Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Snyder needs to get netflix back in the physical media business. Start printing their exclusives on disc. There are a few on there that I'd buy 4k discs for.

Yeah I came into this thread wondering about this, because man my streaming/network/whatever was getting messy during some of the fight scenes. (Not so much that I couldn't follow it, but Netflix has always been extra-dodgy on my setup.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

checkplease posted:

Ok listened to Synders interview on the DGA. Man is a big dork who rambles, but very enthusiastic.
I genuinely don't know if it's a bit, but just fyi his name is spelled Zack Snyder

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Snyder needs to get netflix back in the physical media business. Start printing their exclusives on disc. There are a few on there that I'd buy 4k discs for.

Oh hell yes, plenty of Netflix Originals I'd love proper 4K Blu-ray releases for. At some point you'd think they're just leaving money on the table.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Papercut posted:

It's a testament to just how bad RM is that even the ST looks competent and interesting in comparison

Lol ok

CelticPredator posted:

Y’all just hypocrites fr

Idgi, how so?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Martman posted:

I genuinely don't know if it's a bit, but just fyi his name is spelled Zack Snyder

Nah just typing on my phone while a toddler tries to grab it. Will correct.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Oh hell yes, plenty of Netflix Originals I'd love proper 4K Blu-ray releases for. At some point you'd think they're just leaving money on the table.

Yeah and then there’s all the ones they acquire also. Irishman got a physical release, but hard to name others that have.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Rebel Moon is crazily 40k influenced. Specifically, late-90s/early-2000s 40k - where all the battle art was of guys screaming, shooting lasers in 1000 directions, and waving huge rear end flags. It's Zack Snyder's theatrical cut of the Dawn of War 1 intro video.

I didn't like it very much though. The only thing that really stood out as done well was the tailoring and costume design. I'm not sure if Netflix has a really awesome staff for that or standards are just really high lately because a lot of productions are hitting it out of the park.

Rebel Moon doesn't know what it wants to be. It feels like an ill thought out pastiche of several other films, with not much consideration given to making the parts fit together in a way that made sense. (I think this is the root of the 'AI-written' criticisms.) Rebel Moon wants to be an epic Star Wars story of the fate of the galaxy at the same time as it wants to be Seven Samurai, which is a much lower stakes adventure. Combining the two results in weird thematic disconnects and a lot of poo poo that doesn't make sense. The imperial dreadnought is a WORLD DESTROYER that can and does destroy whole civilizations. But the ultimate conflict we're building towards is that massive WORLD DESTROYER vs some shithole farming village. ????? Imagine if Star Wars Ep IV had culminated in the epic battle of the Death Star vs the Beru & Lars Farmstead.

The aesthetics are all over the place. The waterfall coming off the top of the mountain at the start sets the mood, but it gets weirder from there. For example, the port town of Providence is contradictory in its aesthetics. The town occupies a similar place in the plot as Mos Eisley does in Star Wars; an apparently lawless port city filled with villains and sailors. Mos Eisley is a sprawling settlement, where the only law is the rough and brutal enforcement of Imperial law by soldiers. Providence in contrast is a walled off square town, with not a single building outside the clean (and fairly ornamental) walls. Its orderly appearance suggests it is regimented and controlled, which is completely opposite to the lawless rapey hellhole it is shown to be in practice. As far as I can tell, Providence is a result of copying the aesthetic of the Japanese films in the pastiche without regard to aesthetic contradictions it imparts to the film.

Another thing Rebel Moon can't figure out is kings. Under the kings, the empire of the Motherworld is an all-consuming maw that engages in endless wars for resources. Scratch that, it engages in endless wars for no reason at all, because all we hear about is them constantly destroying whole planets. Yet the place the royal family occupies in the story is that of the previous Good Government that has been usurped by the fascist villains of the setting. You have your pure innocent princess who is MIA, you have the robot telling stories of how she was the hope for the future and peace and justice etc, and how the robots refuse to fight without a good princess to fight for. Which is it, Zack? Make up your mind!

Perhaps Rebel Moon could have been better with more run time... but I doubt it. So much of the film was wasted on pointless action scenes. What Star Wars accomplishes with one flash of a lightsaber and a mean look takes Rebel Moon dozens of blaster shots in a long, dragging gunfight sequence.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

checkplease posted:

Nah just typing on my phone while a toddler tries to grab it. Will correct.
lol not tryin to give you poo poo about it, it's just you spelled it that way every single time in this thread. and a lot of weirdos insist on spelling it "Zach" but generally only haters

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Another thing Rebel Moon can't figure out is kings. Under the kings, the empire of the Motherworld is an all-consuming maw that engages in endless wars for resources. Scratch that, it engages in endless wars for no reason at all, because all we hear about is them constantly destroying whole planets. Yet the place the royal family occupies in the story is that of the previous Good Government that has been usurped by the fascist villains of the setting. You have your pure innocent princess who is MIA, you have the robot telling stories of how she was the hope for the future and peace and justice etc, and how the robots refuse to fight without a good princess to fight for. Which is it, Zack? Make up your mind!

For all the problems the film has, I don't think this is one of them. The royal family is never presented as a "Good Government." The King is just another murderous warlord like his successor, with the fascists able to usurp the monarchy because the feudal kingdom was only a hair's breath from that to begin with. The King hoping that his magical daughter would establish peace just shows that he wasn't willing to do so, himself.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

One of the supplemental materials netflix put out reveals that the king was just a big of a murderous twat as the current regent is, and the many many kings before him, but the birth of his daughter softened him and turned him more doveish, implication being it was influenced by the godly wholesome goodness of his daughter. This heel turn is what prompted the more hawkish contingent of the senate (led by current regent Bellisarius) to hatch a coup and assassination plot. The king died, Bellisaurus took over and rededicated the empire to their evil nefarious ill-deeds. I assume this is going to be explored in future segments.

Regarding the World destroyer vs the village, Zack said in an interview there'll be a reason why they don't just nuke the whole village from orbit, but top of my head, if the regent wants Kora alive, then dropping a megaton warhead on her rear end is probably not a good idea for your future career prospects.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Now part 2 could change this, but I think the film is definitely pushing the princess is dead and not just mia. Jimmy talks about her being gone. And Kora was her body guard and mentions her death too. Also the girl that Kora saves in the barn is supposed to resemble the princess, giving Kora a second chance.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think the sequels will probably dig a little into what the king was like and he likely wasn’t much better and all that, I can see them starting very simple and getting into the more complicated bits later.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Rebel Moon is crazily 40k influenced. Specifically, late-90s/early-2000s 40k - where all the battle art was of guys screaming, shooting lasers in 1000 directions, and waving huge rear end flags. It's Zack Snyder's theatrical cut of the Dawn of War 1 intro video.

I didn't like it very much though. The only thing that really stood out as done well was the tailoring and costume design. I'm not sure if Netflix has a really awesome staff for that or standards are just really high lately because a lot of productions are hitting it out of the park.

Rebel Moon doesn't know what it wants to be. It feels like an ill thought out pastiche of several other films, with not much consideration given to making the parts fit together in a way that made sense. (I think this is the root of the 'AI-written' criticisms.) Rebel Moon wants to be an epic Star Wars story of the fate of the galaxy at the same time as it wants to be Seven Samurai, which is a much lower stakes adventure. Combining the two results in weird thematic disconnects and a lot of poo poo that doesn't make sense. The imperial dreadnought is a WORLD DESTROYER that can and does destroy whole civilizations. But the ultimate conflict we're building towards is that massive WORLD DESTROYER vs some shithole farming village. ????? Imagine if Star Wars Ep IV had culminated in the epic battle of the Death Star vs the Beru & Lars Farmstead.

Star wars ep 4 does culminate in the death star vs Lars homestead, what injustice do you think Biggs & Luke and by implication the other pilots are motivated by?

checkplease posted:

Now part 2 could change this, but I think the film is definitely pushing the princess is dead and not just mia. Jimmy talks about her being gone. And Kora was her body guard and mentions her death too. Also the girl that Kora saves in the barn is supposed to resemble the princess, giving Kora a second chance.

Calling it now Kora is the assassin

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 11, 2024

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

One of the supplemental materials netflix put out reveals that the king was just a big of a murderous twat as the current regent is, and the many many kings before him, but the birth of his daughter softened him and turned him more doveish, implication being it was influenced by the godly wholesome goodness of his daughter. This heel turn is what prompted the more hawkish contingent of the senate (led by current regent Bellisarius) to hatch a coup and assassination plot. The king died, Bellisaurus took over and rededicated the empire to their evil nefarious ill-deeds. I assume this is going to be explored in future segments.

All this makes sense and can be inferred from the movie, it just seems like Snyder is eternally doomed to not make things clear. Gary Elves gets one scene with audible lines, expressing the hope that things will be different when his daughter rules. Then he gets 2 1/2 scenes of screaming at his troops from his Reichstagstribüne in a stark contrast to his softer tone.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

ZS sure does, 5/7 of the casts are kings or monarchy supporters. Which is yet another reason why in the novel the whole "the repented stormtrooper is actually the son of a king, that infiltrated the army for vengeance" is really frustrating.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 11, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

All this makes sense and can be inferred from the movie, it just seems like Snyder is eternally doomed to not make things clear. Gary Elves gets one scene with audible lines, expressing the hope that things will be different when his daughter rules. Then he gets 2 1/2 scenes of screaming at his troops from his Reichstagstribüne in a stark contrast to his softer tone.

I feel like a lot of people have a tendency to actively misunderstand things in Zack Snyder movies and then get mad at the movies for it. That said, that this movie is basically a contractual obligation to get the movie he wants to make, and at least the third time his stuff's been hacked to pieces by idiots for idiot reasons, it's hard to pin a lot of that on him either.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I think it's pretty clear. He's out in front of his stormtroopers waving the same kind of staff Noble used to bludgeon people to death during a monologue about how, as a conquered person, Kora was broken down and rebuilt in their image and actively fought for her conquerors. Then we see the same king later on, much greyer and with a santa claus beard saying maybe things'll be better with my cute kid with magical powers and we won't be an expansionist murder empire. Then he was murdered.

It's a story in three parts!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bongo Bill posted:

How dare you, Ian McShane was drat good on it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

https://youtu.be/J9X_FmCbrIA?si=N72Ya3TfDWpoZAEu

I bring tidings of great ownage

YggdrasilTM posted:

ZS sure does, 5/7 of the casts are kings or monarchy supporters. Which is yet another reason why in the novel the whole "the repented stormtrooper is actually the son of a king, that infiltrated the army for vengeance" is really frustrating.

Lol yeah, like Marty loves violent crime

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, they nailed it.

Also their C3PO and Vader is fantastic!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I don't know if they nailed it, RB doesn't have exposition dumps immediately and when they drop they're not very redundant, the slow motion isn't random but for emphasis, etc. It is a butchered edit, that's captured well.

Jimbot posted:

I think it's pretty clear. He's out in front of his stormtroopers waving the same kind of staff Noble used to bludgeon people to death during a monologue about how, as a conquered person, Kora was broken down and rebuilt in their image and actively fought for her conquerors. Then we see the same king later on, much greyer and with a santa claus beard saying maybe things'll be better with my cute kid with magical powers and we won't be an expansionist murder empire. Then he was murdered.

It's a story in three parts!

I assume it's the same staff, a hip bone of an imperial saint or conquered royalty or something.

I think it's important to remember that there's no such thing as a reliable narrator; all we see of the Emperor and his daughter is Kora's story to Gunnar - it's either her traumatized memory or his naive imagination.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 11, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I actually liked some of the touches. The slow motion hollerin' at Luke's farmstead was legit.

Obviously it's over the top and parodic, but I think they got some of it right. The shot of Vader's booted feet, the exposition, that kind of thing. The phat beat on Obiwan was just good fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This was great, lmao.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Actually one thing I was disappointed with Rebel Moon was the lack of speed ramping. Slo-mo is well and good but the speed ramping is where the good poo poo is at. Disappointed in Snyder on that front. What's going on guy?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Aren't the cuts where he goes slower motion when he's already doing slow motion a kind of speed ramp?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually liked some of the touches. The slow motion hollerin' at Luke's farmstead was legit.

Obviously it's over the top and parodic, but I think they got some of it right. The shot of Vader's booted feet, the exposition, that kind of thing. The phat beat on Obiwan was just good fun.

Parody aside, is Snyder a big exposition guy? I always think of that more of a Nolan thing. Many of the BvS complaints seem to be on people needing more info. Or 300 doesn’t really have big exposition dumps. I guess ZSJL does have some (cave paintings with Wonder Woman).

Granted Rebel Moon has its share of exposition with Kora flashbacks, but even still many seem like they want more about the Kings and grain types.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Einkorn or rye??? It's never clear!! Hack Snyder fails again

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

checkplease posted:

Parody aside, is Snyder a big exposition guy? I always think of that more of a Nolan thing. Many of the BvS complaints seem to be on people needing more info. Or 300 doesn’t really have big exposition dumps. I guess ZSJL does have some (cave paintings with Wonder Woman).

Granted Rebel Moon has its share of exposition with Kora flashbacks, but even still many seem like they want more about the Kings and grain types.

Noble gives a giant exposition dump about each character at the end that I thought was pretty funny.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

teagone posted:

Noble gives a giant exposition dump about each character at the end that I thought was pretty funny.

Oh right yeah that one was telling us more specifics than we had learned so far ha.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Anthony hopkins exposition dumping not once, but twice was pretty funny. Like an old man at the bus talking the ear of off anyone who will listen about this really cool girl Issa

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
300 is technically all exposition.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1747665083382018460

lmao netflix what on earth

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The official drink of the pillaging space fascists?!?!? Huh?!?!?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alright

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kinda funny tho. Liquid Death has that tongue firmly in cheek.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah that’s pretty great. Also made it clear that thirsty fascists want wheat and not some other grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They need to find a place that grows barley and hops next but it’s probably defended by another runaway super warrior