Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t really play video games much at all anymore but I picked this up for nostalgia purposes and drat they really knocked it out of the park, sucked me right back in and I got from the beginning to act 3 in a week of playing. I made the decision to leave my laptop home when I took off to visit family this week so I didn’t hide out in a guest bedroom and just keep playing instead of enjoying being with family, and I actually kind of regret it lmao

Anyway when i got to sarevok i initially thought they modeled the room after the temple at the end of bg1 and i looked it up but i think i was wrong :(

That’s all thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I’m not sure about best but I really liked eagle for the dash as a reaction but I’m not an optimal player so it’s possibly a bad one

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

vague Act 1 spoilers regarding the artefact, in case you forgot: when you enter the goblin camp it's revealed that the artefact protects you from the influence of the Absolute.. as a result, it hops into your PC's inventory if Shadowheart isn't along, because it's plot-critical.

It does that even if she’s in the party, or at least it did for me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

Does anyone else who played BG1 feel that the way this game used Sarevok was at best underwhelming and at worst wrecks his story from the first two games? It was a cool moment to see him again, but the game goes at lengths to say he's basically a little bitch and his redemption wasn't real so he ends up sat on a chair under the city of Baldurs Gate doing what? Nothing about his character in the first games suggested he would just sit around "adjudicating" for Bhaal. He was ambitious, ruthless and smart. It just feels like the writers wanted to include him somehow, and replaced a generic "judge of Bhaal" character with him or something. Even if you ignore his pseudo redemption in TOB (which, I assume most players take because it is, I think, one of the better plot lines in the games) it still doesn't fit him really. Basically everything about his appearing in BG makes his story in BG1 and 2 worse.

I think it would have been better to have a pretender or something, an aspirant wearing Sarevoks gear. Maybe Orin is using a doppleganger to pretend to be Sarevok. Then the player gets the same sort of reaction "Oh its him from BG1", can still get the cool hat and sword and Sarevok could have gone to Kara-tur to bury Tamoko, having some sort of thematic ending appropriate for the character.

Its the first time in the game I have really been disappointed with the connection to the first two games and think his inclusion was pretty poorly implemented.

Yeah it was a weird choice and also I felt like they did viconia dirty too

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I have a small question about the epilogue after finishing this up yesterday evening. Minsc was in a prison cell awaiting execution by Zhents. One of the dialogue options is to tell him that the Zhents are running security for the city in the aftermath of the destruction. But at no point in the game did I side with them. I missed the hideout in act 1 entirely and I sided with the guild in act 3. Is this a bug in my epilogue or does it always work out that way or what’s going on?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

Yes basically the two outcomes for Minsc in the epilogue are in Zhent jail or (if you convinced him and Nine-Fingers to work together) working with the Guild protecting the Illithid wreckage from looters

I'm guessing if you didn't have that conversation with them then it probably defaults to the former?

Ah ok, thanks. Should of played around with the dialogue tree more I guess

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Floppychop posted:

First time since it's been added that the game's actually let me see the epilogue (3rd playthrough since then). And it has such stimulating conversations

Not a bug. You just didn’t find Jaheira, like it says

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I've never seen him do that, very funny though. Depending on your choices he can not be present or evil take Lorraokan's side.

Who gets the store if he does the latter?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jose posted:

So uh with Jaheira in act 3 I killed Minsc's crew and the knocked him out and won the roll. Problem is while googling how to non-lethal kill people because I'd forgotten I read that any weapon that does elemental damage will do finish them off. I pass the turn with my MC as a result and minsc just went ham on jaheira to the point of outright killing her. This kind of hosed things up despite winning the roll to intimidate the emperor. I guess what I'm asking is if the elemental damage stuff is true and whether i should just focus on knocking him out first instead of killing the rest

It’s 100% true and what I did was finish off everyone else then have everyone get him down to about 20 hp and then have shadow heart and karlach finish him off with regular bows (I never used them for range anyway so I just stuck regular rear end ones in their slots)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

(ending spoilers) how can orph squid up if he doesn't have a tadpole. or does he

I still had the tadpole from the Act 2/3 transition and figured they used that but I assume it’s still a possibility even if you have no tadpoles at all?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Loel posted:

Man, Orpheus is pissed.

You fornicate ONE mind flayer....

The implications for orph are really pretty dire, I figured he was in stasis but when you let him out it’s pretty clear he’s been conscious and aware of his surroundings for however long he’s been imprisoned

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Codename for the game was Project GusTav (which is the name of Larian's CEO's dog, the model for Scratch). Also stands for Tadpoled AdVenturer. Also the final letter of the Hebrew alphabet.

I guess she will once her conversation options dry up, at least, but I want the intended experience since I don't think I got it in me to burn down the grove twice.

I got her in my second playthrough and she basically bugged until far enough in act three that it was the right lines and hasn’t ever advanced past it. The rest of her dialogue tree works just not the opening lines when you talk to her. She also bugged another way where she has to be party leader or she won’t follow. I think this is because I tried to bring her back into moonrise to see what would happen but it makes her really annoying to bring along

Medullah posted:

Before I realized it was the default name I thought it was slang for The Avatar

Ah yep the dragon age naming convention lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Docjowles posted:

But enough about my ex wife :laugh track:

yeah you're hosed on getting that companion because of Jaheira. She leads you to him. Because you get him so late though you aren't missing out on a TON of content. Like there is no companion quest other than recruiting him. He's pretty funny though

I took the two of them to meet Sarevok where they get a nice little bit of dialogue. Gonna try the same with viconia

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

This is true, but he also walks around in the sun which is the least vampire thing any one can possibly do.

I never played early access but I’ve heard he originally took damage crossing streams which lmao sounds both annoying and hilarious

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mycot posted:

I think people try to save her because there's a slightly different ending if she and Hope are alive (and the one with only Hope alive is pretty bittersweet), but it's basically impossible if you persuade Yurgir because he's AI controlled and will probably squash her on the first turn.

I did it my second (and likely final) playthrough and I ended up having to save/reload every turn. Same with iron throne and saving them all

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Out of curiosity do you fight the red dragon if you side with the emperor, or is it possible to never fight a dragon all game

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shard posted:

yeah you always fight it

Medullah posted:

I sided with the emperor and yep, the red dragon was there as well. I actually wondered if you have to fight it if you side with Orpheus since I assumed it was a Gith owned dragon.

You also get to fight the skeletal dragon if you can figure that puzzle out. :)

Interesting, thanks! Knew about the other but it’s optional so that was why I was curious

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

grack posted:

It's not last second. There are a number of story beats in Act 3 that paint the Emperor as a giant screaming rear end in a top hat that shouldn't be trusted under any circumstances.

Also they straight up tell you that they're manipulating you for their own ends.

I wonder how many people outright get the scene where he tries to scare you by revealing his real relationship with the duke and then outright says something along the lines of “you are nothing but my thrall”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any effect to being openly antagonistic to the Emperor or do you still end up at the same final decision? (assuming you get the hammer)

There aren’t any mechanical effects, no

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s been bothering me for a while and it doesn’t really matter but why isn’t it balduran’s gate, and don’t say that it’s because they didn’t want to change the name because he was inexplicably named that back in the first one, or at least his sword was, I guess it’s some kind of Carolina/Charles thing? Does d&d have a Latin equivalent?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

feller posted:

You don’t lose anyone (other than minthara obviously) unless they die in the raid which I haven’t seen happen yet. The raid is kinda fun and definitely worth doing once imo

it’s fun to steal all the smoke powder barrels and strategically stage them and win in one arrow. Unnecessary but very fun. You can also do that with house of grief and it’s similarly fun. Probably others too. The puzzle is working out the exact placement you need to take out the whole room in one big boom

If you don’t rescue Halsin first he rescues himself so that’s one little fight you miss out on although the rest of the goblin leaders are still there to go beat up

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 28, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Docjowles posted:

There's also the hidden shrine to her dead husband she very much doesn't want you to know about

Poor Khalid. He apparently died when we left him inside that small house in Beregost and party kicked him because I guess he could never remember how to open a door

Many such cases, primarily Dynaheir

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Iirc isn’t aerie’s worse?

I don’t know exactly how you quantify one or the other as worse because they’re both very uncomfortable in their own ways, but the infant taking up a quick slot in ToB was certainly a choice they made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I got the busker achievement solely because I was eating dinner and didn’t want to turn off the game for twenty minutes