Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a meme cut of the movie, so here's a meme commercial to go with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

They need to find a place that grows barley and hops next but it’s probably defended by another runaway super warrior

He who controls the beer controls the universe

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't quite work - spice is the secret to interstellar travel, but beer only lets you do short h

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thats not beer, its water

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I see you've studied the secrets of planet Doon.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Just finished watching this with my wife and it really did not work for us. There were parts where something more interesting and creative peeked through that were really cool:

- I would have liked to follow whatever the hell was going on with the robot who reluctantly shoots a guy, his whole thing was very interesting.

- Whatever that fuckin Metroid alien thing in the bar that was talking via... a dead? guy?? loving fantastic. Should have made that thing a party member.

- Gross spider lady was insanely creepy, with a scary reveal.

- Phenomenal design and execution on the costumes, possibly the most stand out element of the whole thing for me. Strong visual identity from that alone.

But most everything else felt very rote and, at times, even amateurish, which just should not happen when you're a director with the experience and chops of someone who's been in the biz as long as Snyder has.

I think, even above being rather derivative rather often, the film's biggest sin for me was never really selling why I should care about most of the events I am seeing. It just felt like this lady walks into a series of different sets and essentially either gets in a bar fight, watches a bar fight, or says "hey come with me, no for real though" and that's just everything that happens in between a decently tense opening and a totally perfunctory ending.

WHY DOES THE GUN POD ON YOUR SPACESHIP CONTROL THE ENTIRE SPACESHIP SUCH THAT THE GUNNER'S JOYSTICK WILL CRASH THE WHOLE VESSEL IF HE LEANS ON IT

Liked it more than Army of the Dead which idk just felt dumb and meanspirited to me, liked it less than Jupiter Ascending, which is a very bad space opera but which at least felt entirely unique, for better or worse, and like the creators of it were having fun making the most weirdly self indulgent big budget movie in at least a decade. Rebel Moon felt to me like Snyder making a movie out of a box of spare parts he wasn't actually that excited about anymore.

Edit: looking around, it seems the second half of the movie was edited badly on purpose as a joke by Netflix or something? Idk but it makes sense why I thought the first half held together better.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The movie was deliberately pared down by an hour and cut to pg-13 so that they could release a Snydercut of both movies this summer, which are an hour longer apiece and are hard R.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The dropship pilot can also fire the guns, similar to some irl military helicopters

I also liked the creepy corpse-parasite but Kora is recruiting ronins, not "oracles"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Snyder is a complicated dude for me cause almost every one of his movies hits me in both a "this didn't land enough for me to unambiguously love it" way as well as a "there is too much interesting stuff happening here for me to discount it" way. I'm sorta glad he took a little break from being the main character of The Discourse for a while, cause I feel like it let me approach him again as A Guy Who Is Making Stuff instead of A Guy I Am Apparently Going To Have To Have Some Form Of Exhausting Conversation About If I Engage With His Output if you know what I mean.

I'll give the director's cut a go when it drops and hopefully it will feel more cohesive to me, but it would definitely have to shake up a number of things that I'm not sure it would. Like there are a few more exposition dumps than I'd have liked, which go on a fair bit longer than they ought to imo. Or a few patches of dialogue that just felt really underbaked (or maybe under-delivered? idk). Maybe it will be better about time, distance, and space as well. It felt like everyone was just exactly where they needed to be with zero opportunity cost or delay despite ostensibly traveling a gazillion space miles between every scene, but that's just a personal bugaboo I have about the way a lot of sci fi deals with space travel.

I get your point about collecting badasses and not creepy goblins, I just really liked that creepy goblin. Why couldn't the creepy goblin be a badass! More and more people are asking this!!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like we've got a runtime for part 2.

https://twitter.com/SnyderNetflix/status/1759666508760768935

2 hours 1 minute. So about the sweet 90 minute spot with that extra 30 coming from all the slow-mo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pointless movie. I’ll wait for the dlc

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I read somewhere that Snyder regards the PG-13 version as 'almost an alternate universe version' of the R-rated cut. Not sure what that even means, precisely. Possibly the R cut has a lot more focus on sexual violence, aka, good filmmaking as far as Snyder is concerned.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s different because “exactly 2 hours” is the Extremely Suspicious runtime, silly.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah guess Netflix is quite serious about that 2 hour ideal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I read somewhere that Snyder regards the PG-13 version as 'almost an alternate universe version' of the R-rated cut. Not sure what that even means, precisely. Possibly the R cut has a lot more focus on sexual violence, aka, good filmmaking as far as Snyder is concerned.

i like mr snyder, but the guy just yaps.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They're gonna end differently.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The long version excludes all criticism of fascism.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

In the long version we find that the short version is an inconsequential side plot of the real story. Noble was the real protagonist all along.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The long version is just the short version x2.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know you guys pretty much all hated the short version so let me promise you, the long version really is nothing like that movie. A completely different movie, really. Please watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean he’s proven twice that his longer cuts vastly improve everything

It’s just dumb I have to wait and it feels artificial.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Yup

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

graventy posted:

I know you guys pretty much all hated the short version so let me promise you, the long version really is nothing like that movie. A completely different movie, really. Please watch.

I don't think it will be a completely different movie but 50% more runtime in a movie about a team mission will hopefully add a lot. I mean, think about how much stuff in Seven Samurai would have to change if the studios had arbitrarily made Kurosawa cut 40 minutes from it (not comparing Snyder to Kurosawa as a director).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's like a 95% chance that the spider monster's going to have nipples, so get ready for that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's like a 95% chance that the spider monster's going to have nipples, so get ready for that.

Rebel Moon: the spider monster's going to have nipples

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Don't threaten me with a good time!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

graventy posted:

I liked the short version it was just cut to poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Go on......

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yes

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The short version was cool and good actually, it's just that a longer version with sex and violence will be :krad:

:sickos:

Anyway, hoping Scargiver has a lot more Fra Fee

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

organic webshooters? very sam Raimi

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I wouldn't call the short sanitized version good, per se, but I enjoyed how it reminded me of channel-flipping to a potentially interesting action movie I've never heard of

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blood Boils posted:

I wouldn't call the short sanitized version good, per se, but I enjoyed how it reminded me of channel-flipping to a potentially interesting action movie I've never heard of

Yeah, I think the short version was decent, but heavily flawed, so I'm looking forward to the full version hopefully fixing those flaws. I may skip the short version of part 2 and waiting for the full version, if that ends up being true.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I mean he’s proven twice that his longer cuts vastly improve everything

It's really funny that Netflix did this, what they should have done as part of the marketing is antagonize Snyder himself. They just bought exclusive rights to WWE, they should smarten up and do some angles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Quoted from the Snyder Dome:

The MSJ posted:

Found this on Threads LOL

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/SnyderQueen_/status/1764041903891169376?s=20

Big news, sickos!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

lol what. I ain't watching all that to see if that's what they actually say in the video, kinda sounds like it could be a misinterpretation cause otherwise that's really odd

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Martman posted:

lol what. I ain't watching all that to see if that's what they actually say in the video, kinda sounds like it could be a misinterpretation cause otherwise that's really odd

If their plan is to drop the directors cut a couple months after part 2 edited edition then I can see them dropping both parts at once

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
He literally starts talking about it a mine and a half in, says the two director cuts should drop on the same day sometime this summer.

Later he also went in a bit about some lore and what didn't make it in the PG13 cut and he revealed how the dreadnaughts are able to fold time.
they apparently captured goddesses from other dimensions and chained them to the engines :black101:

Also talks a bit about how he's writing a King Arthur-esqe tale set in the wild west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

wyoming posted:

Also talks a bit about how he's writing a King Arthur-esqe tale set in the wild west.

Zack Snyder is my son when he didn't clean his room and can't find a specific toy for a scene he has in mind so he'll just take whatever and pretends those cowboys ard actually knights because eh, close enough.