Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
The director's cut is going to own.
Yes, more time to breathe would be great but there is a lot of efficient visual storytelling shorthand used to understand who these people are. Djimon Hounsou ( who is somehow 59 years old, Jesus Christ what a shape he is in ) was in a coloseum in the city of Pollux on the planet Castor, is named Titus and is a former general. He is Maximus from Gladiator, if Djimon was cast as him instead of a side character and also if Maximus realized that maybe conquering other peoples was not that great and is wracked with guilt.
There is everything in this. Bounty hunter/cop Uruk Hai, Conan riding a griffin, another Conan reference by way of a non-binary actor playing a non-binary revolutionary named Milius, weird parasites speaking through their human hosts, lightsabers that are somehow cooler than actual lightsabers etc.

Generally speaking, it was fun, though not amazing, but elevated by the cast going ham and taking the material 100 percent seriously and Snyder's visual flair. I cannot wait to double feature the R rated cuts when both parts are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I really liked how Noble did not buy the lie about the harvest because everyone from the village was just too buff and hot. Also, his inability to understand that everyone contributes and everyone benefits, forcing Sindri to just humor him and pretend he agrees.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 22, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Like the squid creature at the bar. It’s cool! I like it! But what does it mean? Who are these things that take over people as puppets? Are they threats? Idk, stuff like that I wish was more incorporated into the universe
I'm cool with people not liking it, but this is such a weird criticism. Sometimes there are just strange greebly guys. They are cool. There was a dozen of them in the cantina in Star Wars. Your bff James Gunn had a bunch of weird guys in every GotG without going into detail about what their deal is. It establishes that humans are not the only sentient species in the universe.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Look how personal you made this because I didn't like this movie.

I was just pointing out what I consider a double standard. I don't think you are a bad person for liking James Gunn. I'm sorry it came out that way. My bad CP.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 23, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

I want to go back to what I think is nonsensical (but I want to stress that for me it's not a big deal). It's not the actions, it's the scale. The world is too empty. The admiral commanding a "world destroying" ship, of this impossibly huge machine that keep whole worlds under their heel, visits a village to ask for grain? And that happens to be same village where there are the most wanted woman in the universe and a farmer that personally knows the leaders of the interplanetary insurrection?
It's movie logic, it doesn't really hold to scrutiny.

Again, Star Wars.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Papercut posted:

It's the worst movie I've ever seen

I've seen someone on twitter say that it's literally unwatchable and all I can say is: jeez you people must not see a lot of movies, huh?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Brb gotta do some light holiday reading https://twitter.com/femmevillain/status/1739339265698390252?t=HTgWU4m8ZziGs4yDTkWmRw&s=19

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Roth posted:

Holy poo poo

I don't know what to tell you. It feels a bit unnecessary.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Given that the first half of the movie seems untouched, it's safe to assume that the second half was originally twice as long. 60 minutes is enough to give 10-15 minutes to each new character and account for all the missing footage in the final fight scene. And, of course, much of that runtime would have included scenes of the characters interacting with eachother. Because of that overlap, each new character may have had like 20 minutes of fleshing out. Think of how much is conveyed about Jimmy and the one good soldier in just a few minutes.

Netflix, insanely, chose to shorten the film by focusing exclusively on Kora and reducing nearly all the recruited characters to macguffins. Literally, they are just powerful objects that the protagonist and antagonist are attempting to collect. At the same time, because they preserved some of the action scenes, a good 25% of the film grinds to a halt to advertise the power of the macguffins. I don't think we can pin this on the director, because I can't see any director doing this intentionally.

Bit of a tangent- you usually have some unusual or underseen recs. Anything particularly interesting you've seen this year that you might recommend?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Solus posted:

Why are half the shots out of focus man

They are not? In focus doesn't mean the background is as sharp in focus as the focal point of the image.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Solus posted:

I have eyes that work I can assure you - some of these shots in the first act have no focal point, it’s just awfully focused and he’s used a crap lens for stupid reasons

https://www.techradar.com/streaming/netflix/zack-snyder-built-a-whole-new-camera-lens-to-give-netflixs-rebel-moon-a-distorted-retro-look

oh boy.

Can you post some examples of shots you consider to be badly composed?

Majkol fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 29, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Nodoze posted:

A lot of people enjoy spectacle with zero substance

But enough about Marvel movies.

Nah. That's silly. Every movie has some substance, sometimes that substance is drain-hair.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 30, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
If y'all like what Snyder has been doing with his cinematography since AotD, I recommend checking out the new FX show Shogun. It's used sparingly but the choices they do with their lenses and how some shots are composed are strongly reminiscent of his style.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

Love how goons defending the last movie were all “listen, the impracticality of the stupid grain doesn’t matter, it’s just a power play by the empire to mess with them” when this movie spends so much time showing that the grain actually was very important. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes showing them harvest the wheat by hand in future sci-fi world with floating wagon tech.

This movie was absolute garbage.

I am only 21 minutes in and this already one of the dumbest things I have read. The grain is not plot important in part 2, the rebels only assume it is because they don't know Balisarius is alive and wants to capture Kora so that's the conclusion they come to which is perfectly logical. The harvest is however a good representation of people coming together, working towards a common goal and building trust through teamwork and communal labour.
Find a complaint that does not betray your inability to follow basic plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

checkplease posted:

The Kali isn't a contradiction of conquering and stealing tech. Instead of inventing fusion or warp drives, they captured and enslaved some goddesses and use them like matrix batteries.

I read there is supposed to be an animated short film to explain this capture so guess we will find out more.

There are red tubes leading from the coal furnaces into her and then blue tubes leading from her upwards into the ship. The "tech" is literally just enslaving other beings who do the work for them. There is no contradiction as you say.