Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
if you're gonna close a thread for the sake of changing op's or whatever nonsense, could yall at least tag the new thread at the end of the closed one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

my bad, I should have read more posts

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

alcaras posted:

Is there a good suggested order / checklist for Act 1 on Honor mode? (And later, for future acts?)

Start as a class that has command:drop at level one, get the good sword, get your party of 4, clear everything south and east of the grove before entering it. Do small stuff until you hit 3 then harpies are reasonable to do. Skip the owlbear until preferably you hit level 5. Once you're level 5, you can just go back to playing regularly aside from checking notable enemies for legendary actions, which can be circumvented by knocking the enemy prone, so bring 2 people capable of that ideally.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

shadowheart can do command:drop, no need to start as a certain class

It's single save mode, you want basically the ability to do everything on 2 different characters.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

some bugs make it feel like I'm really giving them the business though

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I ended up messing up my for honor run to pick up minthara because apparently you have to do more than knock her out in temp combat, you have to do it before killing certain other people in the map, which I saved minthara for last lmao. Didn't find out until almost the very end of act 2 (I did everything save the last bit to trigger the ending sequence). got so upset that I ended up taking a week off playing, only to return and blast through all the essentials in act 3 in 1 playthrough for the golden die. The epilogue they added in is so great.

Getting to save karlach had such an excellent cutscene where she basically duke nukems hell. After seeing it on this run, I decided to load up my saves from my other 3 runs to check out what happened in those. who shows up at the end and also what they say is entirely based on what you did, including some actions in the ending sequence. I so very much look forward to contorting the characters to do wacky stuff to see how they respond in the epilogue in future playthroughs.

as far as the difficulty goes, it's almost all frontloaded in act 1, and by the time you get to level 5, you've already fought against all the hardest legendary action mechanics and so long as you bring tripping effects, they might as well not even exist. The hardest fight in the entire game, from my perspective, was the owlbear fight, followed by harpies because they can just rng you. I played a warlock with 1 level in bard as my front, a fighter, a rogue/hunter (3/5 leading to 7/5), and a sorc. I chose to fight raphael, having the mythril hammer made it so I broke all 4 pillars before he even took an action. Orin didn't even get a turn. As far as gear went, I was mostly just rocking the stuff I got in acts 1 and 2, the only act 3 stuff I picked up were stuff that vendors sold and the genie spear, which single handedly turned the rest of the game into a joke. I'm glad I did it once, but I would like to save scum some dialogue in future playthroughs just to see what characters have to say so I think it's a one & done for me.

the die is kinda ugly btw

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

What was his mechanic? I talked him into the pit, disarmed the avatar then blinded it. Only thing he did for me was spawn adds.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

tarbrush posted:

You can talk him into the pit?!? I was doing Full bard persuade playthrough and I couldn't get an option.

just to be clear here, I did the phase 1 of the fight and just forgot about the legendary action because it never triggered. the pit I'm talking about is the same one the avatar spawns in, which is essentially a phase 2 skip, phase 3 being the avatar fight. to get the phase 2 skip, you basically have to browbeat him into joining his late wife from phase 1.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

poo poo-stirring take - alert still isn't very useful in honour mode. being mechanically skilled eliminates any use it could have in every encounter that isn't a forced surprise, which I think there's one in the entire game, and you could still game by sending in someone solo and having the party join in after the initial trigger. I'd rather give someone ritual longstrider if I ran out of other feats I wanted on a character.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Khizan posted:

L5 also gets you L3 spells for Hunger of Hadar counterspell and fireball.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Not the class that bothers me it's the stats he comes with!

every character has ugly rear end stats and the first thing I do before taking them out of camp is to respec them.

as for your level 5 comment, I pretty much don't multiclass anybody (which gets multiclassed as early as level 2 for dialogue options) until level 8. there's some arguments for going marital class 5/fighter 2 for a power bump at level 7, but I'll just pay the lazy tax of not wanting to respec just an hour after respeccing.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

Are there recommended stats for companions? I just respec people if I'm trying to change their classes or like with Shadowheart I change her to Light or Life Cleric usually though I might try the tempest one

17 main stat 16 dex 14 con, swap dex and con if they're melee. if they're dex and not a monk, then feel free to invest it in some rp poo poo or str for carrying and athletics.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've heard magic missile is real good but it seems like I'm missing something because it's kind of bad on my sorcerer. Maybe there's a wizard ability to improve it?

I ended up just downloading cheatengine to get the hair. Not sure if it broke my achievements, we'll see. Now I've got 16 str, 18dex, 8con, 8int, 20wis, 8cha on my TB monk at level 12. Speaking of, anywhere to get a consistent supply of cloud giant elixirs? I've got the amulet of greater health to set my constitution to 23 but there's a big difference between +3 strength and +8 or whatever 27 is.

magic missile is great for some stuff, like taking out several low health enemies guaranteed or triggering all the enemies unstoppable stacks. there's also some tech that makes it do several hundred damage a round but it requires some setup from another member of the party

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

A Moose posted:

It would be smart, if it worked like it said it did, and also didn't break a bunch of cutscenes

you get all the cutscenes if you wait until he's low and then initiate the fight

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

Is anyone using the Hellrider longbow just to add the +3 initiative for Laez or Karlach while they're meleeing or throwing? I haven't been paying enough attention to initiative to know if that'd really be useful or not. It's obviously not good for Act 3 damage and 2170 gold for it is a pretty big chunk.

I threw it on my caster, because melee gets other, better items that just happen to have +init on them

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

it can't be understated just how good this game is. I'm now on my 5th playthrough & this time I'm playing as Karlach on custom difficulty and play on going evil & turning everybody into wrasslers via wild heart barb. I'm excited to see how dialogue plays out doing all the stuff karlach would otherwise kill you for

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

not being able to gank people climbing up ladders by standing at the top of it is BULLSHIT

guess i'll just have to THROW YOU BACK DOWN

HELL YEA BRUDDER GOBBLESS

https://i.imgur.com/F7kTqEg.mp4

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Typo posted:

yeah never use friends unless you are ready to fight the person you are charming lol

I know this is an older post, but this only happens if you stick around and the spell wears off. it's a super op spell and should be in every group tbh

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

What kind of loot do the zhents have anyways? I never did murder all of them.

if you give them the chest without opening it (you can still obtain the chest in act 3 so there is no loss here) you get access to some special loot, which includes a pair of gloves that gives you advantage on sleight of hands, a bow that scales off str instead of dex, and early access to generic rare +1 gear. it's very much worth doing, even if you're just gonna kill them after.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

I meant what happens if you DO kill them loot-wise. I always just delivered the thing.

They have anything actually interesting in those heavily defended back rooms?

there's an entrance to the underdark back there, that's about it. I'm pretty sure you get access to it if you deliver the box unopened. it comes out in the area southeast where there's some bombs next to a net which someone always seems to trigger, preventing most players from exploring it from the other end.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Thundarr posted:

The worst is when the pop--up says "You need 12 to hit. You rolled 20 (critical hit). Would you like to use Luck of the Far Realms?"

maybe the experience on consoles are a bit different but you can hover over the roll and see that the roll is after proficiency bonuses. I've also never experienced this on a crit, either, on a warlock that spams eldrich blast. It's always skipped the far realms notification on a natural crit for me.

that said, I don't take that poo poo anymore until late game because the minmaxer in me wants to save it for when I need it, but clicking that poo poo constantly is so annoying.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I would like a mod that drops at least some of the 5e loot from the books, or a loot randomizer. do those exist?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

unattended spaghetti posted:

What is it about BG3 that inspires nerds to act so arrogant? I swear I've seen more people's intelligence insulted around this one specific game than I have anywhere else. Lol

idk but I've never seen a fanbase so neurotic over the most banal poo poo. I'm in a fb group and people get into full blown fights about how you're supporting toxic behaviors if you find astarian hot and how if you don't want to bang shart first you're literally wrong and must be gay (or straight, whichever applies)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

people are hosed (and deeply ignorant). Anyone who pays any attention at all to the text can see that Astarion is an abuse victim who needs help.

just to be clear here I couldn't care less about how people choose to play their game. if they have one of the cringe mods I might make fun of them for it, butit's a single player experience, I don't give a poo poo. you could make a mod where you get to suck the dick of every npc in the lower city and I wouldn't care

mycot posted:

This game is so aggressively and deliberately against the white straight man fantasy that I'm pretty sure anyone making those anti-diversity mods are doing it out of sheer spite.

like 80% of the characters in the game are white & that's including the actual races that could never be white, I don't get this comment. it's a game about choice, and if you choose to be a poly gay slut, that's up to you. the straights can just be straight, except for the one time they accidentally let gale show them the lights, and the snowflakes amongst those can then go angrily post about sjw crap ruining their vidyas (and not corporate culture)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I was kind of struck by how this game has a trans character in it, but you have to dig through journals and make some specific convo choices to deduce it. Meanwhile Cyberpunk 77 has a trans character with a big rear end pride flag on their track that turns directly to the camera and says "I HAD GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY"

People had a crybaby bitch fit about that character on both sides for basically no reason lmao. Claire was a great character. Is she perfect? No. But she was a serious character within that world and had way more than 2 lines of dialogue. I would have considered making their entire personality around their "transness" a Massive fail.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

That's how I see it as well. Unlike some other recent entertainment products, this game is actually not that politically charged at all, including most of the subtext. Even in a shallow 'representation' sense, most of the major characters, including most of the popular love interests, are white. That makes it harder for the usual suspects to concern troll, and they have to show their true colors. Some of the NPCs being presented as openly gay without comment is not 'political', it's just you being a closeted (or open) bigot who needs to get with the times if you have a problem with that.

this game's extremely politically charged, just not from a "anti white supremacy" perspective. you can go straight up nazi in this game if you wanted to. don't like them "bad bloods"? kill 'em. don't like the grove nazis? kill those people instead. if you're a liberal, you try to solve all their problems for them and then make them kiss.

that said, many games are politically charged. almost every big budget game has political poo poo in it. it's just harder to notice in games with an actually good story, instead of just outright saying "war bad" or whatever nonsense.

Professor Beetus posted:

To be clear I liked both characters and thought they were both good examples of trans representation. I just thought the contrast was kinda funny.

it was a quite funny contrast in storytelling ngl. I'm happy for any company that puts in trans characters in their game (not hogwarts cause they made it a 1 line stunner lol) with any effort because you're 100% guaranteed to piss off a lot of people no matter how you go about it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Shard posted:

Do y'all prefer playing as non origin tav or dark urge? I'm going through a tav game on PS5 but I feel the pull to durge and I wondered what y'all's preferences are

You're missing huge chunks of the story not playing durge. I don't personally see a reason to tav more than once unless you're going for a lawful goody 2 shoes no fucky wacky lore runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I personally think it's very cool that you can just accidentally shutter dozens of hours worth of gameplay as it means decisions matter & it adds to the replay value of the game. You would have a hard time getting the story to play out the same way twice even with committing save scumming crimes.