been actually genuinely difficult on one hand. I will say there are a few fights where the margin for error was definitely slim, but in those, smart positioning and avoiding as much risk as is reasonable while maintaining damage output has pretty much made even those a cake walk. Nobody has for real died except maybe once, loving cloudkill in the gauntlet and the damage output you're capable of far out strips the health of the baddies by loads.

But that's pretty cool tbh because a lot of games expect and nearly require optimal play to beat them. I think that immense and unnecessary power ceiling means that you can mess around and try things out for flavor alone. Too many games punish that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The Orthon fight in Gauntlet of Shar is actually quite scary if you get surprised and his army of approx. 50 Merregons get a free turn on you.

Can confirm. Just did it. I thought we would have a chance to talk but nope. Glad I had permanent see invisible cause that got kinda crazy for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
About to wrap Gauntlet of Shar. Cool rear end dungeon though the puzzles might be a wee bit annoying on subsequent plays. I'm sure some or all of them can be creatively circumvented.

Anyhow, anything especially important I should get before wrapping? Not concerned about going back to act one, but I'm sick of this gloom so will be booking it toward the end of the act once I finish with this.