Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

josh04 posted:

A spectre is haunting cinema— the spectre of Snyder. All the powers of old Twitter have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: critic and blogger, Letterboxd user and IMDB nerd, MCU radicals and animation police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as a Snyder-esque bot army by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of 'DC fan', against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Snyder's army is already acknowledged by all online powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Snyder fans should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Snyder with a manifesto of the fandom itself.

To this end, Snyder fans of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in gyms in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages.

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that's the source of the complaints. This cut of the movie makes the Rogue One crew look robust and developed.

They were?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

what an awful concept

I do this with almost everything, is it not normal or something

Ugh, don't you just hate it when things spark your imagination?!!?

Mordiceius posted:

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

If bad press had any influence over him I think his career would look pretty different. Like he woulda retired after Dawn lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sounds like Snyder made this movie to trick us into forgetting all his previous pro fascist movies

Well I'm too smart and good at reading (and doing other things good too) to fall for that! Negative five out of ten!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

checkplease posted:

grains complaints is the dumbest thing.

You're not thinking tactically enough!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

No Luck Needed posted:

you are correct. The point was to scare the villagers into complying.

the grain problem is a problem of world building. Is this moon part of the Human Empire? Do these people own this land? if they own it, where is the deed registered? is it with the Human Empire? Why would moon farmers not want to help the Human Empire? does the Human Empire not helping moon farmers? is this an illegal moon farm? are moon farmers separatists? are they Human citizens? Why is the Empire bad? How do Moon people know about this bad empire? Why cant the Humans make new robots? Do aliens also make robots?

the movie is interesting but also too shallow

:lol: I remember my first beer movie

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sure. That's why I said that it's not a big deal. But again, let's not pretend that it makes sense.

You're trying to think about it as if it was real, but this approach would make any movie nonsense. The one in a million odds makes perfect narrative sense, because it's a story about (amongst other things no doubt) how exploiters reap what they sow. There is no farm where this empire wouldn't turn up a Kora!

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Charlie Hunnam should be court ordered to stop doing accents.

This seems like an exceptionally cruel punishment for a Geordie. He already had to grow up in Newcastle, hasn't he suffered enough

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 23, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Please watch more movies before posting in this forum

Now now, it's a lotta fun when peeps make insane posts, I don't want that to stop. Plus, effective communication is a learning process - the "why is the empire bad? How do the spaceships work? Why do they eat bread instead of rice? Why is dirt brown?" guy clearly needs someone to get him to hold up and reflect on why these bizarre questions are even occurring to him, and we're just the goons for the job!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The soldier is a rapist, and she's "loving" him, get it?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Studios keep trying to think of ways to gently caress him but he's too many steps ahead, love it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It was part of the plan

I know I'm just slandering Netflix

Like it's almost a stereotype of a bad studio mandate to produce an r rated 4 hr film, then cut it in half and sanitize it for the tween rating

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

kalel posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but it's a masterpiece. I know because it says "zack snyder" on it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

You owned them that for sure

The big problem with nerds & fan media they rely on isn't even that they're wrong necessarily about a given film (theatrical cut skwad IS badly edited), but that their criticisms are so inconsistently applied. Which only confirms that they aren't really worth considering except in mockery.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

After the rape barn scene I was really hoping the party would be Kora, secret princess, pacifist stormtrooper, and cool robot. Instead we got boring as hell whitebread Synder insert character Gunnar and the other characters got shelved. Laaaaaaaame.

Frankly, I would have been up for Jimmy as the main character altogether.

Gunnar isn't the self insert, Noble is, duh!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Name Change posted:

Roger Corman made this movie twice in the 80's (Battle Beyond the Stars, Space Raiders). The "unique" factor is the Seven Samurai plot, which has been done 85 million times, but relatively few times in space (including by Star Wars itself, now).

To be clear, that isn't in itself bad and what's more, Snyder has been very clear that the origins of this were an unused Star Wars concept. What doesn't jump off the screen to me personally is what this brings to the cultural conversation besides Battle Beyond the Stars + a reported $166 million dollars. It's not like explicitly antifascist fantasies are in short supply. Enough reel to prove that Sofia Boutella has been criminally underused? Sure.

E: I guess the enemies of the fascists being actual minorities/non-western cultures instead of More White People.

I'm antifa & I love fantasy movies, i wasn't aware there was an abundance of explicit ones out there!? Who's got a list??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Name Change posted:

You are the one who claimed you couldn't understand why this is commonly considered a Star Wars ripoff:

"A Star Wars movie was my original concept for it.”

Every Star Wars movie, Inglorious Basterds, Pan's Labyrinth. Why didn't you know about these movies? Are you stupid?

8 movies across 5 decades isn't exactly what I would call an abundance lol

Also these are all obvious and popular choices, I had hoped you had a more impressive selection :mediocre:

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 31, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's gonna be funny when the final cut is released and it doesn't contain any additional characterisation or things that were missing but it contains an extra hour of griffons or sweaty pecs I dunno I haven't seen this one yet.

Like I remember the snyder cut discourse where everyone was talking about how the snyder cut would add in some Lois and Martha characterisation in their cut scene.

And it did and was quite a good scene then it ends with martha transforming into green goblin and winking at the camera, making it even worse than the boiiiiing whedon original in terms of female characterisation, in a way no one could have predicted.

I want the rebel moon equivalent of that

Well it did contain more & better characterization than Whedon's (who as awful as it was was also characterization - it still counts even if we wish it didn't!). Snydercut scene characterizes 3 characters: Lois, Martha, then after the reveal, Manhunter and Martha by her absence.

Lois & Martha aren't close enough to turn to each other, both physically (Kansas vs Metropolis) and emotionally (they've met maybe twice, once being Clark's funeral). The scene communicates how their grief is isolating them both. Manhunter as Swanwick has a long relationship of mutual respect with Lois, and since he's a shapeshifter he wouldn't consider trickery as an illegitimate way to help a friend in genuine need. His alienness and humanity are simultaneously emphasized.

It sits awkwardly in the story for sure, but it's not really all that weird for a cbm

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Squinty posted:

IMO this doesn't quite work because the lighting and framing scream to me that the focal point should be 100% on the girl's face, but instead it's just slightly out of focus in favor of her hands, her skirt, the rock she's sitting on, the robot's chest, and some random blades of grass. It's just slightly offputting for the composition to draw so much attention to something that's not in focus.

I have no opinion on lenses/focus debate but that's a funny username + post combo :p

Name Change posted:

Well at least Zack got to obvious, popular is another story

Ok but that wasn't the point of contention - you implied there was a plethora of these antifa fantasy movies, but could only name a few well-known titles spread over a time period older than me. Bit of a letdown

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Name Change posted:

I met deliberately lovely, obtuse, and snobby posting about blockbusters (of all things) with the same. An explicitly antifascist fantasy movie comes out just about every month. You may as well ask about Seven Samurai adaptations.

There's nothing wrong with blockbusters, I was commenting on your implication that there are a lot of antifa fantasy movies, so many that's it's ridiculous to be skeptical. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that there are some lesser known ones out there.

I would genuinely love some rec's! The most recent coming to mind is 2018's Robin Hood, I'm drawing a blank otherwise

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Well, I couldn't resist the "worst of all time" appeals, so I watched it: honestly, not bad at all. While obviously cut to the bone and pathetically sanitized, it's still pretty solid for the genre. As has been said, the comparisons to Star Wars are a little off, this way more Heavy Metal inspired. I'm not understanding any of the complaints except for the obvious gaps caused by the editing - the sfx and cinematography were beautiful, that's probably Charlie's real accent, the designs were cool, the story is good and fun, the acting is fine. Definitely excited to see the proper version whenever it drops! Basically:

kalel posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but it's a masterpiece. I know because it says "zack snyder" on it

Alhazred posted:

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio.

I'm iffy on del Toro but on the other hand I do enjoy that old weird fairy tale. Thanks!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

well why not posted:

It’s a pretty meaningless point to make 40+ years after Star Wars redefined sci-fi.

Like, what sci-fi action doesn’t have either a direct Star Wars influence?

This really borrowed more from Star Wars’ own influence - namely: stealing from Kurosawa and Westerns. The structure is pretty much just Seven Samurai, copied even closer than Rogue One’s take on it.

Alhazred posted:

It's not entirely wrong either. After all, they go to a scummy bar and recruits a smuggler. It's also worth noting that Star Wars itself is heavily inspired by european sci-fi comics.

And Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers & & & . .

So yea for sure there's constant cross-pollination in the genre, I just felt Rebel Moon leaned more Heavy Metal in terms of tone and content. Though admittedly I've only seen the first movie and read like 2 of the magazines at random. Pretty fun, very trashy!

What? I've seen most of his filmography lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tbf to the Star Wars side of things, Rebel Moon is basically "what if the ST didn't blink at it's own brainwashed child soldiers rebelling plot?"

Or "what of the resistance was actually cool and good?"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

All these ST defenders making me truly question my sicko status

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Zach should watch Silent Night for a slow-mo 101

Silent Night was really good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is that the guy who the Mexican kids follow around and he tells them to not diss their fathers for not being gunmen?

No, that's Bernardo, idiot! :rolleyes:

Jimbot posted:

What on earth? Look at this guy not knowing Charles Bronson from James Coburn. This forum's gone to the dogs, I tell ya what.

smdh lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Papercut posted:

It's a testament to just how bad RM is that even the ST looks competent and interesting in comparison

Lol ok

CelticPredator posted:

Y’all just hypocrites fr

Idgi, how so?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Rebel Moon is crazily 40k influenced. Specifically, late-90s/early-2000s 40k - where all the battle art was of guys screaming, shooting lasers in 1000 directions, and waving huge rear end flags. It's Zack Snyder's theatrical cut of the Dawn of War 1 intro video.

I didn't like it very much though. The only thing that really stood out as done well was the tailoring and costume design. I'm not sure if Netflix has a really awesome staff for that or standards are just really high lately because a lot of productions are hitting it out of the park.

Rebel Moon doesn't know what it wants to be. It feels like an ill thought out pastiche of several other films, with not much consideration given to making the parts fit together in a way that made sense. (I think this is the root of the 'AI-written' criticisms.) Rebel Moon wants to be an epic Star Wars story of the fate of the galaxy at the same time as it wants to be Seven Samurai, which is a much lower stakes adventure. Combining the two results in weird thematic disconnects and a lot of poo poo that doesn't make sense. The imperial dreadnought is a WORLD DESTROYER that can and does destroy whole civilizations. But the ultimate conflict we're building towards is that massive WORLD DESTROYER vs some shithole farming village. ????? Imagine if Star Wars Ep IV had culminated in the epic battle of the Death Star vs the Beru & Lars Farmstead.

Star wars ep 4 does culminate in the death star vs Lars homestead, what injustice do you think Biggs & Luke and by implication the other pilots are motivated by?

checkplease posted:

Now part 2 could change this, but I think the film is definitely pushing the princess is dead and not just mia. Jimmy talks about her being gone. And Kora was her body guard and mentions her death too. Also the girl that Kora saves in the barn is supposed to resemble the princess, giving Kora a second chance.

Calling it now Kora is the assassin

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 11, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

https://youtu.be/J9X_FmCbrIA?si=N72Ya3TfDWpoZAEu

I bring tidings of great ownage

YggdrasilTM posted:

ZS sure does, 5/7 of the casts are kings or monarchy supporters. Which is yet another reason why in the novel the whole "the repented stormtrooper is actually the son of a king, that infiltrated the army for vengeance" is really frustrating.

Lol yeah, like Marty loves violent crime

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I don't know if they nailed it, RB doesn't have exposition dumps immediately and when they drop they're not very redundant, the slow motion isn't random but for emphasis, etc. It is a butchered edit, that's captured well.

Jimbot posted:

I think it's pretty clear. He's out in front of his stormtroopers waving the same kind of staff Noble used to bludgeon people to death during a monologue about how, as a conquered person, Kora was broken down and rebuilt in their image and actively fought for her conquerors. Then we see the same king later on, much greyer and with a santa claus beard saying maybe things'll be better with my cute kid with magical powers and we won't be an expansionist murder empire. Then he was murdered.

It's a story in three parts!

I assume it's the same staff, a hip bone of an imperial saint or conquered royalty or something.

I think it's important to remember that there's no such thing as a reliable narrator; all we see of the Emperor and his daughter is Kora's story to Gunnar - it's either her traumatized memory or his naive imagination.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 11, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Einkorn or rye??? It's never clear!! Hack Snyder fails again

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The dropship pilot can also fire the guns, similar to some irl military helicopters

I also liked the creepy corpse-parasite but Kora is recruiting ronins, not "oracles"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I wouldn't call the short sanitized version good, per se, but I enjoyed how it reminded me of channel-flipping to a potentially interesting action movie I've never heard of

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Given the hackjob Netflix did on the baby cut it's weird that there seems to be more complaints about the farming than anything else.

I outta dig up some posts from another movie forum complaining about the field Sophia was plowing being unrealistic or something, it was very funny

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Einkorn or rye??? It's never clear!! Hack Snyder fails again

Edit: to call it a subplot seems generous

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 9, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Someone still has to produce that beef & syrup Sizzurp, TM.

There's no extrapolating away from the farmers, they're present everywhere we turn!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There's a meanness to him now

:getin:

RBA Starblade posted:

What do focus groups think about grain

They can't get enough of it!!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There s probably a hoedown in part 1 but it was cut from the tween release for being too salacious with the thigh-slapping

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Love how goons defending the last movie were all “listen, the impracticality of the stupid grain doesn’t matter, it’s just a power play by the empire to mess with them” when this movie spends so much time showing that the grain actually was very important. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes showing them harvest the wheat by hand in future sci-fi world with floating wagon tech.

This movie was absolute garbage.

I liked your tweet thread

But for the wrong reasons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

What a senseless waste of cinematography.

And at a time when supply is so low!

:bisonyes: