Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

McCloud posted:

Apparently there's tentacles.

Hell yeah.

Don't know why they held back this selling point from trailers and posters. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't really been following what's been going on with this movie. Where was it said that Netflix mandated that the film be cut to poo poo? Was their confirmation of a director's cut?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still really confused. I'm curious about this film but people here are saying this film was purposely cut down by Netflix? And there will be a director's cut?

Is any of that confirmed? Or is it all just speculation?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fascinating. Are there any good articles about this? I’d love to read more about what all happened.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This has been in the back of my mind since they pre-announced a Snyder Cut in the marketing, there's essentially no reason to do this other than to create buzz given that frequent collaborator Mike Flanagan drops projects of arbitrary length on the platform all the time.

It feels so odd even if it is a marketing thing. Like, maybe wait until a month or two after the first version comes out?

"Yeah, the version releasing in a week is cut to poo poo. We're doing a directors cut next year?"
Okay, then why should I even watch the one coming out next week?

It makes me think of how Jason Momoa is going around during Aquaman marketing and talking about how he's probably not Aquaman anymore and this version of the character is over. Way to really sell the film to me!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If their plan was always to have a PG-13 2hour cut and an R-rated director cut, why not just release them both and let people watch the version they prefer?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

teagone posted:

My guess is Netflix wanted a ~2 hour PG-13 family friendly cut for people on holiday to watch and this is what Snyder and his team were able to deliver. They also probably didn't want to cannibalize streaming numbers when there's potential for double dipping. It's dumb, but they did it and now all we can do is just wait.

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not sure if it was posted yet but part 2’s trailer was released

https://youtu.be/Cf16jEmvJUY?si=clqhvKmGJZE0cSdq

Sincere question - is this part 2 is also going to be super chopped up with the promise of a director's cut in the future? And if so, why would anyone even feel compelled to watch it instead of waiting?

Is the plan for there be the Part 1 chopped up current release, chopped up part 2 in April, directors cut part 1 in summer, and then a later - maybe winter '24 - director's cut part 2?

It feels like everything surrounding these films from the marketing to the releases to the discourse itself is incredibly loving stupid.

I can't help but feel like Netflix is poisoning the well with how they're doing this. This first release is clearly, from the words of both fans and non-fans, incredibly compromised. So why would people tune in for anything more? "Lets put out the inferior version first. This will make people want to see an inferior sequel while waiting for the 'true' vision."

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It is such a fascinatingly stupid idea and I can't help but feel like the entire thing is going to backfire spectacularly. First impressions are so goddamn important - especially when it comes to film media.

Critically speaking, this film is not being very well received. Even here, the reception is contentious at best. Most people do not keep up on entertainment news of stuff like "oh, this is a PG-13 cut and the 'true' vision director's cut will come out next summer." Hell, I didn't even know that when the film released.

I would suspect that a large percentage of people are going to watch this and be like "eh... it's not that great" and then when the sequel comes out, they'll just skip it entirely. I doubt a director's cut will pull them back. As I mentioned, the well has already been poisoned.

Hell, I'm not opposed to directors cuts that "fix" a theatrical version that was pushed by a studio, but usually that's something that comes way latter and isn't part of the studio's original marketing/release plan.

Everything about how this is being managed is so incredibly loving stupid.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

I'm iffy on del Toro

:goofy:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

teagone posted:

I really enjoy Pacific Rim, Blade 2, both Hellboys, The Shape of Water, and Mimic.

Nightmare Alley is good imo imo.

Also, I'm the guy that likes Crimson Peak since it's the Haunted Mansion movie that Disney refused to make.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's like a 95% chance that the spider monster's going to have nipples, so get ready for that.

Go on......

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Roth posted:

I have not "agreed" with many of the 'tomatometer' ratings

:mrgw:

Roth posted:

to the praise for... ...Everything Everywhere All at Once.

:mrwhite:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m not convinced it’s especially important to find the best source for“wide opinion of a movie” but it’s not like the Tomatometer even does that. It flattens critical writings into a “pass/fail” grade then gives you a percentage of how many critics rated it as “pass”. Which in this case means about 1 in 5 critics rated it anywhere from a B- to an A+ and the other 4 rated it a C+ or worse. Which…I’m not sure how helpful that actually is except people sure do love to post low scores as a dunk

Personally, I don't like when people use the Rotten Tomatoes audience score as if it has much merit. Generally speaking, people are only going to review movies if they feel at the extremes. Either they extremely love it (or are a superfan in general) or they extremely hate it. Not much room for nuance.

Generally speaking, I don't mind looking at the critic scores as those are people that are reviewing as part of their job. And sure, it's not going to be unbiased, but I mainly use it as a one stop reference for critics I'm familiar with to see how they react.

Roth posted:

What can I say, I don't like poo poo cinema and it really didn't make me think or feel like I watched a new experience that I couldn't get from Rick & Morty.

:goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The RT audience score at the very least isn’t trying to disguise what it actually represents the way the critics score is treated as a “grade” by so many people, but yeah high-fiving over a 100% audience score before a movie is released is extremely dumb

Reviews for anything, be it movies, music, or games, is in an interesting place imo.

Obviously, the best answer is to just go experience it yourself, but that’s not always a solution. I feel like reviews do have a bit of a purpose. “Should I spend the money to go see <movie> in theaters” “Should I get a sub for <service> to watch <show>.” You can’t necessarily go to a thread for said thing because it will be filled with fans that will obviously endorse it. Rotten Tomatoes isn’t better in that regard. Same with games. Can’t listen to YouTubers/Twitch streamer influencer types because they’re all marketing tools in the end.

I’ve found the only solution is to find a critic that you can tolerate and follow them enough to “get” their biases then compare that to their reviews.

Overkill, I know. In the end, a lot of people want quick feedback for “is this worth spending money on” and there isn’t an easy answer. :(