Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

JazzFlight posted:

Did anyone else think it was really silly that the Native American griffin rider's home planet was some kind of Victorian England steampunk world where they wore bowler hats?
Like, during the writing process, did they think, "what would be the most surprising reveal for the homeworld for this character?"

I think it was someone in one of the GM'ing threads who said "if your campaign has too many settings, it has no setting." The world that this take place in isn't coherent at all. It's like tearing a page from 15 random comic books and stitching them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve found the only solution is to find a critic that you can tolerate and follow them enough to “get” their biases then compare that to their reviews.

Yea this is a far superior method, and definitely didn’t want to imply I’m anti-critic in general, but the RT score is so abstracted from anything useful and yet has taken over a lot of the core metric that people use to objectively judge movies in a frustrating and honestly troubling way

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like how the Empire has absolute superiority in aerial and space combat. Say what you will about its tech but the rest of the galaxy seems to be in worse shape. Even the rebels with their fighters only engage with them when the Dreadnought is already crashing. It sells how oppressive and overwhelming their power is, even if you beat their ground troops you just can't touch them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Buttchocks posted:

I think it was someone in one of the GM'ing threads who said "if your campaign has too many settings, it has no setting." The world that this take place in isn't coherent at all. It's like tearing a page from 15 random comic books and stitching them together.

buddy I have bad news about how most recognizable IPs got their settings from.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Buttchocks posted:

Pathfinder's Golarian is the most junkyard world ever, with Ye Olde Transvanian Vampire Intrigue to Pirate Islands to Lasers-and-Sandals Conan Space Nonsense to Steampunk Post Apocalypse and it works fine. I have never heard of this "rule" before in 40 years of playing TTRPGs and it's really quite stupid, honestly.

edit: Golarian map, it's memey and tongue-in-cheek but not TOO far off of actuality. https://www.reddit.com/r/dndmemes/comments/10jugdq/a_great_rundown_of_the_world_of_golarian/#lightbox

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 22, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Buttchocks posted:

Harsh criticism of Star Wars, but I can't dispute it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought it was peak laziness that people on Naboo wore the same threads they worse on Coruscant. Everyone who has ever touched the Star Wars franchise is a hackfraud.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why do people from different cultures and social clades wear different clothes? Why aren't they all in uniform jumpsuits? That's unrealistic, it breaks my immersion.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

checkplease posted:

More on this as it's good stuff, you can imagine much of the empire tech is simply taken from worlds they conquered. It's why there's a mix of big battleship like guns and astral plane resurrection pods. Or coal and enslaved goddesses.

I seriously doubt it. The military superiority of the Realm it's all because Motherworld learned how to capture and enslave the Kali, all their almost supernatural tech is powered by their infinite energy. The whole stagnation started after the death of the Royal family, 13 years ago.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 22, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MacheteZombie posted:

U keep calling it the tween version and it makes me irrationally angry lol

Tweens like rated r films!

I know! They certainly didn't ask for this; I remember what it was like to be one! You should be mad at Netflix, I'm just providing important context to the nerds seeking out a butchered cut of the movie

Carpet posted:

Anyway it turns out the grain actually was important to feeding the ships crew, and despite the audience having the knowledge that the army knew their men were dead, we kept up the pretense that harvesting the crop actually mattered.

And how exactly did that girl embroider multiple art works, personalised for people she has known at this point for, at most, 3 days? why didn't anyone tell her to get her rear end out to the fields to help get the wheat in?

Well, the audience aren't the characters in the film - they are still farmers who rely on the crop for their sustenance and profit regardless of whether the battleship returns. The girl probably did help with the harvest, even if her primary occupation is producing textiles, which she is apparently skilled enough at to add personal touches in a short period of time? Wow!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 22, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think the whole three day timeline was a little too compressed. The farmers harvested the crop in a third of the time they usually needed, AND they were trained to the point of being able to fight, AND they prepared a network of boobytrapped trenches, AND they recovered Kora ship? It's not a big deal, but it's also not very credible.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 22, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

People being kinda weirdly aggressively personal ITT. Tomato score is far from perfect but if there's better metric for what wider opinion of a movie is plz share.

its just a movie. noones posting about the lil white cuck ball~

Everyone's posting about the lil white grain farm

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

I seriously doubt it. The military superiority of the Realm it's all because Motherworld learned how to capture and enslave the Kali, all their almost supernatural tech is powered by their infinite energy. The whole stagnation started after the death of the Royal family, 13 years ago.

Not familiar with RB lore but going by Kora's story to Gunnar in part 1 and all the Heavy Metal iconography the empire's been stagnant for generations, if not since conception

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think the whole three day timeline was a little too compressed. The farmers harvested the crop in a third of the time they usually needed, AND they were trained to the point of being able to fight, AND they prepared a network of boobytrapped trenches, AND they recovered Kora ship? It's not a big deal, but it's also not very credible.

Agreed, but watching them go and do all that made me think that there must be some time fuckery going on, like a standard Velt day being 45 hours long instead of 24. There is never any indication for this to be the case outside of the harvesting and training montage so it's just a personal theory.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I got a question about Kora almost surrendering herself when Noble threatened the helpless people in the longhouse: What?

It's just a house, in the village. The Empire has scanners, and are assholes. How did Kora not see this coming? Was this already an attempt by her to get on the ship, or was the plan truly that bad that it almost got foiled by the Most Obvious Move Ever?

I think they anticipate the strike team going for the women and children, that’s why they left nemesis to guard them. Korra surrenders because Noble gives her an out that spares the villagers entirely from fighting (and likely losing)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Kali isn't a contradiction of conquering and stealing tech. Instead of inventing fusion or warp drives, they captured and enslaved some goddesses and use them like matrix batteries.

I read there is supposed to be an animated short film to explain this capture so guess we will find out more.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

checkplease posted:

The Kali isn't a contradiction of conquering and stealing tech. Instead of inventing fusion or warp drives, they captured and enslaved some goddesses and use them like matrix batteries.

I read there is supposed to be an animated short film to explain this capture so guess we will find out more.

There are red tubes leading from the coal furnaces into her and then blue tubes leading from her upwards into the ship. The "tech" is literally just enslaving other beings who do the work for them. There is no contradiction as you say.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wrote up a fairly lengthy review of this:

quote:

In my review of Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire I speculated that Snyder was returning to his roots in doling out crowd-pleasing action with simple moral messages, with the risk being that Star Wars was yet another revered cultural artifact he might be perceived as mistreating. Star Wars is serious business, even now, and there’s something typically audacious in Rebel Moon’s refusal to emulate it too closely. There’s no force, no monks, no robot peasants. In this second part there isn’t even any planet hopping save for flashbacks and recaps. Snyder is mythopoetic where Lucas is spiritual — what unites his band of adventurers is life, living and working, and much of the first half of Part 2 is given over to seeing the protagonists of Rebel Moon working the land in common with the villagers they have come to save, sharing food and drink and dance. It’s an earnest message that casts into relief the difficulty of such human connection even in Snyder’s own superhero efforts — Batman v Superman in particular hinging on the distance Superman’s existence puts him and the people he aids. The MCU often inelegantly sidestepped this by having the heroes defend property in the quickly achieved absence of people; cars and buildings and other totems, Thanos meeting his final defeat when he knocks over the campus building. The lack of humanity can become distracting — the Avengers famously share a shawarma, but they don’t share it with Happy Hogan. Rebel Moon is deeply concerned with human behaviours — love, work, sex, violence — in a way that is often absent in modern films.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I got to hold off reading that until I see the real version. Sorry Josh! I usually read your stuff right away.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
the grain is a metaphor for... grain

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got to hold off reading that until I see the real version. Sorry Josh! I usually read your stuff right away.

Done in by netflix's marketing decisions :negative:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Bit poo poo innit

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked it better than the first, but I am getting really bored of "Star Wars does Seven Samurai." Clone Wars did it, one of the other animated series did it, then Mandalorian did it. Now Rebel Moon. It's not something we need.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

(the dirty secret is that 50% of the original SW movie was Seven Samurai already)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Liked the first part better, this one felt even more of a edit mess, likely because it is the second half of a longer movie, and that took me out of it a lot. I dig the whole heavy on manual labour but powerful space tech, sorta Dunepunk, like how the ship cannon had to be aimed in by a periscope.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

YggdrasilTM posted:

(the dirty secret is that 50% of the original SW movie was Seven Samurai already The Hidden Fortress)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think it counts as a secret considering Lucas has openly stated that he was inspired by the movie.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Everyone really got to play a bit of dress up in part two

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I don't think it counts as a secret considering Lucas has openly stated that he was inspired by the movie.

Pretty sure The Hidden Fortress is the Kurosawa movie he always says inspired SW. ANH is certainly a lot closer to that than Seven Samurai, which I have a harder time seeing in Lucas’s films.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Seven Samurai is to Battle Beyond the Stars as Hidden Fortress is to Star Wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wanna see a Star Wars take on Ran or Throne of Blood now.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Finished this, a good read and gets at the heart of grain and Synder films. Also Jimmy.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Can someone convert this to tomatoes?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No, but it can be converted to grain.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bugblatter posted:

Pretty sure The Hidden Fortress is the Kurosawa movie he always says inspired SW. ANH is certainly a lot closer to that than Seven Samurai, which I have a harder time seeing in Lucas’s films.

Dersu Uzala is almost certainly an inspiration for Empire Strikes Back.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Finally got around to seeing pt2. It’s not as good as the first (almost no planets and only one alien!) but it’s fun for being largely a very simple story.

If you can’t follow the grain plot I am concerned for you.

I’m down for the longer versions. It’s a dumb setup, but I think it’ll be fun to compare the two. Part 3/4 i am hopeful that they do more travel and have some more colourful characters.

I like how they leave stuff to the imagination - that was a goddess AND a furnace? - but want a little bit more info on how people view the imperium and whether or not people know magic is real. More cantina scenes and some more colour please.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I saw that both part 1 and part 2 are on Netflix top 10 movies chart. Maybe this dumb strategy is working, short term at least.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe. It's still a stupid strategy. It's paced like a singular movie but is broken up into two parts, so you get one film that's all build-up then another that is the pay-off. It can work if part 2 came out like a week later but it was 4-5 months later. Then you have the real cuts of the film coming out sometime in the summer.

I don't care about critical consensus and I think Rotten Tomatoes is a blight upon the industry, but people put stock in that site's aggregate scores and it's not doing the film any favors, critically. Every single one of Snyder's director's cuts have been better than the initial release, even people who hate his stuff begrudgingly say they're better or, at least, some aspects of them are.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dersu Uzala is almost certainly an inspiration for Empire Strikes Back.

I've wondered for a while if parts of ESB weren't modeled after a '69 Shaw Bros wuxia film titled Dragon Swamp, in which a young women chases down a wizen old hermit who lives in the swamp to help her recover a magic sword stolen by a Darth Vader figure. Hidden and lost relations abound, with it being revealed that not only is Darth Vader her father, but Yoda is her mother.

checkplease posted:

I saw that both part 1 and part 2 are on Netflix top 10 movies chart. Maybe this dumb strategy is working, short term at least.

It's certainly one that permits the binge watch impulse.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

KVeezy3 posted:

Can someone convert this to tomatoes?

"Frosh"